nrmoz

Blackmore's Running Festival 2008 and 2018

Sydney is a week away from the old blue line marathon.. who's in this year??

I'm start venue manager again so I guess I'll see you all fresh and ready to rock and roll!

I"ll be the least like to look like a runner guy wearing around three radios!

Sydney is a week away from the old blue line marathon.. who's in this year??

I'm start venue manager again so I guess I'll see you all fresh and ready to rock and roll!

I"ll be the least like to look like a runner guy wearing around three radios!

I guess Wayne must be short of officials :lol::lol:

For those interested in taking a fast forward camera view of the marathon course check it out at www.byourbest.com*

I'm in for the 8km jog this year, late start and breakfast afterwards.

*yes I have a business relationship with Blackmores and was involved in the development of the website

Edited by Rog

Bump.

For anyone feeling like having a run

online entries still open up until 5pm Friday.

I'm in for the marathon which is going to be slow & painful I think.

Not running this year. :D I'll be cheering every one home at the Opera house :lol:

However Pooch will be doing the 1/2. Watch for the tranny caps.

Lap Dog :lol::D:D

Good luck to y'all I am a non starter this year - my Bro decided to get married that day - oh well I'll just get pissed instead!!! :lol::lol:

TIM

MAtty Harris is the big voice this year - he's doing the start for the first time so give him some stick - he'll feed back in spades - I'm thinking we're in with a lively start for all events! Glenn McGrath is the celeb of the day too...(Much preferred Megan Gale myself...)

(I'm sticking to the venue management - some one has to get you away on time!!)

Having a hit out at the last min. Good timing before GC HIM. Don't think I will be running anything like the 70min odd I ran last year. 75-78 would be a push. This IM training really kills speed.

Looks like I'm a non starter now.

I don't know why or what from but yesterday afternoon and early evening I have been violently sick (throwing up never hurt so much).

Some food poisoning or something, I couldn't even drink any water. I lost so much fluid it wasn't funny.

Managed to drink about 300ml of water over night at least.

A sensible thing would be to not even attempt a race start.

So have a good run guys, I doubt I'll be there.

Bump.

For anyone feeling like having a run

online entries still open up until 5pm Friday.

I'm in for the marathon which is going to be slow & painful I think.

I am in for the Marathon, actually I am one of the 4:15 pacers.

This will hurt after doing Glasshouse 100 miler last weekend and still have some blisters.

Looks like I'm a non starter now.

I don't know why or what from but yesterday afternoon and early evening I have been violently sick (throwing up never hurt so much).

Some food poisoning or something, I couldn't even drink any water. I lost so much fluid it wasn't funny.

Managed to drink about 300ml of water over night at least.

A sensible thing would be to not even attempt a race start.

So have a good run guys, I doubt I'll be there.

Sorry to hear that Trevor, get better quick mate.

Brick

:lol:

Just got back from an easy 8k and am set to go! Looks like it's going to be a nice day.

Good luck to all.

*Edit - get well bourne.

Edited by nealo

I am in for the Half. Will wear my Tranny hat.

Sorry to hear about your illness Trev. Hope you can make a miracolous recovery. A marathon will double your mileage this year.

See ya at 5:45am on sunday Nick. I will start warming up just after then. Weather is looking great for this event on sunday, i can't wait. I have the double shot of express GU gel waiting for this!

6:20 start, oh what joy but may as well get it over and done with, hoping to post a pb for half mara, sub 79 would be sweet and is the goal.

Have a great run all, should be a top day.

I am in for the Marathon, actually I am one of the 4:15 pacers.

This will hurt after doing Glasshouse 100 miler last weekend and still have some blisters.

Sorry to hear that Trevor, get better quick mate.

Brick

Hey Brick !

I will be spending some quality time with you on Sunday morning - I'm relying on you to distract my mind from the pain in my legs !

Bring ear plugs - I like a chat :lol:

Tranny hat will be firmly insitu :D

Hey Brick !

I will be spending some quality time with you on Sunday morning - I'm relying on you to distract my mind from the pain in my legs !

Bring ear plugs - I like a chat :lol:

Tranny hat will be firmly insitu :lol:

Just say hello before we start Mel.

I will have a Coolrunning cap on with yes you guessed it Brick on the back of it.

Brick

:D

A great day out at Sydney Marathon this morning.

Great weather, although started get a bit hot for the runners later in the morning.

25000+ people in total ove the 4 runs on offer.

Caught up with Gizmo, Mel & Brick periodically over the run & saw Nealo afterwards.

Gizmo ran 3:41ish, Mel I think was around the 4hr point + or - (she was ahead of the 4:15 pace runners), Brick was one of the 4:15 pace runners, and not surprisingly was feeling tired after a 100k race last weekend :lol: and Nealo sorry I forgot to ask your result, but if I recall correctly was running with the 4:15 group.

My brother ran his first marathon and came in at 3:31ish

A little dissapointed I didn't get to have a run but couldn't be helped and enjoyed the day none the less.

76.13 in the half. Slowest time since I was 18 and 6 mins slower than last year, dam IM training. Pretty happy with it though considering how much I am running now compared to the past.

You ironmaners are crazy! :lol:

That hurt, OUCH!

Stuck either ahead of or behind of the 3:45 pacers but fell off when we got to the hill just before the 33km mark at the turnaround. I then walked/run the next few 5km's before hearing a call from the crowd that "this last part is all mental". I then decided I didn't care what the legs thought and decided to run to the end now matter what.

So I missed my 3:45 but got 3:50:18.

Congratualations to Gizmo and Mel on their first as well! :lol:

Caught up with Gizmo, Mel & Brick periodically over the run & saw Nealo afterwards.

Gizmo ran 3:41ish, Mel I think was around the 4hr point + or - (she was ahead of the 4:15 pace runners), Brick was one of the 4:15 pace runners, and not surprisingly was feeling tired after a 100k race last weekend :lol: and Nealo sorry I forgot to ask your result, but if I recall correctly was running with the 4:15 group.

My brother ran his first marathon and came in at 3:31ish

congrats all, just saw it on the news and looked like a great day. good effort nealo, that's one leg confirmed :lol::D

Well done every one!!!

Saw Mr Flower at the start and heard a lot of calls from familiar looking hat wearers also! "Old" faces at the start included Jodie Purcell, Belinda Halloran and also Jackie 'G' - all lookikng darn fit!

Familiar figure Danny Ianozzo was the event Sparkie!

And then there was Mr Glen McGrath, Jonathan Coleman (who filled in for the Premier as a starter at the last minute), both of whom ran in one event or another today and a few other celebrities too!

Matty Harris was the start commentator - so triathlon ruled for a time today!

Not easy to be sociable at this one as juggling two radios and a mobile at each event start, coordinating with the Command Centre and the start Venue to coordinate start but this year we had only one real SNAFU with the toilet keys caught on the wrong side of the bridge when it shut!!!

An incredible show of police, RTA and councils cooperation to make it all work - this is one helluva an event - absolutely remarkable the range of authorities, volunteers (as brilliant as ever - thanks Hollie!) and So much bigger than ever this year!

Re the loos? My offside the effervescent 'Big Stu' eased the pressure somewhat in opening them all 15 minutes, before the keys arrived! Something about brute strength and ******...

Our big win of the day was finding the VW key for a chap who'd lost it near rego - it turned up in Taren Point, with the pack down from the Sold Out crew, who then drove it back to North Sydney where we found the reason the owner had been a little more than nervous - he's from Melbroune and is currently heading home for work Monday - he had to drive home!!!!!!

Thanks Mark!

And thanks for the Mocha from our VW friend from Melbourne! I forgot to get his name but he's a triathlete too!

The one battle we didn't win? Finding the hand bag for the lady who wrapped it in her clothing and put it on a clothing pile!!!

We dispatched her to the Wayside Chapel - and I'm hoping it turned up in the half a three tonne truck of clothing that went there after the races...

Cheers to all who made the journey, win lose or draw! Great effort from Wayne and the Pont 3 crew (and Julian) without whose perseverance the event wouldn't have made the eight year mark - so here's to 30,000 starters by the tenth anniversary!!! It's totally doable!

Great day and great race. Thanks for all involved.

Had a very solid run in the half for 83:13. Pretty happy with that, though did die a little in the last 4kms. Came 2nd in my age group to a mate who just beat me by 100 mtrs. Just missed out on bragging rights.

I was on cheersquad duties for brother mango in his comeback marathon. Spotted Nealo and I think Hymie towards the finish but didn't see any other Trannie. Was everyone else running incognito?

You all did awesome guys. Well done.

Guest Gimili
You ironmaners are crazy! :D

That hurt, OUCH!

Stuck either ahead of or behind of the 3:45 pacers but fell off when we got to the hill just before the 33km mark at the turnaround. I then walked/run the next few 5km's before hearing a call from the crowd that "this last part is all mental". I then decided I didn't care what the legs thought and decided to run to the end now matter what.

So I missed my 3:45 but got 3:50:18.

Congratualations to Gizmo and Mel on their first as well! :lol:

Well done Nealo..... sub 4 is your 6ft track qualifier...... hope you can walk Wednesday :lol:

It was a great event and well-organised. Congratulations to those involved! :lol:

It was quite ironic that the Premier, Nathan Rees, couldn't get there in time to start the event because of traffic!

I was on cheersquad duties for brother mango in his comeback marathon. Spotted Nealo and I think Hymie towards the finish but didn't see any other Trannie. Was everyone else running incognito?

You all did awesome guys. Well done.

Ran with your brother for a short while I think the heat got to him a bit.

Was happy with my pacing duties after Glasshouse 100 miler last weekend.

I was one of the 4:15 pacers and finished in 4:16:06 so close but a little over, did not see any course markers after 40KM which was a bit annoying seems how my Garmin ended up saying we ran 42.9KMs.

Had lost of fun we ended up loosing a lot of the group between 30-35KMs as it got hotter but picked up a few as we went on which was nice.

Lots of congratulations from people at the end which was nice, pacing is such good fun to just run easily.

Legs hurts a bit after but a couple/multiple beers after fixed them up.

Great to catch up with Bourne & Gizmo and to meet for the first time Mel.

Brick

Morning all, had a good day overall and was a good learning experience being my first.

Goal was 3.40.. stuck to HR and gel plan, felt great for 25kms and did a PB for the half way 1.43...

Slowed down a bit over the next half, no walking and counted steps 1-10 on the hills and when I was doing it tough.....

Finished 3.41 so happy with that.

Thanks to Trev Bourne who was all over the course on his bike lending some support...

Well done Mel on toughing it out especially with an injury, legend to come home 4.15

Nealo good one mate, now to step up and go long on tri's..

Saw Brick at the finish looked a bit knackered esp after running 100 miles last weekend... :D

I reckon the marathon in Ironman seems a lot easier than stand alone.. much better support from other althetes and spectators, so much more buzz...

Believe it... and it will happen..... :lol::lol:

Now focus shifts to Port Douglas 2/80/20 in 3 weeks then Forster sprint week after....

Giz

Edited by Gizmo

Morning Mad House !!

Had a great day out & furst stand alone marathon, goal for me was sub 4.30 & came home in 4.15 & was stoked with that :D

BIG thanx to Bourne who listened to me babble on endlessly about crap - he is a first class liar & was telling me from 20kms in that I only had 10mins to go :lol: clearly needs a new watch !!

Big congrats to Gizzy & Nealo for their first time efforts & Brick, no idea how you pulled that out after last weekend :lol:

Was a great race and a great day... should be on everybody's calendar

I ran my first standalone marathon, which I stupidly atttempted to do on very little winter training of any description... but I pulled out of the last 2 for that reason and didn't want to do it again.

It started well, HR was a little high but I put that down to nerves and not having run for a week... I was feeling good so just ran like it was a normal run and ended running through the field early and was up in front of the 3:15 pacer before I came to my senses and told myself to settle in, lest I pay for it later (which is what I told my mate 'the race doesn't start until 30km' etc)... and I did at about the 31 km mark.

anyway, things were good until I got into glebe then I started to feel the stride shorten etc. when I got to the 'hills' just before the turnaround I was really feeling the heat and the sun and started to cramp so had to walk the uphills. and that quickly turned into a walk/shuffle as I tried to get my legs to work properly but they refused to go more than about 50m without a rest, even in the last few hundred meters of the finishing chute I had to stop and rest!

between glebe and the finish I dropped a lot of time and ended up finishing in 4:10, which was a bit annoying as it was slower than my last IM marathon time and beating that was the only goal I had for the day...

but thats what you get when you rock up and try to race on talent alone... dissapointment. :lol:

I spotted Gizmo at the top of ANZAC pde and was going to say hi but suffered a bit of the trannie hat stage fright and just kept running so sorry about that mate... :lol: next time

How do you go from being in front of the 3:15 pacer and finishing in 4:10?

What part of the race were you ahead of the pacer?

That is a great implosion! :lol:

Webby, you crack me up. We clearly need to sit down and have a chat about the need to [a] train and include a long run as part of your training. But well done on getting through it.

Edited by Silent R

Not knowing what the normal wall at 30k feels like, I can tell you the "Westlink" of the Sydney Marathon is like a desert! You get to somewhere around 32.5km and there's this long grinding hill (I'm not really sure it's that big of a hill) that feels like it goes on forever. The heat that has been getting at you for the last 5km feels like it has increased 3 fold and the drink stations are like mirages. You think you see one coming but it's only an intersection barricaded!

Then on the way home you turn under "the bridge" and see The Opera House! Ahh sweet, the end is in sight. BUT there has been no km markers since 39km and how much further is there to go? What we're turning back towards The Rocks? Why? It can't be! The finish is over there! Surely it can't be that much further? Keep the legs turning. One more step. One more step. Don't walk. You didn't enter a Marathon to walk it!

The finish line. Now you can puke!

Not long after crossing the line I said to my wife "that's stupid, why do people do this?". A bit over 24hrs later and I'm convinced I'll be doing another.

Guest Gimili
Not long after crossing the line I said to my wife "that's stupid, why do people do this?". A bit over 24hrs later and I'm convinced I'll be doing another.

endorphins

Not knowing what the normal wall at 30k feels like, I can tell you the "Westlink" of the Sydney Marathon is like a desert! You get to somewhere around 32.5km and there's this long grinding hill (I'm not really sure it's that big of a hill) that feels like it goes on forever.

Your so right Nealo - that City West Link was just hot & grinding, no shade - I was looking for a tumbleweed to go past :lol: Loads of people on that section getting drips on the side of the road along that stretch :lol:

Lucky I had the pleasent company of Mr Bourne for a decent chuck of that return journey to the City ! :D

It was a great event once again, enjoyed the half & the early start to get it over & done with. Came up short of the goal though but thought for sure i was on target. Disappointed their was hardly any km markers especially the 10. Ran a lot with the thailand girl who came 3rd. With 4km to go i just wanted to break th 80 instead of 79. Really dug deep but not enough clearly in the last 2km, ended up with 80:12

Just wondering if anybody measured the course on their polar transponder if you were wearing one and what distance it said by the end cause i have a feeling it was a tad over 21.1

Cheers

Marc

Your so right Nealo - that City West Link was just hot & grinding, no shade - I was looking for a tumbleweed to go past :lol: Loads of people on that section getting drips on the side of the road along that stretch :lol:

Lucky I had the pleasent company of Mr Bourne for a decent chuck of that return journey to the City ! :D

Well I did have a decent chuck a couple days earlier :D:D

That last section from pyrmont out to the turn point and back is the worst, little scenery and a long hot slog. To make it worse that bland section of the course is at the very worst point in a marathon, between 30 to 36k points.

Just wondering if anybody measured the course on their polar transponder if you were wearing one and what distance it said by the end cause i have a feeling it was a tad over 21.1

It might be hard to get 100% accuracy from any GPS unit as they would have copped some GPS shadows through some of the city areas. That would interrupt their measurements a little, how much I don't know.

The Polar foot pod units would also be plus or minus a little as they themselves say they are only a minimum of 97% accurate even without calibration and up to 99% accurate if calibrated correctly.

But they would give you fair idea at least. (unless you ran the long way around all the corners ;) )

As noted on their website

What are the course distances?

Blackmores Sydney Marathon – 42.195km

Blackmores Half Marathon – 21.0957km

The Sunday Telegraph body+soul Bridge Run – 9km (approx.)

The Sunday Telegraph Family Fun Run – 4km (approx.)

Are the courses certified?

The Blackmores Sydney Marathon and Blackmores Half Marathon courses are AIMS Certified Accurate Courses. The Sunday Telegraph body+soul Bridge Run and The Sunday Telegraph Family Fun Run courses are not certified but approximate distances.

Didnt run it this yr but each time I have I find the 30-36km the toughest, mentally of any mara: SFA crowds, long grinding ridge/hill.....crappy area nr Ch 10....the W/Distributor...doesnt get interesting til 38km & by then you're usually buggered!

Then again, 6-7km of 42km that is crap aint too bad.

Would love to have been in it again this yr but had family comitments on the Sat so just couldnt leave them while indulged in another marathon.

Well done to all!

It might be hard to get 100% accuracy from any GPS unit as they would have copped some GPS shadows through some of the city areas. That would interrupt their measurements a little, how much I don't know.

The Polar foot pod units would also be plus or minus a little as they themselves say they are only a minimum of 97% accurate even without calibration and up to 99% accurate if calibrated correctly.

But they would give you fair idea at least. (unless you ran the long way around all the corners :lol: )

My Garmin had it at 21.28 I think. I wssn't too concerened as it could have shat itself through the city etc. However, the course was diffent (longer) as we didn't go throught eh O/S terminal we went around. Not much in it but longer.

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2008 at 7:46 PM, nealo said:

Sooooo a couple of 6 foot tracks, a few Ironman's and 10 years later I'm doing another tomorrow! 😖

• Like 4
  • Haha 1