Guest Gimili

Pitt St on Everest

Hmmm people walking past dying bodies that they are unable to help because they are on their selfish mission to reach the top of the world, yeah nothing sad about it at all. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sadly, this is becoming an issue with other recreational past-times too, like fly-fishing on the famous Mataura River in NZ (known world-wide as one of the best dry-fly streams in the world, esp. in April when the mayflies are hatching).

When I first fished it about 18yrs ago, you'd have a good few kms all to yourself and not see a soul.  Now with the advent of social media, Google maps, fishing forums, NZ guides talking it up etc., when we were there last April it was like Pitt St.  Almost every marked access point had at least one car there, and the etiquette is you have to give another angler at least 2kms and not 'drop in' on them. 

And some farmers are becoming really stroppy about all the anglers on the streams running through their farms (despite the fact you can legally fish them if you can enter the river at a public access point).  We stopped at one access point and were verbally abused like I've never been in my life by a farmer who I honestly thought was going to grab a rifle out of his tractor and shoot us.  He was batshit crazy about anglers and NZ Fish & Game. I tried to reason with him to no avail.  I think my mate was curled up in the fetal position behind our car.   In the end we just left and went elsewhere.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Rog said:

Hmmm people walking past dying bodies that they are unable to help because they are on their selfish mission to reach the top of the world, yeah nothing sad about it at all. 

You just have to want it bad enough 

35 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Sadly, this is becoming an issue with other recreational past-times too, like fly-fishing on the famous Mataura River in NZ (known world-wide as one of the best dry-fly streams in the world, esp. in April when the mayflies are hatching).

When I first fished it about 18yrs ago, you'd have a good few kms all to yourself and not see a soul.  Now with the advent of social media, Google maps, fishing forums, NZ guides talking it up etc., when we were there last April it was like Pitt St.  Almost every marked access point had at least one car there, and the etiquette is you have to give another angler at least 2kms and not 'drop in' on them. 

And some farmers are becoming really stroppy about all the anglers on the streams running through their farms (despite the fact you can legally fish them if you can enter the river at a public access point).  We stopped at one access point and were verbally abused like I've never been in my life by a farmer who I honestly thought was going to grab a rifle out of his tractor and shoot us.  He was batshit crazy about anglers and NZ Fish & Game. I tried to reason with him to no avail.  I think my mate was curled up in the fetal position behind our car.   In the end we just left and went elsewhere.

It's not just recently either. First few times I went tailor fishing with my Dad & brother at Fraser Island (40 years ago), there were quite a few people, but it was all very civilised. Within 10 years of that, I wouldn't go near the place, with knives being drawn when someone takes another's spot, and crowds far to big to fish without hassles.

image.png.77f07ff12d7847859e0431472a24c6d9.png

10 hours ago, bRace said:

I'm pretty sympathetic about most things involving death, but to be honest I don't find this particularly sad. Everyone is well aware of the dangers of climbing Everest and the severe consequences of things going wrong. If people freely choose to climb for whatever reason that drives them, then I figure that is up to them and they accept the risks,

That's the problem, most of them don't know. A lot of them are very inexperienced, not in the right shape, not aware of the dangers and lacking in discipline. This is then exacerbated by having group leaders (who have been paid $50k+) who are under enormous pressure to get their clients to summit and they make stupid decisions e.g Rob Hall. A highly experienced mountaineer, one of his clients was struggling, he still summited with him, knowing they should have turned round long ago and both died. All his experienced, knowledge, rational, common-sense went out the window..... it's a complete clusterfnck. The majority of the people on that mountain shouldn't be there. And when they get in trouble others help and they get in trouble too. So their inexperience is not just killing them....

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It's not just recently either. First few times I went tailor fishing with my Dad & brother at Fraser Island (40 years ago), there were quite a few people, but it was all very civilised. Within 10 years of that, I wouldn't go near the place, with knives being drawn when someone takes another's spot, and crowds far to big to fish without hassles.

image.png.77f07ff12d7847859e0431472a24c6d9.png

That is a complete shit-show.  I'm not going to bother going to Fraser.

9 minutes ago, zed said:

This is then exacerbated by having group leaders (who have been paid $50k+) who are under enormous pressure to get their clients to summit and they make stupid decisions e.g Rob Hall. A highly experienced mountaineer, one of his clients was struggling, he still summited with him, knowing they should have turned round long ago and both died. All his experienced, knowledge, rational, common-sense went out the window..... it's a complete clusterfnck. 

I feel that pressure when people have paid just $550-700/day for a guided fishing trip, but there are some places on my streams I just won't take them cos the risk of a bad fall is too high.  I also modify where I take clients based on their age & level of fitness/mobility.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zed said:

That's the problem, most of them don't know. 

I'll guarantee not one of them expected to see a traffic jam at the final summit when they paid for their permits/guides.

• Like 1

My Perth triathlete mate, summited a few weeks back, he mentioned in his email to me out of the 56 days he was there.  there was only a 3 day window to climb. So you've suddenly got hundreds of climbers all suddenly trying to summit at the same time. In his blog he said:

"Walking past 4 dead bodies in the first 3/4 hours from the night before traffic jam (on the news and il send the pic), and seeing the reality of other groups lack of care for their clients is a brutal reality of the greed we all seek in these large dreams"

1 hour ago, trinube said:

I'll guarantee not one of them expected to see a traffic jam at the final summit when they paid for their permits/guides.

I wonder if they will care in the years to come after seeing these photos.

1 minute ago, zed said:

My Perth triathlete mate, summited a few weeks back, he mentioned in his email to me out of the 56 days he was there.  there was only a 3 day window to climb. So you've suddenly got hundreds of climbers all suddenly trying to summit at the same time. In his blog he said:

"Walking past 4 dead bodies in the first 3/4 hours from the night before traffic jam (on the news and il send the pic), and seeing the reality of other groups lack of care for their clients is a brutal reality of the greed we all seek in these large dreams"

Greed indeed.

ABC also spoke to someone this morning who said the cheap and nasty operators have moved in and the authorities are so keen for the money they'll just grant additional permits. In the past it was $60k+ to climb but it can now be done for $11k. This is why there's a bunch of inexperienced people dying up there - it's now affordable to risk your life.

You'd hope the authorities would realise this is not a good look and will rethink the situation. I won't hold my breathe though.

16 minutes ago, trinube said:

ABC also spoke to someone this morning who said the cheap and nasty operators have moved in and the authorities are so keen for the money they'll just grant additional permits. In the past it was $60k+ to climb but it can now be done for $11k. This is why there's a bunch of inexperienced people dying up there - it's now affordable to risk your life.

You'd hope the authorities would realise this is not a good look and will rethink the situation. I won't hold my breathe though.

I don't think it was much better with the more professional outfits going back a few years. Rob Hall's team was one of the most experienced and professional teams. It's a bit of a contradiction, these team leaders, have all this experience, knowledge, are meticulous with their planning, well trained, yet when it counts everything goes out the window and they act like cowboys. No-one has a bad word to say about Rob Hall, but I just don't get how people so well trained, so dedicated can act in this manner. Their clients pay them to get them to to top AND back safely. 

Edited by zed

This is great to watch.  Really interesting