trinube

OT saving lives

Pete, what is the go with plasma donations? To be honest the idea of it makes me cringe a bit (compared to "normal" donations) - how does it all work?

Because of my blood type they always ask me to do plasma. In an effort to win me over they assured me the needle is the same size :lol: I'm going to give it a go next time.

.... and they have a waiter service. :lol:

While you are in the chair they bring you milkshakes and stuff!

As always worth a bump!

Donated yesterday and am going to start doing plasma hopefully next month.

Plasma's a ball. Been doing that or Platelets for 6 or 7 years. It's a big wind-down from work & I get to lay down for 50min & either read or nod off to sleep. The staff at Edward St in Brisbane are great. And you can get Milo while you're donating, and chuppa chups.

I seriously recommend donating Plasma to anybody that meets the criteria.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

I've had a bit of an unfortunate history with donating blood since I moved to Newcastle & started doing triathlon especially in recent year with Ironman. I was a frequent donor up until one day my heart rate was apparently " too low" for the nurse to continue (she said this was protocol).

I told her I was training for an Ironman which would probably explain the low resting HR. She phoned the Doctor on call & explained the situation (by this stage 60 mins had passed...); the Doctor said no I couldn't donate, HR too low. I tried two more subsequent visits during which all three times I got so far as the donor recliner before the nurses do a cursory pulse check.. Then it's been all over red rover.

I've been really disappointed by this as not only has it (essentially wasted) up to 90 minutes of both mine & their time on each occasion, but i also feel guilty that I can't contribute.

The Red Cross continue to phone me regularly to ask me to come in & donate even though I've asked to be put on a 'do not call' list due to the aforementioned circumstances.

I'm sure there must be other trannies with a RHR lower than the protocol standard & have been met with a similar fate or are they just sticklers for the rules around here?

Good on ya' to all successful blood donors though !!

I've had a bit of an unfortunate history with donating blood since I moved to Newcastle & started doing triathlon especially in recent year with Ironman. I was a frequent donor up until one day my heart rate was apparently " too low" for the nurse to continue (she said this was protocol).

I told her I was training for an Ironman which would probably explain the low resting HR.

Clearly you need to run to the donor centre :)

Yeah, just drop and do 30 push-ups before you sit down.

I did suggest maybe I could just pop out & do some star jumps (serious suggestion); nurse seemed to think I was kidding....

What's too low? They've taken mine RHR at 42 and when questioned I just laughed and said " fat and fit, who'd have thought?". And than went and gave blood.

What's too low? They've taken mine RHR at 42 and when questioned I just laughed and said " fat and fit, who'd have thought?". And than went and gave blood.

I think anything below 40 is no go

I think anything below 40 is no go

Yes Powdo that's correct, it has been 38 the times I've been knocked back. I believe the lower limit is 40 BPM. I wonder if they have an 'upper limit'? I'm no elite athlete by any stretch, have just always had low HRs & low BP.

Given that I am only 27 it is REALLY hard work for me to get my HR above 160 on an indoor ergo, ie. I'm almost going lactic at what should be a 'moderate' HR for someone my age. Just a natural variation I guess?

I've been pulled up with low HR as well, but for the first few times they simply spoke to the doctor, explained that I do a lot of training, and he gave the OK. It's now on my file & they expect it to be down there, so put me straight through. If you are having issues, just do a little exercise on your way to the blood bank. It's not too hard to get a pulse up over 40 for a few minutes.

I swore I'd never do a plasma donation as the thought of something going out of my body - processed, mixed with chemicals and returned to my body is so irksome it really freaks me out!!

So today they find out I've been to Thailand recently so the red blood cells in the whole blood will not be used - only a poofteenth for plasma so if I wanted to do something valuable I really needed to do a plasma donation....;)

I was totally sh1tting bricks as I signed the consent form and, with the enthusiasm of a dental patient on his way to recevie root canal treatment, I ambled off to the centrifuge and cast my fate to the Gods.

As it happens, it was actually not all that bad - probably similar to a full blood donation but just taking a bit longer. :)

And you know, there's something really cool about doing something that you are scared of, I think..... :lol:

• Like 1

Had my first fail in April. Haemoglobin initially showed too low (had dropped by over 20 points since most recent donation, and then came in under the 120 lower limit as well). Test from vein in arm (rather than finger) got me over the line. Then couldn't get the flow rate to stay above alarm level for more than 30 seconds so one bag only rather than usual two. :( Will see how I go come July.

While i was under general anaesthetic on Monday, my HR went down to 45 which apparently caused a bit of concern the nurse told me in recovery. But my orthapedic surgeon knew i did tris so told them it was ok.

That was my 8th general :(, had my first at 10 (appendix). They seem to be using some new stuff now that hurts like buggery as it goes into the back of your hand....but that pain only lasts about 5 secs then it's lights out.

When i had a 24hr monitor on, it got down to 37 in my sleep.

We can't give blood as we were in the UK during the mad cow scare....though Mrs T gave a bit before they stopped her.

I swore I'd never do a plasma donation as the thought of something going out of my body - processed, mixed with chemicals and returned to my body is so irksome it really freaks me out!!

And you know, there's something really cool about doing something that you are scared of, I think..... :lol:

well done Pete, I'm seriously considering this for next time. Unfortunately I've just been put on Warfarin so that may rule me out for a while (not sure, need to check up), but I'll definitely get to it one day.

My 18 year old daughter has just become a blood donor. She said it made her feel really good to be doing something positive like that. I wish it were easier for us out here but it isn't to be.

well done Pete, I'm seriously considering this for next time. Unfortunately I've just been put on Warfarin so that may rule me out for a while (not sure, need to check up), but I'll definitely get to it one day

Not so good I'm afraid. :( Got a big dose of irregular heartbeat afterwards - something that does happen from time to time but this one caused me to bail on a 10k run the next day (Friday) as it was getting a bit out of control. Calmed down by today and I managed a big effort on our 21.1k training run with no probs.

You are supposed to declare if you get irregular heart beat so it might be back to good old whole blood donations for me - which I can go back to in July anyway.

Maybe wouldn't mind doing one more plasma to see if it was a one-off or whether it was an ongoing thing.

Not so good I'm afraid. :( Got a big dose of irregular heartbeat afterwards - something that does happen from time to time but this one caused me to bail on a 10k run the next day (Friday) as it was getting a bit out of control. Calmed down by today and I managed a big effort on our 21.1k training run with no probs.

You are supposed to declare if you get irregular heart beat so it might be back to good old whole blood donations for me - which I can go back to in July anyway.

Maybe wouldn't mind doing one more plasma to see if it was a one-off or whether it was an ongoing thing.

Been to the doctor lately...might be good idea!Could be nothing..but you never know

Been to the doctor lately...might be good idea!Could be nothing..but you never know

Irregular heartbeats are a funny thing - they seem to be more of an electrical problem from your brain than an actual plumbing or heart disease one. And, given my never-even-been-close-to-elite triathlon performance it certainly isn't relateted to tachycardia a la emma carney say. It is more related to things like how much stress you are under or how much coffee you have drunk. It also seems to get more of a problem the older you get. i did see a doctor once during a particularly bad stretch he did not see to know much about what he was doing and put me on a beta blocker which, I thought, was like "game over" for intense or endurance sports. (I didn't take it and it went away, anyway)

I suppose if I could get to see someone who actually knew anything about it and could relate it to a sports context I would love to see them!

Gave plasma today for the first time.

Easy job, took about an hour all up. Was a bit freaky watching the blood go out then come back in, but all good and no dramas. None of the side effects of red blood donations either, managed a hard trainer set this arvo and all good.

On a side note it becomes a bit more "real" when they tell you that my plasma is a "clinical donation" due to my blood type and will be whisked away in a taxi to the blood bank HQ for processing and will be used in a hospital this afternoon.

Gave plasma today for the first time.

Easy job, took about an hour all up. Was a bit freaky watching the blood go out then come back in, but all good and no dramas. None of the side effects of red blood donations either, managed a hard trainer set this arvo and all good.

On a side note it becomes a bit more "real" when they tell you that my plasma is a "clinical donation" due to my blood type and will be whisked away in a taxi to the blood bank HQ for processing and will be used in a hospital this afternoon.

Well done Roxii, pretty cool that you know it's getting used today - it'll still be warm :) I'm out for at least 6 months because of some new, unexpected meds - hopefully it will only be 6 months and not life...

Wasn't that hard! :lol:

After "delaying" my last scheduled donation due to training for IM Cairns, this thread reminded me to get back into it.

Booked in for tomorrow morning and they even managed to upsell me for my first plasma donation.

Good work starting this thread trinube and for overcoming your fears to donate in the first place.

well that didn't work out too well for me......

have had mild reactions a couple of times previously when giving whole blood (fine for the last few times) but nearly passed out during the return process of the plasma donation this morning and it sounds like they may not let me donate again!

took over half an hour for my blood pressure to get back to normal

too soon after IM Cairns or too soft?

Wow, which part of the return, the mid donation type return or when the saline goes in at the end.

Apart from the cuff deflating I didnt even notice the returne and only knew the saline was going in by the cold sensation.

Mine took a while too, they couldn't get the reds back in.

Nurse was mumbling something about blood from a stone, but I didn't think they had seen me swim though??

Banned from giving again for four weeks (sin bin I suppose) but I'll be be back just like Copper Cronk

No dramas giving Plasma normally, sit back, read a paper or mag, have a milkshake ........all good really.

Wow, which part of the return, the mid donation type return or when the saline goes in at the end.

Apart from the cuff deflating I didnt even notice the returne and only knew the saline was going in by the cold sensation.

Not sure if I fully understand the whole process but:

1. blood went out - all good

2. cells returned - felt a bit weird

3. blood went out - feeling better again

4. cells returned - felt a bit weird again but not too bad

5. blood went out - ok again

6. cells returned - room spinning, nurse rushes over as all colour drains from my face

Was always a bit queasy with blood as a kid and have felt faint before with whole blood donations but I thought I just wasn't hydrated enough those times as I have been more conscious of this the last few times and been fine.

I don't think I can go back to whole blood donations as they were only using my plasma anyway (picked up an African parasyte a few years ago) and apparently their policies have changed recently so they won't take whole blood if they can only use the plasma.

DNF and possibly banned for life!

Was supposed to be donating today.

Headache + sore throat + a nose doing its best impression of a tap.

Not donating today, next bus in a month :(

Gave blood today.

Just sayin'

My son came with me and got more food and drinks than I did!!

Edited by nealo

Gave blood today.

Just sayin'

My son came with me and got more food and drinks than I did!!

Well done Nealo (and Zac) There's been a lot of media lately that they're very low on stocks - 1.5 days in some areas due to holidays and colds etc - a good time to go if you can.

Im going to try and book in for plasma again this week, still not due for the red stuff for a while but will do my bit!

I've just revisited this thread (can't believe it was that old!). Reading through, it's sad to see blood levels are so low and yet Oz still insists on implementing a quite frankly stupid rule about folks that have been in the UK during a certain period. Look how many people on this site cannot donate because of it and extrapolate that to the wider Oz community and imagine the impact that is having.

Overall total donations since Trinube started our group. A couple of states quite lacking there.

5 Australian Capital Territory

13 New South Wales

0 Northern Territory

1 Queensland

1 South Australia

0 Tasmania

4 Victoria

0 Western Australia

How do you get your donation to count towards the tally?

http://www.donateblood.com.au/who-can-give/club-red/join-group and select Transitions (triathletes) as your group. After that any donation gets automatically allocated. Must say I'm having trouble getting on right now but I've found their site can be a bit hit and miss like that.

Sorry I didn't sign up so should be two more for Qld

Simple edit to get this to top again!

Edited by rod2day86

Donated last week, got my 25th donation badge :-)

Hmm...

just gave my 26th donation, still no badge :(

Good news - the Garran donor centre (next to Canberra Hospital) now has sausage rolls :D

Like doing an IM and not getting a towel :) Well done anyway, good news re the sausage rolls.

Like doing an IM and not getting a towel :) Well done anyway, good news re the sausage rolls.

Towel would be more useful, but no towel or badge, well, these are not the reason to give blood, are they :D

I had to cancel Plasma last week, due to family stuff, but am due to give whole blood this thursday. So Ill bump it again then.

Thank you.

Get on to it Chris! The vics need a good team to smash those showponies from the shire....! (Me? Competitive..?! :lol:)

Well had anothet whole blood donation done yesterday, so I dare say Track racing tonight may be a bit ordinary.

Also got my platelets checked to see if Im a possible for platelet donations and apparently Im good to go.

So in 4 weeks I can start doing platelets as well as plasma. I will let you know how that all goes.

Well had anothet whole blood donation done yesterday, so I dare say Track racing tonight may be a bit ordinary.

You looked at least .5 kg lighter ;)

Got a letter from the blood bank today, seems they tested my blood and I am iron deficient and am off the list for 6 months.

Suppose that explains why I have been feeling crap lately.

Got a letter from the blood bank today, seems they tested my blood and I am iron deficient and am off the list for 6 months.

Suppose that explains why I have been feeling crap lately.

It is kinda cool that you get a blood screening every few months. Hungry Jacks double whopper should sort it.