Trizone

Is this the Fastest Triathlon and Time Trial Bike on the Planet?

We have been testing out the new Cycpro bike, and in our view this is the fastest bike on the planet! Not only that but it looks unbelieveably cool - like something out of a batman movie!

Don't just take our word for it Sergio Marques has been riding this bike and Dr John Hellemans (Sports Medicine Practitioner, ex-triathlon coach and multi age-group world triathlon champion) has been raving about it. Read the article here http://www.tinyurl.com.au/7bh

What do you guys think about it, and hands up who wants to buy one!

It is a soft ride! :lol::lol::D

For the fastest bike in the world - it is yet to have the fastest bike split - so i think i will reserve my judgement.

Is this the bike everyone has been talking about - circa 1980s.

I don't like bikes that look like someone forgot something - Just looks weird not cool.

I would not want to wheel that into transition.

Whats new about this one??

Its been around for a few years now, and Mr Batistella is hardly the best advertisement for.... well anything really!

For me the Softride is the fastest bike in the world as I did my best IM bike split on it.

And the Ridley has vortex generating stickers on it so it MUST be fast. :lol:

Everyone was tlkaing about this bike at the cafe on the weekend, apparently it's so fast it's bullsh*t...

The fastest bike is whatever Cancellara is paid to ride......

The beam bike concept makes more sense if there is no curved UP top tube so you have MORE stand over clearance(not less as you do with this one)

So with Softride, Zipp, Lemond boomerang, Pearson and carbonsports that I know of, there were 6 different beam bikes made.

The beam bike concept makes more sense if there is no curved UP top tube so you have MORE stand over clearance(not less as you do with this one)

So with Softride, Zipp, Lemond boomerang, Pearson and carbonsports that I know of, there were 6 different beam bikes made.

TREK Y-Foil, TitanFlex, Allsop and others (using a softride beam)

Don't forget the Trek Y66 that Mike Pigg used to ride as well.

This not a TT bike. TT is a UCI sport with strict rules about what bikes must include this bike includes none of that. It is not legal for TT therefore it is not a TT bike.

Is thread a surreptitious infomercial?

Don't forget the Trek Y66 that Mike Pigg used to ride as well.

This not a TT bike. TT is a UCI sport with strict rules about what bikes must include this bike includes none of that. It is not legal for TT therefore it is not a TT bike.

Is thread a surreptitious infomercial?

No mate, we have no commercial link with these guys at all, just got to ride the bike and loved it.

No mate, we have no commercial link with these guys at all, just got to ride the bike and loved it.

Then you do not test enough bikes... :lol:

OMG; fastest bike it may be - but you've still got to build the 'internal engine' to ride it... I don't think it's going to make the average Joe ANY faster... but I always loved a beam bike for rough bitumen! Always seemed to smooth them out a bit!

Edited by nrmoz

Im riding this at the moment,, I reckon its a tad quicker than Beam Boys bike!

2264072780101159333S600x600Q85.jpg

even without any pedals?

Yep!!

It is 5.7kgs, I didnt want to spoil it with accesories like pedals and stuff.

I drive it to the cafe and then park it there, its more impressive when folks lift it up, if I dont have pedals weiging it down.

More seat tube than Plaz's giraffe's bike !!!!!!

Pro fit mate.

If you cant see your doodle you probably cant ride this bike. :lol:

(Wonder if specialized would lik eto use that as an ad slogan)

OMG; fastest bike it may be - but you've still got to build the 'internal engine' to ride it... I don't think it's going to make the average Joe ANY faster... but I always loved a beam bike for rough bitumen! Always seemed to smooth them out a bit!

should i get one for yeppoon then :lol:

Edited by krustvic

On the understanding that you would use Trizone to promote it perhaps? hardly an unbiased review.

Looks perfectly normal to me...

09042010176.jpg

Tarmac pro fit.

Guest Rentakill

Dear Mr Trizone....

I believe you are seriously eroding your already extremely limited credibility.

It will be amusing to watch your further self immolation.

Keep the advertorials for crap fifteen years old and proven as complete shit coming. I have ridden a few of those beam bikes and they wobble all over the place. Fast descending and seated climbing is like riding a piece of wet spaghetti. Descending in particular they are downright dangerous, the beam shifts your weight sideways at the worst possible moment. Give me one to try going down the Waterfall descent, which has a hairpin that you hit at about 60-70 kmh and we'll see how good they are.

Might be OK for triathlons riding in a straight line, but if I was going to have one point of contact for the frame to the drivetrain it would be at the other end i.e. the Lotus or superbike design which has been proven to be the fastest bike in the world. Chris Boardman set the world hour record which was over 56km on one. Dont know if you have ever heard of him, but I think his feats provide more credibility than your pundits. As has been pointed out these bikes are completely illegal in UCI events, maybe the punters should know that.

It will be like watching a train crash. I cant look away.

There are people on this site that have forgotten more about cycling and bikes in general than you will ever know. But then again, if someone thinks it looks good and it doing them good and wants to part with their hard earned cash, let em go their hardest. But what would I know.

Might be time to get your cheesy head out of your arse.

Incidentally did you get any money for your advertorial? Or are you just doing it out of the goodness of your heart and trying to contribute valuable and factual information for nothing like a bunch of people on here do, some who make money out of making people go faster on bikes.

Edited by Rentakill

Guest Rentakill

I picked that thing up the other day and my immediate reaction was "where is the rest of it"...... :lol: Funny how in cycling the punters can actually buy better equipment than the pros are allowed to ride huh? They would have to put a kilo on that bike to make is legal to race. All standard parts too..

...... actually while we are on that what is the total weight of the beam bike? The ones I rode were horrendously heavy as well.

to add insult the biike is pictured with the "fastest wheels on the planet"

can we get a reveiw on them too?

I picked that thing up the other day and my immediate reaction was "where is the rest of it"...... :lol: Funny how in cycling the punters can actually buy better equipment than the pros are allowed to ride huh? They would have to put a kilo on that bike to make is legal to race. All standard parts too..

...... actually while we are on that what is the total weight of the beam bike? The ones I rode were horrendously heavy as well.

My Softride was comparable with the weight of a modern lightweight freeride bike :lol: around 15kg I reckon

I reckon my Powerwing frame would weigh about the same as the complete SL3!

Might check it tonight.

Doesnt mean I dont still love it. I have a Ultegra 10 speed groupset at home, might rebuild it for a laugh!

Currently piecing together a fixie using an old Softride frame that has been in the garage unridden for 5 years. The Softride was good for my back (and meant that I could actually ride) before my back operation. But it weighs about the same as my Willier, Cervello and Trek MTB combined.

Even with you on it? :lol::lol:

It probably says more about my sense of humour than I'd care to let on - but geez I love threads like this!! :lol::lol::D

Even with you on it? :lol::D

Last time I saw beam boy in a race I was on my old Specialized and as I caught him the converation from me went kinda like

"Gettouta the farquin way you idiot!" :lol:

So yeah,, even with me on it!

It probably says more about my sense of humour than I'd care to let on - but geez I love threads like this!! :lol::lol::D

You mean threads about how good Specialized tarmacs are? Hi Jack, ob fews Kate!

Dear Mr Trizone....

I believe you are seriously eroding your already extremely limited credibility.

It will be amusing to watch your further self immolation.

Keep the advertorials for crap fifteen years old and proven as complete shit coming. I have ridden a few of those beam bikes and they wobble all over the place. Fast descending and seated climbing is like riding a piece of wet spaghetti. Descending in particular they are downright dangerous, the beam shifts your weight sideways at the worst possible moment. Give me one to try going down the Waterfall descent, which has a hairpin that you hit at about 60-70 kmh and we'll see how good they are.

Might be OK for triathlons riding in a straight line, but if I was going to have one point of contact for the frame to the drivetrain it would be at the other end i.e. the Lotus or superbike design which has been proven to be the fastest bike in the world. Chris Boardman set the world hour record which was over 56km on one. Dont know if you have ever heard of him, but I think his feats provide more credibility than your pundits. As has been pointed out these bikes are completely illegal in UCI events, maybe the punters should know that.

It will be like watching a train crash. I cant look away.

There are people on this site that have forgotten more about cycling and bikes in general than you will ever know. But then again, if someone thinks it looks good and it doing them good and wants to part with their hard earned cash, let em go their hardest. But what would I know.

Might be time to get your cheesy head out of your arse.

Incidentally did you get any money for your advertorial? Or are you just doing it out of the goodness of your heart and trying to contribute valuable and factual information for nothing like a bunch of people on here do, some who make money out of making people go faster on bikes.

Wow! Who is 'Rentakill'? This was all started with the posting of an article written about this new bike by Dr John Hellemans. For those of you who are not aware of Dr Hellemans read this http://www.altipower.com/consult/drjohn.html. John has been riding this bike recently which is built by Graeme Pearson in New Zealand. Also Sergio Marques (Portugese pro) just road one in the St George Ironman in Utah. Read Dr Hellemans article to see where this came from. http://trizone.com.au/News/10-05-09/Is_thi...the_Planet.aspx.

Me, I am just an age grouper who got the opportunity to ride a new bike. Happy to have had ther opportunity as well. It is a very cool bike to ride regardless of what people may think it look like.

Good to see a lot of passion around the subject.

Guest Animal
Wow! Who is 'Rentakill'?

Oh shite, you shouldn't have said that! Look out! :lol::):lol::):D:D

Guest Rentakill
Wow! Who is 'Rentakill'? This was all started with the posting of an article written about this new bike by Dr John Hellemans. For those of you who are not aware of Dr Hellemans read this http://www.altipower.com/consult/drjohn.html. John has been riding this bike recently which is built by Graeme Pearson in New Zealand. Also Sergio Marques (Portugese pro) just road one in the St George Ironman in Utah. Read Dr Hellemans article to see where this came from. http://trizone.com.au/News/10-05-09/Is_thi...the_Planet.aspx.

Me, I am just an age grouper who got the opportunity to ride a new bike. Happy to have had ther opportunity as well. It is a very cool bike to ride regardless of what people may think it look like.

Good to see a lot of passion around the subject.

My name is Christopher Dale Flannery... :lol:

I first met John when we raced against each other in the North Queensland Triathlon Championship in 1984, the forerunner to the now many and very successful events run by USM. He won and a bloke called Murphy Reinschreiber was second and Andrew Steele third. I was somewhere in the top ten under a nom de plume after riding with John for a goodly portion of the bike. I've never heard of Sergio. Sounds like a drug dealer from the Cross.

Although I was a professional hitman and killed people for a living before I was myself murdered I had a secret passion for triathlons, that was engendered by my living at the Connaught apartments in Sydney at the same time as a successful triathlete from that era.

Wow! :lol:

..... and I still think the bike is rubbish. Tell where the stadium is that you will setting up for "people lining up to buy one". Actually I dont think you will need much more space than a telephone box.

Seriously mate, do you think this does your credibility any good as an authority on things triathlon?

Edited by Rentakill

Wow! Who is 'Rentakill'?

"Flannery was a complete pest. The guys up here in Sydney tried to settle him down. They tried to look after him as best they could, but he was, I believe, out of control. Maybe it was the Melbourne instinct coming out of him. He didn't want to do as he was told, he was out of control, and having overstepped that line, well, I suppose they said he had to go but I can assure you I had nothing to do with it."

And yes, any thread with a picture of a SL3 is a winner with me! :lol:

Guest Animal

Just had a quick flick through the article - a few points:

It does appear you were given the bike to ride? Not just allowed to ride it and review it like some other magazines do then hand it back.

It seems the bike has had no time in the wind tunnel. The leading manufacturers don't just test bikes in the tunnel, they design and engineer them there. Without some sort of objective testing we can't really tell how "fast" this bike is. Things that look fast often aren't and vice versa.

Anecdotal reports sit on a park bench in whoop whoop just next to useless, who didn't know how he got there. OK, bit extreme, but I like anecdotal reports to hear peoples opinions and thoughts, but not draw conclusions.

My brief thoughts (hey, I know nothing about cycling or anything I talk about keep in mind :lol:):

From front to back:

The fork - looks like just a fork - any research done into it's design and/or intergration and interaction with various front wheels?

The head stem area - stock standard the same as any entry level bike.

The top tube - the angle - how does that go in the wind - large frontal area.

The down tube - how does the down tube interact with the fork/wheel.

Placing a bottle on the down tube - how does that disturb airflow, and considering there isn't a seat tube trailing it closely behind to assist in reattachment, how does the air go hitting an already moving wheel?

The derailleur hanger - does it poke it's head up like a dog on a ute getting caught in the wind and causing turbulence.

The missing seat tube - who says bikes without seat tubes are faster then the current crop of "super aero bikes"?

The chaing rings - how dare they put a non-aero chain ring on.

It just looks like someone can't let go of their love of beam bikes rather then actually doing some homework on aerodynamics.

It isn't just frontal area that matters, it's how the bike handles air as it flows through/past and how the air leaves the scene of the crime....

It may work wonders, but without some actual valid and reliable testing we will never know.....

The geometry? Where is it.

As Rentakill said also - how does it actually perform/handle on road on courses with ascents/descents and corners. More and more triathlon courses are going to include these corners as courses become constrained due to road closures. The old 20km's out and 20kms back are almost gone.

Stiffness?

UCI regulations aside, I really don't think the majority of cycling manufacturers would bother making beam bikes anyway. By taking out the seat tube, the rest of the design is automatically largely based on trying to make the bike ridable without a seat tube, then aerodynamics secondary.

As to this claim "Further field testing since has shown the Cycpro to be consistently faster then my conventional bike by at least 60-90 seconds over 40 km"

What conventional bike? A round tube road bike - well I don't doubt it, almost any of the aero bikes around these days make that claim and then some, but fortunately most back it up with some tunnel time.

Anyway, I'll be riding one in my next race report :lol::):D:)

Guest Rentakill

Seriously fellas, did you think you wouldnt cop a hiding and ridicule for posting that bit of advertorial as credible editorial content?

If you took the time to wade into the waters you would have noted as I advised you, there are highly credible and knowledgeable people on here that know more about cycling than you and your scribes ever will.

Internet forums are funny places huh? You post rubbish and you get bludgeoned. In the mag world people just stop buying em. A tri mag editor had a meltdown on here a while back and it went badly for him too.

You place yourself in the highly credible league of members here such as bike box manufacturer and a few other people flogging their stuff.

..... so you can continue you regale us with your empirical knowledge of all things triathlon which I reckon you could write on the head of a pin in three foot high letters if your advertorial is any guide. ..... but thats just my view and I'm dead anyway.

Guest Rentakill
"Flannery was a complete pest. The guys up here in Sydney tried to settle him down. They tried to look after him as best they could, but he was, I believe, out of control. Maybe it was the Melbourne instinct coming out of him. He didn't want to do as he was told, he was out of control, and having overstepped that line, well, I suppose they said he had to go but I can assure you I had nothing to do with it."

:lol::lol: A quote from the book "underbelly the golden mile" if I am not mistaken? Rumour has it I was murdered by those naughty boys from the local constabulary. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

....... poor George Freeman would be turning in his grave. I still see his sons all the time (and his ex wife who looks awright for an old duck.. :D ..) but I digress.

Read 'Snitch' by my old mate KX1 for the more accurate version.

Also Sergio Marques (Portugese pro) just road one in the St George Ironman in Utah.

Editor you say!

Petty I know, but funny!

Guest Animal

Back to the more important topic, how come every thread about bikes these days somehow descends down to roxii's freaking Specialized. I'm sick of it. :lol::):lol: I can't afford something like that.

Guest Rentakill

I thought the box more appropirate actually, they must be taking the piss trying to flog one of these things.... is it the first of April? :lol:

TREK Y-Foil, TitanFlex, Allsop and others (using a softride beam)

I agree these are beam bikes also , but at least they look a bit different to the original one posted ( I have my bike IM PB on a y-Foil)