Sign in to follow this  
CQTri

Trannie Kona Qualification Study

Using Fluro's info from another site, it would be interesting if we can get some information from Trannies that have qualified for Hawaii and whether their training records (hrs) are similar.

Would have thrown more names in the title but it won't let me, so sorry if I missed you out. Other names that come to mind include CEM, AP, HairyLegs, MrsShuffla, JimmyC, Wetspot, Mattp, Windmagnet. Who have I left out?

Not sure if you all keep that type of information, but would be good if you do to share that type of annual data for us ordinary folk. :lol:

The faster you go the more you end up needing to do. I have a hawaii qualification study done on around 300 athletes that have all qualified for Hawaii. In all age groups excluding the 65 plus age group the average annual hours exceeds 800.

That averages out around 15hrs PW for 52 weeks of the year. Obviously these guys periodise their training, but that is a alot of training for guys and gals that generally work full time and are raising a family.

It's Alan Couzens crew

This is what he says about the top 3 athletes

"a) S-245, B-661, R-271, balance X-Train (mainly ski)

:lol: S-116 B-404 R-183 balance X-Train

c) S-159 B-336 R-193 balance X-Train

Athlete A is a pro with relatively unlimited time and a bike limiter. Athlete B is a top AGer who came into the season with a slight weakness on the bike (and came out of the season a freakin' animal on 2 wheels :-) Athlete C is another top AGer with a slight weakness on the bike. He too came out of 2008 pretty balanced. The only real difference between bike training schedules (& volumes) for the 2 is due to the fact that b lives in a pretty rough climate while c could bike train all year round.

CQTri,

I'll post some info up later today. I'll break it down into specific (structured) training hours ie: 14 week plan for Kona/Pt Mac etc. then an overall amount of hours for the year.

Lucky enough to have gone to Kona twice so should have some interesting data.

Matty

these are for 2008 total

total training time - 1098 hrs

swim ---- 213 hrs ---- 658 km

bike ---- 700 hrs ---- 21700 km

run ---- 179 hrs ---- 2343 km

Edited by roo

these are for 2008 total

You're a nutter. :lol:

21700k on the bike? Most people don't even do that in their car.

That is a lot of hours as well. Averaging over 21 a week for the entire year. Are you married or have kids? If so I would assume that was a pretty tough year.

What is missed with a 1 year snap shot is history. Most of the guys in that list have many years of IM in their legs. Roo on the other hand like myself does not. I think the better question should be

'what were your total training hours from when you started triathlon until you first qualified for Kona including non triathlon swim, bike and run?'

Roo would likely have the smallest totals for that one.

Guest scooter

I tell you what Coghead qualified on the power of his calves alone.

AP/Plazbot may need to clarify this one but I didnt think any of the cyco's that qualified do much different from the rest of the squad hours wise, in fact I'm sure the man himself will tell you he does less :lol: however he has a bit of base !!!

Good post,

I'll try and dig up the Hawaii qualification analysis over the weekend and post more info as I can type it up.

Plaz is right history does count. I coach a guy who did his first IM last july. He went 9.59 (48/5.33/3:30) and his average hours were 8.5hr PW. I'll post his graphs tonight. I should had he is a former 2 time olympic swimmer (88, 92).

I would love to get this guy averaging over 10hr PW, but a 70-80 hr work week will never let that happen.

fluro

Edited by fluro2au

Agree with Plaz that a snapshot is not really a good impression of the reality of what it takes. Our friend Matt Illingsworth is evidence of that at Busso.

In any data analysis there is always out lying points both up and down, but as Fluro's orginal post potentially showed, there may be some similar averages around the 800hr mark.

It is interesting to see the real version of 'What it Takes' from some of our fellow Trannies to give us context.

That is a lot of hours as well. Averaging over 21 a week for the entire year. Are you married or have kids? If so I would assume that was a pretty tough year.

edit - strange things happening

Edited by roo

neither married or have kids. understanding girlfriend. also lived at home all year, settlement of our house in 2 weeks time :lol:

plaz is right. this is my second year of full training. i only kept records for the last 4 months or 2007. would be more interesting to do the 12 months prior to qualification, but sportstracks cant do that easily and i dont have the data anyway. but i would estimate the 2007 numbers would be 80% of 2008

sure i dont have many commitments, but anyone who knows me knows i dont have a stitch of natural talent. the only reason i got where i got to was because of the numbers above. anyone can do it

anyway it was a very enjoyable year

Edited by roo

The swim and run volumes don't seem that extreme. That bike volume though! :lol:

Edited by prhino

The swim and run volumes don't seem that extreme. That bike volume though! :lol:

12k a week swimming average, all i could mentally take.

45k a week running average, dictated by injuries.

i love riding for sure, 63% of training time, which is in proportion to the length of ride time in a race. you can train and train and train on the bike and never get injured. you keep building the engine every minute you spend peddaling.

i did get hit by a car a couple of weeks ago though. law of averages i guess

Edited by roo

Guest scooter
sure i dont have many commitments, but anyone who knows me knows i dont have a stitch of natural talent. the only reason i got where i got to was because of the numbers above. anyone can do it

Ah said like a truely talented individual !!! :lol:

neither married or have kids. understanding girlfriend. also lived at home all year, settlement of our house in 2 weeks time :lol:

plaz is right. this is my second year of full training. i only kept records for the last 4 months or 2007. would be more interesting to do the 12 months prior to qualification, but sportstracks cant do that easily and i dont have the data anyway. but i would estimate the 2007 numbers would be 80% of 2008

anyway it was a very enjoyable year

I think you play yourself down to much Roo. Sure you train more and harder than anyone I've encountered but I still think you have a fair bit of natural talent.

I have David's training graphs, but how do I post a word document on here??

Can only suggest doing a print screen and saving as a picture in paint :lol:

Hi All,

Below is my typical training for ironman. I would like to do more but never have the time due to work/family etc.

Swim 12 - 15 km per week( 3 x 4 - 5km sets)

Bike 250 - 300 km per week (1 x 60km, 1 x 70km, 1 x 120 - 180km)

Run 40 - 60 km per week (3 x 10km, 1 x 20 - 30km)

Typically start training 20 weeks out with no rest weeks and then taper for last 3 weeks.

Started Tri's late 2001, did first IM (NZ) in 2003 and have finished 11 IM to date.

Cheers

JA

I don't know much about your natural talents but this statement above is what makes training so challenging. it is being able to consistently knock over those sorts of hours, not for a few months here or there, but over the course of 1-3 years and your going to see some impressive race results.

fluro

I did my first tri in 1992 and have been consistent doing the local series every year finishing off with the Rotto Half until it changed to Busso.. First thought of doing a ironman in 2000 but a Volvo v Bike put a end to that in 1999 - was out for a year and a bit and started again training in 2001 for Forster. Was blessed with a broken front bolt on my headstem 10km into the bike and found out the hard way what riding 170km with your hand steering your bike from the neck of the head stem. :lol: Funny enough no qualification that year!!!! 2002 went to Taupo to qualify for my first Hawaii call up.... Since then have qualified in 5 ironmans taking 3 trips to the big Island. :D

For the first couple of years in ironman i had a coach / program but found it hard to stick to unless you are training with someone doing the same program. It did teach me a few things that i still use today.

My basic tips are train with a swim squad - get open water practice ( In WA you learn to swim fast in the ocean :lol:)

Ride your normal rides during the week making sure you get 1 LSD ride in building up each week.

Running - some threshhold stuff with a few tempo runs and 1 LSD run building up again.

Swimming - 4 hours per week

Riding - 8 to 12 hours per week

Running - 3 - 5 hours per week

Regular massage and rest.

The other big tip is making sure your organised at work / home and that your head is in the right frame of mind - last year my head was not screwed on and i didn't enjoy the training or have motivation to train... But if you have the chance to go to the big island to race or holiday DO IT. It is one BIG CIRCUS... the atomsphere is electric and HOT.

What i do find amazing these days their are people doing an ironman before doing a olymic distance race :D

Bulldog

Can only suggest doing a print screen and saving as a picture in paint :lol:

I've done that. How do I now put it on here?

Gumby fluro

P.S I have just put the photos onto flicker. how do I now upload them?

Edited by fluro2au