hodgey

Training logs

I am wondering what people's experience is with training log software. I guess most would use a log of some kind but am interested if you have tried different software packages and found one you like or just use pen and paper. Besides basic distance notes how much detail do you keep?

I use ZeroPace.

Has a direct download from Polar (and other HRM's), is very easy to use, flexible and easily configured to what you like.

Highly recommended.

www.triathlog.net

It's the best thing since sliced bread.

+1

I've been using triathlog for a couple of years now, and it's pretty damn good.

--Toby

www.triathlog.net

It's the best thing since sliced bread.

+2

Just converted and it's great! You can compete against others for yearly totals :lol:

I use ZeroPace.

Has a direct download from Polar (and other HRM's), is very easy to use, flexible and easily configured to what you like.

Highly recommended.

Bourne, what advantages does it offer over the Polar software?

I just looked at triathlog - waaaay too much manual entry for this techno-girl. I'll stick to ticking the boxes on my monthly program from my coach and downloading from my polar for forensic evaluation of the effectiveness of the session.

I use the Polar software that came with my HRM. Its pretty comprehensive and I don't fill in half of what it asks for. The easiest thing about it for me is that it downloads all of my HRM data incl distance, pace, altitude, laps etc without the need for me to do anything. As a plus it records the distances I have done on my shoes so I can get an idea of when I should think about replacing them. The calender is visually easy to look at and the weekly distance totals are automatic etc. I am not sure if you can get it separately, but I believe there are plenty of copies floating around and it doesn't need an authorization code or the like.

I have prev used an excel spreadsheet my coach emailed me which required complete manual insertion and included stuff like how I was feeling, soreness, resting HR and sleep etc, but I was pretty slack at filling it all in.

Prior to that I used the free one on beginner triathlete which was passable, but not great.

I think whatever you use, the utility of it will entirely depend on your commitment to it, and who is going to be using the data. Is it purely an ego thing (ie mine at the moment) or are you emailing it to a coach for planning etc

+2

Just converted and it's great! You can compete against others for yearly totals :lol:

+3 - been on it for 18 months

however, just saw the leader board the other day for the first time - whoa!!

+2

+3 ! um, can I say that?... :lol:

Hey Aimz just because I fell out of the pool COMPLETELY, watch out because I've jumped from 33rd to 27th on the 2009 Mega Bike Challenge! (Only about 3,000km behind Captain Awesome now... And Hymie watch your back mate, you're about to be passed!)

Nice brick on Saturday Tynomite, and good luck with next w'end Mooloolaba Toby. Feelin' good for the 2:38?

Hey anyone dare to challenge my Y-Max domination?... :D

But seriously, the leaderboards have definately added a huge amount of community (healthy competition) on the site. I'm getting closer to getting the Personal Challenges up, which should be even better (working on it right now).

Thanks to everyone using the site. Despite taking over the place you've all made it better than I thought it could be.

Edited by Reefmanburger

I haven't been there for a while (it's a bit like my training, I'm doing it for a bit and then not for a long while), but those challenges are awesome.

I'll be logging at triathlog again :lol: and I'll have something to log, too !! :lol:

Built a custom tracker in Excel including a Training Schedule, Log, Seasno Planner, Weekly Weight / HR to calculate BMI, Charts on all relevant data and a Pace Calculator.

Custom built it for what I need and can make any changes I need to in Excel. I usually print off the schedule and update iot manually during the week then type it in at the end of the week to save some hassle.

+3 ! um, can I say that?... :lol:

Hey Aimz just because I fell out of the pool COMPLETELY, watch out because I've jumped from 33rd to 27th on the 2009 Mega Bike Challenge! (Only about 3,000km behind Captain Awesome now... And Hymie watch your back mate, you're about to be passed!)

Nice brick on Saturday Tynomite, and good luck with next w'end Mooloolaba Toby. Feelin' good for the 2:38?

Hey anyone dare to challenge my Y-Max domination?... :lol:

But seriously, the leaderboards have definately added a huge amount of community (healthy competition) on the site. I'm getting closer to getting the Personal Challenges up, which should be even better (working on it right now).

Thanks to everyone using the site. Despite taking over the place you've all made it better than I thought it could be.

+5 for me.

And if you look at the running challenge I win even with the last week of no running being sick as a dog.

Still over 100K per week average.

Bourne, what advantages does it offer over the Polar software?

Compatible with multiple HRM brands

Greater range of charts

you can add in additional information

keep track of equipment usage

multiple users

search function

you can set flags for key items

The log view is very flexible and you can view or group together items of choice.

A filter to only see anything of your choosing. eg:show only runs of distance between 10 & 12 km

You can set favorites

A very easy training planner (although I don't plan so don't use it :lol: )

and much more, I'll have to open it up when i get a bit more time and go through it all and add to the list.

Protrainer will still do a fair bit of what Zeropace does but I don't think it's anywhere near as flexible or as detailed.

Triathlog is super!...It would also be great to have an excel/csv download for sending off to the coach etc....and maybe even an upload as well...for the lazy ones among us who haven't updated in awhile! :lol:

Paper diary. Easy to use, always available and I don't need to wait for it to boot up.

+1

99c from Officeworks.....

Guest Schnapper Head

SportsTracks. www.zonefivesoftware.com. You need a Garmin GPS though!

I have been a Polar fan for years however as I've been doing a whole lot of mountain biking lately it's kinda cool to get the mapping function. Also, I like doing my faster run sessions in my racing flats so there being no need for calibration with the Garmin 305 was cool.

If you spend a bit of time digging deep into what the SportsTracks software can do you'll be impressed.

Edited by Schnapper Head

+1

'tis very good... and free (although if you are not a tight-arse you can donate)

+2

training peaks is pretty good.

Care to expand. I am looking at using this purely to chuck in Computrainer stuff along with HR files from running etc.

Interested in the TSS feature - gimmick or useful tool? Any other features you like or recommend?

Price??

Currently use Sports Tracks and agree it is brilliant. If the bloke could work in features for power measurement stuff on the bike I would throw him $$$

I am just using the free version of Training Peaks and logging data manually. I like the fact that it automatically totals and graphs the data.

I use fitnessjournal.org.au. Has heaps of great features. Not sure about other ones, this one you can link with your friends and look at their training, good for motivation.

Care to expand. I am looking at using this purely to chuck in Computrainer stuff along with HR files from running etc.

Interested in the TSS feature - gimmick or useful tool? Any other features you like or recommend?

Price??

Currently use Sports Tracks and agree it is brilliant. If the bloke could work in features for power measurement stuff on the bike I would throw him $$$

There are plugins apparently for TSS and power (SRM files) - what power meter you running?

Developers stuff looks cool too.

Edited by fishboy

Compatible with multiple HRM brands

Greater range of charts

you can add in additional information

keep track of equipment usage

multiple users

search function

you can set flags for key items

The log view is very flexible and you can view or group together items of choice.

A filter to only see anything of your choosing. eg:show only runs of distance between 10 & 12 km

You can set favorites

A very easy training planner (although I don't plan so don't use it :lol: )

and much more, I'll have to open it up when i get a bit more time and go through it all and add to the list.

Protrainer will still do a fair bit of what Zeropace does but I don't think it's anywhere near as flexible or as detailed.

thanks.

will look into it over winter.

There are plugins apparently for TSS and power (SRM files) - what power meter you running?

Developers stuff looks cool too.

Computrainer once to twice a week for specific TT and/or strength efforts

So you use a log but how has it helped you with your training. When ever i use one it becomes a record I have rarely looked at. Also lately have not done the training to warrant filling one in! anyway.

WW logs are useful because you can look back on what you did the previous season, see what worked and what didn't and make adustments from there. I always found it helped keep me motivated to make sure I was 'beating' myself the previous year by doing more.

But the REALLY great thing is not in recording, it's in planning. To get the most out of yourself on a goal race you need to make your training an actual project, complete with milestones (B & C races, test sets, etc), smart progressive loads, and training phases to make sure you get the timing right to peak (explode) on that all important day.

Of course that's where the recording comes into play and goes full circle, because the BEST way to be able to plan what you can do is through examining your history, and the better your history is recorded the better your planning can and will be.

I think (but I'm probably biased because I do a training log website...) a good planning/logging system (whether it's paper, an offline computer program, or a website) is the most important training tool you can have, and far better for your bottom line goal of getting the best out of yourself than buying another $6k+ bike to update last year's model or colour.

Hope that helps, and have fun with whatever way you wanna do it.

Computrainer once to twice a week for specific TT and/or strength efforts

Have you got a file as an example of the output?