trinube

OT saving lives

BE A BLOODY LEGEND

It's National Blood Donor week this week.

If you're a regular donor, good on you.

If you used to be a regular donor, but haven't for a while. get back in there.

If you haven't donated before, try it. It's worth it.

If you can't donate for whatever reason, get a mate to donate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Used to have a fear of needles, was thinking today while booking in for my annual hayfever shot that I handle them alot better now (guess 3 visits to the hospital with kidney stones and being made a pin cushion in the process each time does that).  Guess I don't have a reason to avoid not helping out any longer, booked in for number 1 when the mobile centre is in town end of the month.  I might even find out what type of blood I have, 43 years old and apparently the best guess is "One of the O's"

Only question now is will I be fine to do parkrun the next day?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Used to have a fear of needles, was thinking today while booking in for my annual hayfever shot that I handle them alot better now (guess 3 visits to the hospital with kidney stones and being made a pin cushion in the process each time does that).  Guess I don't have a reason to avoid not helping out any longer, booked in for number 1 when the mobile centre is in town end of the month.  I might even find out what type of blood I have, 43 years old and apparently the best guess is "One of the O's"

I find 'exercising' is easy but 'training' or 'workouts' can be a bit below par for a couple of days...

7 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Yep you will be OK, but probably wont be at 100%. 

Best thing to do is do a few donations then get onto the plasma or platelets donations. 

They take a bit longer but dont knock you about as much as they return the red cells to you. 

Oh and good on you for getting on board. 

48 minutes ago, roxii said:

Yep you will be OK, but probably wont be at 100%. 

Best thing to do is do a few donations then get onto the plasma or platelets donations. 

They take a bit longer but dont knock you about as much as they return the red cells to you. 

Oh and good on you for getting on board. 

This.

I did a Plasma donation at 7am, then set a PB for the 1600m loop in the dam about 9 hours later, then a crown fitted to my front tooth an hour later. No ill effects from the Plasma donation. The only thing that really hurt was the tooth. :)

On 10/09/2018 at 3:30 PM, roxii said:

Reached a milestone today 

F4277548-6699-4BD9-B86B-6AEBFAE9A4D2.jpeg

I hit 25  aussie donations  not long ago. They didnt even pick it, let along give me a badge! 

So awesome

46 minutes ago, Turts said:

I hit 25  aussie donations  not long ago. They didnt even pick it, let along give me a badge! 

So awesome

They sometimes miss it. It will be on their computer whether you got the badge or not. I got my 125 & 150 badges at the same time when I did my 150th & they saw I hadn't received the former.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

They sometimes miss it. It will be on their computer whether you got the badge or not. I got my 125 & 150 badges at the same time when I did my 150th & they saw I hadn't received the former.

Not that it's about the medal.........

55 minutes ago, Turts said:

Not that it's about the medal.........

Agreed. I threw out my old work bag & found three unopened in one of the pockets. Once you get up a few though, it's all about the free dinners at Government House, or the Convention Centre. But then I passed up on those as well. I'll wait till I get to a round number (it's that damn OCD again) and go along then. :)

I was thinking when I put the above, "Why do I donate, and why do others donate?"

I think for me, part of it is to provide something for those that need it. It's something I can do that costs me nothing and can save the lives of others. Win Win.

Then when I thought about that, I thought, "Is that selfish?" I think in a way it is. I don't really give anything that costs me , but I get that satisfying feeling of giving something. I know for some people they give because it's personal. They know someone that has needed it in the past, so they feel a personal connection to it. For me though, I can't think of anybody I know that has had blood transfusions.

What are other people's thoughts on that, and why do you donate?

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

I donate because it’s helps others and it doesn’t really take any effort from me. 

It’s helping but lazy at the same time. And I do get a good feeling when I get the message saying I’ve helped someone 

30 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Agreed. I threw out my old work bag & found three unopened in one of the pockets. Once you get up a few though, it's all about the free dinners at Government House, or the Convention Centre. But then I passed up on those as well. I'll wait till I get to a round number (it's that damn OCD again) and go along then. :)

Meh. I've had tea at Govt House with the GG. It was part pies. Same as after a donation! 

29 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I was thinking when I put the above, "Why do I donate, and why do others donate?" I know for some people they give because it's personal. They know someone that has needed it in the past, so they feel a personal connection to it. What are other people's thoughts on that, and why do you donate?

Refer to the first post of this thread :)

I do it to help other people. 

It helps them, and it makes me feel good to have helped.

Theres no such thing as that bullshit they call random acts of kindness. It always helps the helper

3 minutes ago, Turts said:

Meh. I've had tea at Govt House with the GG. It was part pies. Same as after a donation! 

Same here. And I had 2 black eyes at the time, one totally closed. :)

Just because it costs you nothing and makes you feel good certainly doesn’t make it a selfish act. If that were the case all good deeds would be selfish when in fact they are the exact opposite. 

The amount of eligible people who don’t donate, don’t even contemplate it is shocking and that alone is enough to prove that donating is a special act. 

I don’t  feel guilty when I donate, I feel guilty when I don’t.

4 minutes ago, roxii said:

Just because it costs you nothing and makes you feel good certainly doesn’t make it a selfish act. If that were the case all good deeds would be selfish when in fact they are the exact opposite. 

The amount of eligible people who don’t donate, don’t even contemplate it is shocking and that alone is enough to prove that donating is a special act. 

I don’t  feel guilty when I donate, I feel guilty when I don’t.

Exactly. 

Theres a difference between doing something for others BECAUSE it feels good, or doing something for others and it happens to make u feel good too. 

Thanks guys. I feel better now (is that good).

My Friday donations are just part of my regular routine now, even my staff and boss know it & organise meetings around it. My goal these days is to bring new people into the centre to help that way.

34 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Thanks guys. I feel better now (is that good).

My Friday donations are just part of my regular routine now, even my staff and boss know it & organise meetings around it. My goal these days is to bring new people into the centre to help that way.

I can only do the 3 monthly whole blood. First they dont do plasma up here. 

Second, being O neg, they prefer my blood anyway. 

So takes a while to accumulate the numbers. Reckon I did around 30 overseas too.  

I never remember to take a photo while I'm there.

Another Plasma this morning. Only issue is I was stupid when I got back to work and struggled to lift a heavy box in an awkward position. Popped the hole & didn't notice it at the time. I did what I could, but had to run 2 x job interviews with a wet & blood stained white business shirt. The better half will probably kill me when I get home too. :oops:

12 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I never remember to take a photo while I'm there.

Another Plasma this morning. Only issue is I was stupid when I got back to work and struggled to lift a heavy box in an awkward position. Popped the hole & didn't notice it at the time. I did what I could, but had to run 2 x job interviews with a wet & blood stained white business shirt. The better half will probably kill me when I get home too. :oops:

what time were you there? I finished about 8 so might have been in there with you..

I just popped mine too so am in a meeting looking like a junkie..

Edited by pieman

33 minutes ago, pieman said:

what time were you there? I finished about 8 so might have been in there with you..

I just popped mine too so am in a meeting looking like a junkie..

Normally you would have been, but I had an 8:15 this morning.

Do you go every fortnight? I'm normally a 7:30 starter.