Sign in to follow this  
CQTri

Trannie Kona Qualification Study

I think you'll find the seppos are not much different now. its getting just as hard over there too in the big age groups

what you will find is lottery/community/charity entrants from USA that show up which make all the other seppos look bad

Also due to the number of USA IM's in the older age groups pretty much anyone who wants to go can go within reason just show up to enough races

The Euro's still have it the toughest and train the hardest by far and by my observations know a lot about using and obtaining "medicines"

The Euros also seem to have a lot of state funding,military,social subsidy and govt jobs that permitt a full time triathlete amateur lifestyle

Edited by Jimmy C

Yeah but lets remember he was a pro cyclist before all that. I am betting his total base hours are enormous.

Pee is a strange unit. His diet ,sleep patterns, lack of regimen and general disdain for anything serious used to puzzle most of the guys he used to blow away

nothing like a guy chatting to you comfortably and incessantly when you are riding at 45km threshold

he used to drive people insane - ask anyone who got stuck with him on a run . he would pull up alongside and "ask " if he could "run with you and just chat" > he'd then cruise along at 4.30m/k and never shut up while you were gasping!

Yeah but lets remember he was a pro cyclist before all that. I am betting his total base hours are enormous.

Bloddy ex pro's will always kick our ass.

David and I had a swim race last saturday, an all out 100m sprint. He gave me a 5 sec start. He still kicked my ass and I did a 1:15 right at the end of our main set doing free. He came past me doing backstroke in 1:08 :lol:

fluro :lol:

This is what I have so far

This is the study but the link does not work. if anyone has a hard copy that could be posted that would be great

www.triahtlontrainingsurvey.net/kona.html

"The average V02max for a young healthy male is 45-55ml.kg.min. The average athlete is able to improve his V02max by approximately 5-15%. This equates to having a V02max of around 62ml.kg.min. A study conducted by O’Toole on 30-34yr old Hawaii Ironman qualifiers shows that they have a V02max of around 60-65ml.kg.min. What does all this mean? It will mean that you don’t need to be a genetic freak in order to qualify for Hawaii. It will mean that the average person with the right level of commitment can qualify for Hawaii. You have the potential, you just need the desire. "

"Studies have shown that there is a strong correlation between training volume and IM performance. In laymen’s terms those that went faster train more. So you’re probably thinking what would then be the optimal volume be in order to maximize your chances of qualifying for Hawaii? Well I have the answer it is 840hours P.A. A study conducted by www.triahtlontrainingsurvey.net/kona.html in almost all age groups, excluding those over 75 year age bracket, the average annual training volume equates to 840hrs in the 12months preceding their Ironman event, in which they did qualify for Hawaii. "

"Training volume alone accounted for 73% of the variance between those they did qualify for Hawaii and those that almost qualified for Hawaii. In short, the Hawaii qualifiers are very consistent with their training, regardless of weather they will still execute their key sessions week in week out. These are guys that are willing to put together a 16+ hr training week every week for the 12months leading up to their Ironman event. "

"As you can see this is clearly a lot of training. Surprisingly, the majority of these guys also are working full time, married and have children. Without a doubt the primary limiter for those who don’t qualify for Hawaii is time. The Hawaii qualifier clearly shows they are the master of being time efficient. "

"The big stand out for the Hawaii qualifiers is that their training season in terms of weekly volume is very consistent over the course of 12months. There is no off season for these guys. Early season training consists of incorporating specific single sport focus blocks of swimming, riding and running. The colder months seem to be dedicated to focusing on doing running blocks. The running focus appears to be a requirement for most Hawaii qualifiers and this clearly shows up in their results. Hawaii qualifiers are able to run between 3:00-3:30, which appears to be a prerequisite for qualifying. "

I really love this last point. I think until you can run a sub 3:30 you need to keep slowing down in the swim and bike until you can. Once you do that then your ready to start building on your swim and bike. Hawaii qualifiers that run sub 3:30's are the majority not the minority. Shouldn't running 5:00min/ks or just under on a well paced swim and bike be the most achievable thing to do in an IM, however, in reality it appears to be the most difficult.

Hope it helps

fluro

Edited by fluro2au

There is nobody deciding whats "fair" on getting to Kona. Its only going to get tougher each year. You either pay the price or you dont go fella. But I can assure you every minute you spend over there at that race you think f-k it was all worth it. I've never met anyone who regretted the long hard sacrifice to get to Kona. I remember MMW saying he didnt appreciate how cool it was until years afterwards. Once you accept you wont be able to live a "balanced" life and qualify for Kona its a lot easier :-)

Spot on. I qualified in '02 and didn't take in the whole experience. It is only now i realise how amazing it was.

I want to go back - BAD!!!!!

David and I had a swim race last saturday, an all out 100m sprint. He gave me a 5 sec start. He still kicked my ass and I did a 1:15 right at the end of our main set doing free. He came past me doing backstroke in 1:08 :lol:

Until you said 'backstroke' I was thinking 5 secs wasn't very generous of him.

i had a discussion with a mate at lunchtime and here are the heuristic conclusions:

-Bachelor of IM(Kona) is a 1.5 year full time or 3 year part time course for most

-the core subjects take approximately 1800hrs to complete (3x600) ie 15hrs a week for 2-3 years on average

-the entry requirements are acceptable BMI, body fat under 15%, no biomechanical or injury problems and 97.5 percentile aerobic and strength capabilities (ie regular strenuous exerciser for many years prior to admission). NOTE only 5% of the general population exercise anyway so Im saying top 50% of the 5% left

-Most entrants have an IQ above 100

-HOWEVER a lower entry requirement to the above is acceptable once a 2-3 year bridging course is completed

-Mature age entry to the course is an alternative with reduced entry standards

-Grad Dip IM (Kona) has no coursework just an exam which is an absolute bitch

-Masters IM (Kona) >>>only about a dozen have ever been given out

-PhD >>>only 4 awarded ever Scott,Allen, Newby Fraser and Baadman

Haha The school of IM>>> I like it >>>get Hilly to be the Professor

Guest scooter

Is this a limiting factor ? I may be in trouble.

it is. stupid people take a lot longer to understand the basic science and technical elements of quite a complex sport

This is what I have so far

This is the study but the link does not work. if anyone has a hard copy that could be posted that would be great

www.triahtlontrainingsurvey.net/kona.html

"The average V02max for a young healthy male is 45-55ml.kg.min. The average athlete is able to improve his V02max by approximately 5-15%. This equates to having a V02max of around 62ml.kg.min. A study conducted by O’Toole on 30-34yr old Hawaii Ironman qualifiers shows that they have a V02max of around 60-65ml.kg.min. What does all this mean? It will mean that you don’t need to be a genetic freak in order to qualify for Hawaii. It will mean that the average person with the right level of commitment can qualify for Hawaii. You have the potential, you just need the desire. "

"

Thanks for that info. Very interesting.

For the middle of the packers I note that I recently did busso at 10.54 with an average training time over the last 4 months of 11.3 hours a week, with weekly volumes of 5.4 swimming (I am a crap swimmer too - 1.11), 181km bike and 38km running. I was surprised when I broke it down - thought I'd done a bit more.

basically the exact same training for port has got me 11.23 and 11.25. For me this simply reflects the impact of the course with the same preparation.

I certainly adhere to what many people have said about getting to Kona. We had a two time kona qualifier living with us in the 2 months leading up to port and there was just no comparison btw his training and my training.

I think there is someone who can top that !! Where's PeePee? I think he ran about 12k a week for 5-6 weeks in 2004 and knocked out a 3.12 marathon at IMNZ and qualified for Kona. Larsen(PeePee) used to just go out and ride 1000km a week for 4 weeks and that was his aerobic work done. He swam about 5 times in the 12 months before the race The guy was a freak (still is now for different reasons) Pee Pee where are you

I’ll say I have never been much of a scholar of IM training but have always generally done the training I think I’ll get the biggest return on investment from on race day.

I like doing the races but not so much the training and have generally been juggling lots of different things [study, business, family] making triathlon a side show rather than the main event of my life at any given moment.

My training has generally been

- 8-10 weeks of concerted biking 250-450km a week for a total of 3500km

- 4-5 weeks of running starting with 5km and maxing out at 20km for a total of 100km.

- a few squads and a few open water swims to refresh. A few times I have done no training swims at all before the race and just swum a couple of consecutive days in a row before the race.

I’ll be the first to say this is inadequate and not the best way to prepare, and usually I’ll be wishing I did more training at some stage in every race but I just have not placed that much importance on the events so if there is something to be compromised between family, business or triathlon then usually sport is the first to go.

I’ll reiterate Jimmy’s key points and add a few:

- training consistency leads to greatest improvements

- quality reigns supreme over volume

- improving body composition offers far better returns that fitness or strength

- pick 2 key sessions in the whole week and really nail them

- minimise time analyzing all the shit [or talking about it here] if it is time you could be training or sleeping

- spend plenty of time training at your desired IM pace

- actually think through your nutrition in a detailed way and assess if it enough [or too much]

Spot on. I qualified in '02 and didn't take in the whole experience. It is only now i realise how amazing it was.

I want to go back - BAD!!!!!

That's one of the main qualifications, wanting it bad enough :D many would like it but not bad enough :blink:

so if AP didnt make excuses and trained more he would go faster

I am not making any more excuses, and I will go faster :lol: i was only 85% fit in Busso and qualified for Kona, I know I have more to give :lol: I didn't need to waste it in a qualification race ;) I walked away from the finish line as though it was a training run, I didn't even bother with a massage :D

i had a discussion with a mate at lunchtime and here are the heuristic conclusions:

-Bachelor of IM(Kona) is a 1.5 year full time or 3 year part time course for most

-the core subjects take approximately 1800hrs to complete (3x600) ie 15hrs a week for 2-3 years on average

-the entry requirements are acceptable BMI, body fat under 15%, no biomechanical or injury problems and 97.5 percentile aerobic and strength capabilities (ie regular strenuous exerciser for many years prior to admission). NOTE only 5% of the general population exercise anyway so Im saying top 50% of the 5% left

-HOWEVER a lower entry requirement to the above is acceptable once a 2-3 year bridging course is completed

-Mature age entry to the course is an alternative with reduced entry standards

-Grad Dip IM (Kona) has no coursework just an exam which is an absolute bitch

-Masters IM (Kona) >>>only about a dozen have ever been given out

-PhD >>>only 4 awarded ever Scott,Allen, Newby Fraser and Baadman

Haha The school of IM>>> I like it >>>get Hilly to be the Professor

This is good stuff - very true :D

It must b e awesome to be in an AG where your competitors have to unhook their dialysis machine and/or get helped out of their wheelchair prior to starting the race............... :lol:

It must b e awesome to be in an AG where your competitors have to unhook their dialysis machine and/or get helped out of their wheelchair prior to starting the race...............

Look after yourself buddy and you'll be there one day :lol: get off the Hammer products, they won't get you there :lol:

My training has generally been

- 8-10 weeks of concerted biking 250-450km a week for a total of 3500km

- 4-5 weeks of running starting with 5km and maxing out at 20km for a total of 100km.

- a few squads and a few open water swims to refresh. A few times I have done no training swims at all before the race and just swum a couple of consecutive days in a row before the race.

PeePee if you care to answer.

You come from a cycling background and I would presume do more cycling in the other 42 weeks of the year than swimming and running?

Why do you concentrate on 8-10weeks on cycling when I pressume this is your strength and less on the others? Aerobic return? Low impact? Just enjoy it more? Easier to build a strength?

I will add a little bit here but preface it by saying that this is not necessarily a very good way to go about things.

The reason I say this is that I qualified for Kona self-coached and then trained under AP to actually prepare for Kona after qualifying.

I have subsequently seen that my self-coaching was very hap-hazard and I consider myself very lucky to have actually qualified. I have seen that there are much surer ways to train and greatly improve your fitness.

I'm kind of stuck also by not being able to train too much due to having to work a fair bit inculding some long shifts that wreck me for a day or 2 after.

So I qualified in 25-29AG (but had to race in 30-34 due to birthday) at Taupo 2008.

Swim: 1-2hr per week

I am really really not a swimmer. Did not swim in a squad at all.

Did 1, max 2 swims per week of about an hour entirely technique (did not use up my 20-entry pass in 4mth lead-in).

Only did this little because it was too boring to do more by myself.

Bike: 8-10hr per week

Trained mainly my myself or with a friend or 2. Tried to do lots of hills and one long ride per week up to ~5hr.

Indoor trainer also was very useful

Run: ~8hr per week

This was the main focus.

2 hilly runs per week of 1.5-2hr were the keys

Regular runs and tried to run 5x per week if possible

I felt like I was working hard.

Having since worked with AP I see that my body can take loads more than the above, but as has been already stated, REST is key! I still have a lot of learning to do!

So tips from me have probably already been said, but reinforcement is important!

- Desire, consistency and rest are all that are needed to get you to Kona (IMHO!)

- You can get to Kona self-coached but it's damn risky. If you want to be sure, get a coach.

- The run is where it's at. You will run to Kona, so train and race to run well.

- Anyone can get there for sure (see tip 1)

:lol:

PeePee if you care to answer.

You come from a cycling background and I would presume do more cycling in the other 42 weeks of the year than swimming and running?

Why do you concentrate on 8-10weeks on cycling when I pressume this is your strength and less on the others? Aerobic return? Low impact? Just enjoy it more? Easier to build a strength?

Yes, regularly I do absolutely no swimming and running in the other 42 weeks of the year. This is something I will have to change though.

The answer is basically because I know I can fake my way through the swim and run on very little training and I am simply less passionate about swim training and perhaps not predetermined to be a natural runner to clock up the miles others do without soreness or injury.

It has to be noted that I can only fake my way through the run if I have a little cycling form to get me to the start of the marathon relatively unscathed.

Anyway, the answer is kind of all of the above. Cycling is low impact, very aerobic and I love to do it. Spending the same time running would give greater fitness results but I just can't slip into regular running like others.

I finally have a little goal of my own and I just ran my first run training session in a very long time today. 2km was all I did. One of the habits I would like to form this year is regular running regardless of the distance - specifically so that the next time I think an Ironman is on the cards I can contemplate 30-40km run weeks and hopefully the performance returns that would come with them.

Not sure that I can add much to what has already been posted above. Some excellent contributions.

Agree that the path to Kona can be reduced (either in years to qualify or training volume per preparation) if you have been "fit" for most of your adult life. That's certainly been my experience. I don't seem to need to do the volume or the 12 month straight consistent training that others with a younger "atheleic age" (as gordo puts it I think) do in order to qualify.

I've been to Kona twice (2006 and 2008). Qualified for 2006 at my 3rd IM. I usually do a 14 week prep for IM, with average of 15hrs per week, made up of approx 8km swim, 250km bike, 50km run. And I'm certainly not a gifted athlete (pb swim of 65 mins). Think my background of being relatively fit for a number of years (albeit not in triathlon) and identifying what works and what doesn't, what's important and what's not (see Jimmy C's tips) relatively quickly [some will never get it] has helped significantly in getting me to the Big Island.

The other important factor that seems to be overlooked a lot in discussions re getting to Kona is the need to have a bit of "mongrel" (was going to use my favourite C word but thought better over it) in you. Unfortunately for some (and fortunately for others) I don't think that can be trained.

The other important factor that seems to be overlooked a lot in discussions re getting to Kona is the need to have a bit of "mongrel" (was going to use my favourite C word but thought better over it) in you. Unfortunately for some (and fortunately for others) I don't think that can be trained.

Yup, point well made.

I have always said I don't have a god given talent to swim, bike or run but I have always been good at suffering.

I raced Kona in 2002 and 2004 via IMNZ both times and reckon you need to pick a qualifier that suits your talents. NZ always seems to be a little bit more of a grovel compared to other races so suits a good sufferer.

I would second that "suffering" thing for sure, PP.

I know I totally lack any reminant of "mongrel", but man I just can't get enough suffering and I think that helps.

I would second that "suffering" thing for sure, PP.

I know I totally lack any reminant of "mongrel", but man I just can't get enough suffering and I think that helps.

I enjoy seeing you suffer as well mate....... :lol:

Guest Mister Marsellus Wallace
I dont have time to look up old training logs but here's a few observations I've made about myself and other close friends that have been to the Island:

-Consistency over anything else leads to greatest improvements

-Quality reigns supreme over volume

-Core strength( and I mean real core strength really focused fine muscle control ) will have more affect on your IM times than any other training you do

-When you just enjoy it and dont live like a tri nerd you get fit and race fast

-Get a handle on your stomach- again getting your nutrition right will do much more than that 4th bike in a week or extra 20k run

-When you are tired rest then rest some more- this is part of the training- if you are training consistently and feel like you are resting too much you probably have it just right

-Recovery is a training session! The ice baths, compression garments, lying still have huge affect on whether a session works or not- more than you think. Way more. Its the interest paid on the deposits in the bank

-There are only really 1 to 2 important sessions in the whole week- get these right (rest up, nail the nutrition,recover properly) and your results will go throught the roof

-Going to podiatrists,doctors,phsios and chiro is training! The time spent here will have more effect on your results on that extra training session

-Never train only on your own

-Never train only with a group

-Dont ever worry about the speed of anyone in training. The fastest guys are usually the slowest trainers

-Minimise time on diaries,electronics, logs etc- it makes f-k all difference and is just time that can be spent training/resting/socialising

-on race day dont race- the fastest guys almost invariably accept that what you put out on a race course is not too much different to the compfortable tempo pace you do in training- no miracle will ever occur on race day

-learn how to swim 400m very fast and settle down to aerobic- the first 400m of an IM swim makes more difference to your time than any amount of swim training- get away get in a good group and settle into the draft

-always ride the bike so that it feels like you should have gone harder

-the fastest guys on the bike tend to spend the most time on their equipment and fit they are not usually the most powerfull bikers on paper

-never worry about the pace of the first 5km of the run

-the fastest IM runners are very rarely the fastest runners on paper but they focus their training on running relaxed and efficiently

-for a working stiff there is rarely any marginal returns above about 15-18hrs per week

-dont keep training/racing if its not fun or you feel tired constantly- the old IM'ers must train through tiredness is BS.

Brilliant!

Only think you forgot........

Good sleep is the BEST training..

I would hate to see how Ricky from Tasmania would go in the harsh sun in Hawaii :lol:

That jaggard race suit he was wearing at Busso wouldn't last 5 minutes out on the Queen K - temp clock on the side of the road was 44 deg.. :D

consistanecy , no injuries and feeling good at the start of every session - would be the 3 best things i would wish for in training for a ironman. :lol:

Well, thanks for the responses.

Definitely a broad spectrum of replies and some pearls in there.

I know I totally lack any reminant of "mongrel", but man I just can't get enough suffering

What's the difference?

Isn't 'mongrel' just a dogged refusal to stop when you really should, aka enjoy suffering or is it something else?

I will dig up my data on the weekend to give you a "just scraped in" perspective.

Agree with most comments above. It is definitely worth the suffering and sacrifices.

Quality vs quantity is particularly relevant on the bike. I had a shocker on the bike at Kona in 08. I looked at my ride data over winter 08 compared with my ride data before NZIM 08 (where I qualified) and although I was doing similar miles I was not going as hard on similar rides in winter. Junk miles on the bike just make you tired without much fitness gain, assuming you have a reasonable base.

If you are trying to work out where would be the best place to qualify looking at times from previous years, don't forget to factor in that every year the age group will go faster assuming the same conditions.

Great thread, and thanks to all for the tips!

Couple of questions...

- pick 2 key sessions in the whole week and really nail them

So the 2/3 sessions you try to nail each week. Are they all interval sessions or TTs? I mean you don't go out to nail a recovery swim, right?

Also, can anyone expand on the "quality over quantity" term? I read/hear this a lot but am not 100% on how it works.

Is a quality session only where you are completely fresh when you start and completely hammered when you finish?

Does it have to be a faster time or higher HR/Effort than previous sessions over the similar distance to be good quality? I suppose I am asking if quality=hard?

Thanks,

Edited by MountainMan

Great thread, and thanks to all for the tips!

One question...

So the 2/3 sessions you try to nail each week. Are they all interval sessions or TTs? I mean you don't go out to nail a recovery swim, right?

Also, can anyone expand on the "quality over quantity" term? I read/hear this a lot but am not 100% on how it works.

Is a quality session only where you are completely fresh when you start and completely hammered when you finish?

Does it have to be a faster time or higher HR/Effort than previous sessions over the similar distance to be good quality? I suppose I am asking if quality=hard?

Thanks,

my quality sessions are setting a goal for the session and getting it done. for me it is always race specific. long ride, with a 10k run at the intensity i would start the marathon at, dictated by hr usually.

when i race the first 7 hours are completely familiar to me. exactly the same as any saturday morning. what happens after that will be dictated by your mind and more importantly , desire.

but dont discount the importance of quantity. in an ironman the fittest guy nearly always wins - or buggers up and still finishes high enough up. the 5 people in your age group who qualify probably all train alot more than you (not you personally). of course their are exceptions in luck and ability.

so i would say quality can be any sesion that has an aim, which is specific to your goal. if the aim its too mindlessly ride for 3 hours, just pedal, not hard, not easy, no hr, and you do it, its quality

here are some more quotes from AC and Chucky V

"Hey Alan,

I am actually quite surprised that you haven’t seen any other athletes hitting those numbers and not pulling out some similar Ironman Times. Perhaps it is simply the accumulation of three years of ~725 hr years. I honestly don’t have any secrets that one couldn’t find online. Back in 2006, ~715hrs was tough and I was injured a ton. That year I just barely cracked 10hrs in an Ironman. Then 2007 I managed to hold similar volume without injury and got to a 9.5hr time. Then this past year, 725 hrs was MUCH easier and I met my goal of cracking 9hrs. Had I hit 800 or even 900 hours last year or the year before I don’t think it would have done me any good. Perhaps I’m ready to do that type of volume now…we’ll see.

My biggest resource in ‘06/’07 was Gordo’s old site. The one with all the tips. The information on that page is awesome. Plus a few of his blog entries. Mark Allen had a couple key articles that I found worked well for me. In the later part of this year Chuckie and his blog added some further benefit. To quote Peter Reid – “it’s not that complicated.”

Trevor"

"Thanks Trevor.

Nope, you top the list as far as training input for performance output at least in volume terms.

Definitely agree that stacking 3 years of 700+ hours has a very positive effect on your performances this year. Since most of the guys that I currently work with are AGers, that is very tough to do. That 700-800hrs per year represents breakpoint volume for most of those guys.

Also, not sure if you track intensity in your program but I suspect that the steady- mod hard component of your program sneaked up over the years with your impoved tolerance. 700hrs of easy training is one thing, 700hrs with a good chunk of steady and mod-hard main sets in another. I can see myself achieving the former this year but not the latter for a couple more to come.

This has always been a dilemma for the non time limited elites that I have worked with. More vs. Harder. Usually these guys benefit from more.

I'm sure you'll have a great 2009!

Best,

AC"

"AC,

I'm not entirely sold on the genetic component either, to be honest. I still think anyone who can train 25 hours a week for 25 weeks is capable of cracking 9:30 at an Ironman, assuming they throw some ever-ambiguous "quality" into the mix and then execute the details properly come race day. If they can train 25 hours a week for 250 weeks they ought to be faster yet, but they still need to nail those pesky little race day details (i.e., pacing properly/fueling optimally). In less-than-scientific terms: work = results.

But let's say a guy or gal possesses a lofty max O2 uptake and does all of the above equally as well as someone whose VO2max is 20% lower; won't they just annihilate the poor sucker? (Over-simplified, I know...)

I'm sure you've seen the latest on sportsscientists.com. Here's the link for anyone else interested. Basically it comes down to this: talent = crap.

Hard work trumps all inadequacies...the latter of which I suffer no dearth, the former of which takes too much work. Thank goodness training is fun.

Chucky V"

fluro

Guest scooter

AP is referrring to a Swim/Windtrainer/Run workout and the Big Day Sunday. The Windtrainer set is intervals, the swim is ummm..... AP can describe that. And the run is usally what you have left :lol: Sundays are the normal long days that most of us squeeze in somewhere during the week Bike/Run anywhere from 4 hours to 8-9 Hours :lol:

QUOTE (scooter @ Jan 6 2009, 03:40 PM)

it is. stupid people take a lot longer to understand the basic science and technical elements of quite a complex sport

This has to be the quote of the week :lol:

This is probably the most informative thread I've ever read on here. It's all based on the personal experience of a bunch of successful guys. Not some twit who has googled it and presents all the scientific reports and links :D

It's the "real deal" :lol: Any athlete wanting to make the journey to Kona would be wise to save some of the info on here :D

here are some more quotes from AC and Chucky V

fluro

Those quotes ring true with me for sure. I remember the training I did when I first started was at best 9 hrs per week and found it so hard. That same 9 hrs per week the second year was a lot easier to absorb and now feels like nothing.

I am seeing the light.

So a 700+ hr year this may feel like hell, but next year you will see the benefit of it.

Out of curiousity. Can anyone from experience say whether when you follow a big year with a lot smaller year, do you lose most of this 'base' or does a lot of it hang around for quite a while?

What's the difference?

Isn't 'mongrel' just a dogged refusal to stop when you really should, aka enjoy suffering or is it something else?

I guess there are probably a few different definitions.

The way I took it was that mongrel is the dogged desire to smash everyone around you rather than necessarily yourself.

That's what it meant to me anyway :lol:

This is probably the most informative thread I've ever read on here.

Agreed! Very interesting read.

I would say from memory that I think my mileage would have been comparable to that of Roo in the years I qualified. '94, '02 & '03, although as someone said earlier, you have only to race there once to get the experience that is an unforgetable experience, and for me, it was an experience that i didn't really want to repeat, which is why I did only the '94 race, of the 3 times I qualified. I like to race, even at IM, and I couldn't do that in Kona, too hot for me, and I acknowledged that. I loved racing NZ, I could actually have a go and have a chance at a decent finish. To just participate is not something that interests me, which again is why I don't compete any more, I don't have time or motivation to do all the training required to go as fast as I think I could, and for me, it'd be time wasted training just to participate.

Gonna get flamed for that i'm sure! But hey, rather know when to call it a day than be an obsessive compulsive that doesn't know when to stop. Too many triathletes around like that already!

Hawaii is of course the pinnacle of our sport, and anyone who has the chance to race there should jump at it, but never feel like you 'need' to race at hawaii to justify doing Im.

As has been said a couple of times, the 3 main factors for IM improvement are

1) consistency

2) consistency

3) consistency

I would say from memory that I think my mileage would have been comparable to that of Roo in the years I qualified.

I can't beleive that you haven't kept your computer files from 94 to show us :lol::lol:

You raise an interesting point though. Is it possible to just 'participate' and qualify or do you have to 'race'?

I can't beleive that you haven't kept your computer files from 94 to show us :lol::lol:

You raise an interesting point though. Is it possible to just 'participate' and qualify or do you have to 'race'?

As a serial participator I'd say no. I know my mindset is very different to those racing for the pointy end. You need to be a lot hungrier for it than I am to get to Kona. But I still get a lot of satisfaction out of participating.

:lol::lol::D:D:D;)

We have made the big time now.

A trannie thread that initiated an ST thread

After reading, suggest not going there, best comments below, as the thread goes Off Topic pretty tragically

Edited by CQTri

jusy wanted to add my two cents to cervelorider: lotto sux! You people out there that take lottery positions are thieves, stealers of a dream the rest of us self respecting triathletes aspire to earn with years of hard work and training, sweat, sacrifice, and injury. Ironman should be ashamed they provide it, it sickens me. Maybe their should be a lottery to play quarterback for one play in the superbowl too, or a lottery to swim the 400IM in the olympics. F'n GAY.

Some comments from ST I liked

So, my number one tip is to RIDE THE BIKE. This needs to be a complete shift in your thinking. Ride 7 days a week. Ride 10 hours on weekdays and 10 more on the weekends. Bike before you bike, and then bike some more. You will cut 30 minutes off of your RUN split by doing this.

Man do you guys have the ability to actually stay on topic? Reading through the thread in OZ there is a lot of very useful tips being offered

Thanks for the link

Edited by CQTri

A good one to back up Fluro's original estimate

2008 Training Load: 571,000 yds swimming; 7,711 miles biking; 1,373 miles running; and some other miscellaneous hours in the gym; grand total hours: 716 (13.8 hrs per week).

Experience: Qualified at IMCDA in June 2008; first IM, but starting doing shorter tri's in 2003; slowly built the volume. Athletic background: All American swimmer (1986-1989).

Tip #1: (General) Consistency and focus. In early 2008, I told myself I was going to qualify for Kona. For the next six months, it seemed like a singular focus. While my training load wasn't off-the-charts, this quest was all consuming.

Tip #2: (Specific training idea): The long bike/run brick. Every three weeks for three months prior to the race, I did a 5hr ride/1hr run. I rode the bike at IM pace and ran at 30 seconds under IM pace. If I couldn't do that, I would make adjustments to nutrition or pacing, or I would adjust my IM expectations. In essence, I dialed in my bike pacing and nutrition so that come race day, I had eliminated some (but not all) variables. I was pretty certain I could ride 5:20 and run 3:30. Having confidence in your pacing going into an IM is key.

who's that yoyo guy over there ? he's out of control.................... :lol:

very opinionated on the white clothing thread.......

who's that yoyo guy over there ? he's out of control.................... :lol:

very opinionated on the white clothing thread.......

on fire :lol:

Trannie Kona Qualification Study 1234

Roo, Jawa, Knackered, Matty, Coghead, Bulldog, SilentR

Very amusing, I don't see the names of those distinguished gentlemen who have argued the case for "making excuses" :lol:

The ones who came out fighting at the challenge to "spend one week of the year without making any excuses" :D

I wonder why they weren't ask to comment on this thread :lol:

:D:D;):blink:;):blush:

We have made the big time now.

A trannie thread that initiated an ST thread

After reading, suggest not going there, best comments below, as the thread goes Off Topic pretty tragically

good to see the yanks were able to provide some useful info for the average punter out there :lol::lol::D

Very amusing, I don't see the names of those distinguished gentlemen who have argued the case for "making excuses" :lol:

The ones who came out fighting at the challenge to "spend one week of the year without making any excuses" :D

I wonder why they weren't ask to comment on this thread :lol:

Perhaps none of them have done an IM....

Perhaps none of them have done an IM....

Perhaps that's the case.

Perhaps also, none of those that 'came out fighting' were against the take home message of the thread, just were appalled at the way it was put across :lol: