Sign in to follow this  
nealo

Ten Questions with Coach@triathlon

After reading through some of the "Ten Questions" threads and reading the quote below I thought I might do a one or two on those I'd like to hear from.

Anyone can put up the 10 Q's, I got it kick started, but it's open season if anyone wants to post it.....go ahead. Choose your subject thoughtfully and try to imagine whether or not they are going to view the forum that day & by what time.....otherwise it's a blank.

Coach@ is the first one I'd like to hear from. So Coach don't feel compelled to stick completely with the questions, if you have a story to tell or want to take it on a tangent feel free.

Q1. You did your first Triathlon at 15 in 1982, what other sports were you doing at that time? And what made you pick up Triathlons and let the others go?

Q2. How many Triathlons have you done? It’s over two hundred correct? Maybe breakdown the distances?

Q3. Have you ever missed a complete season?

Q4. Favorite races? Reason’s?

Q5. Your still up the pointy end of your age group and in fact the field, are you still doing a lot of training to achieve this or is everyone else just shit? And just for curiosity’s sake what’s your slowest Kurnell time that wasn’t due to an injury).

Q6. Are you enjoying your role with the Endurance Development Squad and also the U23/ ITU Junior squad? What do you enjoy about it the most?

Q7. You’ve got your fingers in a lot of pies, how do you find the time?

Q8. How much sleep do you get? Do you need?

Q9. When was the last time you took your wife to the movies?

Q10. I am a hopeless swimmer; can you really help anyone improve their swimming? Because it appears you can’t help everyone with their diving.

*edit:couldn't post this in the "Ten Questions" forum so a mod will have to move it after Coach has answered.

Edited by nealo

After reading through some of the "Ten Questions" threads and reading the quote below I thought I might do a one or two on those I'd like to hear from.

Coach@ is the first one I'd like to hear from. So Coach don't feel compelled to stick completely with the questions, if you have a story to tell or want to take it on a tangent feel free. /quote]

Q1. You did your first Triathlon at 15 in 1982, what other sports were you doing at that time? And what made you pick up Triathlons and let the others go?

Started competitive life as a swimmer (8 years old...Endeavour swimming Club...raced out of Aquadot swim and squash centre@Sutherland). Never cracked it really. Got to State and National finals a fair bit but the big guys smashed me. Used to love training hard though. It was an era when 20km days and 100km weeks were normal. Used to fall asleep at school a fair bit.

Met some guys through North Cronulla Surf Club (Rick and Gray Parkes, great athletes; and Rick, in particular, used to win the Australian Aquathon Championship every year (His best time was 15.03 for 5k and he could swim a 9 minute 800...in the late 70s). They heard about Triathlon from the Americans and started training on the bike. In 1981 the Elouera Tri-marathons started. I was too young to enter in '81 but raced in '82. The swim was diamond shaped course (2.6k) around Cronulla Beach. The bike leg went out along Captain Cook Drive, Boulevarde, Prince's Highway, to Loftus Road...turn around at the intersection of Old Bush Road....all without road closures or police at traffic lights!!!!!....then back to Olsen's Funeral Home for the bike/run transition! The run was the Sutherland to Surf Course. My dad followed me in our old combi van with my brother and sisters...intermittently he would stop and give me a cup of chocolate moove (milk) for strength! I remember keeling over with stitches and a bloated gut but we thought at the time steak and milk were the food of champions :D

Q2. How many Triathlons have you done? It’s over two hundred correct? Maybe breakdown the distances?

242 Triathlons and probably the same in aquathons, ocean swims, fun runs etc. I mostly raced ODs and sprints because I was a second tier pro trying to pull in a couple of 100 bucks each week. IMs were too time consuming and it meant missing out on racing from week to week. Although some races such as the Royal National Park, Sydney triathlon, and Sri Chinmoy had weird distances (1.5, 42 and 17 ..2,2, 64, 21 etc).

My mates talked me into doing an IM in '93. Didn't respect the distance nor did the training. I got out of the lake in 45.38 ran thru transition like it was a sprint race, all budgies and tank top...started riding fairly conservatively with Pauli Kuiru and Jos Everts from Holland. Pauli got away at about 130k but Jos and I got off the bike (including the swim) in 5.17! Did the first lap of the run into Tuncurry and thought I was going to die...I remember my mates running the other way laughing their arses off at me! Finished ok in the end but got run over by a car in the winter and couldn't do more than 4 hours exercise ever again...so that was it for the IMs

Most memorable HIM was in '98 down at Callala when my brother and I finished first and second overall (little bastard was first!). Really special moment for us...still think of that day a lot

Q3. Have you ever missed a complete season?

Yes, 2000 when my first child was born...always managed one or two races at least in the leaner years.

Q4. Favorite races? Reason’s?

Love Noosa for obvious reasons. Biggest race in Australia, great place to catch up with interstate friends. Love the Kurnells for the community feel and the tradition (first race in '91). Enjoy the National Park races probably the most. Hard to describe but they were a really big deal in the '80s and '90s. A huge challenge. 1.6k in the weir, straight up Audley Hill and thru the Park, then a challenging 17k run. In '89 I had a 3 minute lead and Greg Stewart ran past me with a k to go. He was awesome. Swam like a stone but was the supreme bike rider/runner. One year Olympians Martin Vinnicombe and Brett Dutton raced a team and we outbiked them! They weren't happy but that day went a long way to building respect between the bike/Triathlon communities.

Q5. Your still up the pointy end of your age group and in fact the field, are you still doing a lot of training to achieve this or is everyone else just shit? And just for curiosity’s sake what’s your slowest Kurnell time that wasn’t due to an injury).

I get 1 hour a day to train these days so it's difficult to get fit. I employ the interval method as it is the only way I can achieve the speed for a sprint race. I swim 2.5k 4 times a week but it is all high end 100s, 75s and 50s. At 42 years of age a 5 minute 400m pb is generally good enough to lead out of the water unless Spot Anderson decides to get fit! The bike is all ergo intervals 4 times a week. Step sessions and wattage/heart rate monitoring. Sometimes a ride thru the park with a mate or solo. When I can hold 320 watts for 30 minutes I know I am ok to race. Running is a problem. Injuries have kept the running training on the backburner for over a year now. I intend to see Parky in March so we can sort out the crap hamstring before Worlds in September.

Slowest Kurnell was just on an hour I think. The courses have changed three times over the years.

Elite OD athletes race faster now than they did in the 80s and 90s. IM is about the same as it always has been since '89 with Mark and Dave. The age groups are not much faster but I reckon people don't train consistently enough. Lots of people I coach have days/weeks off for viruses, sore muscles, relationship breakdowns etc. That was unheard of back in the early years of the sport. I grew up reading about Alberto Salazar and Deek who both went 5 to 7 years without a day off training! I adopted that philosophy of consistency. It works. Something is always better than nothing.

Q6. Are you enjoying your role with the Endurance Development Squad and also the U23/ ITU Junior squad? What do you enjoy about it the most?

Love it! The teams are a great bunch of human beings with a passion for the sport. I feel blessed to be associated with them. Some of my younger guys will represent Australia one day. But, more importantly, will develop into wonderful people with a balaced outlook on the world. Our EDS guys have gone on to great things too, like Berkel and Nicole Ward.

Q7. You’ve got your fingers in a lot of pies, how do you find the time?

I train at 4am and work for the rest of the day. You learn to look forward to the solitude of the early mornings. It is spiritual and sets up the mindset for the day. I love the big family thing and coaching/teaching. Triathlon is like a religion to me. It has brought happiness and peace to much of my life. To give some back is a privledge.

Q8. How much sleep do you get? Do you need?

Normally 6 to 7 hours with a 9 hour sleep saturday night. Sometimes have a sleep during the day on sundays if the kids will leave me alone!!

Q9. When was the last time you took your wife to the movies?

Same year the Beatles released the White Album :lol:

Q10. I am a hopeless swimmer; can you really help anyone improve their swimming? Because it appears you can’t help everyone with their diving.

Yes...it is a combination of consistency, technique, and self-belief...my golden rule in season is NEVER have more than 2 days off swimming in a row EVER!

I watched Michellie Jones and Greg Welch go from Lane 9 to 20 x 100s on 1.20. It can be done Nealo :lol: Diving and Dwarfs are as compatible as oil and water :D

*edit:couldn't post this in the "Ten Questions" forum so a mod will have to move it after Coach has answered.

Nice one....thanks Nealo. Freak has a couple coming up...if he's not DNF'd again.

I still say get them up in the early AM to get the full impact.

Coach? Are you the brother of an Olympian? I mean famous swimmer..not an Olympian I guess. (Edited)

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

Guest raccoon

Great read, coach@ was and is still is one of my heros in the sport. Watching him going like a lunatic and then getting on the bike and riding home after a race made me realise I had to train harder than I was to get faster.

Great 10 questions Nealo.

You are a god Mick, and an inspiration to so many that you don't know, like myself for instance.

Here's hoping you are smashing the field for another 10 years at least.

Thanks Coach, good job. :lol:

And around an hour for your slowest Kurnell! :lol: For those who don't know, below is a snapshot of everyone who went under an hour for the last Kurnell (600 odd people sellout). So only 18 people went below one of his slowest times. The only people to beat Coach were the Elite's!! Lucky for them you can't train as much any more.

mick.jpg

Oh and your website is down!

Nice one....thanks Nealo. Freak has a couple coming up...if he's not DNF'd again.

I still say get them up in the early AM to get the full impact.

Coach? Are you the brother of an Olympian? I mean famous swimmer..not an Olympian I guess. (Edited)

Yeah will do some soon, been rather busy...... Nealo can do em if he likes!

Guest Gimili
Thanks Coach, good job. :lol:

And around an hour for your slowest Kurnell! :D For those who don't know, below is a snapshot of everyone who went under an hour for the last Kurnell (600 odd people sellout). So only 18 people went below one of his slowest times. The only people to beat Coach were the Elite's!! Lucky for them you can't train as much any more.

mick.jpg

probably worth noting it was equal 11th and the other 11 folk were in the draft legal part of the race and don't have to race through the field, dodging and weaving like the 40 - 44's

like the callala story - cherish it :lol:

Server is up but not serving coach@'s site. Seems to have changed servers recently so they might just have it pointing to the wrong spot (or they could be doing a big update) ??.

Server is up but not serving coach@'s site. Seems to have changed servers recently so they might just have it pointing to the wrong spot (or they could be doing a big update) ??.

You know too much! :lol:

Yes, 2000 when my first child was born...always managed one or two races at least in the leaner years.

You've had 5 kids in 8 years?! dear god!

Good Stuff Mick...

You were in the top 5 when i did my first triathlon 20 years ago ...

And you still manage to give the youngsters a run for their money these days... :lol:

well done... :lol:

Bear in mind when Mick says "slowest Kurnell" as he notes there have been a few course changes over the years, not least of which is that fact that it used to be a 500m swim, which had a slightly shorter and probably a bit faster bike and also a shorter run. So if his slowest race was on that course it makes a bit of difference,,, still mighty impressive bit a bit slower.

Also Mick will remember when the Kurnell races used to be down the "boat ramp" end before the Holty 500 moved up to the National Park.

Edit: forgot to mention; Top work Nealo, great answers "Coach"

Edited by roxii

Great questions thanks Nealo.

And great replies Coach nice to see some older guy's can still do some seriously fast times.

I think your best was Noosa 89(?) You were firing that day.

ShaneandMick.jpg[/img]

Guest scooter
My mates talked me into doing an IM in '93. Didn't respect the distance nor did the training. I got out of the lake in 45.38 ran thru transition like it was a sprint race, all budgies and tank top...started riding fairly conservatively with Pauli Kuiru and Jos Everts from Holland. Pauli got away at about 130k but Jos and I got off the bike (including the swim) in 5.17! Did the first lap of the run into Tuncurry and thought I was going to die...I remember my mates running the other way laughing their arses off at me!

hahahah That's Gold.

....You’ve got your fingers in a lot of pies

Speaking of pies...

We had this tradition on a Sunday night after a local race....

We would head down to the local 7-11 at Cronulla after a night at Northies...the most prestigious record was the pie -eating record. :D

It currently stands at 11. Held by the great Rick Pallister...probably the best swimmer the sport has seen. Welchie, Macca and MMW have all tried to reach double figures and failed.

The rules were/are;

1) Meat pies only

2) No sauce

3) No liquid (coke, fanta, juice etc to wash it down)

4) at least 2 scrutineers to make sure said pies were fully consumed without loss of any pastry flakes :lol:

Ahh... you have to love tradition :lol:

isn't this challenge now the maccas cheeseburger challenge round the shire?

saw a guy a couple of years back eat 13 and 1 bite... no liquid, no toilet... thats bad ass...

Speaking of pies...

We would head down to the local 7-11 at Cronulla after a night at Northies...the most prestigious record was the pie -eating record. :lol:

It currently stands at 11.

well that's just stupid - I mean, who eats a pie without sauce :lol:

I did two two Domino family super supremes after Nowra one year but that was @ 8pm back in sydney after Nowra then a twenty knot nor' easter windsurfing @ Geroa on the way home, basically nothing to eat since 6 am.

Guest Gimili
Mick Maroney and Shane Johnson

reckon Maroney has got him, almost see him singing eye of the tiger :lol:

Guest Mister Marsellus Wallace
Thought he would pick up on it earlier....need MMW to take a good look at that photo :lol:

I think it is Shane, the chest cavity is not large enough for it to be me in comparison to you mate, although I did have a bog black disc and the square head sure looks like mine, gee there were a lot of opportunities for a photo of us together on the bike like that over the years tho werent there? But yeah I dont think it is me.

It's definitely Shane Johnson. Another member of the Commonwealth Games team by the way, who is still racing and doing Port Mac this year.

On 2/4/2009 at 7:07 PM, Swish said:

You've had 5 kids in 8 years?! dear god!

That's why they need triathlon. :P

On 2/5/2009 at 1:50 PM, rod2day86 said:

I did two two Domino family super supremes after Nowra one year but that was @ 8pm back in sydney after Nowra then a twenty knot nor' easter windsurfing @ Geroa on the way home, basically nothing to eat since 6 am.

I'm new.. This confused me. 

On 2/5/2009 at 11:51 AM, Coach@triathlon said:

....You’ve got your fingers in a lot of pies

Speaking of pies...

We would head down to the local 7-11 at Cronulla after a night at Northies...the most prestigious record was the pie -eating record. :D

It currently stands at 11. Held by the great Rick Pallister...probably the best swimmer the sport has seen. Welchie, Macca and MMW have all tried to reach double figures and failed.

The rules were/are;

1) Meat pies only

2) No sauce

3) No liquid (coke, fanta, juice etc to wash it down)

4) at least 2 scrutineers to make sure said pies were fully consumed without loss of any pastry flakes :lol:

Ahh... you have to love tradition :lol:

This sound lovely and really messy. :D Interesting ^_^