yoyo

Have you been to RA Cycles?

has anyone physically been to RA Cycles in Crooklyn, NY ?

Will be over there in May and plan on dropping in with the Centurion Card, but am wondering if they actually have the seemingly huge amount of stock on their website, actually onsite in the shop ?? Anyone been there and know ?

No - not on my list last time I was there. However.

One of the US tri mags did a story on the family that runs it some time ago when I still bought magazines. I think the son was assuming the boss' seat, or it was part of a series about the leaders of the pack ( Nytro, De Soto, etc. ) or something like that.

Point being, the photos accompanying the verbiage made it look like a BCF-type for bikes. Shedloads of bikes, frames, wheels and walls full of bits. The management team came across as having dragged a family-run local bike shop into the current century of retail. Done some business over the years when the dollar is right and they do a pretty good job IMO. Two thumbs up.

If you have a couple of hours to spare I reckon it'd be worth a trip over the bridge. Plenty of 2013 frames in stock, I hear.

Edited by Krakov

Hey I'm going to be there in Nov and have been thinking the same thing. However I'm wondering what would be better. Paying the 15% or whatever sales tax for NYC and then taking the bike home in a box or else ordering there and having them ship it?

get the tax back when you enter australia wont you ?

Isn't it the other way round. Buy in Aussie and leave within 30 days in new condition you get the tax back.

In NYC mid/late this month. Will go and report.

I have been a couple of years ago. It is a smallish shop with stuff hanging from everywhere, given the website I thought it would be much bigger. They have a second room which also looked like the old store room which now was also a show room and I guess they have another store room.

Not much in the store outside of frames, components and wheels. It is smaller than you would expect given the amount of stock they have listed on the website. It was also not a great store for browsing as there is not much room to move and you pretty much ask for whatever you need and they get it from wherever it is hidden.

It is easy to get to as it is right off the freeway (van wyk I think) near the verrazano bridge.

Haven't been to it but I understand the SBR shop in Manhattan is better for looking around

Speaking of tardis bike shops - this is the best fun we ever had. Not NY.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sou...2,38.56,,0,2.58

Goto agree, stay just around the corner from there last year.

was a great shop with plenty of bargains, they didn't speak much English but we managed to have some great conversations with hands and words.

still smarting over the merckx frame in my size i left behind :lol: .

Goto agree, stay just around the corner from there last year.

was a great shop with plenty of bargains, they didn't speak much English but we managed to have some great conversations with hands and words.

still smarting over the merckx frame in my size i left behind :lol: .

She managed to tell Steely he was fat with no English at all!! :D:lol::D:D

Hey I'm going to be there in Nov and have been thinking the same thing. However I'm wondering what would be better. Paying the 15% or whatever sales tax for NYC and then taking the bike home in a box or else ordering there and having them ship it?

Edit: Who ate me post?

Show em your passport. Should get out of the 15% tax. Has worked for me in CA and OR.

Next ask if you can split the invoice into 2, pay one with card and the other with something else.

When you get home show customs the one invoice. You may still have to pay duty, but it'll be a lot less.

If you send home you'll need a customs agent, and will cop duty, plus freight.

Edited by fishboy

I 'heard' that they are happy to include one version of the invoice (that is very attractive in terms of customs duites..) with the bike and another to follow by post... I even heard that they suggested this idea to the customer...