Sign in to follow this  
Netti

Labrum Tear

Anyone had a labrum tear?

Just got mri back - 1.5cm tear of anterosuperior acetabular labrum.

Wondering if anyone had had something similar and what the treatment was.

Seems to be varied between rest and arthroscope.

Curiosity got the better of me :lol:

I didn't know what it was so on with the nerdy glasses and put some pencils in my top pocket and googled away.

Found this which looks pretty similar similar and may be of use.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/37/1/84

disclaimer: I have no idea but was curious as to what the injury was.

Conservative measure first is to rehab it properly. If that fails, then you need to get in to see a surgeon for an opinion. Not sure how it works anywhere else, but here in the ACT you need a GP referral to see a surgeon.

cam.

PS. The rehab work won't FIX the labral tear. It will just strengthen everything around the shoulder to help the function of the joint. At some stage you will need surgery on that shoulder.

Also curious - but I misread the topic - thgought it was "Labia Tear"...

My thoughts exactly :D I thought labrum was more than one

How awful :lol: I can visualise it :lol: that could cause "molto deloro"

Edited by AP

Conservative measure first is to rehab it properly. If that fails, then you need to get in to see a surgeon for an opinion. Not sure how it works anywhere else, but here in the ACT you need a GP referral to see a surgeon.

cam.

PS. The rehab work won't FIX the labral tear. It will just strengthen everything around the shoulder to help the function of the joint. At some stage you will need surgery on that shoulder.

he said acetabular not glenohumeral, means its a hip labral tear

u should be able to see a physio or sports med dr then get a refferal to a orthopedic surgeon for a review

forgot to add, get it sorted quick as once the negative pressure is gone in the hip u lose some of your congruence and stability and can wear it out a lot lot quicker.

Most likely you'll end up either having to retire from using it, or go the scope... why not go sooner rather than later? And with how scopes go these days the off time is getting shorter and shorter..... just make sure you ask lots of questions about what they're going to do exactly

u should be able to see a physio or sports med dr then get a refferal to a orthopedic surgeon for a review

Good pickup and poor form by me! End of a long day and thank christ I have tomorrow off!

cam.

Ruley, do you know a lot (i mean a lot) about this stuff?

Anyone had a labrum tear?

Just got mri back - 1.5cm tear of anterosuperior acetabular labrum.

Wondering if anyone had had something similar and what the treatment was.

Seems to be varied between rest and arthroscope.

Get it arthroscoped unless you have no symptoms.

I'm assuming you want to keep competing in triathlons/running etc.

You will be more likely to have problems now when you are 60 (rather than 80) but that is the way it goes! It will likely only get worse if you don't get it cleaned up.

Doing some strength work of particular muscles (abductors, deep external rotators etc) around your hip may improve the symptoms in the short term and will also be beneficial for your running and control after the arthroscope.

Let me know if you are in Melbourne, can recommend some good surgeons/sports docs if needed.

(disclaimer: I am a physio...)

Except you should have written 'She'

Ruley, do you know a lot (i mean a lot) about this stuff?

nope, just fairly brief stuff. Dont have my books handy at the moment either sorry

anything specific you wanted to know?

Ruley, being that i am at the crossroads of where to next - this is the report after my second MRI (arthrogram) (CT included between the 2)

"focal changes suggesting femeroacetabular impingment with a little focal bone marrow oedema pattern in the anterolateral subcaptial region. with this in mind, the subtle changes on the base of the superolateral labrum must be considered very suspicious for a small laberal tear."

symptoms: on going pain in hip at same point; vmo flares up like one large 'knot' after training session; can happen after cycling or running. have not run in 5 months; have done 3 rides in 5 months. 1 x windtrainer 45min = muscle pain; 1 x 30 km = hip pain; 1 x 60km = no pain.

current treatment plan: first 3 months all physio to restrengthen pelvic floor; last 2 months back and forth with ideas from labrum tear to compartmental (sp) syndrom of the thigh.

current diagnosis: none. seeing great physio group in brizzy; seeing sports doc. have seen hip surgeon and he wants nothing to do with me (both good and bad)

tomorrow- finally i have a chance to get my bikes checked out. 60k bikr ride with no pain was actually on TT bike. the other 2 were on old road bike which has been fiddled around with a fair bit.

future - if bike set up is not the key - cortisone to reduce inflammation.

what have we missed? radical hippy stuff?

Try the guided cortisone injection into your hip.

Hip arthroscopy is not as easy as knees, there are few surgeons who are good at it and the results long term aren't well known and good surgeons will put it off as long as possible (like yours seems to have done) until everything else has been tried.

Hey so what ended up happening. Almost identical to my hip mri

image.jpg

Edited by Maz
Added image