Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions With Hitman

Hitman cannot be with us until later this evening. Topic to be bumped up later.

Hey Hitman, 10 Questions should be a doddle for a man like you...agreed?

1. Would you give us your real name and line of work? Based where? Noosa or on the Sunshine Coast? Full Bio Data optional.

2. Thanks Haydo. What about your sports background? Let's talk about your Rugby Union playing days....you almost made it to the top as I understand. Any regrets that you didn't take it further?

3. Paul, mate, you have a very solid IM history too. Ten finishes at Forster with times well under 11 hours. Give us the highlights please.

4.Is there any particular reason why a person like yourself focuses on the longer distances? Personal experience only, could a focus on this kind of training year in, year out...could that put a serious strain on you personal life?

5. Would you join a squad like AP's, what I'm getting at is, that by going with a coach it is highly likely that you might have improved those numbers above significantly...is that important to you at this stage of your life?

6. Paul, you're a big sports fan. Mate the current Aussie cricket team beats all opposition hands down. Given it's always great to see us win, do you feel that Test cricket might eventually get phased out in favour of other forms of the game, one day, 20/20 etc...how about 20 years down the road?

7. Haydo, a good looking fit man like you must be pulling girls like Yo Yo did at one point..before he "converted". Is that true?

8. That's nice. But my files say you haven't had a second date since 2003..what's the real story there?

9. Is it possible Paul, your opinion again....you randomly take 100 people having some sports background and assume that being Aussie they know basic swimming. So you offer them full time training (Tri Training) for a year....could this produce an Age Group champion or not? And same question, part 2, if this individual had a strong running background..would it then be possible?

10. If you and mate Rocket Salad had a beer at every tap in Noosa, daily as RS sometimes does. Is it likely you would die of alcoholism or go broke..which one first?

11.Not finished yet, I first want to tell you it's been tough putting these Q's together, you are still a mystery man in my opinion. And now the question, earlier you did not reveal, in fact you concealed your line of work. Answer may be obvious but why so?

12. Final one Paul, thanks for appearing....as I now gather you are not currently racing. Explain that, and what does the future hold...that's triathlon wise only.

Thanks for appearing Paul.

Another question will appear contingent on your answers above.

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

Guest Hitman

Hey Hitman, 10 Questions should be a doddle for a man like you...agreed?

Thanks K for the inclusion in the Hall of Fame. Do I have to swear on a bible or something ? I promise to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me god..

1. Would you give us your real name and line of work? Based where? Noosa or on the Sunshine Coast? Full Bio Data optional.

Paul Thomas HAYDEN. Have been in the QLD coppers for over 15 yrs now. Never intended to last as long as I have. Before joining up I bummed around in dead end jobs. Have been a taxi driver, postman, shearer, dairy farmer, encyclopedia salesman, amongst other things.

Did my time working in isolated areas, one and two man stations, tried most areas of the QPS. Eventually found a home doing crime scene work. My day starts at Redcliffe and covers an area that includes Caboolture, Bribie Island, Kilcoy, Moore and Morayfield. All banjo players of the highest order :lol:

I tried to transfer to the Sunny Coast, but no one ever leaves there. I mean why would you when it has ome of the best mountain biking trails in SE QLD.

2. Thanks Haydo. What about your sports background? Let's talk about your Rugby Union playing days....you almost made it to the top as I understand. Any regrets that you didn't take it further?

For a period of about 15 years I lived and breathed the sport. Played a bit of rep stuff, and was probably destined for a wallaby spot if it weren't for an apparent lack of ability. On saturdays i'd play club rugby and back up for a game of league on the sunday. Was a backrower who could play in the backline when needed.

I stopped playing before many of the new rules were implemented. Probably be sent off before half time nowadays if I played. there were no video referees around then and punnishment normally got dealt with summarily :D

Had an offer to play provincial rugby with North Harbour the same time I got accepted into the QPS. For many people the choice of a career seemed the most obvious choice. I deliberated fairly hard over the decision for awhile, before relenting. No regrets though. My mum was beside herself with pride the day I graduated the academy.

3. Paul, mate, you have a very solid IM history too. Ten finishes at Forster with times well under 11 hours. Give us the highlights please.[/b]

Details aren't quite accurate there K you're slipping ;)

10 finishes spread out over Forster, NZ, Port and Busselton.

I was only ever satisfied with 3 of them. I know a finish is a finish, but a PB has always been my motivation. Would be more happier blowing myself to bits somewhere in the wilderness and walking home with a fluro stick than not doing my level best. Have learnt to manage cramping, but don't think al thos years of footy helped my lower back

Sometimes I've been foolish and raced with a injury and it came back and bit me on the rump deluxe. The broke toe at IMNZ was one I should have had the common sense to sit out. After running 21k my hips were so far out of alignment, I laid on the village green behind transition for about 30 min trying to stretch it out.

My first Forster was highly memorable. Had no idea what I was doing really. All these expensive bikes and me and my aluminium Wheeler. Still managed a 10.50 without much trouble and was hooked. I was still a smoker than and started the day with 2 coffee's and a dury.

4.Is there any particular reason why a person like yourself focuses on the longer distances? Personal experience only, could a focus on this kind of training year in, year out...could that put a serious strain on you personal life?

In the beginning it just seemed the natural thing to do. Have been a runner for 30 years and have nutted out many problems whilst doing a long session. I train by myself probably 75% of the time due to work commitments and sometimes midweek when everyone is working some of the country roads are great for this type of training.

Have seen many a mariage put under enormous strain through IM and think it needs a flexible and understanding partner. Personally I was never going to be a long term IM'er. I can get quite bored if I don't have the stimulus provided by change. I feel better balanced now that I can race various formats and experiment with different things like road racing , mtb'ing, paddling etc.

I may come back to IM if it fits into other life matters

5. Would you join a squad like AP's, what I'm getting at is, that by going with a coach it is highly likely that you might have improved those numbers above significantly...is that important to you at this stage of your life?

AP is a good bloke. He gets results. Personally I would find it difficult to join his squad. I have associations with clubs and people whom I've know for many years. Loyalty means a lot to me and I would never deliberately upset Rowan and Ange.

Loyalty aside I do get your point about the coach's role. I have tried programs with Redman and Crofty and have gone reasonably well. I don't think I was with either long enough to see any dramatic changes.

With my work it can change dramaticaly without notice. Insted of anormal 9-5 shift, I may get called out after 10pm and find myself dragging my bum home in 24hrs time. It doesn't seem fair to dump that situation on a coach and still expect results. I have some very clever mentors through cycling clubs etc who provide advice when needed.

To be honest it isn't that significant anymore, mum's breast cancer has put many things in perspective.

6. Paul, you're a big sports fan. Mate the current Aussie cricket team beats all opposition hands down. Given it's always great to see us win, do you feel that Test cricket might eventually get phased out in favour of other forms of the game, one day, 20/20 etc...how about 20 years down the road?

Sport was probably my first true love. As a little bloke I was mesmerised by anything that involved a contest. Sadly my first 10 years of schooling reflected this obsession and I had to do some catch up at night school and go through uni as a adult

Yep I agree with you there K. Test cricket is becoming too predictable. Seems like the stronger teams are just getting stronger. Yeah modern sports people expect immediate results I reckon. There will always be room for the traditionalists who want to sit around trinking tea for 5 days.

Hmm 20 years time, not sure, have to get back to you on that one.

7. Haydo, a good looking fit man like you must be pulling girls like Yo Yo did at one point..before he "converted". Is that true?

:D:D too funny. I turn 44 soon you know. Have met some classy women, one took quite a bit to get over . I've had some golden opportunities and have no one to blame but myself.

Yo Yo is in a league of his own ;)

8. That's nice. But my files say you haven't had a second date since 2003..what's the real story there?

Incorrect. There has been a couple since then. Well maybe not that many. I'm just not that comfortable in the dating arena, just lacks a bit too much substance for my liking.

I had the opportunity to marry when I was 18 to a much older girl of 21. Fortunately the gods intervened and it never happened. I sold my beloved Sandman Ute instead and went to WA

At present I have some studies I need to knock over which will give me a qualification that will enable me to work overseas.

9. Is it possible Paul, your opinion again....you randomly take 100 people having some sports background and assume that being Aussie they know basic swimming. So you offer them full time training (Tri Training) for a year....could this produce an Age Group champion or not? And same question, part 2, if this individual had a strong running background..would it then be possible?

Yeah, quite possibly you could produce a champ if you stumble across the right talent.

More than likely it would take more than 12 months to develop such an athlete

I don't think a strong running background is as useful as a biking background in the second scenerio. Craig Mottram is an exception, but generally it takes years for a good runner to adapt to pushing big gears.

10. If you and mate Rocket Salad had a beer at every tap in Noosa, daily as RS sometimes does. Is it likely you would die of alcoholism or go broke..which one first?

;);) What can you say about RS. One of the biggest horses patoots going round. Seriously he doesn't drink, the boy consumes. He will be devastated if Rudd doesn't get up in the federal election.

Btw the ages of 18 -30 I drank enough beer that I reached saturation point. Now days I need to have the right company to have a few. Don't quite understand how I've developed a taste for red wine recently. It is someting I liked the look of but never entertained the thought of drinking the stuff.

RS is a guy he doesn't know how good he gets it. At a recent 24hr Mtb we are sitting around the morning campsite eating cold porridge, while his wife is cooking him up a mixed grill fit for a king. :lol:

11.Not finished yet, I first want to tell you it's been tough putting these Q's together, you are still a mystery man in my opinion. And now the question, earlier you did not reveal, in fact you concealed your line of work. Answer may be obvious but why so?

No great mystery, I'm quite open with most people I know. Guess I've been on the end of a few work based smear campaigns that make me a bit guarded. Some of these have been continuing for over 10 years. I still get a bit angry today when people don't forgive me for past indiscretions.

I like to be known for who I am as opposed to what I am. Most times I can't get out of work quick enough for play time. Sometimes people just choose to ram it down your throat constantly. I don't have any lofty ambitions to rise through the ranks. Just content living my dream.

12. Final one Paul, thanks for appearing....as I now gather you are not currently racing. Explain that, and what does the future hold...that's triathlon wise only.

No problems K has been a pleasure.

Am having a season of adventure racing next year, and looking at a possible a 24hr mtb solo ride. I still like HIM's and will be making cameos at some of the sprints

Thanks for appearing Paul.

Played it straight bat Haydo.... all day long, never get a ton that way...do you wanna tackle that 13th question? If you agree it's going to be in full view. Deal or no deal?

Guest Hitman
Played it straight bat Haydo.... all day long, never get a ton that way...do you wanna tackle that 13th question? If you agree it's going to be in full view. Deal or no deal?

334189[/snapback]

shoot

Just curious Hitman, haven't you been around Transitions for a while?

Why is your post count so low and showing that you only joined a week ago?

:lol:

Speaking of relationships Haydo, let's go back almost 2 years....2 years and 3 weeks to be exact.

Paul, had the cards fallen your way, would it be a correct assumption, that you might have been.....how could I say it, a more influential figure in the management of this forum?

You could have owned it? Accept or deny?

You didn't stick to the topic Hitman, you strayed onto the forum ownership. The topic was relationships and what might have been.....do I have to draw pics in the sand? :lol::lol: