AP

Trannies Biggest Losers - tip #4

The weigh in shows some good results, a few names missing from the list. But we haven't forgotten you. We're all watching, and supporting. Stick at it. :lol:

Fats are not your enemy. Lots of dieters make the mistake of eliminating almost all fat from their diet.

You need fat to be healthy. You need to be healthy to lose weight and keep it off.

Health is the first consideration, always. Before body weight, before appearance, before fitness.

Drop the deep fried foods first. Get rid of margarine. Drastically reduce the animal fats.

If you don't eat fish 3-5 times per week, and even if you do, take flax seed oil every day. The Australian diet is far too short of omega 3 and omega 6 fats.

We need those fats to make the important hormones involved in weight management and a whole lot of other important functions.

Any frying should be done with a small amount of olive oil, use either olive oil or flax seed oil in salad dressings. Avacado is also an important scource of essential fatty acids. Just don't eat too much of it.

Salad dressing recipe -

Mix together - 1/4 cup flax seed oil, 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, 1 dsrt spoon of chopped capers, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt, 1 crushed garlic clove, 1 teaspoon grainy mustard.

This salad dressing will supply the enzymes which will help digest the meal, the dose of essential oils we need to stay on top of our health and it'll make another boring salad exciting.

You can keep it in the fridge for at least a week, possibly longer. You can make it up on the weekend for those quick meals through the week.

If you don't eat fish 3-5 times per week, and even if you do, take flax seed oil every day. The Australian diet is far too short of omega 3 and omega 6 fats.

AP I take two Omega 3 capsules a day ( I hate fish), does this do the same job as flax seed oil?

Any frying should be done with a small amount of olive oil,

Would this produce trans fats?

Thanks for the weekly tips btw :lol:

AP provides some great information and makes some excellent points regarding the intake of essential fatty acids (EFA). Not only do you need these fats to maintain health (hence the word "essential" in the name) but when you cut all the fat out of your diet the body responds by "holding on" to its fat stores more voraciously. In other words, to burn fat you have to eat a little fat.

If I may, I would like to comment on the use of flax seed oil versus fish oil in obtaining the Omega 3 fatty acids. I don't know what the average intake of Omega 3 and Omega 6 EFA is in Australia but I know here in the States we consume far too much Omega 6's in relation to Omega 3's. Most research points to a 1:3 ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio as being ideal, yet the average diet in the US shows a 1:20-50 ratio, which is obviously very much out of balance. In other words, while most of us consume an overabundance of Omega 6’s, our Omega 3 intake is quite lacking.

That said, there is, of course, nothing wrong with consuming flax seed oil. In fact, in the world of fats it’s hard to beat flax seed oil because it's a very healthy fat, certainly in comparison to any type of hydrogenated or saturated fat. It's got an attractive EFA profile that is 54% Omega 3 (from Alpha Linolenic Acid - ALA), 14% Omega 6 (Linoleic Acid), with the rest being comprised primarily of various monounsaturated fats.

The primary reason I like fish oil over flax seed oil to obtain the Omega 3 fatty acids is because while the ALA component in flax oil is able to convert into the desired "end products" - EPA (eicosapentanoic acid) and DHA (docosahexanoic acid) - it takes several enzymatic steps in the body for this to occur, whereas fish oil already contains both EPA and DHA... you basically eliminate a few enzymatic processes by taking fish oil. In addition, some people aren't able to efficiently convert ALA into EPA and DHA, and this conversion ability may continue to diminish as part of the aging process. Fish oils are concentrated, "body ready" sources of EPA/DHA, which is why I prefer using them (fish oils) to obtain these essential Omega 3 fatty acids as compared to flax seed oil.

All this said, I think AP's spot on in recommending we drop the fried foods and butter/margarine, and cut back substantially on the animal fats. This is where most of the Omega 6's in our diet are coming from and, if my science is correct, because these O-6's are coming from a more saturated fat source the majority of them convert to a substance called arachidonic acid, which has undesirable, pro-inflammatory effects. Switching over to flax seed and olive oils (and other unsaturated fats) to obtain our Omega 6 EFA is definitely a wise strategy because the majority of these O-6's will convert to a desirable "end product", gamma linolenic acid (GLA) instead of arachidonic acid.

I completely agree with AP in that the consumption of both flax seed oils (and/or other unsaturated fats such as olive oils) and fish oils is a very good idea. I use olive oil and sunflower oil for cooking and for salad dressings, and I like to use ground flax seed meal on salads... I find these to be healthier alternatives for obtaining Omega 6 EFA. To boost my Omega 3 intake, and because I don't consume fish often enough, I take fish oil capsules every day... they're an essential part of my supplement program.

As far as cooking with olive oil producing trans fats, I found this information on the Olive Source web site (www.oliveoilsource.com/cooking_olive_oil.htm) --

Olive Oil Myth: Heating a cooking oil will make it saturated or a trans-fatty oil.

The Facts: As far as making a saturated fat, according to Dr. A. Kiritsakis, a world renowned oil chemist in Athens, (Book - OLIVE OIL FROM THE TREE TO THE TABLE -Second edition 1998), all oils will oxidize and hydrogenate to a tiny degree if repeatedly heated to very high temperatures such as is done in commercial frying operations. Olive pomace oil and virgin olive oil are both highly monounsaturated oils and therefore resistant to oxidation and hydrogenation. Studies have shown oxidation and hydrogenation occurs to a lesser degree in olive oil than in other oils. But in any case, the amount of hydrogenation is miniscule and no home cook would ever experience this problem.

The large refinery-like factories which take unsaturated vegetable oil and turn it into margarine or vegetable lard do so by bubbling hydrogen gas through 250 to 400 degree hot vegetable oil in the presence of a metal catalyst, usually nickel or platinum. The process can take several hours. You cannot make a saturated product like margarine at home by heating olive oil or any other vegetable oil in a pan. We don't know where this weird notion has come from.

-- END --

Hope you'll find this info useful!

Thanks Hammer man,

I find it easier to get my athletes to take flax seed oil caps because they don't burp fish taste. :lol:

Those who like fish are OK but those who hate fish stop taking fish oil caps if they taste the fish later. I've even had them take the caps with chocolate to help the absorbtion as the fat in the chocolate is digested, like a little reward for being good :lol:

Plaz

That's them

I usually have the guys take two am and pm. :lol:

Thanks Hammer man,

I find it easier to get my athletes to take flax seed oil caps because they don't burp fish taste.  :lol:

Those who like fish are OK but those who hate fish stop taking fish oil caps if they taste the fish later. I've even had them take the caps with chocolate to help the absorbtion as the fat in the chocolate is digested, like a little reward for being good  :lol:

226965[/snapback]

You're absolutely right... and as soon as you burp up fish oil during a workout, things pretty much come to a halt right then and there. That's a bridge you only want to cross one time only!

One thing I've found that helps minimize the fish oil "burp" is to refrigerate, even freeze, the capsules. I don't know exactly why this helps but I've noticed a substantial difference keeping fish oil capsules in the fridge or freezer versus at room temperature.

You're also spot on regarding the chocolate. In fact, there's a company called Coromega (www.coromega.com/index3.html) that makes a liquid fish oil product (comes in small sachets) that has a very pleasant orange/chocolate taste to it... you can't even tell you're consuming fish oil. My wife can't tolerate regular fish oil capsules so she takes this product, which I believe is also available in Australia and New Zealand.

The key thing, as you so aptly pointed out in your original post, is to substantially cut back on the saturated fats and to increase consumption of unsaturated fats/essential fatty acids. And whether these healthy fats come from flax or fish oil is not nearly as important as is just consuming EFA's daily.

It's about 6 degrees C here in Montana today so I'm REALLY looking forward to getting on that plane bound for Sydney on Monday!

Steve

I haven't seen the Coromega product here. I'm always looking for better ways to keep my guys healthy. You can't get unhealthy bodies fit. :lol:

6 C. is too cold for me, I think our coldest morning in Brisbane this winter was 6 C.

I have a friend with a ranch in Montana somewhere, he has told me the water pipes have to all be buried six feet deep to avoid freezing in winter.

I must be soft, I wore arm warmers and a thermal top this morning :lol: