Sign in to follow this  
johnp

Weight Training

Hi All,

I'm finding that I am running out of legs before I run out of lungs on the bike lately, and am also looking to change my training a little as I'm getting mentally bored. What I’m thinking is that I might mix in a bit a weight training, probably two sessions a week doing the following:

12-15 Reps each:

Lat Pull Down

Bicep Curl

Triceps pull down

Seated cable row

Dumbbell bench press

Incline leg press

Seated Leg curl

Calf Raise

How does this look?

Thanks,

JP

Looks like the program I give, I'd just leave out the calf raises. They do enough work anywhere :lol:

I would leave out bicep curls and tricep extensions as you get those working in lat pull downs and bench press. I think with limted time you want to do as many exercises utilising multiple muscle groups rather than isolation exercises body builders would use. I would add straight leg deadlift but be sure you have good technique.

So you want to improve your cycling -

More than half your program is for the upper body with limited functional use to cycling -

Lat Pull Down

Bicep Curl

Triceps pull down

Seated cable row

Dumbbell bench press

I don't see how these will improve your cycling?

Better off doing squats, lunges, step ups, isometric things like jumping the box, core stability. that and spend more time on the bike.

What's the difference between a lat pull down and a triceps pull down?

Will, I still think upper body is important. Arms can get tired on long climbs.

Will, I still think upper body is important. Arms can get tired on long climbs.

I think he means tricep extension ... One works your Tris the other works your lats.

Lat Pull Down is where you grip the bar wide, over your head, then pull the bar down either in front or behind your head. Visualise like doing a chin-up.

Triceps Pull Down is where you grip the same bar in close to the centre, with your elbows in tight to your side, then "push" the bar down while keeping your elbows by your side.

Thanks for the input everyone. I agree that a substantial portion of this program is upper body, I figure if I am going to start doing weights again, some overall conditioning would be good.

I'll probably use this program for about three weeks then see how things progress, chances are I'll make changes afetr the first month or so. I'm not planning on taking measurements, so I'll just be going by feel at this stage.

With regard to the squats, I do a boot camp style work out on Wednesday nights which normally includes plenty of squats, push-ups etc, so I didn't include them in this program. I might add some chin ups at some stage though.

JP

Edited by johnp

my weights program is a body pump session....i've no idea if it's the right thing to do...but at least i know that i won't get bored half way through and cut it short.

What about pushups? If you do them properly they're an all over work out!

Core strength exercises? Push up rows maybe?

my weights program is a body pump session....i've no idea if it's the right thing to do...but at least i know that i won't get bored half way through and cut it short.

I've always thought body pump is pretty close to "perfect" weights for triathlon/running. High reps, all free weights so your core and auxillary muscles are engaged the whole time (if you're doing it properly). Only problem I found with Pump was that I never managed to get past the soreness it caused, even after persisting for a month of bi-weekly classes and relatively light weights.

Step 1. Squat. Heavy. Deadlift. Heavier.

Step 2. Drink milk, lots of it

Step 3. Sleep

etc

Add some heavy rows, and youve got perfection right there...

I've always thought body pump is pretty close to "perfect" weights for triathlon/running. High reps, all free weights so your core and auxillary muscles are engaged the whole time (if you're doing it properly). Only problem I found with Pump was that I never managed to get past the soreness it caused, even after persisting for a month of bi-weekly classes and relatively light weights.

Body Pump is designed for the average person that goes to the gym to do some kind of exercise opposed to none. The whole concept of it is to be able undertake weights safely under supervison. Pump exercises are only done with a limited range of movement so the instructor can make sure everyone in the class does it safely. In terms of gains, its now promoted in weight training that if you have the ability to use your entire ROM you should (if you are able to squat lower than 90 degrees you should and if you can bench press with your arms declining below the level of your chest you should).

There is also a lot of opinions about functional training opposed to standard weight training. I am a PT that promotes functional training. Why lay on a bench and do benchpresses when you are never going to be in a position to lift a weight laying on your back fully supported (unless you are a car mechanic)?

There are lots of interesting articles on www.ptonthenet.com which are based around functional exercise and sport specific exercise. There is a whole training library on there aswell that has functional exercises. PM me if you find an article which requires a logon and password.

There are also some great female specific training articles on there ..

I do a thousand pushups every night............

SMB does 1001.............

aimz, how's our form.....?

get off the machines, make it functional and preferably closed chain.

how are you planning on progressing it?

got any specific goals? short term, mid term, long term? for the bike and for the weights

shoot me a pm if you want more specific stuff

I do a thousand pushups every night............

SMB does 1001.............

aimz, how's our form.....?

You know it's good :lol:

Although i'm a little worried about you.... months and months off training, i'm pretty sure you might be getting a little soft around the middle...

There are lots of interesting articles on www.ptonthenet.com which are based around functional exercise and sport specific exercise. There is a whole training library on there aswell that has functional exercises. PM me if you find an article which requires a logon and password.

Great site. Thanks for posting the link. PM sent.

You know it's good :lol:

Although i'm a little worried about you.... months and months off training, i'm pretty sure you might be getting a little soft around the middle...

I'm back on the magda szubanski diet at JC and training weights with Big Wal from BL series 1, so it's under control.....

Hi All,

I'm finding that I am running out of legs before I run out of lungs on the bike lately, and am also looking to change my training a little as I'm getting mentally bored. What I’m thinking is that I might mix in a bit a weight training, probably two sessions a week doing the following:

12-15 Reps each:

Lat Pull Down

Bicep Curl

Triceps pull down

Seated cable row

Dumbbell bench press

Incline leg press

Seated Leg curl

Calf Raise

How does this look?

Thanks,

JP

Have a look at this http://www.crossfit.com/ "CrossFit is the principal strength and conditioning program for many police academies and tactical operations teams, military special operations units, champion martial artists, and hundreds of other elite and professional athletes worldwide.Loads of information and workouts. ".

It concentrates on overall strenght and fitness, rather than just lifting weights. A new workout is posted every day on the home page.

Example workouts:

Complete as many rounds as you can in twenty minutes of:

5 Handstand Push-ups

10 L Pull-ups

15 Steps, Walking Lunge

Five rounds, each for time of:

20 Pull-ups

30 Push-ups

40 Sit-ups

50 Squats

For time:

155 pound Power clean 15 reps

30 Ring dips

155 pound Power clean 12 reps

24 Ring dips

155 pound Power clean 9 reps

18 Ring dips

155 pound Power clean 6 reps

12 Ring dips

155 pound Power clean 3 reps

6 Ring dips

It's a great fitness system.

I'm back on the magda szubanski diet at JC and training weights with Big Wal from BL series 1, so it's under control.....

Oh thank goodness for that.

I was thinking I was going to have to survive another earthquake running at GC with you on the course.... :lol:

Have a look at this http://www.crossfit.com/ "CrossFit is the principal strength and conditioning program for many police academies and tactical operations teams, military special operations units, champion martial artists, and hundreds of other elite and professional athletes worldwide.Loads of information and workouts. ".

I think crossfit is a great system. It is fantastic for jobs that require ok all round fitness and good levels of strength, especially body weight strength. Police and mil around the world eat this stuff up. The WODs and 'girls' workouts mimic exactly the 5% of the time in both of those jobs where physical performance really matters. When I needed to get to 20 heaves for a fitness test, I used some of the 'girls' workouts to get me there.

But let's also get real.....

• Crossfit alone will not develop you into a high performance endurance athlete.

• If you do every workout of the day properly, you tri training will suffer and you will probably get slower

• The almost religious devotion to crossfit of some people is not warranted. It is just a collection of individual movements that have existed for many years and should be adapted to your specific athletic goals, especially in regards to recovery from high intensity crossfit workouts.

If you're running out of legs before lungs, drop to an easier gear and learn to spin. Maybe you've already done this, but lots of triathletes are terrible at spinning a gear. Biking fast is not just about raw strength - a lot of it is about an ability to "float" the pedals rather than just grind a big gear.

If you want to do anything in the road racing space (as opposed to just triathlon TTs) I'd focus on spinning gears and busting a lung doing that first.

Just my 2c, and based on zero knowledge of you as an athlete...