trinube

OT saving lives

Today marks exactly 1 year since my father (Reg) passed away.

5 years today since Reg passed away - if anyone feels inclined to try giving blood, now's a great time. I'm banned from donating at the moment but Nealo and Skel are graciously donating to make up the shortfall. I intend making up for it as soon as I'm allowed.

• Like 1

I'm barred too till early next year.

Hopefully I'll get my iron back up and bleed away

I'll continue gaining an insight into the lives of professional cyclists and will aim to store a blood bag soon :lol:

The race that stopped most of the nation.

I try to give plasma every couple of weeks, but don't know when I'll have the 90min needed free until fairly close to the day. It usually takes 2 or 3 attempts till I can find a common timeslot with me & the bloodbank. Last Tuesday (cup day) I remembered about 10 min before the race. I rang up and asked whether they had a free slot that afternoon. The girl nearly jumped down the phone asking did I want 2:00, 2:10, 2:20, 2:30 etc. I walked straight there & where there are normally 30 donors either in or waiting, there were only 5 in the whole centre.

Is a horse race in another city really that important?

Nealo and Skel are graciously donating to make up the shortfall.

All done. Got nicely questioned to do Plasma.

Anyone done that? Any different, other than longer?

Ex-Hasbeen what's it like?

Edited by nealo

All done. Got nicely questioned to do Plasma.

Anyone done that? Any different, other than longer?

Ex-Hasbeen what's it like?

I find it a pleasant break from the grind at work. You get to sit back for 45min to an hour and relax, or even go to sleep like I often do. A lot of people balk when they hear the process. They take out your blood, run it through a centrifuge to extract the plasma, then pump the rest back with some saline & another chemical, to stop coagulation I think. They run through this about 4 times. It hurts no more than a simple blood donation, but you recover a lot quicker. As a first time tip, ask for milo if they give you the option. The chemical they add can make your teeth go tingly, and the calcium in the milk counteracts it.

Overall, no issues with it & I'm getting close to the 100 mark.

Posted by CEM but I think it will be valuable in this thread - Donating blood research results - plasma vs whole blood

Bumped into Nealo today at Miranda blood bank. Both doing our bit for society.

Still bingeing after Ironman and had eaten myself out of house and home so thought I'd go for a free feed! :lol:

Well done guys, will be donating next week now that Ironman is done and dusted. Plus my iron levels hopefully will be back to where they should be :shy:

Gave some plasma after ironman,first time for a long time too.Pretty hard to find a spare hour sometimes

After an enforced sabbatical of 2 years I went back this morning. Lots of additional paperwork but eventually got the ok.

My mum died a month ago and it wasn't lost on me that she was given 3 blood transfusions while she was in hospital. Our GM had heart surgery a few weeks back and also took a few units. A client needed a transfusion after a haemorrhage last week.

They need blood every day, if you've never donated, there's no time like now - they even had party pies this morning :).

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your Mum, trinube, but good to see you've taken at least 1 positive from it.

Blood stocks are at an unusual low at the moment due to the number of people having to pull out of regular donations because of illness. I went in for number 95 on Monday (100 here I come) and the nurse grabbed me for the interview before I'd even finished the paperwork. I was hooked up to the machine in less than 10minutes of walking through the door. If waiting time is a reason you find it difficult to donate, now is the time to donate. They need everyone they can get, now more than ever.

And an update on the Tranny group - NSW again smashing QLD...

trannies.png

Edited by trinube

Yes Ex, I was the only one in the room this morning - never seen it so empty.

Would love to but alas, I lived in the UK for a couple of years and therefore can't. (Have no idea what the Poms do for blood for their blood banks if they're so worried about Mad Cow?)

We are a lot less worried about Mad Cows now that Thatcher's dead.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

And an update on the Tranny group - NSW again smashing QLD...

I tried to join the Transitions group, but the website said it was an invalid donor number.

To be expected though. Change the rules to ensure a NSW win.

I tried to join the Transitions group, but the website said it was an invalid donor number.

To be expected though. Change the rules to ensure a NSW win.

:lol: After 8 years we'll try anything. Not sure why it didn't work, did you go here? You could probably ring and ask if you're keen, or maybe mention it next time you go. Sign up for NSW and I'll call for you :)

Became a regular donor of full blood every 3 months from age 18. After living in a malaria area was restricted to monthly plasma only. Cancer got me crossed off the donor's list for over a decade. Was only re-donating for 4-5 years before a chronic illness got me banned again. I check with them every 12 months or so, but still on the banned list.

Take the extra time and fit it in early on a rest day (no long training sessions on day of donation). We need as many donors as we can get.

:lol: After 8 years we'll try anything. Not sure why it didn't work, did you go here? You could probably ring and ask if you're keen, or maybe mention it next time you go. Sign up for NSW and I'll call for you :)

Yep, but it said "Invalid Donor Number". It came straight off the back of my Donor Card, so there's obviously an issue somewhere. I'll talk to them next time I'm at the "bank".

And here I was thinking ACT was punching above their weight ;)

It must be that unique combination of bleeding hearts and bloodsuckers :)

Just chowing down on some raisin toast and a hot choccy after hitting the lofty heights of 20 donations.

Personally I think 20 is pretty slack for me, but the girls said that of those that do give most only do it once.

If you are thinking of giving post cairns there is a "have you been in far north qld" question on the form at the moment, do might be worthwhile clarifying what that is about.

Every now & then there are Dengue & Ross River Fever issues in Nth Qld. They have to stop taking donations up there & ask people whether they've been there. I think it's clear at the moment.

These restrictions don't effect Plasma donations though if anybody is still keen.

Nah but they did come in and give an old lady who was retiring from donating at 80 years old and 140+ donations a cake and a round of applause.

• Like 1

If you are thinking of giving post cairns there is a "have you been in far north qld" question on the form at the moment, do might be worthwhile clarifying what that is about.

I just dropped in for my fortnightly chat with the lovely nurses at the bloodbank on Friday, and while I was there I asked them about the NQ issue. As of about 3 weeks ago they dropped the restriction on Cairns, and now there is only a restriction on donations of whole blood from people who have stayed in the Townsville/Cherters Towers area.

All you IM from Cairns have no reason not to be dropping in to do your bit.

OK. Not much time to go, and I should have posted this earlier in the week. But this is National Blood Donor week. Anybody that has the time tomorrow or Saturday should drop into their nearest Blood Bank and make a deposit.

Be there, or be square. :)

• Like 1

Good stuff Ex, thanks for the timely bump.

I'll be bumping again this time next week when I go in for the big 100.

• Like 3

Well, that was a hell of a celebration for number 100. I don't know if I want to do it like that again.

Everything went well, and the donation went slightly quicker than normal. Didn't even feel the needle go in it was that good. I got my 100 badge, and the girls blew up some "100" balloons to put around the chair to make sure I was suitably embarrassed. As usual, the nurse said as I left, make sure you don't lift anything heavy for the next hour or so.

Well, I put my jacket back on, and went to the loo, as one does after drinking a lot on a cold morning to get my hydration up for the donation, and that must have been were I lifted something heavy :)

As I was sitting back in the kitchen to tuck into a sausage roll or 3, one of the nurses came over and grabbed me. I was dripping blood on to the floor. The hole must have opened back up, and the blood had soaked my entire shirt sleeve from the elbow down, and also my suit jacket. She estimated I'd probably lost another half a pint.

After that many donations though, that's the first time anything like that has happened, so I suppose I have another few years till I get another "bad one".

Probably not the best advert for donating, but:

DONATE before the season starts again and you can use races as an excuse not to.

• Like 1

I've got haemochromatosis, a genetic condition that leads to high iron in the blood.the treatment is basically donating blood. I try to periodise it with races and the season. The only problem is most countries have limits where you can only donate every 3 months, which is pretty annoying. So in winter When I'm not training or racing and want to donate a lot, I can only give once to Japanese blood bank, then the rest goes down the drain at the haemotologists, as I'm stuck in Japan and it's a good time to get my Fe levels down to non ironman levels. Such a shame as I am packing high octane sheet I tells yer.

I donate each time after a big race, unless I have another goal race within 6 weeks. I drive to Bunbury after the Busso IM each year and learnt all the 'right' things to say so they will take it.they can smell something fishy that someone would drive an hour to donate the day after an IM but it goes through (not the sharpest tools in there). If I time it right I can donate 3 times in three different countries in 3 weeks at the end of season.

Well, that was a hell of a celebration for number 100. I don't know if I want to do it like that again.

Good stuff on the 100 donations - that's pretty cool.

If I time it right I can donate 3 times in three different countries in 3 weeks at the end of season.

:) Love your work you psycho!

Another donation this morning - even got a little badge to commemorate the occasion :) School holidays and they said it's been very quiet, get into it if you can.

Another donation this morning - even got a little badge to commemorate the occasion :) School holidays and they said it's been very quiet, get into it if you can.

Which badge trinube?

Strangely enough, I couldn't get in as early this week as I normally do. Friday was the only day before 9am, and even then I could only get in at 8am. I normally like to get in at 7 to give me a bit more time to recover before riding home in the afternoon.

• Like 1

I am due but have been crook so have been putting it off.

Pretty right now so will put it on the agenda.

• Like 1

Which badge trinube?

Only 10 but if you read the first post of this thread it's pretty amazing I even got to 1 :) Plus I had an enforced break of two years after a pulmonary embolism… Next donation will be the week before XMAS. Works out well as the old man used to often donate on Xmas eve.

Edited by trinube
  • Like 1

I'm wondering how many out there donate once every 3 months, but would donate more if you could? Once you've made a few donations, talk to the nurses about plasma or platelet donations. You can donate every fortnight (I've donated 16 times so far this year) and the effects on any training you want to do are a lot less. I've never had an issue riding home or even running at lunch time.

It takes a little longer (about 1 hour in to out), and can only be done at major Blood Banks, but is very worthwhile, and provides valuable products for Red Cross. It also gives you a good chance to lay down for an hour & talk to the nurses every fortnight.

It's not for everyone, but if you can, it's well worthwhile. :)

I donate as often as they let me - been doing it since I was 17 (I think) in every country I've lived. (a couple of breaks after getting tattoos, or being on specific medication). Up here they can't do plasma, but I keep asking in case they upgrade the facility here. I'm also on the bone marrow register, but as yet no calls.

I'm O- though, so they love my blood at least.

Funny story. I donated a couple of weeks before my 100km run. After a few minutes reclining/relaxing, my blood pressure (and HR) was so low I had to start moving my legs like on a bike to get it to keep filling. :shy:

Only 10 but if you read the first post of this thread it's pretty amazing I even got to 1 :) Plus I had an enforced break of two years after a pulmonary embolism… Next donation will be the week before XMAS. Works out well as the old man used to often donate on Xmas eve.

Aiming for Xmas Eve here as well

• Like 1

Impressive milestone Ex-Hasbeen!

I finally got around to booking in again. Luckily I read the self-assessment checklist prior to heading off to the mobile blood bank, as one of the items listed was recent surgery. Found out after phoning their call centre that I have to wait 6 months after my collarbone surgery before being allowed to donate again...

Hey Ex apart from the little bit of extra time is their any difference? Same size needle etc?

A few differences. It's the same "great big huge hollow needle", but the procedure is markedly different. Instead of 7 minutes filling a bag that sits on a little rocking machine, you are hooked up to a contraption the size of mid size office printer. You go through 4 to 6 cycles of blood being drawn out, spun in a centrifuge to extract the plasma, then put back in with the addition of some saline solution. You have to squeeze the rubber thing they give you during the draw to keep the blood flowing, but you can get a quick power nap each return cycle.

I can honestly say the needle hurts no more than a mozzie bite the last few times I've gone, and the process is real easy. It's so painless, I keep getting in trouble for not waking for the draw cycle after my quick naps. :)

Ask them about it next time you go.