Sign in to follow this  
sunnygirl

Protein

After reading about protein intake in another thread I thought I'd ask for inventive ways that people include extra protein in their diets.

I have increased my protein intake this year - not dramatically - but enough to be staggered by the improvement in recovery, building muscle mass and also help trim weight. I've been underconsuming protein for years - would be very interested to see what performance would have been like with more protein.

Like GJ, I have also increased the protein content of my diet this year and have been really happy with the results.

80% of the athletes who contact me to be trained are not consuming enough protein to be doing the hours of training they are attempting.

If you want to age well, that's the major nutrient to pay attention to

I encourage athletes to take Endura Opti after every session.

I suggest they have protein in every meal and snack :lol:

It's quite easy to increase protein intake in snacks by always having raw almonds available or canned fish in the desk drawer at work.

Those mixed nut bars are good to have in your glove box for times when you're out and need something, but can't find something worth eating. You wouldn't live on them, but they can save you eating crap.

We don't get too serious about measuring exact amounts but if you were that anal you should aim for 1.5gms per kg of lean body weight.

I find a more casual approach with each meal containing 30-40% protein in volume, then eating every three hours, will give you about as much as you can digest.

I use opti, but generally only after the longer sessions (>2hrs), and eat more of all the obvious high protein foods such as fish, chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, nuts. I tried to find cook books that focused on higher protein recipes- such as Atkins- but was unable to find any.

I'd appreciate any good high protein recipe of diet ideas- AP, what is the recipe of the recovery shake that you make with opti/ almonds etc?

Thanks, Sunny :lol: .

I use opti, but generally only after the longer sessions (>2hrs), and eat more of all the obvious high protein foods such as fish, chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, nuts. I tried to find cook books that focused on higher protein recipes- such as Atkins- but was unable to find any.

Thanks, Sunny :lol: .

I also use Opti after long sessions and swear by the stuff, but it has too many calories to be taking after each training session. I was putting on weight because i was having Opti after sessions, 2 snacks and 3 meals - just too much going in and not enough going out.

Try the CSIRO cook books, they are sponsored by the Meat and Livestock Association and are high protein and low carb cooking i think by memory.

Just a quick note to say that last year I tried to increase my protein intake via Opti after reading about it here. But unfortunately it triggered gout and my big toe was not happy....

After asking around I found out that it is common in the family, but not normally an issue for young blokes like myself (38) so hopefully no one here has the same issue but please keep in mind that with excess protein and the body's inability to get rid of uric acid some issues may occur, like sore joints that you might think is caused from your shoes or over training etc.

Cheers

Guest Animal

Yeah, excess protein can be real bad. I would caution anyone against taking any form of protein supplement - even highly trained endurance athletes (which require more protein then just about any athletes) can get ample protein from a high quality diet according to all the research and literature on the subject. CSIRO diet was slammed by nutritionists outside of the CSIRO Meat and Livestock funded rep's.

I wouldn't advise any athlete (nor would I think any coach without a nutri/dietics degree is in a position to) to take any supplement/formula/concentrated product beyond a simple sports drink or energy bar during competition.

Used for recovery and general nutrition - that sort of experimentation is best left up to the experts and they usually would only advise such after exhaustive blood tests.

You could very well be paying money for expensive urine, damaged kidneys and other maladies being reported.

As for longevity - well the research there indicates across the board that only moderate activity is required, but the most common characetristic of long lived people is a very low calorie intake. Something that athletes aren't renowned for and that goes in direct conflict with statements to overload certain nutrients.

Health is a pretty important thing to be risking experimenting with - probably best consulting an expert rather then taking the opinions of us folk on here that are all to young to see the results of our own experiments - and experiments of 1 or 2 at that.

Edited by Animal

Skim milk powder is a cheap & easy way. You can sprinkle it your cereal, etc. Add it to whatever you are cooking, etc, etc.

Cheers,

Abby

Is Opti that high in protein? I thought it was full of carbs and others items??

Why not just have protein powder if you want extra protein rather than Opti?

An oldy but a goody....

Effects of Protein on... Blah... Blah.....

Also some good simple stuff here..... (A fantastic site IMO)

Mayo Clinic....

Animal - I think you are going a bit far with the "I would caution anybody" line...

If you know what you weigh and know what you are putting in your mouth and you keep protein intake under 2g/kg lean body weight (while training) it is unlikley that you will do yourself a mischief.

I do agree that whole foods are a superior source of just about everything but practicallity means a balance must be struck and in these instances IMO a supp is better than going without.

:lol:

Edited by Jester

Is Opti that high in protein? I thought it was full of carbs and others items??

Why not just have protein powder if you want extra protein rather than Opti?

Yep Opti and Perpetuim both have protein

Opti whey isolate at 1/6 th carb concertration 10 and a bit grams per serve.... More if you have it on milk.

Perpetium soy isolate at about 1/8th I think....

Yeah, excess protein can be real bad. I would caution anyone against taking any form of protein supplement - even highly trained endurance athletes (which require more protein then just about any athletes) can get ample protein from a high quality diet according to all the research and literature on the subject. CSIRO diet was slammed by nutritionists outside of the CSIRO Meat and Livestock funded rep's.

I wouldn't advise any athlete (nor would I think any coach without a nutri/dietics degree is in a position to) to take any supplement/formula/concentrated product beyond a simple sports drink or energy bar during competition.

Used for recovery and general nutrition - that sort of experimentation is best left up to the experts and they usually would only advise such after exhaustive blood tests.

You could very well be paying money for expensive urine, damaged kidneys and other maladies being reported.

As for longevity - well the research there indicates across the board that only moderate activity is required, but the most common characetristic of long lived people is a very low calorie intake. Something that athletes aren't renowned for and that goes in direct conflict with statements to overload certain nutrients.

Health is a pretty important thing to be risking experimenting with - probably best consulting an expert rather then taking the opinions of us folk on here that are all to young to see the results of our own experiments - and experiments of 1 or 2 at that.

You think athletes should have exhaustive blood tests before they take a protein supplement? Testing for what?

Do you know how much protein you would have to consistenly eat before you damaged your kidneys?

You talk about not relying on individuals giving advice when the sample size of their knowledge is 1 or 2 - yet you give no evidence for your claims and use phrases such as "other maladies", "the research there indicates" and "according to all the research and literature on the subject".

I'm not having a go at you at all, but let's try and be a little more scientific and empirical. Some people might read what you have written and blindly accept it. :lol:

Best way is to go to your local pub on a friday night, nice big rump / t bone on the BBQ a few Mushies on top, Schooner/ pint Guiness/ black whilst cooking & another to wash it down ...........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

or a glass of opti or skim milk powder on cereal

tough choice!!

Sorry i wasnt pushing the CSIRO diet, as I am a firm believer in listening to your own body and doing what works for it - every one is different.

I only mentioned it as a great high protein receipe book. Beef Stew one of my favourites this time of year.

I get most of my protein from a well balanced diet.....Opti is something I take after longer sessions to aid recovery.

I was looking for some inventive or different ideas that others may have to boost protein intake with real food.

I've started adding beans to my soups (much to my families discust), and add nuts to all my home made cakes and slices.

Safeway (Woolworths for all you foreigners) had a chickpea snack in their health food section which was good for adding a few more grams of protein into the diet. The non flavoured version tasted average at best, but the flavoured versions were okay.

Think AP has also posted a few times on getting into breakfasts that get away from the normal cereal and more into the boiled eggs with tuna or salmon. Get more protein in your breakfast and you would have half the battle done, most diets probably only have protein at lunch or dinner.

Tin of sardines in brine not oil.... balsamic vinegar.. cracked pepper

Shaved almonds in your cereal or on top of poridge

Almond flour - Sub it onto your cakes and bakes... Google "Almond Flour Recipies" there are shirtloads...

Want to know how much Protein is in what....

highproteinfoods.net

Kalgoo

Drink more water, consistantly drink more water :D

I'm not having a go at you at all, but let's try and be a little more scientific and empirical. Some people might read what you have written and blindly accept it.

Go on have a go at him/her, I doubt if anyone is going to blindly accept what he/she has said :D after all he/she's hiding behind the name "animal", what sort of f---king animal is that :lol:

A bunny :lol: a hamster :D we wouldn't want to risk "other maladies"

We could try and find where "the research there indicates"

and maybe be convinced "according to all the research and literature on the subject".

how come all those great long distance runners from the African countries have a diet that is about 80% carbs, with not much protein and yet they run so damn fast?

how come all those great long distance runners from the African countries have a diet that is about 80% carbs, with not much protein and yet they run so damn fast?

where the hell did that little gem of knowledge come from?

Thats because they have to run 10 km to get to school everyday................................and they come home for lunch!!

Cottoneyes and Jetser thanks for the ideas- almond flour...................will look into this one.

Besan flour (made from chick peas) is also a good source of protein. It's used alot in Indian Cooking.

AP, don't worry about animal dude- I want your super post work out shake recipe????????? Please :lol:

I take a choco Regen drink ( VEROFIT Regeneratio) every morning. It has 15 grs of protein and a great taste. Some people add bananas or strawberries.

Of course, you could say I am biased. On the other hand it is another option to start the day with all the nutrients in a very convenient and yummy way.

PM me if you got any questions about the products. this was just another idea to bring up the protein intake.

I want your super post work out shake recipe????????? Please

* One glass of soy milk

* One handfull of raw almonds

* One teaspoon of collostrum powder

* One desertspoon of flax seed oil or coconut oil

* Contents of one Inner Health capsule (not included everytime, just now and then as insurance)

* Four scoops of Endura Opti (my wife has 3 scoops of Opti and one scoop of whey protein isolate instead)

The that we can add banana, dried peaches soaked overnight, frozen berries, pitted prunes (any of these or none of them)

This is a simple complete breakfast that can be got down quick and keep the recovery good when we're in a hurry :lol:

The one I get is from my local health guru, Metegenics do have a good one which is widely available from Naturopaths

I'm not sure where the one we have is available, he gets it from NZ.

Goat's milk by the gallon..don't be so misleading :lol:

I'm not sure where the one we have is available, he gets it from NZ.

So sheep's breast milk is your thing then..... :D

Righto..... :lol:

I wonder who has the job of milking them? :lol:

So sheep's breast milk is your thing then..... :D

Righto..... :lol:

As a midwife I see alot of breastmilk and colostrum......................and I gotta say I am never tempted to drink it :D although I did taste my own breastmilk. ;)

It is however liquid gold- and bovine colostrum, or another product called lactoferrin are the next best things for athletes.

Fantastic stuff for boosting immunity :D

Thanks AP for the recipe- all good except for that soymilk :lol:

Is soymilk higher in protein than normal milk??????? (gotta have something going for it!)

Is soymilk higher in protein than normal milk??????? (gotta have something going for it!)

I like it better, and I can't take cows milk, even though the collostrum is OK. When I taste cows milk now after many years on soy, I can taste the cow it came from :lol: not good :lol:

Soy milk comes from soy beans..................beans= protein, so it should mean soymilk is a rich source of protein.

Am going to check this out- can't drink plain soymilk- but the coffe flavoured one is OK.

Soy milk comes from soy beans..................beans= protein, so it should mean soymilk is a rich source of protein.

Am going to check this out- can't drink plain soymilk- but the coffe flavoured one is OK.

Make sure you get the soya milk with added calcium as I have been told that normal soya milk has less calcium than regular milk.

Haven't checked this on the lable, but it came from a reliable source as far as I can remember!

You shouldn't drink soy milk just because others are doing it. You should only look at alternatives to what you have always done if there's some evidence that what you are doing is not the best strategy for you. Lots of people are dairy intolerent and don't really know it. It may just show up as , not liking milk.

If you're OK with dairy foods and hate the taste of soy, go with your instincts. I, as an individual, perform to my best by avoiding all dairy foods. Before I was ever tested my instincts told me to avoid milk. I hated it. :lol:

We're all individuals. One girl I coached raced the IM best on chocolate milk. I could add two hours of illness to my time if I tried it. :D

On the other hand, if the cow is sliced up into one inch thick pieces and grilled either side, the middle left juicy and pink, I love it. And it's good for me. My ancestors have been thriving on it for millions of years. I'm an "O" blood group, we do very well on steaks. Blood group "A" or "B" don't do well on red meat at all. :lol:

Google - blood group diet

Thanks AP and Sunny....... a thread that i was just thinking about.

I do struggle with strength, which certianly shows when I get on the the bike. I am trying to find ways to increase protien in my diet but with natural foods. I do eat lots of porterhouse / heart start red meets (between 170 to 250 gm sizes). Not that I don't use protein powder, but it is a cost thing for some people. Happy to keep hearing others thoughts on particualry snacks. Is cottage cheese on rice cakes a good one......and does it need to be low fat or normal cottage cheese. I also need snacks that fill me up - I try to keep to a hand ful of almonds - but just cannot stop.

Cows are made of protein too?

Safeway (Woolworths for all you foreigners) had a chickpea snack in their health food section which was good for adding a few more grams of protein into the diet. The non flavoured version tasted average at best, but the flavoured versions were okay.

I was going to spruk the vitues of these a week or so ago, until a unfortunate accident in the running strides last week.........

Went through me like freight train.

Beware these suckers also very high in fiber. Can only eat in small doses, not handfuls.

They are tasty morsels though.

I was going to spruk the vitues of these a week or so ago, until a unfortunate accident in the running strides last week.........

Went through me like freight train.

Beware these suckers also very high in fiber. Can only eat in small doses, not handfuls.

They are tasty morsels though.

:lol:

Especially when your wiping hand is out of action too! :lol:

Big tin of baked beans for lunch :D .................watch out Scott later on tonight :D:lol:

Must have been the day for baked beans- 3 other workmates had BB as well- but I had the biggest tin :lol:

"Only with regular occurance will your chances be reduced, so I encourage all women out there to make fellatio an important part of their daily routine," said Dr. Helena Shifteer, one of the researchers at the University. "Since the emergence of the research, I try to fellate at least once every other night to reduce my chances."

:lol::lol::D:D ................................

Baked beans are far tastier, although probably not as much fun!!!!

Edited by sunnygirl

Remember, protein is not the be all and end all for becoming a better athlete, yes is plays a role, but pushing heaps into your system won't necessarily give your more endurance. Protein plays a direct role in muscle development by providing the body with amino acids.

Glycogen in your system is the other chapter of the book, Carbohydrate consumption also plays an active role. In fact, the amount of carbohydrates stored inside muscles (glycogen) can determine whether or not muscles remain in an anabolic, or muscle-building, state.

So its a cat and mouse game to determine how much you need and how much your body is using. Well, thats the best way i understand it. Your body will tell you when you start listening.

On my bike rides, I get the dizziness starting to grab hold around the 60km's if I don't refuel. I use a combination of Electrolytes/Protein & Carbs. The electrolyte I sum up as the body's oil (like a car) and the protein and carb's are the petrol. As the only thing i can really stomach are banana's as a solid, I take 2 or 3 with me and 1 biddon of electrolytes and 1 biddon of protein/carb mix. Its usually enough to get me through 100 clicks. Any further or doing a brick session, the fuel belt comes out with same mix, minus the nana's.

As for the "best" brand of protein's, thats up to the individual, what works for one person may not for another. Ask your health food/sport shop for samples, they should have some on hand or buy the smallest container they have to test it.

And, lastly try to get your self a base line first, it's hard as your body is in different states different times of the day. So session your self say 3 morning rides. The first, water, second elec's and third, the combo. Rate how you feel after wards, with in 5 minutes, 15min, and 30min.

S