Sign in to follow this  
timtufuga

My Noosa Triathlon a cultural shocking experience.

Tim_Tufuga_and_the_Noosa_triathlon_2007_shirt.jpg ( 26.36k ) Number of downloads: 0

Wow, so this is where all you people have all been hiding in?

Now, I have not been on this website like forever until now.

I have been banging my head against the wall trying to network with someone outside of the AMS triathlon club and then someone pointed me here.

Now, I have done the Noosa for the first time as well and found it somewhat a cultural shock.

I have been training for the Noosa triathlon from Logan and Gold Coast for some months. During the off season I had done the Brisbane half marathon, the Gold Coast Marathon and the Noosa half marathon.

The Noosa triathlon was going to be my inaugural impression for the Noosa triathlon and what a flop this became.

I had checked myself into a backpackers and paid for it with sleep deprivation listening to partying all night long. Then I went to the toilet all night.

I took my endura nutrition Optimiser and Endura rehydration formula. Then ate the Endura energy bar for good measure. I drank three bottle full of water as well. On top of this I took centrum, placebos plus and my osteoeze for all the rugby/martial arts and other inflicted fractures on my body over the years. Some IBS for stomach relief from the water I hoped!

So off to the Lions Park I walked somewhat nervous and apprehensive that I had zero sleep all night and that I was agry with my some shitstirrers which made me do a shadow boxing session outside my unit.

At the beach front, I had done my number 1 at the portaloos, and was strangely feeling the urge to do another one whilst waiting for the hooter. I wore the official Noosa shirt and my black cycling shorts for the swim. Damn did I regret doing this. I had so much drag in the water that it costed me at least five minutes on my swim. My cap fell out and I stopped to put the damn thing back on. I reached under the bridge and hands and feet clampered all over me like a bunch of mud wrestlers grappling at me and I realised oops the wave after me have caught me damn!!

I thought that this swim was taking too long and so I stopped and looked at my watch and was still trying to wake up from last nights revelry.

I finally saw the exit and was relieved to reach it I felt like sitting down for a yawn and a stretch. But I had to go to transition one.

I reached my bike which was one rack row number seven the furtherest part from the bike exit. I was relieved to realise that my bike was the only one left on the rack!!! Great, I really did swim very slowly.

No bikes to block me as I ran to the mounting sign.

On the bikeleg, it was follow the bloke in front of you. I hadnt any clue where the bike course was going to take me. So I just hoped that everyone in front of me knew where they were going as well. It was drafting so I was hoping to latch onto someone as their third wheel. No such luck. I had seen a very heavy set and tall man deliberately elbowed a smaller cyclist and saw him lay on the roadside and hearing him yelling swear words to the big burley cyclist who did it to him. I could not take the details of the offender because I was too consumed with racing but not that passionate enough to wipe out any opposition as this big gee man was.

I had reached the hill climb and my legs finally felt loose and my bike came to life. I rode the Gyndier road with such ease it was like I was so accostumed to this road already. I saw so many people struggling up the hill except for a single bloke who had an expensive Zipps wheelset who was the only cyclist to overtake on the hill climb. I overtook most cyclists and felt at ease. when I reached the summit and the turn around point for the descent. I was not prepared for what was in store.

I had descended at 89kph at one time and overtook blokes on zipp wheelsets which made me chuckle under my breathe, you see I have a cheapo Velocity wheelset, worth half the Zipps, and I smiled at them as I rode past them. Of course, the Zipp wheelset mobs caught up to me again in a pelaton and inflicted their revenge at my audacious little victory downhill. My daring downhill was unexpected for me as well because I never knew that there was this steep descent and it was damn fun too. I love the Gyndier Hill. I was warned by the racing marshalls for overtaking too far on the right over the median line, when I had overtook the Zipp wheelset bloke who was thinking that he was travelling fastest so that he could take over the entire road, forcing me to overtake him on his rightside.

My stomach was rumbling and I could feel the juices flowing and my body doing tricks to me as i was riding my bike. Inbound my stomach was churning and I had slowed down dramatically to a wimper, I was doing something like 25kph around Gympie terrace which was no way near my cruising speed ability. My Average speed had plummeted and I was almost hit from behind when I cyclist overtook me on my leftside without even warning me, So I swore at the twerp.

On T2 I had dismounted without incident. then it hit me. I could feel this most excruciating pain in my stomach. As I buckled my drink belt and my number belt.

I took a couple swigs of my endura formula from one bottle and then a swig from my other bottle which I had a curdled optimser in it. Damn stupid idea. Then I thought that I could bolster my energy levels with a sports gel. It was a bad idea, because I started to convulse and then I pulled over to the side of the road and puked over the road. I drank water which was so insipid it made me feel worse. I stopped for a number one at the portaloo for a minute or so of vacuous bliss. Ahhh... oops I still have to run/walk 8km. I walked about 5km and jogged the rest of the way vomitting and feeling very anti-social along the way. the ooficial asked me whether I should continue.

I insisted that I should get my monies worth, right???!!

My inaugural Noosa triathlon was a real fizzer. I will remember this event as the event in which I had suffered sleep deprivation, nutritional poisoning, and a very poor swim.

The end result... well, it would be obvious. I was at the butt end of the results.

My triathlons has become my murphy's law it has become a rule rather than an exception for me. My Mooloolaba effort was just as fun as well for a very similar reason as well.

I have become enthused with my experiences simply because I have done all these triathlons without any support networks from anywhere. I am fully self funded and I do not receive any sposorship from any other source apart from myself and I suppose I sister. It is still a fun sport nevertheless. I have received so many negative responses which is very interesting. It does not detract me in the slightest though.

I am one of only two Samoans competing in Queensland. The other Samoan is the only Samoan representative. I am a Kiwi Samoan unsponsored by anyone. I dont care at all.

I may consider doing another triathlon or maybe not. I will continue running though. I may consider cycling. I find the sport networks very misanthropic at the best of times, damn lonely, and very costly. I have found my former club members with AMS triathlon very unfriendly and racist which has made the situation worse, especially since they decided to get rid of my membership, for no reason other than my race. This only emboldens me more. Nevertheless, I have no qualms with doing triathlons and certainly AMS does not deter me whatsoever.

So, people of Australia Triathlon I am Tim Tufuga a New Zealander from Crestmead, Logan City. and I do exist as a Samoan triathlete within Queensland.

Ia soifua tatou mo lenei fo'i taimi.

Hi Tim and welcome.. maybe you dont need that much fuel before the race.. and maybe have the endura mixed a bit weaker concentration...

Also be positive and worry about your own race, not the others...

keep up the great work..

is it really Tim?

332621[/snapback]

Whatever do you mean Ronnie? Is it I, Tim, writing the story or are you asking whether I am Tim? A real person?

Hey Tim, whereabouts in NZ you hail from - were you born here (Im in NZ) or Samoa?

nige the kuywuy

Hey Tim, whereabouts in NZ you hail from - were you born here (Im in NZ) or Samoa?

nige the kuywuy

332882[/snapback]

Talofa lava tama!

Yes, I am a Kiwi, I was born in Christchurch, in 1968. I have lived in Brisbane like forever.

I have travelled back to Samoa to visit my father but this was back in 1997. He lives in Apia, he is a high chief from Sala'ilua, Savai'i, Samoa. He is CPA working as an auditor for the Samoan government. An ex-Canterbury university scholar and he was a Saint Bedes old boy. He was a scholarship rara kid from way back.

My mother was a blue collar worker from a real gentrified stock, she was the granddaughter of the high chief of Apia, and a granddaughter of the high chief of Asau village, in Savai'i island, Samoa. which means that I have gentrified stock from both sides of my parentage, even though I am a bastard.

In other words, we are descendents from Aristocratic stock!

I am an atheist and I dont give two hoots about friends.

I am the lone wolf and predator! But, I am very transparent so Im no ninja.

See !

So what is your heritage?

Are you a proud white anglo saxon Kiwi?

hahaha

I went to Brisbane State High School, and I was in the first XV back in 1986. It is a GPS school which is, if you are from Brisbane you would then know, there are only 9 GPS schools in Queensland.

I was the first Samoan, and Pacific Islander, to be honoured into the BSHS first XV, and as a full pocket rugby player. If you don't know who I am then log onto my website. I also played for Samoa in rugby league back in 1988 and in 1992.

Triathlons is something I do for kicks!!!

Edited by timtufuga

I have 2 things to add ... um first my own parentage .... dad fixed trucks and I think mum worked at a drive in for a while .... I have only done Noosa twice so I may not, in addition to my poor breeding stock, be in a position to comment but anyhow ...

that swim in Nossa is a bit of a tricky thing, the first year I did it I was clobbered from the minute I started to swim until my feet touched the ground at the end of the swim and probably again after that ..... this year a couple of clips over the head, goggles knocked of once and I was away lots of clear water for a lot of the time, my swim time was not great but I had a most enjoyable swim so I was happy enough with that ....

I was terrified before the swim start remembering the dreadful swim from the year before but that just added to the enjoyment of the good swim this year. I am planning next years swim to be better again just like I am sure yours will be :D

Secondly, curdled optimiser :lol: why was it curdled? when did you make it up, do you think someone did something to it to curdle it? I bet thats your tummy cluprit, couldn't have been helpful in the very least :lol:

Shame you had such a crappy race this year Tim, :D better races lay ahead for sure :D

Hi Tim

Well done, sounds like you had a tough race.

Tough races and bad luck happens to everyone and all you can do is try to learn from it.

Some advice for next time. If your getting stomach cramps when racing chances are the concentration of the contents of your stomach is already too high. You need to dilute it by sticking to water only and maybe backing off the pace a little until it all settles down.

Stick with it and better luck next time. :lol:

I have 2 things to add ...  um first my own parentage ....  dad fixed trucks and I think mum worked at a drive in for a while ....  I have only done Noosa twice so I may not, in addition to my poor breeding stock, be in a position to comment but anyhow ...

332938[/snapback]

How we turned out to be such fine outstanding members of society I will never know. :lol:

I have 2 things to add ...  um first my own parentage ....  dad fixed trucks and I think mum worked at a drive in for a while ....  I have only done Noosa twice so I may not, in addition to my poor breeding stock, be in a position to comment but anyhow ...

332938[/snapback]

How we turned out to be such fine outstanding members of society I will never know. :D

332943[/snapback]

Triumphant overcommers of adversity ... :lol::lol:

Tim,

Some good advice above. Noosa can be a tough race due to dehydration and getting your fluid intake just right can be a bit hit and miss.

Well done for finishing, although the great thing about Noosa is that if you make the run turnaround, you have to finish as there is no other way back to the finish. As for the swim, you should be used to the biffo as an ex rugby player, its the nature of the swim course.

btw, very few of us here are sponsored and most of us are just racing for the love of the sport and the fitness and lifestyle it brings. Just focus on what you are doing and improving your own performance, its far less stressful than worrying about others.

Hey Tim, Good to read your first-hand account of your Noosa race. Sounds like quite an experience, and the important thing is how you use what you learned from the day for next time.

In triathlons there's so many things that contribute to a good performance, and each one of us is looking to achieve our own "personal legend" (that term is from a great book called "The Alchemist"). And each of us can pursue our personal legend in every part of our life...and it's never an easy road, otherwise there wouldn't be the same satisfaction when you do achieve it.

It's great that you've chosen triathlons to channel your energy towards as there are a lot of positives from being involved. And everyone out there is on your side to help, encourage and support you - that's what makes triathlons such a great community.

I'd suggest to find someone to spend some time talking to and learning about the sport, what it takes and how to do it. You'll often find you learn a lot about yourself and your approach and attitude so you too feel more a part of the community and can benefit from the support and encouragement that exist.

Triathlons are not "us and them", it's a lifestyle that we all do together. Good luck with your training and racing.