Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions With DTM

DTM, always here by 5 AM, would you please start your 10 Q'S...........now.

1. DTM, mate, standard opener, besides Triathlon, what's your sports background?

2. DTM, professional CV, family status, would you include that too?

3. Thanks Dan, IM history please mate, highs and lows, I know you did one in over 15 hours, like me, that is always a leveler...was that physical limitation or lack of training?

4..DTM having said all that, there is actually a medical problem preventing you from competing further, is that best advice or is it actually prohibited....please explain

5.Mate at 6'4'', that's really a large body to fit on a bike, what's your ride and how do you get the fit right?

6.Dan, as moderator, you have rarely intervened on any post, never having actually been involved in a banning, that being the case, under what circumstances would you intervene? Would you do that or contact the owner first?

7.Baseball question.....with a Bostonian accent, what is a back door slida' ta' Jeta'

You will never get that, explain later.

8. Dan, what, if anything have you or would you put back into the sport...let's say later, when you retire?

9. Mate, what is your overall impression of those enterpreneurial types who make their full time living off triathlon and at times may hold key posts with Tri associations....answer without mentioning names...is there any conflict of interest in that?

10. Dan, are you able to train at all these days....if you could who would you seek out as a training partner.

11. What is your call on the Top 3, TDF, after last night's stage? Are we going to have an Aussie winner there soon?

12. The Bonus. How is the coffee business, is that something you wold do full time one day?

13. DTM, give me an idea, who else would you like to see interviewed here by me or other party?

Thanks DTM, sttill with Le Tour live, I may add more

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

Morning K2 . Yes it is just after 5 am and here I am.

Taking the dog for a walk and then I will do the answers.

DTM, always here by 5 AM, would you please start your 10 Q'S...........now.

1. DTM, mate, standard opener, besides Triathlon, what's your sports background?

At school I played cricket and rugby union with a bit of athletics. outside school played good level cricket for Waverley CC. Got to play with and against Thommo, Pascoe, Rixon, Border etc. Good times except facing Thommo and Pascoe! In my final year at school had a knee reconstruction and never played either again. In those days it was not keyhole surgery I assure you.

Took up sailing and did 11 Hobarts between 1979 and 1994 and a lot of sailing here and overseas including the olympic trials in 1988 in the Star class.

Got bored with sailing and took up triathlon in 94 ( first race BRW) got hooked and raced almost every weekend (because you could in those days).

Did 4 IM's (more later on that) and 2 Long Course worlds.

Took up adventure racing and really enjoyed learning to kayak and mountain bike and navigate etc.

Have gone back to sailing these days . We got into the Australian team for the Admirals Cup last year (then the poms cancelled it)

2. DTM, professional CV, family status, would you include that too?

Straight out of school did a Science degree (majoring in rat behavioural ecology). A good grounding for later careers.Taught at Uni for a couple of years then got into boat sales and then managed a large Toyota dealer. Took a year to be a yacht rigger (and try to learn to make yachts go fast) then did my law degree. I have always been a construction and development lawyer and have my own firm with a great partner.

I have an 18 yo son who I love beyond measure. He is in Europe at the moment (poor little thing). I have a wonderful partner, Elaine who I have been with for over 2 years. She has made my life infinitely better.

3. Thanks Dan, IM history please mate, highs and lows, I know you did one in over 15 hours, like me, that is always a leveler...was that physical limitation or lack of training?

1999, IMNZ 11 hrs 21 min

2002, IMNZ 14 hrs 24 min and IMOZ 14 hrs 5 min (I think)

2003 IMNZ 15 hrs 8 mins

The last three I did on absolutely no training which (with hindsight) was probably not that smart

For 1999 Ben Bright coached me.

4..DTM having said all that, there is actually a medical problem preventing you from competing further, is that best advice or is it actually prohibited....please explain

In November last year I was doing the Hong Kong Trailwalker when I had an heart issue that landed me in hospital for three days. Diagnosed as atrail fibrillation. Came back to Sydney and that diagnosis has been refined to Pulmonary vein tachycardia. It is an electrical fault which is (in the current state of knowledge) inoperable so I take a pill twice a day. Funnily enough it is the same drug as my mum takes! The advice is that I can exercise but not "race" an IM (for example). I think that means I need to be realistic and watch what is going on. The truth is that I have a lot to live for and so I will get fit again and then take a realistic look.

5.Mate at 6'4'', that's really a large body to fit on a bike, what's your ride and how do you get the fit right?

I used to have Klien until it was stolen. I got fitted by Steve Hogg (without lots of silly bits). It worked for me but I understand the criticisms. I now have a new ride that I got from Ben. I need to get out on it but the cold in the morning is not that enticing.

6.Dan, as moderator, you have rarely intervened on any post, never having actually been involved in a banning, that being the case, under what circumstances would you intervene? Would you do that or contact the owner first?

I take that as a compliment K man. It is a bit like being the refereee at the World Cup. You don't see them if they are doing their job.

I actually do a lot of moderation of posts and threads. Often it is just cutting a bit out or deleting a couple of posts but not the actual thread. I usually (but not always) let the people know and I have nearly always found that the "offenders" understand. I do not really believe in too much moderation but I simply look at whether it is over my line. i know that is not a great test but it seems to work. I keep quite a close eye on what is going on.

I do not agree with the bannings and Bernie knows that. I have made representations on several peoples behalf. But it is QB's forum and I respect her right to do what she wants. I think htat the fact that everyone is in fact back (in different guises) means that banning means very little. Les choses to want the les sign in. he and I have discussed that he can come back in another guise (thereby letting both sides win !!!) he doesn't want to.

7.Baseball question.....with a Bostonian accent, what is a back door slida' ta' Jeta'

You might be surprised. I hate the Red Sox, go the Yankees. It is a pitch that cuts across the plate from inside to out. At bat is Derek Jeter.

8. Dan, what, if anything have you or would you put back into the sport...let's say later, when you retire?

I will volunteer in the future also at adventure races (which I do sometimes now). I regret to say that I think that admin of sports like triathlon is just too hard. i spent a long time on sailing committees and that has seriously clouded my desire to be on (say) the triNSW Board.

9. Mate, what is your overall impression of those enterpreneurial types who make their full time living off triathlon and at times may hold key posts with Tri associations....answer without mentioning names...is there any conflict of interest in that?

Good question and an example of quiet moderating!!

I think that there are so few people with an interest in the sport that every person who can and will contribute should be encouraged. Generally i think that you can rely on people exercising responsible decision making and they therfore avoid conflicts of interest. I note that the associations are not the personal fiefdom of an individual so that the other committee members must have had some oversight of the appointment.

10. Dan, are you able to train at all these days....if you could who would you seek out as a training partner.

Taking my answer above, I can train but right now I am doing other things. i hope that will change in the spring. I would like to ride with Ben, swim with Webby and avoid running all together.

11. What is your call on the Top 3, TDF, after last night's stage? Are we going to have an Aussie winner there soon?

I think that the final placings are a long way from being decided. The teams are not nearly as disciplined as Disco/Postal has been in the past under the control of Lance. Because of this I think that there could be at least one "unknown" on the podium. I think Cadel is a real shot at the top 3. I think Landis will also be there.

As to an Aussie winner, I think there is a good shot for Cadel and Rogers in the next three years but they need to control a team that is working just for them.

12. The Bonus. How is the coffee business, is that something you wold do full time one day?

The coffee is a real challenge. Right at the moment I am trying to do a deal with another large grower who has done a lot of marketing work overseas. That is the future and may make the business worthwhile.

I would never do it fulltime.

We won 4 medals at the Easter Show which was pretty satisfying.The area behind Byron Bay where the coffee farm is is just beautiful.

13. DTM, give me an idea, who else would you like to see interviewed here by me or other party?

Try Pee Pee !!! OITC. Nige. Kanangra (or have you interviewed Steve), MMW/jabbs although I think we have most of the answers

Thanks DTM, sttill with Le Tour live, I may add more

Thanks K2. This series has been a great thing for Transitions.

I now have a new ride that I got from Ben. I need to get out on it  but the cold in the morning is not that enticing.

Do what I did last night. Indoor trainer, Tour on TV, glass of Pinot before and after :lol:

You might be surprised. I hate the Red Sox, go the Yankees. It is a pitch that cuts across the plate from inside to out. At bat is Derek Jeter

Slayed me....we must talk baseball some time.

Happy to talk baseball. At one stage I played for a Sydney Uni based team and we had Ian Chappell and Ross Edwards on the team.

You might be surprised. I hate the Red Sox, go the Yankees. It is a pitch that cuts across the plate from inside to out. At bat is Derek Jeter.

214466[/snapback]

Could also be described as a slider that starts outside or inside and appers to be a ball then breaks late either towards or away from the batter for a strike.

Where as a normal slider start out in the stike zone then breaks late, ussally away from the batter.

BTW go the TWINS although haven't watched or played in many years.

Edited by Steely

It is actually a hard breaking ball which starts outside the strike zone, breaking back towards the plate to catch the very outside corner (back door), breaking late like you said Steely.....which, due to the accuracy of your answer, could actually put you Steely in the box for 10 Q's, watch this space.

Milwaukee Brewers, if you must know.

Hi Dan.. I wanted to ask..

Could you tell us about

Julie M

what is she like, how dedicated to training she was, and the time you spent with her...

1971 to 1975/6 (ish).

Green Shield and then Poidevan Grey. Dick Rowlands was the "manager". He and I shared a birthday and for years we had a long pub crawl to celebrate. The hangover was not good.

Tony Greig was there in 1974/75/76.

Ah Gizmo, Julie Moss, I was surprised that the K2 files didn't lead to a question on that topic!!!

I met Julie through a mutual friend before the race at IMNZ in 2003. Although she had an entry for the 25th anniversary Hawaii she wanted to have an IM under her belt that year.

I saw her a couple of times out on the run course (well I was probably walking) during the race and she came back to the finish to see the late finishers. We got together afterwards. For a year we managed a long distance relationship. She came here three or four times I went to Santa Cruz a couple of times and we went to Hawaii for the 25th anniversary race.

She was a spazmodic but still dedicated trainer. Her swimming was strong in her background and she trained quite a lot while she was at the beach. She ran most days and a lot of it was long and slow (learned from/with Mark I guess). The thing I found interesting was that she didn't just run but took time to enjoy the scenery etc. That meant I could "run" with her. Training was just a part of the day. The bike she did in big blocks again long rides.

She had an huge base that she was able to call on and top up with long stuff without being overly dedicated to training. She was really trying to concentrate on being a "mom" to Matts.

Hawaii was a great week or so. We spent lots of time with her friends in the triathlon world. Lots of legends (too many to mention). Mark was a great guy. It was interesting to see how his experiences had rubbed off on Julie. Respect the island and its history. Take the legends of the island seriously.

Julie beat her 1982 time and only fell over after she was across the line!!. She finished in good shape. We took time afterwards for an holiday. People often comment on her "pro coming through" comment on the Hawaii video and see it as arrogant. I think that it was far from it and really showed her confusion about where and what she was/is. Everyone there knows her. That race was the end for her and they had her in as a pro (which would have meant no pressure) she wanted to do it as an age grouper which meant pressure to really race. She managed to resist the absolute race mentality and finish top 5 in her age group.

What was Julie like ? She was a good friend and had a big heart. In the end we didn't work out because it was two worlds colliding (my real world and her sometimes fantasy world) and distance. She was going through a very difficult time with working out what to do with her life. How to use her history, how to be a good mum, where to live, how to make her way in a world that in general didn't know her and yet some parts feted her etc etc. In the end it was her decision to end our relationship. We had a fun year and we both have no regrets.

Demonstrates yet again what a lovely gentle man this Dan of ours is. What a pleasure to know him.

Thanks DTM, good inclusion & great interview after the post scripts.

Guys, it is not that hard to come up with 10-12 Questions....but the respondent makes the thing tick, it's been great fun though. To think the first one was a little joke on Yo Yo & it lead to this.

It is time I think for a few more interviewers to step forward for 10 Q's with any of their mates...that could work very well too.