Sign in to follow this  
hodgey

Commuting to work - Syndey

My wife and I have just moved back to Sydney. We are currently in Mosman and riding to the city is easy enough (in terms of traffic and routes) but we are looking at moving to the Upper North Shore and I am wondering if anyone commutes the city or North Sydney and has suggestions. I start reasonably early so I think coming in would be fine on Pacific Hwy (given it's also downhill). However, going home is likely to be a little more problematic. Appreciate any suggestions you may have for the best routes from the city to Lindfield/Killara of an evening c7pm.

thanks

used to do it about 15 years ago Pymble - City straight down the highway & fight buses on the way home.

Just as quick to ride as to train or drive in those days. I suppose bikes a lot faster now!!

whats Delhi Rd like these days?? can you get up it to the new cycleway down Lane Cove Rd to the city???

used to love riding the bridge on cool foggy mornings next no visibility!!

if you don't get a response here try PMing GJ or Brick as I think they both live up that way and commute to work quite regularly.

I've ridden Pacific Hwy from Hornsby to City once. That is enough to last a life time. There is a bike path off Kissing Point Rd at Turramurra that then picks up the bike paths around the uni and Epping Rd.

I ride in a couple of times a week from Normanhurst.

If I'm on my road bike I'll either go via Kissing Point Rd at Turramurra and connect with the M2 and then the excellent Epping Rd bike path or alternatively I'll head down to Gordon railway station and ride the hilly road that runs parallel with the railway line to Chatswood (where there are more good bike lanes and paths). Once onto these roads and off the highway you will feel a great deal safer. Both are good options for travelling to and from the city.

If you live in the Lindfield/Killara area you could come home via the Chatswood bike trails pretty easily or through Lane Cove National Park.

Plenty of options.

Ride safe. :lol:

I ride in a couple of times a week, Epping to Alexandria, through the city.

I go M2, Epping bicycle lane, harbour bridge & wollah !

The Epping Rd bike path is great !

I ride in a couple of times a week, Epping to Alexandria, through the city.

I go M2, Epping bicycle lane, harbour bridge & wollah !

The Epping Rd bike path is great !

I've done the KP Rd to M2 & rode in on a mtn bike once but didnt notice the path. Can someone tell me where the path is? Is it safe to ride a road/tri bike on it & where does it come out?

Am only looking at riding to work from Hby or Berowra.

cheers,

If you're a little further north then the go is definitely down Kissing Pt Road in Turramurra, M2, Epping Rd bike path and on through to the city.

If you're going to be in Lindfield the most direct route is definitely going to be up the highway. Whilst lots of people have issues with it, I rode the highway for about 7 years with little issue. If you're coming from Lindfield, you could skip up the highway to Chatswood, then jump on the gore hill bike path, and roll through from there. On the way home, it's a little harder, however there are actually quite a few bike paths up through north sydney, across through cammeray and so forth.

Happy to meet up some time and take you on a tour and help you find an appropriate path.

Pearso - the KP Rd bike path starts at the very bottom of Kissing Point Road. Go down KP Rd all the way to the bottom (i.e. from the Pac Hwy go down, cross over the Comenara Pkwy and keep going until the "dead end" at the bottom). Once you get to the bottom there's a concrete path that goes through the national park, crosses Brown's waterhole and comes up to the M2 just before the M2 hits the tollgates. You then just roll through the M2 to Delhi Rd, exit the M2 there (about 4kms in total on the M2, nice wide shoulder) and you then jump on the Epping Rd cycleway. This cycleway goes all the way from there through along the Gore Hill Expwy and dumps you out at Naremburn (by Whilloughby Rd). You then just roll down the side of the Warringah Expressway - the shoulder is anywhere from 3-6m wide in most places, rolld down the North Sydney exit then up and over the Harbour Bridge.

In terms of suitability of path - you can ride anything from a BMX to a full blown TT bike on it without a drama... I usually ride either a commuter bike or my road race bike...

Hodgey, if you're cycling home to Lindfield/Killara, I'd recommend picking up the bike path at Willoughby Road, Narremburn, taking the turn under the Gore Hill Freeway to the bike path that skirts the eastern side of Artarmon Oval, following the signs up to Mowbray Rd, through Chatswood via Archer St to Boundary St, then stick to the streets that most closely follow the eastern side of the train line.