trinube

Port IM 2009

First time up to Port to watch IM yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed it (think I may have to do one now).

Watched the swim start and then positioned myself alongside Timporinho opposite the bike start and watched the hordes head out.

Sat on the corner next to transition and watched the pro’s come around the corner at the end of their 1st lap. From there, we bolted out to the turnaround point to catch them there at their halfway point.

Maitland Tri Club had set up camp on the nature strip in the middle of the turnaround point and were doing a stellar job making loads of noise for the athletes as they climbed to the turnaround. For such a small group of people (20 or so) the atmosphere they created was superb – well done. Oh, and Chrissie looked so comfortable coming up that hill it was laughable.

A few guys from TBB were also out there at the turnaround keeping a close eye on Abi Bayley but didn’t seem as interested in much Bek? :D

Took off back into town and headed to Matty Flinders Hill. More fantastic atmosphere and athletes working hard to grind up that hill. Heard the chopper coming back and saw the pro men and women heading back into town on their final lap. Flashed my hairy gut at Chrissie as she flew past which got a laugh. :lol:

Got to the town green in time to see the lead men go past towards the breakwall. Berkel and Vernay running shoulder to shoulder as they headed back to the end of lap 1. Moved up to transition during the 2nd lap were Vernay had gapped Berkel and all the talk was of Pete Jacobs storming through the field and eating up Vernay’s lead.

According to the guys on the PA, Jacobs had moved 45 seconds in from of Vernay at the Settlement Point turnaround, but when Vernay came past us on lap 3 back at Town Green, he was absolutely motoring and had 1:10 over PJ. Almost a 2 minute turnaround in 4-5km. :D PJ looked done when he came past us.

Would have been tough for Vernay on that run with the whole crowd getting behind Jacobs and not him.

For all the smiles and waves that Chrissie gives to the crowd, a couple of times today she looked like she was really hurting during the run. Made you realise she is human – mind you, you can understand the hurt given she ran sub 3hrs. What a freak.

Saw a great moment 1km from the end of the womens race with Caroline Steffen walking through the Woolies carpark looking absolutely rooted – the crowd got into her, making loads of noise and she found the petrol to get her legs running again. The smile on her face as she thanked everyone was unreal.

How many of the pro women would have got prize money with the 10% rule and Chrissie going under 9hrs? :lol:

Saw plenty of Trannies out there. Smitty was flying, TriMel smiling, Paul Every with the 2nd best beard racing (2nd behind that pro with the enormous beard, Scooter, Coghead, Kamalarrow, Dingo Dave, Mr Flower was looking really solid, Wookie (great effort after losing the salt tablets and being smashed by cramps), Tudjmeister and BigChris chatting nonchalantly during the first lap of the run and Speedy Steve was killing it. Plenty of others too (didn’t see Fezza though?!).

Also saw an idiot mucking around with his guitar hit a female competitor with it just near the town green. Fortunately no damage done to the athlete. The guitar needed to be wrapped around the dickhead's scone.

All in all – super day in Port, was great that the weather held off for the most part (wasn't looking too good the night before). The drive back to sydney last night was punishing.

re: Chappo.

Trent won Mooloolooba a number of years ago as a pro as well. I don't think he has done any races since retiring as a pro, 'till Canberra.

The word yesterday was that he has ticked 'no' to Hawaii but will be racing Busso (likely as a pro, as this was a 'test') and then Port again. He only started training in November (or was he doing 'sekrit' training before - LucasK?). But the last few years a few locals have done well with his guidance- including Cory and Leigh Chapman. Kind of lucky his brothers weren't racing as well!!

Out of interest what happened to Glenn GORICK

16:34:22

??

Walked the entire run leg!

Said he is now going for a complete set of finish times.

Has 10 under 10, now wants one from each hour bracket.

re: Chappo.

Trent won Mooloolooba a number of years ago as a pro as well. I don't think he has done any races since retiring as a pro, 'till Canberra.

The word yesterday was that he has ticked 'no' to Hawaii but will be racing Busso (likely as a pro, as this was a 'test') and then Port again. He only started training in November (or was he doing 'sekrit' training before - LucasK?). But the last few years a few locals have done well with his guidance- including Cory and Leigh Chapman. Kind of lucky his brothers weren't racing as well!!

To be honest, i am not sure what training he did, I only saw him at swimming, I think mark was looking after him, also Clarkey and Vlad. Corey pulled out cos he was ill i though, otherwise he would have raced

Walked the entire run leg!

Said he is now going for a complete set of finish times.

Has 10 under 10, now wants one from each hour bracket.

Ha I have a 14hr, 13hr and 12hr he can have.

Flashed my hairy gut at Chrissie as she flew past which got a laugh. :lol:

An unforgettable moment for Chrissie apparently, she mentioned it at the Awards Dinner :lol: