Sign in to follow this  
Sunset

Mt Nebo cycling (brisbane)

Just wondered what Mt Nebo is like to ride up? Is it a tough ride?

Thinking of doing it but the sports doc told me to limit any out-of-saddle climbing (ie: Mt Cootha!)

Just wondered what Mt Nebo is like to ride up? Is it a tough ride?

Thinking of doing it but the sports doc told me to limit any out-of-saddle climbing (ie: Mt Cootha!)

It's a reasonable climb, there are some downhill bits along the way to break it up. I think about 4 short pinches before you hit the top (cafe / school etc.). It can be done all in the saddle (big chain ring Yo?) if your a fairly strong rider, however if your avoiding Mt Cootha, I think it would be safe to avoid Nebo as well.

Just did it myself on Monday and wouldn't call it a sharp climb, just fairly long. As SMB said though there are quite a few breaks and once through the first 5 kms it becomes easier.

Great ride though, wish we had one of those on our doorstep

The trick is to time it, from the big green sign at the bottom to Jolly's Lookout - about 16.3kms in total.

I hear 42min is decent.

Jay and I have been riding it on a Wednesday, but we have been timing it from home.....we will time it correctly next time. :lol:

Beautiful ride and so close to inner Brisbane....enjoy!

In answer to your question, yes it's a tough ride and yes you can stay in the saddle., & yes it WILL hurt.

As the others have said, it keeps going & going but you do get some respite with some good downhills.

If the doctor said no to Mt Cootha, maybe you shouldn't be doing it, but rules are meant to be broken.

Clarkey

It's only tough if you are following Coghead or some bloke on a Green Jake the Snake.

What is a green jake the snake??? :lol:

Guest scooter
What is a green jake the snake??? :lol:

Ask Plaz what it looks like from behind when you can't see for the black spots. Then dig up some threads about Aero positions, fastest tyres etc etc and then cast your eyes upon jake.

jakethesnake.jpg

Bryn is not human. He is part man, part machine designed specifically to crush all those who dare ride with him.

and he must have a set lungs double everyone elses

but he can be tamed. in time of course, but it will happen :lol:

It's only tough if you are following Coghead or some bloke on a Green Jake the Snake.

Or stopping your fall over the side of the mountain using a guard rail as a brake at 80k/hour. :lol: Don't follow Steely!!

im pretty sure i could get away on that kona express pictured above!

all i'm hearing is game on - koko on a jake; lurker on his jake and up nebo we go

Just thought I would update this thread.

I did Mt Nebo this morning (sort of). I made it 15.5km out of the 19km to the top. I'm aim for 16km next time :lol:

Imagine my delight when the coach told us we had to stay in our saddles the whole time - so I didn't have any issue with out-of-saddle climbing!

Just thought I would update this thread.

I did Mt Nebo this morning (sort of). I made it 15.5km out of the 19km to the top. I'm aim for 16km next time :lol:

Imagine my delight when the coach told us we had to stay in our saddles the whole time - so I didn't have any issue with out-of-saddle climbing!

Good job Sunset, was our description close to the mark?

That comment about the big chain ring was a joke though, right?

I doubt many ride up it in the big chain right

You can for certain ride it in the BCR. Might be a low cadence but for sure. It is however much nicer on your chain to go somewhere in the middle of the rear on the small ring.

Sunset, once you get beyong Mcaffees lookout, it is undulating at worst. The harder work is done.

You can for certain ride it in the BCR. Might be a low cadence but for sure.

I was in the easiest gear in the small chain ring and my cadence was barely none existent - just tried to keep turning the legs over!

And I guess that is why I do what I did this morning - to try to build some strength

Balri, sounds good :lol:

Hey guys,

Sorry for digging up an 11 year old thread, but I'm keen to give Nebo a bit of a go in the coming weeks.

I'm becoming slightly more proficient at climbing (I'm about 82kg now and getting used to smashing the 39-28 that I'm running on the road bike and I'm almost starting to enjoy climbing. I think it's also got something to do with the fact that the new Kickr Core smart trainer reflecting hills and now my legs are starting to adjust to it. 

I've been doing Coot-tha every Sunday morning and last weekend I doubled up with Gravatt as well, but I would like to try something different. I'd be heading along the Coro Drive Bikeway from South Bank direction and kicking along Simpsons Rd, Coopers Camp Road and onto Waterworks Road and out to Nebo. 

Does anyone familiar with the area have any recommendations about how to go about it or anything to watch for? Is it worth doing? What are the roads like? Apart from motorcyclists, are the traffic levels reasonable?

Cheers.

Weekdays it's a good ride in the morning, as all the traffic is coming down. It would probably have been good last weekend or over Easter, but I'd leave it this weekend unless you are planning on being at the bottom of the climb by 7-ish. It's a great climb, and not very steep, but there's bugger all edge to the road, so it can be a hassle if there's a lot of traffic. I reckon there's going to be heaps of drivers heading up this first week-end of relaxed restrictions, but they won't be too early.

If you do it and are feeling like a longer ride, continue up to Mt Glorious, and come down through Samford to head back to Brisbane.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

9 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Weekdays it's a good ride in the morning, as all the traffic is coming down. It would probably have been good last weekend or over Easter, but I'd leave it this weekend unless you are planning on being at the bottom of the climb by 7-ish. It's a great climb, and not very steep, but there's bugger all edge to the road, so it can be a hassle if there's a lot of traffic. I reckon there's going to be heaps of drivers heading up this first week-end of relaxed restrictions, but they won't be too early.

If you do it and are feeling like a longer ride, continue up to Mt Glorious, and come down through Samford to head back to Brisbane.

I'll be rolling out of the front door at about 445ish so I'll be at Southbank at about 520ish. Not sure what time I'd be at the bottom of the climb, but I imagine it would be in the rough vicinity of 7am.

10 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I'll be rolling out of the front door at about 445ish so I'll be at Southbank at about 520ish. Not sure what time I'd be at the bottom of the climb, but I imagine it would be in the rough vicinity of 7am.

Should be OK. If you're just going to Nebo, then the first climb is the only extended bit. After that they are all just up & down.

6 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Should be OK. If you're just going to Nebo, then the first climb is the only extended bit. After that they are all just up & down.

I'm trying to find segments on Strava to load into the Garmin, but struggling to find a good one. Is there a 'gold standard' segment that people use as the measuring stick?

What sort of condition is the road in?

2 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I'm trying to find segments on Strava to load into the Garmin, but struggling to find a good one. Is there a 'gold standard' segment that people use as the measuring stick?

Not sure on strava segments, but the road is in pretty good shape. They resurfaced it a few years ago, so much better now. Winds are picking up here now at the bottom of Glorious, so if it continues like it's supposed to, there'll be sticks all over the road. Watch it on the descent.

If you're coming back down to The Gap, it's a fun descent, but if coming down to Samford, there's some very heavy braking on the hairpins.

36 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Not sure on strava segments, but the road is in pretty good shape. They resurfaced it a few years ago, so much better now. Winds are picking up here now at the bottom of Glorious, so if it continues like it's supposed to, there'll be sticks all over the road. Watch it on the descent.

If you're coming back down to The Gap, it's a fun descent, but if coming down to Samford, there's some very heavy braking on the hairpins.

Thanks for that. Might not do it this weekend, but will definitely do it in the next few weeks. 

I'd probably head back towards Cooper's Camp Road and back down towards Coot-tha and Sylvan Road from there. Don't really know that area so not sure about which road goes where into which suburb. Likely to create a course in Garmin and just follow that. 

11 hours ago, BNothling said:

I ride Mt Nebo every few weeks and this is the segment I usually keep track of, starts from just after the bus station at the bottom and finishes at the cafe at the top.

https://www.strava.com/segments/3299651?filter=overall

2 hours ago, k3vski said:

I ride Mt Nebo every few weeks and this is the segment I usually keep track of, starts from just after the bus station at the bottom and finishes at the cafe at the top.

https://www.strava.com/segments/3299651?filter=overall

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Any advice or recommendations about doing this ride?

Just a note.  A lot of people think riding UP to mt Nebo, means you'll be riding DOWN on the way back.  Nope, just as many steep climbs on the way back as the way out.  Also on the return segment just be very cautious of two hair pin turns.  You will know you are coming up to them because there are guard rails.  The first part of the turn is OK, but it turns pretty tightly on the way out, hence the guard rails.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Any advice or recommendations about doing this ride?

What Cat Lady said. Honestly I find Coot-tha (back) much steeper, so you should be alright. Nebo is about 2x longer but there is plenty of rollers on Nebo (hence there is still climbing whilst on the way down) to get a break from the climbing every now and then. 

26 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Just a note.  A lot of people think riding UP to mt Nebo, means you'll be riding DOWN on the way back.  Nope, just as many steep climbs on the way back as the way out.  Also on the return segment just be very cautious of two hair pin turns.  You will know you are coming up to them because there are guard rails.  The first part of the turn is OK, but it turns pretty tightly on the way out, hence the guard rails.

17 minutes ago, k3vski said:

What Cat Lady said. Honestly I find Coot-tha (back) much steeper, so you should be alright. Nebo is about 2x longer but there is plenty of rollers on Nebo (hence there is still climbing whilst on the way down) to get a break from the climbing every now and then. 

Perfect guys. Thanks for that. As a bigger guy, I'm quite happy for a bit of a rest on long drags like this.

Really appreciate the information about the hairpins too. I'll load it into the map and keep an eye out for them. I'm a bit cautious of hairpins after nearly getting caught out on the descent down the goat track at Tambo a few years ago so I appreciate the heads up.

Thanks for rekicking the thread @BNothling - I've been thinking about having a maiden crack at Nebo myself once iso is over...   How would people rate Nebo compared with Mt Mee in terms of climbing difficulty? Thanks!

19 minutes ago, Abby said:

How would people rate Nebo compared with Mt Mee in terms of climbing difficulty? Thanks!

It has steeper sections than Mt Mee. Overall I rate it harder, but as has been said, there are chances to rest on the rollers in the 2nd half.

I used to do reps of Mt Mee, I wouldn't think of doing that for Nebo.

• Like 1

@BNothling I'd recommend a slightly different way out

Ride to the Gap, over Settlement Road towards Samford (optionally taking the paved rail trail to avoid the main road into Samford) then road out to Glorious, taking a left up Goat Track and climbing that straight to the top of Nebo, then descending Nebo.

It's a better way out, with a more solid climb. Goat Track is like backside of Coot-tha but about a kilometre longer. It's a really smooth gravel road that is fine for road bikes and its a road cars rarely drive up. I've ridden it on my road bike countless times. 

Descend Nebo via Mt Nebo Road. Optionally come home via Gap Creek for even more vert!

Sample route starting at Gardens Point in the CBD: https://www.strava.com/routes/26460871

Edited by dazmuzza

I hope you didn't do the ride today. I haven't heard that many cars & bikes heading up there since the Aus Day weekend.

JC Slaughter Falls carpark was nearly full at 5 am. 

When I do this ride, it'll be on a Sunday morning which is my allocated 'Dad goes riding outside time'. Saturday morning is Zwift racing at 0850. 

I was going to give it a miss tomorrow after seeing the sheer volume of people out and about today. Head out to the airport and also to see where the new bikeway that runs along side the Gateway Motorway meets the path so the wife and I can head that way on Monday morning at some point.