AP

Trannies Biggest Losers Tip #2

WHEAT AND DIARY FOODS ARE DIFFICULT TO DIGEST, TO BOOST THE EFFICIENCY OF YOUR SYSTEM, YOU NEED TO ELIMINATE ANY FOODS WHICH SLOW DOWN ABSORBTION. YOUR GENERAL HEALTH WILL BENEFIT BY THE MONTH'S DISCIPLINE. AFTER THAT MONTH IT'LL BE EASY TO SETTLE FOR A HEALTHY EATING PLAN WHICH IS LESS RESTRICTED.

Hope this helps. I should have added in my earlier post that I am eliminating thses sources from my diet for one month.

AP, why is dairy a big no go???  Obviously cheese is full of fat, but even full fat milk only has 4% fat.

224655[/snapback]

Because AP likes urban myths... both of these (Wheat and/or Dairy is bad) have been debunked by science many times... but probably wouldn't make for interesting enough viewing on myth-busters.

FAT and PROTIEN (e.g. fish) simply take longer to process (I could bore you with the biochem, but won't) but neither WHEAT nor DAIRY is deleterious in their own right, unless you happen to be among the very small minority with an allergy to either... it's all about total calories and common-sense balance.

Edited by MB..

Because AP likes urban myths... both of these (Wheat and/or Dairy is bad) have been debunked by science many times

You can't say one size fits all MB. People try something and if it works for them, then good. I can't eat a lot of diary as milk solids slow down my system and give me problems my TCM professional has to work hard to sort out.

I would have thought with the health issues you've had in the past you would have tried something like this? Might be worth it if you haven't. Though you'd have to approach it with an open mind :lol:

Because AP likes urban myths... both of these (Wheat and/or Dairy is bad) have been debunked by science many times

You can't say one size fits all MB. People try something and if it works for them, then good. I can't eat a lot of diary as milk solids slow down my system and give me problems my TCM professional has to work hard to sort out.

I would have thought with the health issues you've had in the past you would have tried something like this? Might be worth it if you haven't. Though you'd have to approach it with an open mind :lol:

224692[/snapback]

I think you are misunderstanding me here Foxy... I'm not declaring any one-size-fits-all rule for anything... rather, I am suggesting that AP might be guilty of this.

Weight is about calorie-acquired vs. calorie-expended -- and it's no more complex than that.

Everything else about a diet (i.e. selecting specific food types) is aimed at something else, and what I am saying is, that AP is mixing the two up, and confusing people in the process.

WEIGHT is not a factor of WHAT you eat, but simply a factor of HOW MUCH you eat... and modifying a balance of food types, to achieve weight-loss, is just another variant of the atkins/hollywood-juice approach... i.e. you can't say 'this is not a diet' and then go and specify a diet... it's illogical.

Adjusting a food balance to achieve OTHER goals, might well be justified, but don't start mixing up weight-loss with other goals, and lumping them all in as being one-and-the-same thing.

It's true that some people are lactose-intolerant, and it's equally true, that any food that doesn't work for YOU is not good for YOU.

However, there is also an overwhelming number of people for whom Dairy and/or Wheat (e.g. Pasta) are simply not an issue (this is the part where research has shown such sweeping statements to be a myth).

By all means, if you are suspicious of them, give it a try and see how it affects you... but the one-size-fits-all rule, that you should drop dairy and wheat (although, to be fair, it's not part of this post) smacks of the "this works for me, and thus it will work for you" approach that too many "dieticians" are guilty of.

My own CFS issues are not dietary related, other than the fact I simply eat too much for my, now, sedentary lifestyle. I've spent much time investigating all the various tree-hugging solutions, and keep coming back to the one thing I trust... science.

Edited by MB..

Weight is about calorie-acquired vs. calorie-expended -- and it's no more complex than that.

Yeah, I hear you MB. :D It sounds so simple, but in reality it is soooo hard :lol:

Why does watching the footy always give me the munchies :lol:

Guest Gimili

Dairy - Humans are the only animal that has dairy once of the tit. Sure, we learnt to farm and we feed it to animals but no other animal eats/ drinks the stuff once of the tit by their own accord. If nature doesn't do it, you shouldn't either.

If nature doesn't do it, you shouldn't either.

Well... there goes education... excercising for fun... harnassing of electricity...

Edited by MB..

Guest Gimili

Well... there goes education... excercising for fun... harnassing of electricity...

224722[/snapback]

The body is a temple and all I am saying is there is nothing in the animal world that craves milk throughout it's life like the human does. There are plenty of examples of animals educating etc, but none drinking milk. Freud probably had a view on this he never published.

Edited by gimili9

The body is a temple

Oh, leave me ALONE !!

The body is a piece of crap that gets you, on average, about 80 years of you're lucky. What you do with it during that time... well, suit yourself... but one thing is for sure... the end game is still the same... milk or no milk.

Guest Gimili
The body is a temple

Oh, leave me ALONE !!

The body is a piece of crap that gets you, on average, about 80 years of you're lucky. What you do with it during that time... well, suit yourself... but one thing is for sure... the end game is still the same... milk or no milk.

224728[/snapback]

Leave you alone :lol:

The body is a temple and I pump as much preservative into it as possible so it lasts as long as possible, milk however goes off very quickly, even that long life stuff doesn't last once opened - just don't touch the stuff.

:lol:  Poor MB - have a horlicks or a hot cocoa and a good night's sleep!  :lol:  :D

224731[/snapback]

No, I'm actually serious here Foxy.

You have a life expectancy of around 80years... give or take... and if I had to choose between ice-cream and 75... or grilled fish and 85... I'll sign over the 10years right here and now for a guaranteed supply of sara-lee.

My own CFS issues are not dietary related, other than the fact I simply eat too much for my, now, sedentary lifestyle. I've spent much time investigating all the various tree-hugging solutions, and keep coming back to the one thing I trust... science.

Stick with it MB :D

But don't spoil anybody elses fun :D

Embrace your "CFS issues", your faith in "science" and your sedentry lifestyle, if you're happy with that so are we :lol:

ps, ask Ronnie how she's going with the few changes to her lifestyle, offer her a bit of support while you're at it :lol:

AP, why is dairy a big no go??? Obviously cheese is full of fat, but even full fat milk only has 4% fat.

Diamonds

Dairy foods suit some people, not all people :D

Some people find diary foods hard to digest, some can take goat or sheep cheese but not cows cheese (my own situation) different protein structures.

Often people who gain weight easily and have trouble losing it have hormonal balances affected by diary foods, this can cause weight build up.

Most asians can't take diary foods, their stomachs don't digest it well. Asians on their traditional diet rarely get fat. :lol: Move them to the US or Australia and watch their kids blow up :lol:

An average days food intake for me is

Brekkie: Just Right/muselei mix with Trim milk - cup of coffee

Lunch: Salad roll with ham, chicken or cheese (usually white bread)

Low fat yogurt

small pkt crisps

Cup of coffee

Dinner: Chicken and salad or vegies (or similar - always salad and steamed or

boiled vegies but sometines fish or lamb)

Low fat yogurt

1 glass of wine

Cup of coffee

Snacks: Maybe a few raw nuts/raisins or an apple or two during the day.

I dont think this looks like a bad diet (apart from the white bread and the crisps!!) so why does my weight not really change even with a fair amount of training. AP if I cut out the bread and dairy what would I replace it with?

Tricia.

Edited by pja

Most asians can't take diary foods, their stomachs don't digest it well

:D Now I get it - Yoyo is Asian? :lol::D:D

pja - replace the chips with fruit - but I know..sometimes you feel like you need something 'filling' Can you have a pita instead of white roll? I wonder if you are eating enough and often enough? Though I think we have discussed that other issue that makes it harder for women at our age :lol:

Just interested, do you do weights?

I dont think this looks like a bad diet (apart from the white bread and the crisps!!) so why does my weight not really change even with a fair amount of training. AP if I cut out the bread and dairy what would I replace it with?

pja

The diet looks OK, but for an athlete it looks like you don't get enough protein.

* You could add a handfull of almonds to the muesli in the mornings.

* You could lose the crisps at lunch time and include some more protein, a chicken leg, a can of tuna or a boiled egg?

* Do you need a dessert (yogurt in the evening)? You probably store it on your hips overnight. Fill yourself up with more veges or salad and you won't need a dessert.

* Increasing the protein content of each meal will lessen the cravings between meals, you'll be more satisfied. :lol:

* You could add a handfull of almonds to the muesli in the mornings.

Should have added that I do this.

* You could lose the crisps at lunch time and include some more protein, a chicken leg, a can of tuna or a boiled egg?

Sometimes for lunch I'll have a banana/almonds/milk/honey drink and I put some protein powder in that. Is that a good regular substitute for the sandwhich or too much dairy?

* Do you need a dessert (yogurt in the evening)? You probably store it on your hips overnight. Fill yourself up with more veges or salad and you won't need a dessert.

Good point - can easily go without.

* Increasing the protein content of each meal will lessen the cravings between meals, you'll be more satisfied. :lol:

I dont really have cravings between meals - I feel like my meals are enough and an apple is sufficient if I need something.

224809[/snapback]

It just feels like it needs a big shake up to make a difference to my weight. Maybe I just need to train harder. :lol:

Thanks for your feedback AP.

Tricia.

Most asians can't take diary foods, their stomachs don't digest it well. Asians on their traditional diet rarely get fat. smile.gif Move them to the US or Australia and watch their kids blow up sad.gif

That's true. I've never seen Yoosun drink milk, although she likes a capacino now and then. She weighs 48kgs and her weight rarely changes. She's not full on Asian diet all the time, she tends to like western breakfasts, but generally eats Asian style. The main problem I can see with the Korean diet is that for an athlete it would be low on carbs. However if like me you need to lose weight and have a wife that likes to cook traditional Asian, it would be hard not to lose weight.

My problem is I finish work early and am left to my own culinary devices :lol: we're changing that though :lol:

Edited by FatPom

The Asian diet habit point is a good one. I worked for about seven years in the Fairfield/Cabramatta area which is choc full of Asians. The only fat ones were the ones eating at the "Western" take away joints around town. I discussed it once with the old lady that ran the local chinese place. She reckons the Aussies fill up on the meat and rice but in the main left the vegies to be chucked, but the Asians ate everything and left the majority of the meat behind, be it chicken, beef, pork or fish. Totally different philosophies, but I know which race looks leaner generally.

Most asians can't take diary foods, their stomachs don't digest it well. Asians on their traditional diet rarely get fat. smile.gif Move them to the US or Australia and watch their kids blow up sad.gif

That's true. I've never seen Yoosun drink milk, although she likes a capacino now and then. She weighs 48kgs and her weight rarely changes. She's not full on Asian diet all the time, she tends to like western breakfasts, but generally eats Asian style. The main problem I can see with the Korean diet is that for an athlete it would be low on carbs. However if like me you need to lose weight and have a wife that likes to cook traditional Asian, it would be hard not to lose weight.

My problem is I finish work early and am left to my own culinary devices :D we're changing that though :lol:

224826[/snapback]

I don't think it is true at all. I think the truth is that most Asian diets just don't have dairy because because it just isn't their tradition. As a result most Asians don't like dairy. I think you need to remember dairy products are a Nordic tradition and something in its place and time were quite healthy. Those colder climates a bit of fat is probably quite helpful.

Anyway an Asian diet is born of other needs and restrictions, generally hotter climates, less meat due to smaller land area which is generally dedicated to rice paddies. There just isn't enough room for beef cattle and that would be why they eat more chicken, fish and pork. Rice is their main carbohydrate, plenty of veg and some flesh. Generally, Asian food is far less processed, and that I think is the key to its healthy value. Generally Asians want their food as fresh as possible, they literally want it still swimming before it hits the dinner table. It is a fundamental plank in their beliefs about a healthy diet and I think that is why dairy products are eschewed. As we know, not all processed foods are unhealthy, like grain breads but it is something we have had to learn and modify over time.

AP's recommendations are sensible but some of the reasons offered for why, like MB, I find questionable and would defer to science on the matter for good explanations, if not complete explanations. Sadly science has not aquired all the answers but still let's not start consulting shaman just yet.

The other misconception confused in all of this about faster metabolism, is faster alimentary passage and faster absorption. More roughage will make the food pass through your alimentary tract faster but has nothing to do with faster metabolism, or even faster absorption. As far as I know chilly and exercise are the best ways to actually speed up your metabolic rate - of course there may be other methods, as I've done little to no research in this area. On the score of absorption itself some foods, particularly red meat takes longer to break down in the gut, after all it is a tougher substance than most other foods. We all know that right from the start, we masticate our meat alot more than with any old vegetable matter which is pulped easily by our molars.

As MB says it simply comes down to calories in and out. The real question is where does this IN and OUT occur? It is at the cellular level after all and that area isn't all that simple, well at least not if you try to understand it. The calories IN our mouth and burnt OUT of our body through exercise may differ slightly. There can be some tuning and exploitation insulin levels and the way the body absorbs calories. What I'm suggesting is that not all calories IN our mouths go IN to our bodies.

The mixing and elimination of certain food types I think can stop some calory absorption and that is what Atkins high protein diet is based on but then to see the real effect you need to start measuring the calories excreted as well as burnt. This a little bit of trickery that dietry sicence can play on the body, it detects food in the system and signals satiation only not all of it is absorbed, so you don't feel hungry and get less calories. The hope is that the net calories absorbed is less than those burnt and it will lead to weight loss (but still eating plenty and not feeling hungry). This process stands in opposition though, to what AP is talking about when he suggests more efficient absorption and so I leave you to ponder the murkiness of these thoughts and whether you can rely on any knowledge in this universe, without questioning it. :lol::D

Nature doesn't brew her own beer either, and we all know you're not going to lay off the piss Gimli! :lol: