Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Why is motorpacing so good?

Guest Animal
Well I use public roads Animal, but I do it where no-one sees us. Quiet country roads. I certainly wouldnt be doing it in Sydney. Im very discreet about it, but if people are going to be stupid and motorpace on busy roads, then the Police will enforce the law, which is to do with tailgating another vehicle. Its true that Police may turn a blind eye, but if we are going to do it under their noses then we are pushing our luck. I just want people to remember that we need to be careful where and when we motorpace, its an awesome training tool and we dont want to lose it or have a crack down as a result of people doing the wrong thing.

Couldn't agree more, I've mentioned it a few times, the last thing we need is a bunch of "cowboy" triathlon coaches racing around on postie bike or mopeds with a bunch of low skilled triathletes on aero bars sitting behind them in the middle of the cities around the nation - for some reason Tri coaches want to train on the most ridiculous cycling routes.

Motorpacing will be ruined for those that can gain the most from it by people who have the least to gain from it.

Derny Driver on a triathlon forum? Now I have seen everything.

Al won't be happy. Have you crossed to the dark side DD???

Edited by staelthrider

Derny Driver on a triathlon forum? Now I have seen everything.

Al won't be happy. Have you crossed to the dark side DD???

Haha gidday Paddy. I was a triathlete once you know (mid pack age grouper) before I saw the light. Its a beautiful sport, I just got tired of trying to train for 3 things at once, so I 'crossed over'.

Al Kader has retired, havent you heard? He has hung up his world champion dimpled skinsuit for good. Im looking for my next protege? You interested?

The aim was stealth rider, but signed up for the forum one late Saturday night and hence it became Staelthrider.

DD wih the talent you already have at your disposal you don't want or need me. I do too much swimming for your liking anyway and spend all day riding in the dead zone.

The aim was stealth rider, but signed up for the forum one late Saturday night and hence it became Staelthrider.

This is pure GOLD! Hopefully you were on the tailend of a few tinnies as well!

Motor-pacing on a public road is illegal, and to do it on a velodrome you need a motorcycle licence, a Cycling Australia/Triathlon Australia full race licence, and a derny drivers ticket.

I have both motorbike licence and derny driver's accreditation (and CA licence of course) but was not aware you were required to have a motor cycle licence to attaining derny accreditation on the velodrome.

Couldn't agree more, I've mentioned it a few times, the last thing we need is a bunch of "cowboy" triathlon coaches racing around on postie bike or mopeds with a bunch of low skilled triathletes on aero bars sitting behind them in the middle of the cities around the nation - for some reason Tri coaches want to train on the most ridiculous cycling routes.

Motorpacing will be ruined for those that can gain the most from it by people who have the least to gain from it.

Well the crash the other week was in a group run by a key protagonist of a Sydney based cycling club, going from the Eastern Suburbs to Kurnell and back. This was a paid training session.

The rider who was injured I believe has one or two broken hips, 6 broken ribs and was knocked out for 10-minutes so presumably had some reasonably serious level of concussion but not sure of their current state. I don't know who they are personally, I just listened to one of the riders who was on the ride.

I'm still flabbergasted by the stupidity of the whole deal, from a range of angles.

I have both motorbike licence and derny driver's accreditation (and CA licence of course) but was not aware you were required to have a motor cycle licence to attaining derny accreditation on the velodrome.

Actually Alex I think you are right, under the new rules a motorcycle licence may not be required for derny accreditation.

Well the crash the other week was in a group run by a key protagonist of a Sydney based cycling club, going from the Eastern Suburbs to Kurnell and back. This was a paid training session.

That is crazy cowboy stuff. Ridiculous.

I have done a fair bit of motorpacing in the past but without reading all the prior posts was wondering if someone could answer these questions. Does the motorbike have a roller on the back? Do triathletes actually sit on there tribars behind the bike?

I have done a fair bit of motorpacing in the past but without reading all the prior posts was wondering if someone could answer these questions. Does the motorbike have a roller on the back? Do triathletes actually sit on there tribars behind the bike?

Mine has a roller. I pace cyclists and I wouldnt recommend people do 50kph on tri-bars. When you are in the draft of a motorbike you dont need to be in an aero position, you need control. Road bike and normal bars is my rule. Why do you need a TT bike when you are in a perfect draft?

Im a bit baffled as to why triathletes would motorpace.

I motorpace cyclists for the purpose of track sprinting, track points and scratch races and occasionally road racing if the rider is at an elite level and needs to mimic the sort of speeds and conditions in a very fast bunch. I have never used a motorbike for track pursuit or Road time-trialling. There are better training methods for these events. And a triathlon is a time trial.

Mine has a roller. I pace cyclists and I wouldnt recommend people do 50kph on tri-bars. When you are in the draft of a motorbike you dont need to be in an aero position, you need control. Road bike and normal bars is my rule. Why do you need a TT bike when you are in a perfect draft?

I motorpace cyclists for the purpose of track sprinting, track points and scratch races and occasionally road racing if the rider is at an elite level and needs to mimic the sort of speeds and conditions in a very fast bunch. I have never used a motorbike for track pursuit or Road time-trialling. There are better training methods for these events. And a triathlon is a time trial.

+1

I have had the pleasure of a few sessions behind Derny's Derny on the velodrome. No way would I try it on the tri bars. It is gutsy work getting near the roller on the track bike and I still haven't got the courage up to touch the roller yet. The regular trackies sit on the roller the whole time but I have enough trouble following the painted line :lol:

I have had the pleasure of a few sessions behind Derny's Derny on the velodrome. No way would I try it on the tri bars. It is gutsy work getting near the roller on the track bike and I still haven't got the courage up to touch the roller yet. The regular trackies sit on the roller the whole time but I have enough trouble following the painted line :lol:

The roller is your friend and I encourage you to get up and give it a nudge (provided you have a good derny driver!). You'll find it really is nothing to be worried about and you'll probably wonder why you sat back all that time.

Guest Rentakill

Maybe if you have no mates or are personna non grata in the local bunches because everyone thinks you're a DH?? :lol:

Have done some pursuit sessions one on one on the derny with one lap on and on lap off i.e. you do one lap on the derny and then it swings off and then a flying lap on your own and then swing up and jump back on the derny and repeat etc. Ouchy... :lol:

But for triathletes motorpacing seriously, how many actually get to ride on their own, ever? A large majority have a deliberate tactic of sitting in the whole race and even some very successful age groupers on the basis of my direct observations deliberately set out to cheat as much as they can.

Most of them would be better off doing a bike race, only difference is in a triathlon they do it with their aero bars, wobbly boots and shit all over their bikes making them unstable and dangerous. Personally I would keep away from them.

One of the delicious ironies over the past few years has been that experienced cyclists had a raft of rules and regs applied to them in relation to not being able to wear non standard approved aero helmets (even up to national championship team pursuit level with reigning world champions in the team), yet a different regulatory body (TA) in precisely the same legislative and insurance liabilty environment allowed mass start events with thousands of cyclists with to be blunt greatly inferior skills ride with non standard approved helmets, bikes set up in such stupid ways they cant go around corners and considerably higher degree of risk.

I never understood that one.

Oh and DD I will be down the gong this year to engage in a few sessions methinks.

Yes thats why I asked those questions...I would have been utterly horrified if the answers came back...No there is no roller and the tri guys are down on their bars. The motorpacing I did was for cycling and with a very very experienced motorbike rider with the roller attached to the bike. It is more than safe to touch the roller but dont hit it hard...if you do you will find the tempo will be lifted. The MP I was doing was difficult not just for the speed and intensity but because of the elements like darkness, cold of winter and fog but if done correctly and with experienced riders it can be quite beneficial even for triathletes(on road bikes).

yep we need more agegroupers out there motorpacing :lol:

Generalising hey.......are you trying to say that pros have better bike handling skills or you prefer not to have more groups out there or something else?

Oh and DD I will be down the gong this year to engage in a few sessions methinks.

For sure mate it would be great to see you. I will let you know when we organise them.

Forget the motorbike, the boys will be queueing up to get in your draft.

By the way - we are introducing the motor pacing erg video training sessions at the Turbo Studio.

You ride on the ergo controlled trainer while the video shows you following the motor pacer in real time. Resistance is realistic and exactly as experienced by the rider with camera. It is all done relative to your own threshold, so no matter your fitness, you get a quality session.

We can run 8 riders at the same time.

Get all the benefits of a quality motor pace workout without the dangers or hassles of being on the road.

I'll even walk around with a roller and tap your front wheel if you like :lol: