Giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Le Tour de Disneyland 2009

Hello everyone

The Christmas is on Friday 25, and there are three working days in the week after. If you can take them

off from your workplace, you have 10 holidays! That's a lot of holidays to spend sitting at home doing obscene things with ourselves. So I am thinking of riding from Sydney to Hobart and see some Disneyland people like Tasmanian devil.

taz.jpg

The itinerary would look something like this:

Leaving Sydney on 25th Dec (Friday), and reaching Melbourne on 29th Dec, averaging 200km/day (roughly 7hours ride time).

30th Dec is the rest day, but we can wander around in the Melbourne city depending on how we feeling. Take a ferry to Devenport at night.

Following is the route map from Sydney to Melbourne:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source....919922&z=6

31st: Start at Devenport and reach Hobart on 2nd Jan 2010. Following is the route map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...3.22998&z=8

Fly back to Sydney on 3rd.

This will be ideal for those aiming to improve their bike leg to the Ironman distance. Any takers for the partial or full tour?

Five 200km rides back to back will be load of fun :lol:

Seven hours on a bike seat each day for five days sounds to my like it won't happen. I'm not saying it's impossible, I am saying it won't happen :lol:

Seven hours on a bike seat each day for five days sounds to my like it won't happen. I'm not saying it's impossible, I am saying it won't happen :D

My wife and I rode from Canberra to Melbourne in 1997. Left on December 20th and gave ourselves 4 days to get there before Christmas. The plan was to average around 150-160km a day. We had purchased bikes in about July that year and ridden them a bit so thought that the itinery should be fine ;)

Day 1 - Canberra to Gundagai ~ 180km - Flew out to Yass and then the fun started. Quite a few flats and a lack of water. One town didn't have any water (Harden I think). It was as dry as a bone. We had to buy Coke and survive on that. Not sure how long it took but we did finally make it to Gundagai.

Day 2 - Gundagai to Albury ~ 170km - Didn't make it. Hit the town with the submarine (Holbrook) and by that stage it was 42C into a strong head wind. We bunked down for the night and decided to have an easy day the next day and just to the final 60km to Albury.

Day 3 - Holbrook to Albury ~ 60km - Easy. Almost enjoyable.

Day 4 - Albury to Euroa ~ 150km - Getting a bit over it now. My wife keeps dropping me :blink: and it is still bloody hot despite starting each day at 4:30am.

Day 5 - Euroa to Flinders St Station ~ 150km - Got to Shepparton turnoff and 100km to go. I was ready to call it quits. Everything hurt. Soldiered on to a rest stop 50km from Melb. It started to rain :D:lol: Thought about getting my sister to come out and collect us. Felt somewhat ripped off that we had ridden around 600km and the net elevation hadn't really changed! Then decided that the last 50km must therefore be pretty much downhill! Was the best 50km of the trip. Rolled into Flinders St Station :D

Something like 650km and the sterling average of 22.5kph.

Gi, enjoy your ride to Hobart. Just pray for cool weather and a tailwind. If I were you I'd do Sydney - Melb and take the full 10 days to do that. Do 80-120km a day. You might enjoy that more and get some real benefit out of it. It might also give you a chance to avoid the Hwy for the majority of your trip.

Edited by Shuffla

Seven hours on a bike seat each day for five days sounds to my like it won't happen. I'm not saying it's impossible, I am saying it won't happen :lol:

Why Not?

I do something very similar each xmas/new years break, albeit average 150km a day (all hill rides) for 7 to 10 days depending on time off work.

In short, it helps make a huge difference in your cycling endurance/speed/strength.

ps: Best of luck with the ride Giiiiiiiiiii, a real adventure ride.

Gi, enjoy your ride to Hobart. Just pray for cool weather and a tailwind. If I were you I'd do Sydney - Melb and take the full 10 days to do that. Do 80-120km a day. You might enjoy that more and get some real benefit out of it. It might also give you a chance to avoid the Hwy for the majority of your trip.

and maybe schedule a rest day on the fourth or fifth day, just to freshen up a bit.

Why Not?

I do something very similar each xmas/new years break, albeit average 150km a day (all hill rides) for 7 to 10 days depending on time off work.

In short, it helps make a huge difference in your cycling endurance/speed/strength.

I like to kick off IM training with a long weekend of 3 x 150km rides. Usually the weekend before specific IM build starts. I handle that load now a lot better than I did in 1997 though :lol:

Why Not?

I do something very similar each xmas/new years break, albeit average 150km a day

Backing up 200km, day after day is quite a different story to 150km each day. I still say it won't happen.

My wife and I rode from Canberra to Melbourne in 1997. Left on December 20th and gave ourselves 4 days to get there before Christmas. The plan was to average around 150-160km a day. We had purchased bikes in about July that year and ridden them a bit so thought that the itinery should be fine :D

Day 1 - Canberra to Gundagai ~ 180km - Flew out to Yass and then the fun started. Quite a few flats and a lack of water. One town didn't have any water (Harden I think). It was as dry as a bone. We had to buy Coke and survive on that. Not sure how long it took but we did finally make it to Gundagai.

Day 2 - Gundagai to Albury ~ 170km - Didn't make it. Hit the town with the submarine (Holbrook) and by that stage it was 42C into a strong head wind. We bunked down for the night and decided to have an easy day the next day and just to the final 60km to Albury.

Day 3 - Holbrook to Albury ~ 60km - Easy. Almost enjoyable.

Day 4 - Albury to Euroa ~ 150km - Getting a bit over it now. My wife keeps dropping me :D and it is still bloody hot despite starting each day at 4:30am.

Day 5 - Euroa to Flinders St Station ~ 150km - Got to Shepparton turnoff and 100km to go. I was ready to call it quits. Everything hurt. Soldiered on to a rest stop 50km from Melb. It started to rain :lol::lol: Thought about getting my sister to come out and collect us. Felt somewhat ripped off that we had ridden around 600km and the net elevation hadn't really changed! Then decided that the last 50km must therefore be pretty much downhill! Was the best 50km of the trip. Rolled into Flinders St Station :D

Something like 650km and the sterling average of 22.5kph.

Haa! That was good attempt mate- considering that you bought bike only six months before your epic ride. But if I do 80-120km/day, then I will have nothing to do for rest of the day!!!

BTW, it's going to be headwind all the way - because of the southerly

Edited by Giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Seven hours on a bike seat each day for five days sounds to my like it won't happen. I'm not saying it's impossible, I am saying it won't happen ;)

:lol::D 200km in 7hrs is hiking, what about wind,hills,rough roads, traffic lights, then flats,etc,etc,etc :D:D

Edited by Chuckie M

and maybe schedule a rest day on the fourth or fifth day, just to freshen up a bit.

Yea mate. There's a rest day at Melbourne. :lol:

Have you ever ridden 200kms before?

I think it will take a fair bit longer than 7 hours each day - particularly if you are going it alone and are on open roads.

That ride to Ulladulla is more than 200km - i tried to do it in a day and only got as far as Sussex Inlet. What broke me was the hills after Kiama coming into Berry. So constantly undulating up and down and no shoulder for a lot of it made it pretty hairy in sections.

Then backing up day after day - the heat and the distance will take its toll on the legs.

Similarly Ulladulla to Bega - there is not much a shoulder that entire way and it is just constant rolling hills.

Good luck, i hope that you make it, but 200km a day consistently will be tough.

Trev, has a lot of miles in his legs and i would agree with AP - the difference between 150km and 200km is pretty big, particularly when they pile on top of each other.

Backing up 200km, day after day is quite a different story to 150km each day. I still say it won't happen.

Check out Epic Camp 2010 - 20 guys averaging 180km+ a day plus running and swimming

It better happen or I won't see the bottom of the country!! :lol:

Check out Epic Camp 2010 - 20 guys averaging 180km+ a day plus running and swimming

:D:D Scott Molina told me at Yeppoon they have a great pace line going for the whole ride, a lot easier than doing it on your "Pat Malone" :lol::D

:D:D Scott Molina told me at Yeppoon they have a great pace line going for the whole ride, a lot easier than doing it on your "Pat Malone" :lol::lol:

Molina and Gordo are in a pace line with the other world champs. Those of us with fulltime jobs will be doing a fair bit of it alone on our aero bars after we get spat out each morning!!

But if you qualify for Epic Camp - you have done a lot more base and have a lot more experience than GI who has just knocked over his first Half Ironman and hasn't been riding for very long.

Are you going to do any swim and run training while you are on your trip? :lol:

More importantly do you think you'll be able to get any quality training in after you've spent 10 (very big) days on a bike? You'll be 10 weeks out from IM and completely shagged after that ride.

Are you going to do any swim and run training while you are on your trip? :lol:

More importantly do you think you'll be able to get any quality training in after you've spent 10 (very big) days on a bike? You'll be 10 weeks out from IM and completely shagged after that ride.

I think I would love a swim after a long ride on a hot day. I wouldn't even need to change budgy smugglers. Will not carry running shoes, but hey, can run on beach iniit?!

Don't want to piss you off Giiiiiiiiiiiiiiii but its a bad idea unless you have plenty of experience, a few riders committed & a support crew vehicle.

TT everyday for 200k you must be kidding. You will finish the week smashed and unable to train for a while & you may end up sick depending on what average you punch out.

The shorter rides are a better idea that others have suggested or try riding to Canberra from Sydney which depending on where you start is just a tick over 250k, done it a couple of times & it is a farking hard ride & tough day. Ride around Canberra the following day for 100km easy. Ride onwards towards Jindabyne/Thredbo - plenty of climbs to get you strong. Have a rest day in the area or swim & run down there. Take a few extra days to ride back to sydney & take it easy, only TT'ing where possible.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do but be prepared for any conditions, i have ridden in the snowy mtns in late december and have been snowed on.

Don't want to piss you off Giiiiiiiiiiiiiiii but its a bad idea unless you have plenty of experience, a few riders committed & a support crew vehicle.

TT everyday for 200k you must be kidding. You will finish the week smashed and unable to train for a while & you may end up sick depending on what average you punch out.

The shorter rides are a better idea that others have suggested or try riding to Canberra from Sydney which depending on where you start is just a tick over 250k, done it a couple of times & it is a farking hard ride & tough day. Ride around Canberra the following day for 100km easy. Ride onwards towards Jindabyne/Thredbo - plenty of climbs to get you strong. Have a rest day in the area or swim & run down there. Take a few extra days to ride back to sydney & take it easy, only TT'ing where possible.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do but be prepared for any conditions, i have ridden in the snowy mtns in late december and have been snowed on.

MtbBoy

Thanks for the feedback mate, but the decision is already made. I have already b0oked flight back from hobart, and ferry from melbourne to devonport. It is inevitable. No matter comes rain, sun, storm or thunder. Will carry two spare tubes in case I get any puncture. Just let me know if you would like me to bring some Tassie cheese for ya :lol:

I have sarted asking around people about the places of interest that fall on my route. So, if you have anything to suggest, then please copy paste the following section with your comments just like comments from one of my Tasie friend under the last three stages.

STAGE 1: SYDNEY TO ULLADULLA 223KM - 25 Dec

???

STAGE 2: ULLADULLA TO BEGA 199KM - 26 Dec

???

STAGE 3: BEGA TO CANN RIVER 163KM - 27 Dec

???

STAGE 4: CANN RIVER TO SALE 233KM - 28 Dec

???

STAGE 5: SALE TO MELBOURNE 237KM - 29 Dec

???

Rest Day - 30 Dec (Melbourne)

???

STAGE 6: DEVONPORT TO LAUNCESTON 100KM 31 Dec

There are quite a few really nice food places along the road here, especially in the area just out of Devonport.

Ashgrove Cheese - One of the best places to buy good Tasmanian Cheese. I think there is also a chocolate factory here as well (or nearby).

Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm - highly recommended.

STAGE 7: LAUNCESTON TO BICHENO 234KM

Myrtle Park - This is very close to where I grew up. Good spot to have a rest during your ride (big hills coming up straight after). A really nice river flows through there... (St Patrick's River)

No real other destinations on this leg, but heaps of great scenery both on the coast and on the way there. You should make sure that you check out some of the beaches along there - some very nice spots!

STAGE 8: BICHENO TO HOBART 181KM

If you get the chance, you should try and check out the Freycinet Peninsula - this is one of the best places in Tassie and really is worthwhile walking over to Wineglass Bay if you have the time...

Richmond - This is a really picturesque old town that is worth stopping at.

In Hobart, it is the best time of the year to be down there. As I said, there is a big food and wine festival that goes for a week called the "Taste of Tasmania" I think it goes until 3 Jan so you will be there in time for it. You can't miss it - it is down on the waterfront near Salamanca Place.

Lucky for you it is daylight in Tassie until around 9:30pm. With 234km from Launceston to Bicheno, you may just need all that daylight. You realise most Tasmanians won't drive that far in one go :lol: Your chances of finding time on that schedule to 'walk to Wineglass Bay' are pretty remote, although if you like a nice drop of wine the Freycinet Vineyard is very good and it is actually on the 'highway' from memory.

As for things to do on the way, I'd suggest a good massage, followed by an even better feed and then as much sleep as you can.

Just take note that days 3 &/or 4 tend to be the hardest when doing these sort of big block rides (they are my boggy days at least).

Eat & sleep well at the end of each day, if you don't it just makes the next day harder.

:lol::lol: I am not being nasty, if you do complete that, it's your season over.if not withdrawl from the sport.just too much for your body to handle.What about your mood??, I did do 1000k one week, I was very depressed afterwards and during, just takes too much out :D:D

Guest Animal
This will be ideal for those aiming to improve their bike leg to the Ironman distance.

No it wouldn't. What would be ideal for those looking to improve their bike leg would be to undertake a balanced structured program of training where all energy systems are blended into a cyclic schedule over a period of not less then 5 and not more then 14 days.

Go for you life with the "tour" but don't believe the hype - this won't be better then other "training" (lets face it, this isn't training, it's exercise) and probably in terms of overall Ironman performance something like this will result in an overall slower time that could be achieved come March/April compared to as I said above, undertaking a balanced and structured training schedule.

I'm not writing to the OP specifically, more just to warn off others that may be led to believe that this sort of exercise is good for them and/or their race times.

:lol::lol: I am not being nasty, if you do complete that, it's your season over.if not withdrawl from the sport.just too much for your body to handle.What about your mood??, I did do 1000k one week, I was very depressed afterwards and during, just takes too much out :D:D

Mate, I know for sure I am better off doing this tour than sit at home and play with my... ummm... hand! Plus I will get to see the beautiful east coast of Australia!! :D

good luck dude, stage 5, 7 & 8 will be a great test of endurance

ulladulla is a nice place, been there a few times for fishing, chilling out, bega yeah bring back some cheese haha

LAUNCESTON is my favourite place though, that is one relaxed town & james boags lives there! get into that stuff

Take a good size tub of chamois cream! You don't want saddles sores man

Mate, I know for sure I am better off doing this tour than sit at home and play with my... ummm... hand! Plus I will get to see the beautiful east coast of Australia!! :lol:

:lol::D Stay at home be with your family do this for the week 20k swimming,500k bike,100k running. break up the bike and run into 2 long of each ,and fill in the gaps. That's the week that Scott Molina won kona in 1988. You will much better for it :D:D , go for a holiday afterwards, don't be to keen to jump into training after a Ironman, a mistake I made a few times ;):blink:

I'm not writing to the OP specifically, more just to warn off others that may be led to believe that this sort of exercise is good for them and/or their race times.

I agree 100%, it's this sort of thing that the guys who are never going to do a good IM anyway do to entertain themselves.

I say it won't even happen.

If it does, please write a race report, keep it brief, not too much detail or self indulgence, I'll give you ten minutes of my life to read it :lol:

But then the opposite :-

I've done 1000k weeks and finished with a race TT plus road race the following weekend etc.

Was as happy as Larry to do so.

Sure I was a little tired, legs where fatigued but leg speed was much better, strength had improved etc. despite that I could still set a PB in the TT on the final day of the 1000k's

It's all about how you do it. Maybe you did it for the wrong reasons.

Ride areas that are enjoyable/scenic or different ride routes/locations etc. a pace that you can do each and every day, sleep and eat well.

Have company for the rides where you can, or if not, you can enjoy the ride solo.

Make the ride an adventure not a tiring effort.

But then the opposite :-

I've done 1000k weeks and finished with a race TT plus road race the following weekend etc.

Was as happy as Larry to do so.

Sure I was a little tired, legs where fatigued but leg speed was much better, strength had improved etc. despite that I could still set a PB in the TT on the final day of the 1000k's

It's all about how you do it. Maybe you did it for the wrong reasons.

Ride areas that are enjoyable/scenic or different ride routes/locations etc. a pace that you can do each and every day, sleep and eat well.

Have company for the rides where you can, or if not, you can enjoy the ride solo.

I did this one all alone in Jan In FNQ preparing for NZ Ironman 2004, because Gordo was doing it in NZ at the time.The riding was alone on rough roads,strong wind, at times looking for water as I ran out in the heat of the day!, not very nice at all, plus there was the swimming and running, it killed me, as simple as that, lesson learn't

Edited by Chuckie M

I did this one all alone in Jan In FNQ preparing for NZ Ironman 2004, because Gordo was doing it in NZ at the time.The riding was alone on rough roads,strong wind, at times looking for water as I ran out in the heat of the day!, not very nice at all, plus there was the swimming and running, it killed me, as simple as that, lesson learn't

Therefore I'm inclined to think that you did it for the wrong reasons??

This is one of the great secrets to training well, train for the adventure of it. See it as part of a great life. Not a chore :lol:

Bourne, i can't believe that you are seriously entertaining this idea. It is downright dangerous.

I completely agree with anyone who has said that he would be better off doing some other training around Sydney or something a little smaller.

The way this has been mapped out, it isn't far off a troll post.

From my little understanding of the man - Gi has completed 1! Half Ironman on only a small base - it was his first triathlon or thereabouts - he hadn't spent years riding bikes before this.

I just don't see the benefit of encouraging someone who is new to the sport to undertake such a task.

Just look at that schedule - Stage 4 and 5 back to back 200km stages! Stage 7 -234km. He isn't Lance Armstrong. The notion that he will have time to run and swim while also covering the distance is almost beyond belief.

If he had years of distance in his legs - then maybe he could do it. But as a first off- i have nothing better to do, so i will go out there and ride to Hobart - forget it.

Gi - maybe for the benefit of us skeptics you could answer a few questions -

How long have you been riding a bike?

How many kilometres would you generally cover in a week?

Have you ridden 200km before?

What is the furthest you have ridden in a day?

Are you going to be carrying all your food and clothing with you?

How many spare tubes are you going to take?

Have you thought of what your regular food intake would be on a regular day on your trip?

On a weekend have you ever done consecutive 200km days?

I don't think we should be encouraging newbies to undertake this sort of event, it is too dangerous and not good for his body. It seems like he plans on just riding the Pacific Highway down to Melbourne, probably the most dangerous route he could take.

Wot do you mean?!

Ever seen the movie 'Deliverance'?

Cann River is deliverance country mate - Hillbillies - and for Gods sake don't change your route and go anywhere near Bendoc :lol:

especially in those pink budgie smugglers :lol:

Bourne, i can't believe that you are seriously entertaining this idea. It is downright dangerous.

I completely agree with anyone who has said that he would be better off doing some other training around Sydney or something a little smaller.

The way this has been mapped out, it isn't far off a troll post.

From my little understanding of the man - Gi has completed 1! Half Ironman on only a small base - it was his first triathlon or thereabouts - he hadn't spent years riding bikes before this.

I just don't see the benefit of encouraging someone who is new to the sport to undertake such a task.

Just look at that schedule - Stage 4 and 5 back to back 200km stages! Stage 7 -234km. He isn't Lance Armstrong. The notion that he will have time to run and swim while also covering the distance is almost beyond belief.

If he had years of distance in his legs - then maybe he could do it. But as a first off- i have nothing better to do, so i will go out there and ride to Hobart - forget it.

Gi - maybe for the benefit of us skeptics you could answer a few questions -

Have you thought of what your regular food intake would be on a regular day on your trip?

I don't think we should be encouraging newbies to undertake this sort of event, it is too dangerous and not good for his body. It seems like he plans on just riding the Pacific Highway down to Melbourne, probably the most dangerous route he could take.

Hi Will

Following are the answers to your questions:

- I bought bike in April this year. So have seven months experience in bike.

- I generally ride only on the weekends. Roughly 200

- No

- I will carry energy gels, power bar, 4L fluids + protien powder. I will be travelling only in budgy smugglers of some floro colour so that I can go for a swim in the same attire after the ride.

- 2 tubes + 12 puncture patches. I can pickup more from Melbourne if I need.

- large bowl muesli + milk+ protien powder for breakie

- stake/chicken + 6 eggs for lunch

- pasta or wotever high carb food I can find for the dinner

- 1 L full cream milk + yogurt intake everyday + glucosamine + chondroitin + msm

- No

I absolutely agree that a structured training program and short rides around Sydney may be better. But this is a "tour!" It's heaps more exciting than small rides around Sydney.

Ever seen the movie 'Deliverance'?

Cann River is deliverance country mate - Hillbillies - and for Gods sake don't change your route and go anywhere near Bendoc :lol:

especially in those pink budgie smugglers :lol:

Haven't seen the movie but read the plot on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deliverance

Should I carry a hunting bow with me? Seriously, is it really an unsafe place? Do you think I would attract trouble if I am riding in bright pink budgy smugglers?

Best of luck for the ride Giii - hope it works ut and you get out of it what you are hoping for.... :lol:

Cheers,

Abby

I was initially thinking go for it Gi if thats what you want to do, but now I think he may be taking the piss????? :lol::lol:

I agree, smells like troll to me.