Sign in to follow this  
-H-

Shark attack

Just saw my local beach (Dreamtime Beach at Kingscliff) on the news - a surfer lost a bit of thigh flesh to a shark today. :lol: Is that a good enough excuse not to do my open water swim in the morning?

Just saw my local beach (Dreamtime Beach at Kingscliff) on the news - a surfer lost a bit of thigh flesh to a shark today. :lol: Is that a good enough excuse not to do my open water swim in the morning?

I reckon any excuse is a good enough excuse not to swim. Shark just means I NEVER get back in the water! :lol:

And another attack in Tassie...

getting a little too much for my liking !! Thankfully club open water swim is in the Lake :lol:

And another attack in Tassie...

heading to that beach at Easter. :lol:

was hping they would see one before the race this morning.

Guest Gimili

No, put your wettie on, smear yourself in tuna oil and get out there :D No excuses, HTFU. :lol:

Edited by Gimili

have dived in NO cage with bull sharks and bronze whalers in fiji...perfectly safe. When they want you no matter what you do are destined to become shark shit!!

All being said I would rather be attacked by a shark that do Coach@'s hypoxic 3 breaths per 50m sets!!!

Edited by WoronoraApeMan

Wettie? FMD, if the shark didn't get me, I'd die from overheating. It's like a bath in there! :lol:

No, put your wettie on, smear yourself in tuna oil and get out there :lol: No excuses, HTFU. :lol:

and then just think how fast your swim will be, if you are scared, just take a slower or injured swimmer with you :D

News reports down here say Fingal, I'd expect they're talking about the same attack. Fingal is somewhat north of Kingscliff and having surfed there quite a bit as teenager on "Goldie holidays" I recognised the pictures on the news report - it always was known to be sharky because of the river. Suspected bull shark and this time of year there are hundreds on the Gold coast. I'd be making sure I did any open water swims at netted beaches, still not a guarantee but better odds, and always take slower swimmers with you :lol:

We are doing open water swims on Fridays afterwork in the Freo area - i tell you the skin on your finger tips wears thin swimming that close to shore! :lol:

Speaking with a aerial shark patrol pilot - the same amount of sharks get spotted each year they are up there - its only that the public are bored of the media beating up on Qantas planes being delayed or breaking down they have moved to sharks to get the ratings up... but knowing that a shark has attacked in the last month dosn't make it any better :lol:

I agree with Gimili "No excuses, HTFU."

More dangerous riding your bike or crossing the road.

Was there about 3hrs before the attack. Wasn't swimming though, just sightseeing.

tough to find a much nicer place to go sightseeing in Tas, fair chance thats all Ill be doing too.

Scariest part is thinking about how far those big beasts are meant to travel and where it will end up next.

Hey AP would skipping an open water swim on this basis this be an excuse , a reason or a prioritisation??? :lol: Just need that cleared up for future reference :lol:

Edited by worn_out

apparently a bloke got munched snorkelling under the Windang Bridge this morning. Must be all you can eat in Shark-World this week!!!
The man was snorkelling under the Windang Bridge on Lake Illawarra when what is believed to have been a bull shark bit him on the leg, about 10.50am.

"He has 40-odd puncture wounds to his calf but they haven't caused any muscle or tissue damage and he's got some abrasions to his right fist where he's punched the shark," Ambulance spokeswoman Fiona Kruit said.

He doesn't need to HTFU

Well, not really, - but it's a good excuse not to swim to slow!!!!

i heard an 'expert' on the radio today who claimed that the stats say there are no higher amounts of attacks this year than any previous year...

there is heightened awareness, plus randomness of 3 attacks in a short space of time..

AUS have averaged 1 fatality per year since records began and this year is no different

Edited by kokomo

apparently a bloke got munched snorkelling under the Windang Bridge this morning. Must be all you can eat in Shark-World this week!!!

Obviously not a local.

Every man and his dog know not to swim there because the fishermen who fish off the bridge and toss their filleting scraps back into the water as burlie.

And it's about the only bit of deep water in the place.

But AJ, next you'll be telling me not to swim off Paddy's...

Do the local fishos fillet their catch and toss the scraps into the water? or is it the home of the local spear fishing club?

Don't swim off Belambie bombie, another place that is a little sharky nad probably because of the boat harbour and you took some photos not far from it on the SS review

News reports down here say Fingal, I'd expect they're talking about the same attack. Fingal is somewhat north of Kingscliff and having surfed there quite a bit as teenager on "Goldie holidays" I recognised the pictures on the news report - it always was known to be sharky because of the river. Suspected bull shark and this time of year there are hundreds on the Gold coast. I'd be making sure I did any open water swims at netted beaches, still not a guarantee but better odds, and always take slower swimmers with you :lol:

You're right Slowie, it was at the Fingal end of the beach (same beach though). I reckon I can still claim it as "my" beach because I can run there from my place.

I swam in the pool today, by the way. I know, I know - soft. :lol:

The experts are saying it was a 3.5m great white. Apparently they don't tend to hang around for long so everything should be A-OK now. :lol:

The experts are saying it was a 3.5m great white. Apparently they don't tend to hang around for long so everything should be A-OK now. :lol:

Soft. The one in Tas was 5m :lol:

hopefully they have both buggered off together somewhere a long way from any populated beaches.

So whos going to bring out the Geelong shark stories to freak me out before 70.3?

A number of fatal shark attacks in the past few weeks, and now another attack, this time not fatal off Fitzroy Island, near Cairns. The old argument of "more dangerous getting to the beach" is starting to look a bit shaky. 

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

A number of fatal shark attacks in the past few weeks, and now another attack, this time not fatal off Fitzroy Island, near Cairns. The old argument of "more dangerous getting to the beach" is starting to look a bit shaky. 

Really? What is the road toll this year so far? How many fatal shark attacks?

The Fitzroy Island one was more likely to have been a large fish like a GT they say.

Edited by AA7

1 minute ago, AA7 said:

Really? What is the road toll this year so far? How many fatal shark attacks?

But how many of those were going to the beach? ;)

And now another one. A 10 year old boy grabbed off a fishing boat off Tasmania. Luckily only lacerations to his arm & a few other cuts. His dad jumped in and pulled him to safety.

12 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And now another one. A 10 year old boy grabbed off a fishing boat off Tasmania. Luckily only lacerations to his arm & a few other cuts. His dad jumped in and pulled him to safety.

Imagine explaining that one to Mum! :lol:

Glad he's fine but I doubt he'll be allowed to go fishing any time soon.

As a surfer I've seen many sharks. I used to freak when I first saw them but after the first 50 or so and you realise you're still here it's not as scary, but you should never be complacent; dawn and dusk are times of increased risk (and overcast days) so try to avoid those times unless it's somewhere crowded :lol: the crowd will will reduce the chances that you get attacked.

What concerns me is more of these attacks seem to be occurring in broad daylight hours in sunny weather.

27 minutes ago, Slowman said:

Imagine explaining that one to Mum! :lol:

That was my first thought too (after hearing he was ok).

"Yeah Galdys, I took Billy out fishing with me today. A shark grabbed him off the boat, but we managed to pull him back in. A few stitches, but he'll be right. We're heading out again Thursday. He should be right by then."

But also imagine the stories he can tell at school.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Sharks! In the ocean!!! Sacrebleu!

Well the stories aren't about sharks in the ocean, they're about sharks biting people which is quite rare. Hence it makes the news.

On 15/07/2020 at 9:27 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But how many of those were going to the beach? ;)

Technically the kid in Tassie wasn't in the ocean and the boat was quite possibly heading to the beach, so I'm not sure which column to tick for this one. ;)

Glad the little dude is OK. Also, admiration for his dad for diving in after him.

Edited by Paul Every
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Slowman said:

...unless it's somewhere crowded :lol: the crowd will will reduce the chances that you get attacked.

I instantly relax as soon as there is one other surfer in the water.

• Like 1

I feel the same way but with white pointers that's not necessarily enough! There is evidence that white pointers will choose a victim based on some criteria (tastiest, slowest, weakest, whatever) and will pursue that one alone, which explains why they will swim through a crowd ignoring other potential victims that are closer. I used to joke how you don't have to outpaddle or outswim the shark, just the guy beside you, but in the case of white pointers that probably isn't the case.

Here's one article https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17345-great-white-sharks-are-serial-killers-of-the-sea/

but there are others.

6 hours ago, Slowman said:

I feel the same way but with white pointers that's not necessarily enough! There is evidence that white pointers will choose a victim based on some criteria (tastiest, slowest, weakest, whatever) and will pursue that one alone, which explains why they will swim through a crowd ignoring other potential victims that are closer. I used to joke how you don't have to outpaddle or outswim the shark, just the guy beside you, but in the case of white pointers that probably isn't the case.

Here's one article https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17345-great-white-sharks-are-serial-killers-of-the-sea/

but there are others.

A few years ago a young bodyboarder was killed by a GW down south WA, the shark actually swam under around 20 people (mostly swimmers) who thought it was a massive dolphin, before attacking the kid. For whatever reason she was after him, no-one else.

• Sad 1

On 19/07/2020 at 12:17 PM, zed said:

A few years ago a young bodyboarder was killed by a GW down south WA, the shark actually swam under around 20 people (mostly swimmers) who thought it was a massive dolphin, before attacking the kid. For whatever reason she was after him, no-one else.

Yes this has been observed repeatedly which I think in an effort to explain this led to the serial killer/anchor point hypothesis which was then tested and proven.

I think the good news is that if there have been no recorded attacks, or hunting behaviour, in an area there are no anchor points. But the bad news is it probably only makes it less likely but not impossible. I think if they are hungry enough...