AP

Trannies Biggest Losers Tip #2

I dont think this looks like a bad diet (apart from the white bread and the crisps!!) so why does my weight not really change even with a fair amount of training.

Tricia,

For the next month, every day write down the kilojoules in everything you eat/drink/consume. Then calculate how many kilojoules you burn every day and compare the two. I've been doing this for the last 3 weeks and it's a real eye-opener - just how little food you really need to eat to meet your daily requirements. See: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_BMR.html

For me, my BMR is around 1900 kcal. That's just to run my body and doesn't include any activity. I work in IT, sitting at a desk all day, so my daily activity would be classed as 'sedentary' (on a day when I don't do any training), so theoretically I can eat about 1900* 1.3 = 2300kcal/day (8400kJ) without putting on weight.

Now I start with a limit of 2300kcals to eat every day and then add on any extra calories I burn through exercise, subtract whatever I eat during the day and, since I'm trying to lose weight, I try and maintain a deficit of 500kCal.

You only need to do it for a couple of weeks as after that you have a pretty good idea of the meal sizes you should be consuming and don't need to be so pedantic.

Yes, as a bloke I feel like a total prat counting calories, but I've spent the last 2 years improving my diet, yet every time I stop training for something, the weight slowly comes back on. I've just turned 34, so if I don't make a serious effort to learn this stuff now, in 5 years I'll b resting my beer on a hump of my own, and that I don't want. Desperate times call for desperate measures. :lol:

The mixing and elimination of certain food types I think can stop some calory absorption and that is what Atkins high protein diet is based on

Actually... even that is not correct... although, for a long time, it's what everyone guessed was happening, and what Atkins (who knew bugger-all about HOW it worked) was happy to go along with.

Some studies carried out (in Norway, if memory serves) revealed that the truth of the matter was that, on average, Atkins followers simply put less calories in their mouths. Closer investigation revealed that there was a long-term tendency for high-protein diets, to suppress appetite... but there were also detrimental health effects that deserve serious consideration.

So... even Atkins comes down to the same basic maths... Calories-In vs. Calories-Out.

Messing about with "absorption" does... hmmm... what? absorbs the calories you shove down your cake-hole?? ...ok... but I fail to see that altering the maths... the body is INCREDIBLY efficient at breaking down and absorbing anything you put in your mouth... and, by the time it reaches the other end, it's going to be absorbed, be-it fast or slow.

Similarly... "tuning" your metabolism to burn more calories... simply means you can eat more, for the same net gain/loss. You could get the same result by not improving your metabolism and eating less.

The first law of thermodynamics:: "Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only be converted from one form to another"

Edited by MB..

P.S. -- As per Slowman, I don't necessarily disagree with everything AP suggests, but I do disagree with his logic, reasons and explanations.

As I read what he is TRYING to suggest...

If you want to lose weight, via your diet::

1. Consume Less Calories.

2. Maximised the nutritional quality of the calories you do consume.

My issues are mainly with his fixed notions on how you achieve those, and some of the more bizarre suggestions (e.g. is "light conversation only" really going to change the first law of thermodynamics ??).

However... some of his suggestions seem to be quite reasonable to me, and I have no issue with them.

Of course... as most of us also realise... the other side of the weight gain/loss equation is::

1. Burn more Calories.

...and a long term solution must address that side of your life-style... but, as most of us here are triathletes, I suspect that it's a given that we all know that one.

I think that I've said MORE than enough by now, and will beg off from this topic at this point.

I think you guys are overthinking everything a little?

I think AP is just trying to keep it as simple as possible.

I think you guys are overthinking everything a little?

I think AP is just trying to keep it as simple as possible.

224939[/snapback]

Well then, no reasons should have been given but he gave them and some of us think they are questionable (not the diet, not the reasons for using the diet). Here's the paradox; unless you look at the details you will not be able to find or perhaps distill the simple truth. If you oversimplify, you can be led elsewhere. Anyway, if you want simple what could be simpler than, if you want to lose weight eat less calories than you are burning? No need even for a diet

Some studies carried out (in Norway, if memory serves) revealed that the truth of the matter was that, on average, Atkins followers simply put less calories in their mouths. Closer investigation revealed that there was a long-term tendency for high-protein diets, to suppress appetite... but there were also detrimental health effects that deserve serious consideration.

So... even Atkins comes down to the same basic maths... Calories-In vs. Calories-Out.

I recall PowerBar put together some research saying these things in a strident attack on the concept of Atkins and "zone" diets (no doubt because of a competitor energy bar based on the zone diet). I use the hunger suppression of protein after long rides to stop the ravenous feeling. You have some carbs but your body still craves more calories and usually an egg on toast stops that, otherwise I find I just keep eating.

Edited by Slowman

Two BOP guys with medical dictionaries and 20 page dissertations or a skinny old bloke with 2 paragraphs and 20 trips to Kona.........I wonder whos getting it wrong??

225002[/snapback]

Lets think about that for while. :lol::lol::D:D:D

Oh your Coach, am I right. ;);)

You I would say Jimmy, but then thats why you posted that. What the hell does trips to Kona got to do with it? Some of the skinniest people I know are also the least healthy.

And some of the most intelligent have never been. Go figure huh? :lol:

On second thought... that's ancient history, and best left as such.

Edited by MB..

Two BOP guys with medical dictionaries and 20 page dissertations or a skinny old bloke with 2 paragraphs and 20 trips to Kona.........I wonder whos getting it wrong??

225002[/snapback]

Lets think about that for while. :lol::lol::D:D:D

Oh your Coach, am I right. ;):gathering:

225005[/snapback]

Indeed. 20 trips to Kona must just about make him emeritus professor of dietary technics and and crystalline energy channeling on homeopathic wavelengths of the universe. Jimmy, it seems they've finally caught up with you for your free move to QLD lobtomy. Now you can vote happily against water recycling too. ;);)

Still, following his dietary suggestions wouldn't be a bad thing...there's too many rabbits in China.

Edited by Slowman

Guest Hitman

Can cellulite be controlled by diet? Shane Webcke's add for NRMA shows how damaging it can be. I hate those Melbourne players too.

I dont think this looks like a bad diet (apart from the white bread and the crisps!!) so why does my weight not really change even with a fair amount of training.

Tricia,

For the next month, every day write down the kilojoules in everything you eat/drink/consume. Then calculate how many kilojoules you burn every day and compare the two. I've been doing this for the last 3 weeks and it's a real eye-opener - just how little food you really need to eat to meet your daily requirements. See: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_BMR.html

For me, my BMR is around 1900 kcal. That's just to run my body and doesn't include any activity. I work in IT, sitting at a desk all day, so my daily activity would be classed as 'sedentary' (on a day when I don't do any training), so theoretically I can eat about 1900* 1.3 = 2300kcal/day (8400kJ) without putting on weight.

Now I start with a limit of 2300kcals to eat every day and then add on any extra calories I burn through exercise, subtract whatever I eat during the day and, since I'm trying to lose weight, I try and maintain a deficit of 500kCal.

You only need to do it for a couple of weeks as after that you have a pretty good idea of the meal sizes you should be consuming and don't need to be so pedantic.

Yes, as a bloke I feel like a total prat counting calories, but I've spent the last 2 years improving my diet, yet every time I stop training for something, the weight slowly comes back on. I've just turned 34, so if I don't make a serious effort to learn this stuff now, in 5 years I'll b resting my beer on a hump of my own, and that I don't want. Desperate times call for desperate measures. :lol:

224898[/snapback]

Thanks for that Webswim - it makes sense and I'm sure that if I added my calories up they would be have to be more than I expend. I'll have to try it.

But not today - it's my birthday so I've had AP's three "let loose" meals today. Tomorrow is another day ...........

Tricia.

But not today - it's my birthday so I've had AP's three "let loose" meals today.  Tomorrow is another day ...........

Can't argue with that logic. Happy Birthday! :lol:

How do you really know your basal metabolic rate? From a generic calculator on the internet?

Well you could hook yourself up to an expired gas thingy (technical term :lol:) and get it exactly, but an online calculator will give you a ballpark figure which you can then refine through trial and error by monitoring energy in vs energy out.