trinube

OT saving lives

How long do people normally feel the effects after giving blood? I made a donation last Tuesday then had a pretty easy week but on Saturday I had nothing during a race

6 minutes ago, Limited said:

How long do people normally feel the effects after giving blood? I made a donation last Tuesday then had a pretty easy week but on Saturday I had nothing during a race

I give plasma now, and basically have no after-effects. I did a 1km season's best swim once, 10 hours after the donation.

It takes up to 6 weeks for the body to fully replace the blood from a whole blood donation. I think however you would not notice a normal blood donation much after 3 or 4 days, except doing something like an endurance race where you want to dig deep. I wouldn't donate whole blood for 2 weeks before a race, and 6 weeks before an A-race.

• Like 1

Yeah I wouldn’t normally donate so close to a race but it was just an Olympic that I hadn’t really trained for and I’ve missed my last couple of donations due to races or sickness. As it was I got a flu a couple of days after so I called them and think they threw it out anyway

Whole blood for the Blues today - we'll eventually beat those stinking Queenslanders,

20 minutes ago, trinube said:

Whole blood for the Blues today - we'll eventually beat those stinking Queenslanders,

Do you think they may need it?

Another one today, was booked in for platelets but in a peasant twist they already had their quota so I did plasma instead. 

This is becoming s good habit. 

• Like 1

I do blood regularly. 

No platelets here, but they'd prefer my blood anyway being O neg.

But.....

What does the "OT" in the thread title mean?  I'm finally asking........

3 minutes ago, Turts said:

What does the "OT" in the thread title mean?  I'm finally asking

Ordinary Trannies?

"Off Topic", as in it's not really a trichat topic as such, but feel it's important enough to include it there.

25 minutes ago, goughy said:

"Off Topic", as in it's not really a trichat topic as such, but feel it's important enough to include it there.

Makes sense. 

27 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Ordinary Trannies?

No such thing.

We're all extraordinary!

4 hours ago, roxii said:

This is becoming s good habit. 

I don't post much here any more but when this thread gets bumped I'll occasionally read the entire thing from start to finish. My original post still raises a tear when I think of the old man and how much I missed really knowing him in adult life with his long illness and death.

I'm just immensely proud of everyone here who donates and particularly those who started (or resumed) after reading about Dad. What you guys do - especially you legends who have dozens if not hundreds of donations - is incredibly generous and reading Slunnie and Shuffla's posts really brings home the point of just how special you all are.

Every one of you has my heartfelt thanks. Please keep it up. 💪

Edited by trinube

The other thing to note is that if you are worried about blood donations affecting your performance you can do plasma or platelets and you don’t lose red blood cells.

no more excuses.