Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions With Pete

It actually might have something to do with putting the helmet on backwards..not sure....hey Pete, thanks for agreeing to appear this morning. Let's go with 10 questions.....are you ready?

1. Pete, your sports bio please, since childhood. How did you get into triathlon?

2. Pete, couple of IM's done, one carrying an injury, would you like to mention anything about that?

3. Another IM, or maybe later?

4. Pete, what weight do race at, what are your seasonal fluctuations?

5. Mate, who are you training with at this time & what do those guys bring to the table?

6. Pete, for a guy at your level, what kind of 10k run time would be optimal? How about off the bike? What strategy would you employ to get there or get back there?

7. Pete, another bambino in the oven and getting closer now, how is Mrs Beaker ??? (guessing, is that the name) getting on...and will it impact future training? What about impact on future generations (joke)?

8. OK, you are in the car passing Sydney, nice and early, you can just make Port by 5PM and check into the accomodation....Mrs. Pete now says....darling I was hoping to take the kids to Sea World, do we have time for that? How do you respond?

9. Pete, as a tech. freak, do you do your own bike maintainence? If not which bike shop would you go to in Melbourne?

10. Pete, you spent time overseas including the Middle East...do you still have business over there?

11. Hey mate, you are often picked on by the WSTC crew, why is that?

12. AFL....mate banana kick crosses the boundary line on the full but comes back into play, is that allowed?

13. The Bonus....anything else you want to mention? A free dig at anyone allowed here?

Thanks Pete...yes it was hard to think up the Q's, hope it goes ok.

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

Guest The Grinch

2. :lol:

4. :lol:

6. :D

9. :D

11. Gold

13. Knock yourself out Beaks

Can't wait. Make it good Beaks

It actually might have something to do with putting the helmet on backwards..not sure....hey Pete, thanks for agreeing to appear this morning. Let's go with 10 questions.....are you ready?

1. Pete, your sports bio please, since childhood. How did you get into triathlon?

No sports background at all. Had a problem with my heels as a youngster and a shooting accident as a teenager put me out of sports completely. In fact, I would spend more time trying to get out of sports than into them.

Was a very heavy smoker and drinker till late twenties and started running to help give up smoking. Saw Keiren Perkins win the pier to pub just before Barcelona and it made me want to swim. That year I learn’t to swim and the following year I did Lorne myself. Did a few aquathons for my first taste of multisport and then did a couple a really short sprint tri for a bet. Have loved them ever since.

2. Pete, couple of IM's done, one carrying an injury, would you like to mention anything about that?

IM is a great achievement. I wasn’t and still not really ready for a good one, so a finish is all I am really after. And what a finish! Fast or slow, can anybody say that crossing the line on your first IM is not one of your most memorable experiences?

I smashed my clavicle at Torquay prior to IM2005. The bone was in broken into three big pieces and I was told I could maybe start light exercise in 6 to 8 weeks. Completing the Forster swim exactly 6 weeks later was one of the most satisfying things I have ever done. (the rest of my race was pretty crappy, but I think I was lucky just to be there)

3. Another IM, or maybe later?

It’s just so bloody expensive with family and kids, and I need to get to Europe next year for a family holiday. We’ll see how Shep works out, and the stock market is taking a turn for the best so it’s not out of the question.

4. Pete, what weight do race at, what are your seasonal fluctuations?

I think I got down to sub 90kgs for IMOZ05 but generally weigh in at 92 to 96 kilos. I’m not that big really, I’m just heavy…

5. Mate, who are you training with at this time & what do those guys bring to the table?

Doing a fair bit of training with WAMATT at the moment – he is a better athlete but he is a little off the pace. I try and thrash him and he returns the favour. It must be working I am improving enormously since I started training with him.

Infrequent poster PastyBoy is another great training partner – very experience endurance athlete and a good running mentor. Also enjoy a run with GSP now and again.

I’ve been doing spin sessions with Annie Martin’s training group. She’s the closest thing I have to a coach and gives me lotsa good advice. Annie can pull an A/G win in Kona on half the strength and training than most of us – she is a master of efficiency. I’ll never be efficient but I am improving heaps with her advice.

6. Pete, for a guy at your level, what kind of 10k run time would be optimal? How about off the bike? What strategy would you employ to get there or get back there?

For a while I was doing track to improve my 5 and 10 k times but, whilst my 1500 times improved outasight I never achieved my goals over the longer distance. I think hard middle distance running, hill work and the extra cardio afforded by big bike miles has paid off for me, achieving sun 20mins for 5k for the first time in 4 or 5 years.

I think the 40 minute 10k is the holy grail of the MOP athlete, 42 – 43 minutes is a reasonable expectation.

7. Pete, another bambino in the oven and getting closer now, how is Mrs Beaker ??? (guessing, is that the name) getting on...and will it impact future training? What about impact on future generations (joke)?

Yes, very close now. Helen is really at the end of her tether. Baby is due on the 19th of this month so watch this space. I won’t crap on about kids too much, but I am completely besotted by my kids – can you ever hug or kiss them too much?! I am probably a little old for new kids really – training is my way to keep father time at bay and hopefully lead an active life with my kids well into my 70s.

8. OK, you are in the car passing Sydney, nice and early, you can just make Port by 5PM and check into the accomodation....Mrs. Pete now says....darling I was hoping to take the kids to Sea World, do we have time for that? How do you respond?

Ha Ha – exactly that happened on the way to IMNZ. It was the registration day, but we HAD to go shopping and I was freaking out with the time. In all the panic I took my eyes of my phone and it was stolen. We had the biggest barney ever and, with a bit of fast driving, ended up at rego with about 30 minutes to spare.

Short answer to your question, after NZ: “No f&*ing way!!”

9. Pete, a a tech. freak, do you do your own bike maintainence? If not which bike shop would you go to in Melbourne?

I used to fix motorbikes for pocket money as a kid and later guitar amps and PA systems and completed an engineering degree at uni - love mechanical and electrical things so I like to do my own maintenance – I think the more time you put into a bike the more time you want to spend on it. Every bike shop I have ever been to has caused problems in some way or other (sometimes with catastrophic consequences), so you really need to take responsibility for at least checking your bike yourself.

I think the trick with a bike shop is not so much the shop, but knowing someone well at the shop. You tend to get dudded when the guy doesn't know you. I value my relationship with Paul at Willy's, the Salter family at Salter's, Matt at BikeNow, Bill at Fitzroy and Anthony at CBD. If I need something important I won't bother unless I can talk to a familiar face.

10. Pete, you spent time overseas including the Middle East...do you still have business over there?

Looking good for Saudi at the moment – if that comes off I will drop in and say G’day. Also looking at a couple of other contracts in some other Gulf states as well. I am a bit of a culture junkie and I love languages. I can read the Arabic script pretty well, but my vocab is still a long way off.

11. Hey mate, you are often picked on by the WSTC crew, why is that?

Not 100% sure. I can get pretty enthusiastic about things and I think that can rub people up the wrong way. I still can’t comprehend me being an athlete – after smoking more than 93,000 cigarettes (in the days of the good ol’ 25mg smokes) and getting around with bullet in my chest from aforementioned shooting accident, I just don’t belong - but here I am. I can’t believe it, and maybe sometimes I am a little TOO happy about it….?

12. AFL....mate banana kick crosses the boundary line on the full but comes back into play, is that allowed?

Probably not – but you gotta run with it don’t you? I mean it LOOKS great!

13. The Bonus....anything else you want to mention? A free dig at anyone allowed here?

No digs – they tend to come back and bite you. Only 2 things I’d like to say is a big thanks to K2 for his efforts for this great series of questions.

The other thing is to plug the WSTC Duathlon series and push as many Trannies as I can to get down there this Sunday for Race 3 in our winter series!

Thanks Pete...yes it was hard to think up the Q's, hope it goes ok.

Inchala!

after smoking more than 93,000 cigarettes (in the days of the good ol’ 25mg smokes) and getting around with bullet in my chest from aforementioned shooting accident...

Bloody hell Pete, racking up a few IMs after that lot, now that's impressive!

Short answer to your question, after NZ: “No f&*ing way!!”

Which coincidentally explains why K2 is on marriage No.3, she said go, I said no, but she went anyway :lol:

Pete,

If you were a true fan of the middle east, you should know that you should have taken a few extra days to answer these questions - any problems? ah inchala!

:lol:

Well done Pete and K2, great questions and answers. Pete is one of the real good guys in the Peleton. He hit the ground really hard at Torquay and still fronted for IM, not that's committment!

Looking forward to seeing that big smile at Shepp this year mate, and competing against you for many years to come! :lol:

I’m not that big really, I’m just heavy…

He ain't heavy, he's my brother..... :lol::D ( reckon it's that big heart he carries around!)

Top bloke that Pete :lol:

He's a cool dude our Pete. Everyone at the club thinks highly of him and I think thats why he gets a bit of stick, in the nicest way. Every club should have their own "Pete".

No you can't have ours, go and find your own.

See ya sunday dude.

Thanks Pete. Top stuff. Who said there was no friendly people or fun in Triathlon anymore?

Good luck at Shepo and with the stock market mate. And hey if you decide not to go IM and wanna do a marathon instead, bring the family down here for a holiday in November on the Melb cup weekend :lol:

Come on Beaker, don't hold back, a few more

(a) Tell us about the origin of Fantapants

(:lol: Tell us about your join the dots games you play on your arm with the tins.

© Give us your best impersonation of a giraffe just shot by a tranquilizer running through a finish chute.

(d) Talk us through the Fierce Berry saga

(e) What's the reasoning for introducing the teenage hipster look into Triathlons?

(f) What happened to your belly button piercing?

(g) Where do you get the OH&S glasses you race in?

(h) How many 500ml tubs of sunscreen do you go through for a 1/2IM run leg?

(i) Did Tom Hanks ever find you when you floated off when he dozed off on the raft?

(j) Did you hear Tom Hanks screaming out your name as you floated off?

(k) What is your preferred angle you like to have the front of you cap positioned at?

(l) Tell us about the "dogging" of the last run during the Triple Brick earlier this year? Were you soft?

Anyhow Beaks, keep up the good work, you do great work behind the scenes for the WSTC and it is appreciated by all.

Hey guys.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I just checked what I wrote about Helen's due date and it hit me - struth! Less than 6 days to go...?!

I might take up K2s offer about 'anything else you'd like to mention'...

I should have added that Reefy's triathlog is a big part of my training, I've been using it for a long time, and the information it provides is invaluable - thanks Pete! Thanks for all your help for WSTC in years gone by and thanks for... well, I think everyone knows that Reefy does a lot of good things, but I think they are only seeing the tip of the iceberg... :lol:

Greyman - I'd like to give you big public thank you for helping Helen out with my gear at Torquay when I was on my way to hospital. When the chips are down you are a good mate to have alongside! :lol:

Will, thanks for helping me out with some bike stuff a while back. You are a generous and helpful guy, and I hope I can return the favour.:D

Hymie - Mate, remember that beer at awards night? You probably don't know it but it had a big impact on me. Made me proud of my achievements and proud to call you (and Stace) a mate. :D

Foxy - "I did but see her passing by, And yet I love her till I die" :D;)

There are some really great Trannies, but if you mention one you gotta mention 'em all so, much as I'd love to, I'd better not - I haven't got that much time! ;)

Thanks again!

PW

Guest The Grinch

How about:

A) How did you manage to land rolls in the following:

The Cooler

It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie

Jurassic Park III

Happy, Texas

Wag the Dog

Boogie Nights

Fargo

(:lol: Tell us about your join the dots games you play on your arm with the tins.

© Give us your best impersonation of a giraffe just shot by a tranquilizer running through a finish chute.

(e) What's the reasoning for introducing the teenage hipster look into Triathlons?

(i) Did Tom Hanks ever find you when you floated off when he dozed off on the raft?

(k) What is your preferred angle you like to have the front of you cap positioned at?

(l) Tell us about the "dogging" of the last run during the Triple Brick earlier this year?  Were you soft?

Anyhow Beaks, keep up the good work, you do great work behind the scenes for the WSTC and it is appreciated by all.

214216[/snapback]

:lol::D:D:D

I'll give it my best shot, but these questions are much harder than K2's!!! Might take a while.... ;)

Hey Pete,

Your biggest asset is your enthusiasm - don't forget that. That's what we like about you.

Pasty

I'll give it my best shot, but these questions are much harder than K2's!!! Might take a while.... 

Still waiting....

Come on Beaker, what's the hold up??

215084[/snapback]

OK, but only on the condition that you spill the beans on your infamous Beach Road encounter with Mitch Anderson (the one where you explained to him what an Ironman Triathlon was..?!) – the full dialog please!

Sorry, but I really have no idea what you are talking about – and I don’t want to know, either! :lol:

Tell us about your join the dots games you play on your arm with the tins.

Is this about my freckles? Yes, I have lotsa freckles! :D

Give us your best impersonation of a giraffe just shot by a tranquilizer running through a finish chute.

Is this my IM finishes? Yes, I tried to show I had a bit left in the tank so I “picked up the pace” and lifted my stride a bit. On the video I actually look like a duck waddling through thick mud. My second IM I tried to look more relaxed. It was even worse… :huh:

Sprint distance? Ha! That’s no tranquiliser – I’m giraffe on speed! In the past couple of months I’ve improved my bike and run speed dramatically and achieved 4 x PB’s in a row over sprint distance!! I even PB’d a lap of the Tan last week. :D

No. It is too traumatic. I just can’t bear to talk about it. :o

Bec at WSTC assured me that this was my size! I think maybe I suffer a curse from mother nature – the short legs and long torso!! :gathering:

WTF?! No piercings Maybe you are conusing it with a bit of lint caught in there or something?! :drunk:

Oh yes, them. A mate gave them to me on a ride last year. I thought they were pretty spiffy at the time. They weren’t. Fortunately I lost them on a ride to Geelong a while back and replaced them with a pair of even spiffier Ryders. ;)

When you are my colour you need to cover yourself completely with Sun screen or you get terrible burns in the spots you miss. After IMOZ2005 I had a burn the size of a 50c piece that could’ve been made with a blow torch. Fark it hurt in the days following. So how do you get 100% coverage in a hurry? Use heaps of it! It must look a bit stooopid, right? :blink:

WILSON – yes, my face can tend to look a little like the bloody hand-print on the Castaway’s volleyball. Guilty! :D

Was that Tom, or Dazzle?! :gathering:

I think I have some kind of ingrained problem here – I can NEVER put a cap on straight. Is this some kind of sartorial dyslexia maybe..?! :lol:

(l) Tell us about the "dogging" of the last run during the Triple Brick earlier this year? Were you soft?

Mate, I fear your “girl’s blouse” jibes with all my heart, but there is one thing I fear EVEN more. The wrath of the missus! I had to get home under pain of death to do something of earth-shattering importance, like going shopping for terracotta pots maybe. ;)

And today is the bub's due date - waiting for the fateful phone call... ;);)

Guest The Grinch

215084[/snapback]

And today is the bub's due date - waiting for the fateful phone call... :lol::lol:

215601[/snapback]

If Bubs is late and Mrs Beaker starts getting contractions at 6:55pm on Saturday the 22nd of July, will you be chucking her the keys to the Beemer and saying "adios" whilst you taxi it up to the WSTC Presentation night?

If Bubs is late and Mrs Beaker starts getting contractions at 6:55pm on Saturday the 22nd of July, will you be chucking her the keys to the Beemer and saying "adios" whilst you taxi it up to the WSTC Presentation night?

215602[/snapback]

Certainly not!! :lol:

The beemer is a manual and she can only drive an auto. She'll have to take the commodore... :lol:

215084[/snapback]

OK, but only on the condition that you spill the beans on your infamous Beach Road encounter with Mitch Anderson (the one where you explained to him what an Ironman Triathlon was..?!) – the full dialog please!

Sorry, but I really have no idea what you are talking about – and I don’t want to know, either! :lol:

Tell us about your join the dots games you play on your arm with the tins.

Is this about my freckles? Yes, I have lotsa freckles! :D

Give us your best impersonation of a giraffe just shot by a tranquilizer running through a finish chute.

Is this my IM finishes? Yes, I tried to show I had a bit left in the tank so I “picked up the pace” and lifted my stride a bit. On the video I actually look like a duck waddling through thick mud. My second IM I tried to look more relaxed. It was even worse… :blink:

Sprint distance? Ha! That’s no tranquiliser – I’m giraffe on speed! In the past couple of months I’ve improved my bike and run speed dramatically and achieved 4 x PB’s in a row over sprint distance!! I even PB’d a lap of the Tan last week. ;)

No. It is too traumatic. I just can’t bear to talk about it. :huh:

Bec at WSTC assured me that this was my size! I think maybe I suffer a curse from mother nature – the short legs and long torso!! :o

WTF?! No piercings Maybe you are conusing it with a bit of lint caught in there or something?! :gathering:

Oh yes, them. A mate gave them to me on a ride last year. I thought they were pretty spiffy at the time. They weren’t. Fortunately I lost them on a ride to Geelong a while back and replaced them with a pair of even spiffier Ryders. ;)

When you are my colour you need to cover yourself completely with Sun screen or you get terrible burns in the spots you miss. After IMOZ2005 I had a burn the size of a 50c piece that could’ve been made with a blow torch. Fark it hurt in the days following. So how do you get 100% coverage in a hurry? Use heaps of it! It must look a bit stooopid, right? :ninja:

WILSON – yes, my face can tend to look a little like the bloody hand-print on the Castaway’s volleyball. Guilty! :D

Was that Tom, or Dazzle?! ;)

I think I have some kind of ingrained problem here – I can NEVER put a cap on straight. Is this some kind of sartorial dyslexia maybe..?! :lol:

Mate, I fear your “girl’s blouse” jibes with all my heart, but there is one thing I fear EVEN more. The wrath of the missus! I had to get home under pain of death to do something of earth-shattering importance, like going shopping for terracotta pots maybe. :drunk:

And today is the bub's due date - waiting for the fateful phone call... ;):gathering:

215601[/snapback]

Pete great answers to all questions.

Its no wonder the boys like hanging poo on you, your witty retorts are much funnier than their jibes.

"Twas a pleasure to meet you "over the fence" at Forster :D

Good luck with the bubs too!

Makes me want to join WSTC....

But I am disappointed Pete - Helen was meant to have the baby on Mitch's birthday...yesterday..... :lol:

All the best (and some trannie better text me with the news while I'm away in case I don't get on the internet...I wanna know!!!)

Guest Freak
Makes me want to join WSTC....

Wash your mouth out young lady, although it is safer, they just handed all the knives in for lollies.... :lol:

Wash your mouth out young lady, although it is safer, they just handed all the knives in for lollies.... :D

215707[/snapback]

All this from a Franger boy :lol::lol: