Steno

Busso

Hi All,

The leadup:

I felt like I had trained very well in Bike and Running. I had purchased a powermeter and as Alex says this is almost like cheating. I had done a lot more long runs (over 2hours – about 10) including a half mara PB of 1.45 a couple of months ago after 150kms the day before and my running and riding had improved.

Work got a little busy seeing me interstate on Monday and Tuesday and flying into Perth on the Wednesday.

Everything is set for the race. Fantastic Wed – Fri including 30kms on the bike course and a drive of the run and ride. I find where the wind is likely to be, where the road surface changes, etc. I believe I am quiet meticulous in my planning and approach – not as far as Fluro, but more so than most. I had been drinking the course drink in training sessions, until they changed it. A taste at the High 5 expo tent and seems ok and makeup is stronger but fairly similar to what I was training on and had raced on three weeks prior.

The two days before I eat like a horse to fulfil my carbo loading per a plan put together by a dietician from Victorian Institute of Sport. I drink liters upon liters to fulfil my tested hydration requirements.

The night before I head down to the swim course and spot the bouys and what my course will be. I had done little swimming training and needed to be as efficient as possible: Average of a swim every fortnight for the last 12weeks……. I sleep like a baby.

The race:

Up at 4.30 and down to transition. Calm, relaxed and feel great. Fresh and ready for what should be a great day. Have my nutrition organised including a sticker on my bike with CHO makeup of gel, high 5 and bars.

Swim gun go’s off and am away. Find space after a couple of hundred meters and pretty lucky. Jump on some feet going past and stick there until goggles decide that they will fill up with water. Huh? Never happened in training swim on Thursday and are almost brand new. Adjust and same thing happens 200m later, repeat for a third time and then a kick to the head. This kick pushes the leaking left google almost through my head; however it creates a perfect vacuum seal!!!!

Turn at the end of the pier in 31mins and very surprised. Start heading to the bouy you have to keep to your left and I am alone. Swim on and have a look under my arm and no one around except one guy about 20meters in front

and one other guy 10 or so meters behind.

About 3km in, I swallow a load of water and cough for next 50meters, but it clears and feel ok.

I am feeling great and pretty certain with my direction from studying the night before and starting moving further and further away from everyone else. What to do? I question myself but figure I should trust myself and not follow hundreds of others and then suddenly from behind a lifesaver boat appears the blue bouy (why was the boat in the way and why was the buoy blue??). I have swam a perfect straight line straight on top. I turn and head to the shore. I get out in a surprising 1.09.. 5min PB off no swim training and I feel great.

Into T1 and I go as quick as I can… Out and onto the bike.

Bike:

Shepparton Half Ironman (3 weeks prior in 35odd degrees): 166watts and felt great

FTP is 207watts and target is 141 to 161watts for Ironman.

First lap: 141 watts, 146BPM (I am 30years) and time of 1.51hours – no stops. Come to the 60km mark and start of new lap and feel fantastic. Feel I will only get quicker and 5.30-5.45 bike time will be a walk in the park…..

Second lap:

80kms in and bang… I start to feel sick and I watch my power disappear. I have been eating and drinking. The weather is still bearable, but I feel like I want to through up; but a couple of km’s later I do. I say goodbye to a Cyco (Warren I think his name was doing his first IM) and I slowly drop away. Another 5km and another feeling of sickness. A drink of High 5 and I through up. A gel and I throw up and I couldn’t swallow bars. By 100km, I have spent an hour feeling sick with no energy. I can’t stomach gels, I am burping, dryreaching, I am done…. I go for some coke just for the taste and feel ok. I move to water….

110km, another 20mins and try a gel. No good.

I stop for sunscreen at 115km and pour water over myself to clean everything up. 65kms to go, my run of the mile bunch ride at home that I can do blindfolded I reason with myself. At 120km I know I am big trouble and I think how things change so quickly.

Lap 2: 137watts, 156bpm and time of 1.58 (without time for sunscreen stop)

Another 10kms in and I have thrown up probably 2 or 3 more times. I stop at the first aid station and pour water over myself and go to the toilet. Didn’t need to I just didn’t want to be there. I then hit 22.5km of the lap turnaround and realise it is 60km or about 2hours with no food, in fact losing food. I turn to Coke to try to salvage a race. My goal of 11.19 is gone and I adjust to finish. This was quiet a shift from just a couple of hours before.

Repeat for the next hour. Coke and water and I start to feel beter. No power, but not like I want to throw up. I have never had coke in a race before, never even on the run and now I am relying on it for the next however many hours.

About 10kms from the end of the ride, I have slowed to a crawl (24-28kmph). I honesly didn’t know if I would finish the ride, people are passing me every 15secs or so. A friend rides by and then another. I am spent and can’t do anything about. I am shaking and have no energy. I consider getting off and walking the last 5kms with my bike. I feel it will be safer than passing out and falling off my bike. Probably also safer not to attempt a marathon, so I decide if I am going to be stupid in the run, why not continuing with the bike.

Lap 3: 116watts, 154bpm and time of 2.12 (without time for toilet)

I rode about a 6.10 all up and some 40mins or so lost in last 100km.

I try to put on a show and run into T2. I get to the chair and collapse. Volunteers rush to me and give me a water and another throws a couple on me. A third volunteer puts sunscreen on me as some crouches in front on me and asks how I am. I realise the IM is still going on and start to take my bike shoes off.

Run:

Runners on, Gels in pocket and out I go with a round of applause; bit unusual I thought. I jog for about 100meters and I am done. I feel sick and fold over. I don’t throw up.

I run for about 50meters and the same happens. I feel faint and if I am about to pass out. My wife and friend come beside me and say little. I keep moving. First km 9mins something. I try a gel at first aid station and gag instantly. I drink coke and grab an orange. I figure if I eat and drink whatever I can stomach I will come good at 6km turnaround and salvage a race… It didn’t happen. I jog for maybe 100meters and have to stop feeling faint and my walking pace blow out to 11min kms. I continue to walk at 9mins kms without….

I hit 6kms at around 55mins….. WTF??? I start to run with anger for probably as long as I run for the entire day. I stumble and rest against a tree. This wouldn’t work for 36kms…. I walk through the first 14km in around 2hours… My brain is functioning enough to say that I have 4hours, 4 long long hours left.

I pass people walking, I find this very very funny: small things amuse small minds and I was trying to find humour anywhere. The support on the side lines is great. I decide to enjoy it. I get a “your looking good” and they get “and my phone number is….”, “going well” gets “gee you have really low expectations of me”, “you will become an ironman” gets “you can’t tell I am already one” and so on. People don’t know how to take it, but can see that I am laughing so they laugh alone.

On the first and second lap, it gets hot. People cover me in water thinking this is why I am not running. The race in Shepparton 3weeks earlier, was hotter. I thank them but try to avoid getting too wet.

I drop off my gels in special needs on second lap. Quiet the surprise to the guy that I dropped something off, not picked something up. I lose all feeling in my hands and feet.

I come up to my wife (who is a doctor) and ask what to do. She offers me a look of concern and just tells me to keep going. She knows I am not stopping, but that that is the best thing for me to do. I am glad she offered no advice. I get questioned by some volunteers with shiny vest’s that say Medical. I use some big words and they let me be. I head out on the last lap…

4 and a bit hours in and the blisters start to build from the friendly people wetting my shoes. They grow, I see Santa on the sidelines and ask him for new feet for Christmas. He offers legs, I said I didn’t want to be greedy. I get a laugh; I think at my dire state.

I wobble around for the next two hours and the sun sets. My dream of finishing in daylight gone. My dream of 11.19hours gone. My marathon PB of 4.12hours gone. Everything gone except my spirit. I have only had water, coke and orange slices for 9hours. I am not well.

I hit the finish shoot with a kind of shuffle, waddle, walk. I get on the soft sand and basically can’t move. The pain and extra effort bring me to tears. I hear the announcer calling for medical assistance. I slowly get up the finish line and realise I can’t read the time clock, my vision is a bit off. I rest on the fence and keep going. The announcer says something and gives me a smile, I give one back and say “I was awful” with a laugh, the announcer laughs loudly. We both realise it was the way I had planned. Across the finish line and three people grab me.

Into the tent… They try to take me to medical. I sit on the outskirts and tell the volunteer I am alright; my only issue is blisters. I take my shoes off and socks and the Irish volunteer “Oh fu@#ing hell” and calls his friend over to see my feat that look like they have been in a bath for 6hours (they have been) and the blisters cover my entire heel and on each toe.

I get up and shuffle outside in the dark.

I have consume 4gels, 1 bar and 2 bideons of sports drink from the plan. Coke and orange slices supplement it…

I walk away from the finish line and hear people being announced as Ironmen.

I cry…

The End.

Edited by Steno

Yes. This is a race report.

People might commiserate with you or say that you'll learn more from this than you will from a successful race. Personally I think that's all crap. What I take away from your words is that you suffered horribly.

Your suffering and the fact that you had enough pride, stupidity and stones to gut it out and get a finish means that this is the race that makes you far more interesting. A DNF would still have hurt more. What did the other accountants do on their weekend?

Great report. So much more interseting than a Kona qualifier or a PB. Out of interest, what do you think caused the melt-down?

That. is. massive.

Thanks for sharing Steno, stories like yours keep me going when the training and racing gets tough.

Out of interest, what do you think caused the melt-down?

I blame the bike service.......

Not sure if it was the ocean water, a bug I carried in from the week of travel (have had a shocking cold since; but think that came from the race effort) or the High 5 which was Berry Supercarbs something something.

Not exactly sure... Nutrition CHO wise and pacing with watts was spot on until I blew up.....

Moving report Steno.

Out of interest, at what stage did the race organisers change the nutrition offering? It seems tough to have trained on a product that was pulled relatively close to the race. Could this explain the high attrition rate?

As soon as I started on the Hi5, after I had consumed everything else i had, my guts started to go wrong. Cost me a bit of time, but was my own fault for not having my own stuff in special needs. Lesson learnt, have the supermarket in special needs!!

Hi 5 doesnt work for me!

Did you swallow a lot of seawater?

Apparently thats what did Berkel in. :lol:

Out of interest, at what stage did the race organisers change the nutrition offering? It seems tough to have trained on a product that was pulled relatively close to the race. Could this explain the high attrition rate?

Ok... this is from my point of view and it may not be fact...

I went off the 2008 race booklet as that was all that was available in October when I wanted to train on High 5. It used Energy Source Neutral. When the competitor book came out; some time mid Nov from my memory, my long training was all done and the drink for 2009 was Energy Source with New Supercarbs (whatever they are) in Berry flavour. Interesting to note Berry flavour is not an option on fastgear.com.au that I could see.

Also do a google for "fastgear" and have a laugh at the description of the website... :lol:

Edited by Steno

Awesome work Steno,, noone can doubt your tenacity!

So is this the same sort of thing that Fezza hd,, 'cause have anothe friend that DNF'ed with vomiting form about 60k's and swollen hands and feet etc,, so would be interested if anyone nails down what it was.

Fezza swelled which is generally an inbalance of salts/electrolytes; potentially hyponatremia

I did not swell so would say it was different (thankfully :lol: )- at least comparing Fezza to me.

Steno - don't know how you managed to stick it out - amazing job. Would have been so easy (and fully justified) to have pulled the pin. It's easy to forget it's a tough enough day to start with without things going wrong and making it much much harder. Well done on getting to the finish line.

Great work steno it was a tough day with alot of dented egos by the end (including mine)cant believe how many people were sick. by the way how was it you could get a hi5 that tasted right then get one that was really weak.

Hope the recovery is coming along well mate.

Funny enough... I feel almost fine. I was no where near as sore muscular wise as last time. Walking is much friendlier on the joints and muscles.

Perhaps some more consistant training is in order? :lol:

Not sure that I said I hadn't trained for it or consistently. I believe I am fit enough and the testing and training efforts I have done seem to agree to hit my goals. If I needed to train more consistently, I would be unemployed.

It is amazing how having a bit of mental strength, can get you across a finish line........................................................................

Edited by Steno

Well done buddy ! I could see you were really toughing it ut when I saw you :lol:

Fantastic effort matey !

EPIC!!!

What a day you had. No more lessons in hardening up needed for you- gutsy effort.

Thanks for the report- will knock some sense into some people (ME bascially) who think they could blagg their way through an Ironman with a small amount of training.

One word "Awesome". Time doesn't matter, it's the journey that counts.

Do you think you used too much energy in the swim, as you hadn't done much swim training. Did you take any salt on the first part of the bike?

Do you think you used too much energy in the swim, as you hadn't done much swim training. Did you take any salt on the first part of the bike?

No, not at all. I felt very relaxed and comfortable in the swim. I was actually surprised by how short it felt.

Took Hammer Endurolytes throughout the bike and run (10 in total)

What otter said.

Farkin hell mate, nice way to make me feel a whole lot worse about my DNF ;)

ditto :lol::cry::lol:;):lol::blink:

Good on ya for finishing the farkin thing.... :D:D:D

I'd say you prob had a bit of a Billy-ray Cyrus in the system mate....

You're still soft as butter though...

I blame the bike service........................

:lol::D:D:D

It seems tough to have trained on a product that was pulled relatively close to the race.

A good reason to not rely on the electrolye fluid provided on course.

After having problems with gatorade at Port, I now make up a biddon of strong endura (as many scoops as I can disolve in a biddon) and then dilute it into my aerobottle with water................................haven't had any issues since doing this :lol: .

Steno- well done on gutsing out a tough day ;)

Wow Steno. That's incredible.

Kudos to you for sticking it out.

As you asked trinube in the other topic - how do you feel about the race now? What's next? And have you figured out what happened?

how do you feel about the race now?

Very happy. I believed I had a certain drive and determination to finish things that I start no matter what happens... physically I proved this to myself. The day was perfect; a great swim, a quick T1 and a above expectation (time wise) first lap. I take away what I learned in training and some great memories of sessions with some great people.

What's next?

Who knows.... I don't. Did a sprint tri on Sunday which was a lot of fun, but was done a bit energy wise, particularly on the bike. Will get back on the bike after Christmas and make my mind up in next couple of weeks.

And have you figured out what happened?

Negative. Either sea water, a bug or the High 5. Will try not to drink the option, not to get sick and to practise on the race drink prior to race (however I tried to do all of this before the race anyway....)

One final thing: If you get the chance to do an ironman.... do it. It may just change your life......