Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions With Steely

Steely, you DTM, Nige (Triboy), Steve Can, me, we're the regular early risers here.....let's go with 10 hard, fast and low questions...are you ready.

1. Steely, mention your real name if you want, sports bio, standard opener, why don't you tell us about Mrs. Steely too...or let her add a few lines as she also does IM?

2. Mate the aborted IMNZ, no need to rehash that....what I am interested in is that you seem to want to go back again....explain please, there are other possible options, quite a few I would think?

3. Steely, what's your strength, which leg do you feel is the most important over OD, how about HIM, IM...when training would you take that into account.

4. Since Mrs. Steely is in fact an IM herself....will she add comments to any of the questions...if not, how do you both train..together or separate?

5. How about training partners, Tri clubs, group sessions...who are the trainng partners and what do they bring to the table?

6. Who is Yo Yo & does he really pull in all those beyaatches. How about, Dingo Dave, Les, Hitman....anything on them?

7. Hey Steely...you are travelling in the Ute, you witness an accident, lonely rural road with no bystanders, you fear people may be seriously injured, what do you do?

(Kamal's comment, although I have stopped a few times for accidents..on one occasion I didn't Mercedes turned over with roof flattened, despite my background it scared the hell out of me, I was on a bike with friends, road race actually, I did not stop on that occasion)

8. Steely, give us again the origin of the names Steely and Steel Avenger please.

9. Steely, your comments on the Brisbane area as a place to live...compare it to where you originally grew up?

10. Marathon running Steely...in AG running is any form of pacemaking, let's say, boyfriend runs with the girlfriend and she ends up winning, is that allowed or not?

11. Do you have anything on the new IM race possibly comng to yor area...is that still a rumour?

12. Mate, I can give you the opportunity to attend any sporting event live, in the world, which one would you choose, al expenses paid?

13. Choose an IM race based on the above?

14. Mate, the bonus, if you have kids, yo may talk about them now.

Thanks Steely, see you soon mate.

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

Steely, you DTM, Nige (Triboy), Steve Can, me, we're the regular early risers here.....let's go with 10 hard, fast and low questions...are you ready.

Thanks K2 happy to chuck my lot into the mix. Yes always been a morning person, helps when you want to get things done and not be interrupted. Althoug it makes it tough to do those 24/48 hour AR or 4wd events.

1. Steely, mention your real name if you want, sports bio, standard opener, why don't you tell us about Mrs. Steely too...or let her add a few lines as she also does IM?

Real name is Dave Crook, and I challenge any one to come up with an orginal joke about my last name. Last one was about 10 years ago.

Onto Sports, well lets say I've done heaps; scoccer, league, union, cricket, baseball, BMX, netball, canoeing, rally driving, 4wd racing, motocross, was a clubbie for a few years, surfing, Adventure raceing, Mountain biking, but the main one was swimming. All but the swimming were very much for fun (except the clubbies stuff, that was for girls, drinking and a place to stay at the beach :lol: ) Swimming was to NSW state level, but most of it was all over by late teens . After the kids arrived I got back into baseball. Shoulders blew up after 2 dislocations, I was told to go swimming to build them back up. I didn't want to get back into the pool again after so many years there so started to play A grade indoor netball instead. Doing this managed to wreck my knees and ankles. Got told to go do some kicking in the pool to strenghten them. Ended up enjoying it. Got suckered into swimming with a team at Noosa in 01, managed a 25 min swimm then was lost and wanted to do the ride. so then I stated that nex year Iw ourl do the whole thing myself. Went back did it ( 2:40 odd) and have kept uping the ante since.

Mrs Steely started tris before I did. In the late 90's we lived "out bush" and both got real fat. She did something about it and when we got back to the city she went into tri's. I soon followed thinking that this was easy :lol:. Look where it's got me.

I'll let Mrs steely add some when she wakes up and finishes her trainer set.

(Haven't completed an Ironman yet. Have done my first OD, first half is Coomera this year and will see how that goes. Love the long distance stuff. As I tell people, it's quantity not quality :D . Just need to make sure you are still there at the end when all the others have dropped off!! Mrs Steely)

2. Mate the aborted IMNZ, no need to rehash that....what I am interested in is that you seem to want to go back again....explain please, there are other possible options, quite a few I would think?

Yes, I want to go back, I loved the place and people, it is a fantastic place for the event. Some of their choices were wrong but many were right. My only complaint was about the time taken to make the choice they did.

Anywhere really, love a good adventure.

3. Steely, what's your strength, which leg do you feel is the most important over OD, how about HIM, IM...when training would you take that into account.

Swim then bike. Been doing both for years and they just come natural. In racing for OD and HIM you need a strong run. IM strong bike run.

I try to get my running going but to date it hasn't really worked. I'm running much better but not to what i think I should be.

4. Since Mrs. Steely is in fact an IM herself....will she add comments to any of the questions...if not, how do you both train..together or separate?

Well not yet she's not (me either) but as Dingo said yesterday she's got mongrel in her and she a very determined person. If she wants it, it gets done!

We try to do as much together as we can, but it's not always possible. She's on the trainer this morning, I'm off to swimming. We'll reverse that this afternoon due to kid's commitments.

5. How about training partners, Tri clubs, group sessions...who are the trainng partners and what do they bring to the table?

I've had a couple of coaches and been with squads but in the end they didn't suit the time I had to fit it all in so had to make my own thing happen.

I have a few training friends some from here but most not. Theres a group that I ride with with some ex pro riders (now over 50 but still very strong) that have helped a lot.

Brett has been around since my first coach and is always up for a ride or whatever, he is just above my level so it's a good work out.

6. Who is Yo Yo & does he really pull in all those beyaatches. How about, Dingo Dave, Les, Hitman....anything on them?

I know who he is but have never meet him so I don't know.

Dingo is great (Jungle Jane too), always up for anything, one of the best blokes out there for anything.

Les, he's on another level for everything, but still a good person if you get to know him.

Hitman, another good guy.

Rocket Salad now he's a whole different story. :D

7. Hey Steely...you are travelling in the Ute, you witness an accident, lonely rural road with no bystanders, you fear people may be seriously injured, what do you do?

I've lived in the bush and been involved in rallying so you help there is no other answer!

(Kamal's comment, although I have stopped a few times for accidents..on one occasion I didn't. Mercedes turned over with roof flattened, despite my background it scared the hell out of me, I was on a bike with friends, road race actually, I did not stop on that occasion)

8. Steely, give us again the origin of the names Steely and Steel Avenger please.

When I started this I only had steel bikes. They weighed so much that on hills I'd come screamin past everybody, Brett started yelling one day as I passed yet again "Here comes the Steel Avenger" and it stuck. Got shortend to Steely by most on here so went with that.

9. Steely, your comments on the Brisbane area as a place to live...compare it to where you originally grew up?

Brissy is great, but not a patch on Northern NSW. Grew up in the very early 80's, had heaps of fun, spent weekends sleeping on the beach and surfing all up and down the caost from Brunswick Heads to Yamba.

10. Marathon running Steely...in AG running is any form of pacemaking, let's say, boyfriend runs with the girlfriend and she ends up winning, is that allowed or not?

Not sure but happens all the time.

11. Do you have anything on the new IM race possibly comng to yor area...is that still a rumour?

Nothing here yet

12. Mate, I can give you the opportunity to attend any sporting event live, in the world, which one would you choose, al expenses paid?

Not one to watch much, I would rather do. If I have to pick maybe a world series 7 game series.

If I were to pick an event to do then Targa Tasmina in a front running vehicle would be top of the list! Or a week blasting around the old full length nurburg ring.

13. Choose an IM race based on the above?

Some where in Europe, France looks good.

14. Mate, the bonus, if you have kids, yo may talk about them now.

Two girls 13 and 10, normal kids so can be both belightful and a pain at times. Love them to death as all parents do. I do struggle with dealing with life issues at time especialy when you've done those things yourself and know what can happen. You try to steer them down the right path but sometimes they have to find their own way.

Mrs Steely has been great too through all this so now it's my turn to repay that by helping her though to the finish line. I was very proud of the Byron effort and then to back it up with her GCM run. She has supported me in more ways than I could have hoped for over the years.

Now my wish is for us to cross a finish line together at an Iron distance event. I'm hoping this could be in Queenstown in 2008 just 4 days after our 20th wedding anniversary.

Thanks Steely, see yo soon mate.

Edited by Steely

Two girls 13 and 10, normal kids so can be both belightful and a pain at times. Love them to death as all parents do. I do struggle with dealing with life issues at time especialy when you've done those things yourself and know what can happen. You try to steer them down the right path but sometimes they have to find their own way.

I can relate to that, I' m right in that spot with my 18 y/o daughter. Everytime I add my 2c worth it ends up in a $200 argument :lol: I just have stand back and give her space and trust that she'll eventually harness that determination she has to do things her way, into doing well for herself. I suppose I can imagine what it's like to have a PIA KIA father harping away too. Hopefully some of the stuff we do, in terms of our sport is leading by example and they find a healthy way of using their extra energy.

oh and Steely, you forgot to say Adventure Racing in your list. You cant leave that one out.

Hey Steely,

What kind of bike do you ride and what colour is it ??

Silver Felt

bugger all carbon

sorry yox2 not much of a man :lol:

215276[/snapback]

oh okay.. nah man i was just trying to figure out if we HAD actually met/ridden in a group together... i was thinking of someone else....