Sign in to follow this  
Must tri harder

Removable valves.

Evenin,

Could someone please enlighten me as to what this means- removable valves

Do I still need to buy valve extenders, if so which ones would people recommend when running with these tyres on a 50/85 wheelset, or something else altogether?

Sorry for my ignorance but it's my first set of tubulars!

P.

yoyo    1,333

Mate what it means with these tyres is that the valves unscrew and you can completely remove the assembly, this is good for when (like you do!) you want to fit valve core extenders.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE JUST VALVE EXTENDERS

they are sh*t. sorry, i just couldnt think of a positive spin to put on that feedback............

either online, or mor likely from your LBS, you want to order a set of valve core extendes for your tubulars... capiche ?

Mate what it means with these tyres is that the valves unscrew and you can completely remove the assembly, this is good for when (like you do!) you want to fit valve core extenders.

they are sh*t. sorry, i just couldnt think of a positive spin to put on that feedback............

either online, or mor likely from your LBS, you want to order a set of valve core extendes for your tubulars... capiche ?

hey Yo, I use valve extenders, but remove the core from the valve on the tyre and put it in the top of the extender. I also use plumbers tape on both the thread on the core & where the extender screws to the tyre valve. Apart from bending an extender when i folded the spare up too tight under the seat :lol: , mine seem to work OK? Though the tyres do go pretty flat after about 3 days.

I assume a valve core extender screws right onto the base of that Vittoria tyre - but hell you'd need one of >85mm for an 85mm rim- do they make them that long?

With a valve extender 50-60mm will do as you already have 30mm odd of normal valve on there.

Capiche.

Used valve extenders before on a set of hire 404s and nearly gave up and just did Geelong with half inflated tyres, luckily saw the light and persisted with my pumping... Was hoping to not have to use them on a regular basis.

Can you point me in the direction of the correct core extenders on the interweb, as anything I find just doesn't look right, I would need for these tyres on a 50/85 wheelset?

Yet again Yo da man.

P.

yoyo    1,333

thommo that is a core extender you are using, not a valve extender.

a valve extender is just a tapered alloy tube with a thread on one end that screws on over the valve nipple.

Thus you need to ensure you have 'opened' the valve prior to screwing the extender on or otherwise you will have great difficulty in pumping your tyre up.

thommo that is a core extender you are using, not a valve extender.

a valve extender is just a tapered alloy tube with a thread on one end that screws on over the valve nipple.

Thus you need to ensure you have 'opened' the valve prior to screwing the extender on or otherwise you will have great difficulty in pumping your tyre up.

good oh :lol:

and OT, here's some Bass action - this b*stard turns up every year with the shittiest gear you've ever seen and one lure. Of course he lost his lure day 1, so carved one that looked like a floating turd out of a bit of cedar, drilled a hole thru it to take a wire, whacked a treble on the back & coloured the thing in with our kids textas

landed the best bass of the trip :lol:

Andrew.jpg

yoyo    1,333

This is the kind of thing you are after MTH

If you're getting the wheels from OS, ask the peeps you are getting them from, they should have some ? Or ask at your LBS, they should be able to order some in from one of the local distributors...

when do you need them by ? I can prob organise some from my cuzzy bro down here at Sonic Cycles....

This is the kind of thing you are after MTH

If you're getting the wheels from OS, ask the peeps you are getting them from, they should have some ? Or ask at your LBS, they should be able to order some in from one of the local distributors...

when do you need them by ? I can prob organise some from my cuzzy bro down here at Sonic Cycles....

Perfect.

I'll let you know if I need to enlist the aid of your cuzzy bro.

P.

-- AJ --    36
good oh :lol:

and OT, here's some Bass action - this b*stard turns up every year with the shittiest gear you've ever seen and one lure. Of course he lost his lure day 1, so carved one that looked like a floating turd out of a bit of cedar, drilled a hole thru it to take a wire, whacked a treble on the back & coloured the thing in with our kids textas

landed the best bass of the trip :lol:

I think theres something is this for all of us.

Jester    0

Conti ones are AOK and most LBS will have them...

+1 on the teflon tape to seal them on.

Also the little plastic thingo they give you is handy to keep and tape into your race change kit if you are running a 808 or 1080 rear and flat you will need to swap your extenders over onto your spare. (I find roling them up with 20cm of extenders attached is nearly impossible)....

:lol:

Conti ones are AOK and most LBS will have them...

+1 on the teflon tape to seal them on.

Also the little plastic thingo they give you is handy to keep and tape into your race change kit if you are running a 808 or 1080 rear and flat you will need to swap your extenders over onto your spare. (I find roling them up with 20cm of extenders attached is nearly impossible)....

:lol:

Do the conti ones fit other tyres i.e.- vittoria. On probikekit they are listed as fitting conti only, anyone have any experience with these?

P.

fishboy    39

While you have the valve core out insert some:

Stans tire sealant

or some

Doc Blue

If you do puncture* on the tubby, short pffscht sound, tubby loses 10psi, and you keep racing.

* Normal puncture, a gaping hole left by freddy kruger or half a bottle won't seal too well.

If you have Vittoria pit stop, please insert in nearest bin, you won't get that to work.

roo    0

big fan of putting stans sealant of similar into the removable valves. i put 30ml in each tube on my roadie. got a big bit of glass in the rain the other week and is sealed around it while riding. got home, pulled the glass out, hissed again then sealed up. tyres still solid weeks later.

a mate also bought some busted tubbies back to life with the sealant. one race old, otherwise they would be binned and wasted. now able to race on them again.

why more people arent using the goo is beyond me

A Zed    7

This is the sort of thread Gimili should still be starting :lol:

thanks for that info roo, will definitely be giving that a crack for the important races.

Jester    0
Do the conti ones fit other tyres i.e.- vittoria. On probikekit they are listed as fitting conti only, anyone have any experience with these?

P.

Yep they are universal...

Also +1 on stans been using it for several years on MTB and last year in tubbies.... Just don't spill the stuff....

big fan of putting stans sealant of similar into the removable valves. i put 30ml in each tube on my roadie. got a big bit of glass in the rain the other week and is sealed around it while riding. got home, pulled the glass out, hissed again then sealed up. tyres still solid weeks later.

a mate also bought some busted tubbies back to life with the sealant. one race old, otherwise they would be binned and wasted. now able to race on them again.

why more people arent using the goo is beyond me

Roo

couple questions about Stans Sealant:

1. Does it add much to the weight of the tyre?

2. How do you use it - do you put it in and have to spin straight away the tyre to distribute evenly?

3. Can you use with non-removable valves by just pulling the core out, sticking it in and putting the core back in

Jester - good point about taking the little black plastic core remover with you in a race - I'll be doing that. If you look at last issue of Aust Triathlete, theres a pic of Mitch Anderson chewing on his spare tubby trying to change a flat. This had me stumped for a bit, then I realised he was trying to get his valve extender off or on. That little black thingy does 2 things - core remover, but also loosens/tightens the valve extender (or the valve core extender) :lol:

schoey    22
Where does one get Stans from??

Roxii, after a bit of googling I found KOM and Phantom, I just ordered some 'Slime' sealant from Phantom it was a bit cheaper hopefully similar stuff...

ironpo    2,762
While you have the valve core out insert some:

Stans tire sealant

or some

Doc Blue

If you do puncture* on the tubby, short pffscht sound, tubby loses 10psi, and you keep racing.

* Normal puncture, a gaping hole left by freddy kruger or half a bottle won't seal too well.

If you have Vittoria pit stop, please insert in nearest bin, you won't get that to work.

hi

i put some tire sealent that i got from MR hi 5 i cant remember the name when i first changed over to tubbies

i put it in mine and mrs IPs brand nrw conti comps and all (4) spares

bad move

stuff didnt seem to work all that well except at blocking up the valve and valve extenders

do you have the same problem with stans etc?

ta

IP

schoey    22
Roxii, after a bit of googling I found KOM and Phantom, I just ordered some 'Slime' sealant from Phantom it was a bit cheaper hopefully similar stuff...

I just rang Phantom because the checkout wasn't working, he suggested Ozriders sealant, a bit cheaper again and he said they'd been getting good feedback.

roxii    3,996
hi

i put some tire sealent that i got from MR hi 5 i cant remember the name when i first changed over to tubbies

i put it in mine and mrs IPs brand nrw conti comps and all (4) spares

bad move

stuff didnt seem to work all that well except at blocking up the valve and valve extenders

do you have the same problem with stans etc?

ta

IP

Yeah that was probably the TUFO stuff, I tried that and it stuffed the valves as well.

SH*T STUFF.