Guest Gimili

Pitt St on Everest

Guest Gimili

Dunno what I think of so many making the top....

Summit's up: 'tsunami' of climbers storm Everest

Arjun Ramachandran

May 22, 2009 - 3:57PM

It's the pinnacle of human conquest, but a bout of good weather on Mount Everest this month has led to such a "tsunami" of successful summits that "it seems the entire world" had made its way up there, mountaineering blogs said.

More than 200 climbers are believed to have successfully reached the mountain's 8848-metre peak so far this year, according to mountaineering website EverestNews.com.

Good weather in recent days has seen more than 100 climbers make their way towards the summit, including 65-year-old British adventurer Sir Ranulph Fiennes, who conquered the mountain at midnight on Wednesday.

In recent days, a Nepalese "super Sherpa" called Apa broke records when he scaled Everest for the 19th time, 11 Indians hit the top, and a British couple, two American teens and a trio of Singaporean women also reached the summit.

"Russians, Indians, Croatians, Brits, Canadians seems the entire world stood on top of itself this third day of the Everest summit week," said mountaineering website, MountEverest.net.

"Summits, Summits and more Summits!" wrote EverestNews.com in its expedition newsflash feed.

"Around another 100! headed for Everest summit tonight, reports of slow climbers..."

The month of May is considered the best time to climb Everest.

The harsh weather on the mountain allows only about two windows anywhere from a couple of days to a week in May, when conditions are favourable enough for the push to the summit.

As the skies cleared for a "summit window time" starting May 18, climbing teams began preparing for an assault on the peak.

"A train of people were traipsing up the icefall at 5am - people are suddenly busy packing and checking," climber Gavin Bate wrote.

According to the mountaineering blogs, the first successful summits of the year occurred on May 5 when five Sherpas who were fixing lines on the mountain continued on to the peak.

Briton David Tait reached the top moments later.

"Great weather conditions this year have permitted a very fast progress on the route and, eventually, such early summit dates," reported climbing blog MountEverest.net

In 2008, the first summiteers only reached the peak on May 20, it said.

While conditions have been more favourable in recent days, the expedition has not been without danger.

EverestNews.com reported the death of a Czech man on the mountain yesterday. There have been a total of three deaths this season, including that of a Chinese climber on the mountain's north side on Tuesday.

And while there were a large number of successful summits by a range of climbers, history was still being made.

Mountaineering blogs bristled with excitement at Korean Park Young-Seok's successful summit via the technically difficult south-west face.

One blog said the route taken by Park had only previously been climbed by two other teams, from the UK and Soviet Union.

"Park became obsessed with the SW Face at first sight," reported MountEverest.net.

"He tried it in 1991, 1993 and 2007. All three attempts were unsuccessful; he lost a friend in the second attempt and two more in the third. Determined to make it this time, he came back with a strong team, and today the dream came true."

with AP

...and today the dream came true. with AP

How did Pitman get into this..?! :lol:

• Haha 1

Ten years ago there were fewer people had swum the English channel than had climbed Everest - with the hundreds reaching the sumitt on Everest, it looks like the Channel may really be the harder challenge now!

I think I'd opt for the channel - at least I know which one I'm better 'built' for!

it looks like the Channel may really be the harder challenge now!

The channel is still a proper challenge. Everest is glorified sight-seeing for most people.

Pay your $65K, you get a sherpa to carry all your gear, a guide to bring you to the top, ropes all the way and no real need for much prior climbing experience.

How did Pitman get into this..?!

Got my finger on the pulse mate :lol:

I think it'd be a bit strange to be up there doing something as special as that and to be just part of the crowd :lol:

It's a bit like saying "I'm an Ironman", so are quite a few others :D

Things go wrong in the Channel, you get out, they go wrong up that hill, you die. I will take the channel. :lol:

Hey Plaz...this little black duck's heart stopped...my mother revived me via CPR :lol:

Channel swims are not for the faint-hearted :D

Guest Gimili
Hey Plaz...this little black duck's heart stopped...my mother revived me via CPR :lol:

Channel swims are not for the faint-hearted :D

So Mick, I know you're a good bloke but are you the second coming of Christ :lol:

The channel is still a proper challenge. Everest is glorified sight-seeing for most people. Bull shit

Pay your $65K, you get a sherpa to carry all your gear, a guide to bring you to the top, ropes all the way and no real need for much prior climbing experience.

Yes it is easier than years ago with oxygen and the route being fully roped but you still need to do every step yourself nobody can do it for you.

Crevasses do not give a shit how much you payed to summit.

You have obviously never been on a high mountain or else you would not believe that at all.

Channel swims are not for the faint-hearted :lol:

Agree thats swimming the channel is bloody hard and a great achievement but no way it is as dangerous as climbing everest or even close to.

If you had heart attack on everest you would still be on everest.

I have a few friends who will always be in my heart and the mountains.

interesting...i do not have the scrotal fortitude for any sort of climbing in the high mountains but if i had the ability i think i'd be aiming for something with less traffic than Everest....i think i'd rather a dig at something like Baintha Brakk or Nanga Parbat.

a few years ago one of my mates climbed Aconcagua solo with no experience and only very basic gear....he was first to summit that morning and due to climbing seasons being different at that time was the highest human on the plant... was very impressed, its not for me though.

Edited by erko

Dragged up this old one. Get a load of this photo from last Thursday. 120 people climbed to the peak on Thursday alone. Seven have died this week, which is more than the whole season last year. Most are saying it was the delays causing people to stay too long at the altitude that caused most of the deaths.

A line of climbers sit on the last ridge at the peak of a snow covered mount Everest.

59 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Dragged up this old one. Get a load of this photo from last Thursday. 120 people climbed to the peak on Thursday alone. Seven have died this week, which is more than the whole season last year. Most are saying it was the delays causing people to stay too long at the altitude that caused most of the deaths.

A line of climbers sit on the last ridge at the peak of a snow covered mount Everest.

Is that legit, like not photo shopped.  read the other week the Govt was doubling the annual intake.  

Maybe I should sell my ice axe, might be a bull market looking at that...lol

Would add, when I started having kids 22 years ago, I gave all my gerka knifes and my beloved ice axe to the old man to do as he saw fit with them, just didnt think it was right having them in the house knowing what they can do.  Once watched a goat have its head severed with three blows by a gerka knife walking the streets of kathmandu.   

Well he passed away, Dec 2017 and in one of his cupboards when clearing his house out, I found all my my old stuff. Love my ice axe, was stoked.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Is that legit, like not photo shopped.  read the other week the Govt was doubling the annual intake.  

Maybe I should sell my ice axe, might be a bull market looking at that...lol

Legit. Here's another one the guy took last month on the way up to the high camps.

D47jrflW0AAKPVe.jpg

There is video of it somewhere too. 

Everest is obviously really easy now   

its harder to swim the English Channel than climb Everest now  

14 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Legit. Here's another one the guy took last month on the way up to the high camps.

D47jrflW0AAKPVe.jpg

Just wow.  Thats totally insane, more people drafting then Kona...lol.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Peter said:

There is video of it somewhere too. 

Everest is obviously really easy now   

its harder to swim the English Channel than climb Everest now  

Thats the thing though, and i'll never do either, but cant see the point of doing the english channel when you can catch a train or boat but Everest just has an awe, as does everything in that range.  Appreciate everybody is different and no disrespect to Des Renford...lol.

Probably not getting the deaths in the English channel. Actually just googles it, so 7 deaths on Everest in last year as per above, 7 deaths doing the channel since 1988, that last being a triathlete doing the Enduroman Arch 2 Arc triathalo

In 2017 only 112 people managed to complete a crossing of the English Channel. 

In 2017, 446 climbed it from south and 202 from the north. Everest. 

Clearly Everest is easier. 

1 minute ago, The Customer said:

They need to install the World's longest slide off the summit - walk up, slide down. Problem solved.

Must admit, it;d be frustrating hitting the top and having all these people in you way coming down. 

Fascinating part of the world, like you look at that Pitt St and think in 2015 nobody summitted and almost 20 died. 

25 minutes ago, Peter said:

In 2017 only 112 people managed to complete a crossing of the English Channel. 

In 2017, 446 climbed it from south and 202 from the north. Everest. 

Pfftttt

Pretty sure less people caught a Murray Cod on fly than either of those in 2018.  And even less on a fly they tied themselves 😉

• Haha 1

Just now, oldschool69#2 said:

I heard it was way Harder to both back in the day ...

Imagine how hard everest would be now, hundreds of people coming down going.... not long now mate, you can do it...lol

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Would suck if you got to the end and realised it was just the line for the toilet.... 

3 hours ago, more said:

Would suck if you got to the end and realised it was just the line for the toilet.... 

But think of the view.  lol

4 hours ago, more said:

Yeah! Norseman.

On 25/05/2019 at 7:56 PM, Peter said:

Don't think the Sherpas are known for their swimming ability

When I climb Mt Everest, I am not long to take any gear at all. I am just going to use the aid stations on the way up and may pick up my special needs back if I think it’s going to get cold or something.

Sorry...... I thought Wanda (Ironman) bought this one too!!!!!

13 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Are you a failure if you don't do Everest?😉

5 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Are you a failure if you don't do Everest?😉

If you make the top but die on the way down does it still count as a summit, or is it like breaking the bike course record but not finishing the race? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

When I climb Mt Everest, I am not long to take any gear at all. I am just going to use the aid stations on the way up and may pick up my special needs back if I think it’s going to get cold or something.

It'll be $8 (+active fee) for the special needs bag.

Are there legacy spots for those who have done Mt Coottha more than 15 times?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, roxii said:

If you make the top but die on the way down does it still count as a summit, or is it like breaking the bike course record but not finishing the race? 

You still summit. 

Its success. 

1 minute ago, Peter said:

You still summit. 

Its success. 

But whats the point if you then cant tell people ad nauseam? 

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It'll be $8 (+active fee) for the special needs bag.

Are there legacy spots for those who have done Mt Coottha more than 15 times?

You can use a helmet bag.

45 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Is it OK to turn around at Hillary's Step, if you look fresh?

Sure as long as you hang around and telling everyone how great you are rather than volunteering and giving back to he sport you have made an income from for the last 20 years.

1 hour ago, roxii said:

But whats the point if you then cant tell people ad nauseam? 

Used to work with a guy that climbed it, first thing he did when back down was to write a book about it and how it lead to his corporate success, lessons learned and how it related to the corporate world, started looking for paid talking gigs etc. 

The guy was booted 12 months later from his sales role for consistently failing to meet his KPIs...

• Haha 2

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 7:12 PM, Oompa Loompa said:

Just wow.  Thats totally insane, more people drafting then Kona...lol.

probably about the same

Am I the only one that doesn't see the funny side of this? I find it genuinely sad.

Sad that people have died but particularly sad the locals - particularly the Sherpas - are being prostituted by hoards of tour operators flogging a service for people to brag about on social media. My brother-in-law trekked around Nepal about 25 years ago and said the people were the most genuine, welcoming people you'd ever meet and it appears their kindness is being abused.

I find the photos of the crowds quite disturbing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/26/world/asia/mount-everest-deaths.html

Edited by trinube

The government should just double the price and halve the number of permits they hand out. 

Same money. 

Less people. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Peter said:

The government should just double the price and halve the number of permits they hand out. 

Same money. 

Less people. 

Sounds like Ironman 

14 minutes ago, Peter said:

Same money. 

Less people. 

1 minute ago, Bored@work said:

Sounds like Ironman 

No.

Ironman would double the price (+8%) and find a little more room on the pier to up the numbers.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, trinube said:

Am I the only one that doesn't see the funny side of this? I find it genuinely sad.

Sad that people have died but particularly sad the locals - particularly the Sherpas - are being prostituted by hoards of tour operators flogging a service for people to brag about on social media. My brother-in-law trekked around Nepal about 25 years ago and said the people were the most genuine, welcoming people you'd ever meet and it appears their kindness is being abused.

I agree. Its sad that people are losing their lives at all. And then in doing something that almost mass participation makes seem doable on relatively minimal prep. 

And the locals are needing to support these unprepared efforts. 

It's a relatively poor country and the locals and govt see it as a cash cow. 

Makes you wonder if “real mountaineers” still climb Everest,or do they leave it to the “fundraisers” and “bucket-listers” 

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Makes you wonder if “real mountaineers” still climb Everest,or do they leave it to the “fundraisers” and “bucket-listers” 

I read up heap about climbing as it was on my list before kids. But it’s not considered a hard climb compared to K2 and a few others. 

Id never do it now even if all expenses were covered. It’s just too dangerous.  I’d swim the English Channel first. If I could afford it. 

4 hours ago, trinube said:

I'm pretty sympathetic about most things involving death, but to be honest I don't find this particularly sad. Everyone is well aware of the dangers of climbing Everest and the severe consequences of things going wrong. If people freely choose to climb for whatever reason that drives them, then I figure that is up to them and they accept the risks,

• Like 1