Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions With Web Swim

Web Swim, thanks for appearing mate...going blind on a couple of these questions, mate, so bear with me.

1. Doncha, sports bio mate, with an emphasis on the swimming background, please.

2. Web Swim, you did mention representing Ireland or swimming in the Nationals there....did you do that?

3. Mate, any first hand knowlege of drug useage in that era.....were PED's widely available, strictly under the table, or perhaps available in other European countries?

4. Any contact with triple Olympic Gold swimmer Michelle Smith? Any comment?

5. Thanks WS, and may I ask you about your Tri debut, posted here, I thought you might have done a bit more by now, potentially any way, How's it going?

6. Yet mate you did post a somewhat ambitious running program, that's also gone...what's happened?

7. Mate, could you name an athlete who played RU for Ireland at the highest level and who also appeared in the European Cup, soccer...early round, 1 appearance?

8.Mate, given the choice between a really good night out with the girlfriend, or an early training session with friends, which do you choose?

9. Why did you join Transitions?

10. Some of the stuff you put up suggests a background in IT, is that what you do?

11. Web Swim, I would say you posses a good gen. sports knowlege...which sports do you follow closely at this time?

12. Mate, you first came here as a tourist didn't you, and then decided to immigrate, is that how it went?

13. The bonus. Which Trannies have you actually met, Jimmy C. and who else?

Thank you for that Doncha.

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

1. Doncha, sports bio mate, with an emphasis on the swimming background, please.

BTW, it's Donncha :lol:

Sports background? Well, I took up swimming and gymnastics when I was 6 or 7, then after a couple of years it came time to choose one over the other and I went with swimming. Never played any other sport, though going to a private school meant Rubgy was compulsory. The school coaches figured I'd be a really good winger, but I wasn't interested as all I knew of rugby was that you got injured a lot and I didn't want it to affect my swimming. So, secure in the knowledge that the Ds never had to play matches at the weekend, I'd go to compulsory training and act the bollix to ensure I never made it on to the Cs. Worked a treat :lol:

2. Web Swim, you did mention representing Ireland or swimming in the Nationals there....did you do that?

Yes. Won the 100m Fly at senior Nationals first in '91, almost breaking the national record, and racked up a 3rd for the 200m Fly. Ended up ranked 10th in the world after that meet, but only because very few other countries had held their Nationals at that stage. It still looks good on paper though! :D Finished up ranked 76th in the world at the end of the year. In 1996, I again won the 100m Fly and also added the 50m Fly and a couple of relays, though to be honest I wasted my best swimming years. 1991 was my breakthrough year. I'd always been a finalist at junior level, but that was when I showed I could win regularly at Senior level. Instead of knuckling down to hard work, I went to Uni and got on the piss and took up smoking??? Net result was that I only represented Ireland at two international meets. According to my coaches, I was blessed with talent, but cursed with a lack of motivation.

3. Mate, any first hand knowlege of drug useage in that era.....were PED's widely available, strictly under the table, or perhaps available in other European countries?

Nope. Swimming in Ireland is strictly amateur. The public has no interest and there is zero money in it so there'd be no point on getting on the gear. Coming over here was an eye-opener! A swimming race (one of Perkin's 1500s) as the most watched sporting event of the year!

4. Any contact with triple Olympic Gold swimmer Michelle Smith? Any comment?

Hah! This one is a whole saga on its own! No contact now, though back in the day I knew her to say hi to and she was reasonably good mates with my sister who was constantly on various Irish teams with Michelle (my sister had the motivation thing I lacked).

Was she doped? Almost certainly, though it was never officially confirmed. She got banned for tampering with a sample, not for testing positive. I got myself in to a LOT of trouble with this around the time of the 96 Olympics. I spent quite a bit of time on a swimming newsgroup that I helped found and there was a massive debate on whether or not Michelle was clean. It quickly devolved into Americans saying she was dirty, and everyone else saying she was clean but none of the participants knew anything about the issue. I sat down and wrote a four-page post saying that "I agreed with those who suspected she might have doped" and listing all the reasons why I thought so thinking it would add some facts to the debate, which it did. Thought nothing more of it until I started getting calls from various news organisations who'd read my article and wanted official comment. Apparently even Sports Illustrated journos were walking around with copies and using it as a base for their investigations into the issue! As mentioned previously, I'd won Nationals again that year and was back on the National team, so my words carried a far greater weight than I thought they would. Long story short: Michelle threatened to sue, but she had no case as I hadn't said she was on drugs, merely said I agreed with those who suspected she was. In legal terms this wasn't libel. There were some dirty tricks where journos friendly to Michelle got my home number and rang trying to get me to say she was on something, but I wasn't falling for that one.

The rise of Michelle sparked off my interest in PEDs. Not for taking them, but just to educate myself about the issue. At the time I was 185cm and a lean 78kg with a standard swimmer's build. She was approx. 165cm and had wider shoulders & bigger pecs than me. I was never one for the weights, but that was ridiculous.

5. Thanks WS, and may I ask you about your Tri debut, posted here, I thought you might have done a bit more by now, potentially any way, How's it going?

I'd turned into a lard arse since coming to Oz and wanted to get fit again, but I also wanted to get out and do different events. Triathlon was part of that, as was adventure racing, MTBing, snowboarding and more. I wanted to try a few different things rather than just doing triathlons, so at this stage I've done 2 tris, 3 adventure races and a couple of runs, including a half-mara. I was keen to do an 8hr MTB race in August but it clashes with a mate's engagement party so I can't.

IM gets romanticised a bit on here, and I might do one some day, but at the moment I'm happy enough doing some shorter stuff without being too serious about it. Next tri will most likely be Nepean, then another Kurnell, then it all goes on hold for a while as I'm moving to Canada for a year of snowboarding ;)

I'll get back in to tris when I get back though.

6. Yet mate you did post a somewhat ambitious running program, that's also gone...what's happened?

The usual injury niggles which affect any over-enthusiastic new runner. 20 years of swimming is great for general fitness, but swimming's completely non-impact, so my legs/knees/hips weren't used to 90+kg pounding the pavement. No serious injuries, but one benefit of swimming is that I listen to what my body's telling me and tend to play it safe. I want to be active for the rest of my life, and let's face it I'm not likely to win anything, so I'll quite happily take time off rather than risk further damage.

I was pretty happy with my first half-mara, and thought that now that I'd managed to run 21.1km I could put together a regular running schedule and would really be able to improve my run leg. A 54min split in an OD leaves a lot of room for improvement. However, I've had quite a few niggles around my knees and ankles since finishing that race, a legacy of upping the distance too much, too soon, so I haven't run for a few weeks now. I also haven't been cycling since it was bloody freezing in June, but the Tour has me inspired and I got back on the bike last week. I'm introducing running into the program this week and will take it from there. Have also started doing some core stuff, and some balance exercises to help build up all those small little stabilising muscles.

7. Mate, could you name an athlete who played RU for Ireland at the highest level and who also appeared in the European Cup, soccer...early round, 1 appearance?

Nope :D

8.Mate, given the choice between a really good night out with the girlfriend, or an early training session with friends, which do you choose?

Night out with the missus. She wouldn't be too happy if I chose training over her!

9. Why did you join Transitions?

I used to post a lot on SlowTwitch when I first went looking for triathlon information and it was while on there that I first heard about here. I can't remember if it was a serious topic or from one of Gunther's "raids" to terrorise the Yanks, but I found it nonetheless. Joined to learn about tris and the local scene, stayed to talk shite and banter with all the characters I found here :D

I got some good info from posters on ST, but the on-topic stuff can be a bit too serious, and the off-topic involves debating Creationists, gun junkies and extreme patriots, which I got sick of doing. I'm an atheist and anti-religion, but I can understand why people believe in a god, but I never thought I'd come across someone who believes that their god created the whole universe in literally 6 days and that evolution is a load of rubbish. I've an extremely low tolerance for idiots, so I no longer bother with ST at all.

10. Some of the stuff you put up suggests a background in IT, is that what you do?

Yep, I'm an IT contractor writing security software for the tax office at the moment.

11. Web Swim, I would say you posses a good gen. sports knowlege...which sports do you follow closely at this time?

Mainly football (the genuine one, not the cheap imitations ;)). Been a haphazard Liverpool fan since I was 7. Started going to the Sydney FC A-League games here last year and was pleasantly surprised. Got myself a jersey and am looking forward to the start of the new season. Used to follow Formula One closely, but it's too predictable now and I've lost interest. Moto GP is good though, particularly the 125s and 250s. Used to watch Golden 4 athletics & the Tour back in Ireland. Have gotten back into the Tour now that SBS has live coverage. My Uni mates, a few of whom are out here too, are into Union, and I've loads of Aussie/Kiwi/Saffa mates so I end up watching most of the Test & some Super 14 games.

12. Mate, you first came here as a tourist didn't you, and then decided to immigrate, is that how it went?

Nope. Got sent over here on business for three months and loved the place. Had a couple of good mates who were over here on backpacker visas and were arranging business sponsorship so they could stay, so I went back to Dublin and asked for a transfer to the Sydney office. They said yes and I've been here since 1999. Got made redundant in 2002 so found an agency to take over my sponsorship and started contracting. I'm in the process of doing my residency at the moment, with the intention of becoming a citizen. Just have to wait for the bureaucracy to go through its paces.

13. The bonus. Which Trannies have you actually met, Jimmy C. and who else?

Yep, did my swim training with Jimmy before he became a redneck :gathering: Have met quite a few others including Yurtie, Roxii, Mooze, Big Chris, Brick, Highwayman, Gizmo, Froggo, Rooster, Tim G, TJ01 and plenty more. Going to the races with the T hat on is a great experience. From randoms coming up and introducing themselves, to spectators cheering you on from the crowd. I look forward to meeting many more of you over the course of my tri career.

BTW, thanks K2 for my 15 minutes of fame. I'd like to thank God, my parents, my manager etc. etc ;)

Edited by WebSwim

7. Mate, could you name an athlete who played RU for Ireland at the highest level and who also appeared in the European Cup, soccer...early round, 1 appearance

When Ollie Campbell came into the side he displaced another sport icon from the same era..in fact this guy was move to centre on ocassion to accomodate Ollie...his soccer club played a first round Euro Cup match aganst Liverpool, I think.

You didn't happen to be crusing around Farkurnell on Saturday morning with an Irish cycling jersey on ? :lol:

No, that would be braveheart, Roxxi's mate.

213613[/snapback]

Mad Billy? He's a funny bastard to ride next to, a grumpy angry swearing bastard mostly :lol::lol: probably hiding a heart of gold.

Good to hear about your background Webswim. I'll second Yurtie's comments, we need more voices of reason in a place like this. Would you like a job leading the federal ALP? Kym is only doing it because he thinks no one else is good enough :D

Good stuff Webby - was gonna suggest you for 10 Q's. Interesting reading

He's a funny bastard to ride next to, a grumpy angry swearing bastard mostly

sounds like someone I have ridden with... :lol::lol:

Would you like a job leading the federal ALP? Kym is only doing it because he thinks no one else is good enough :lol:

Nope. I'm doing my best not to become a fat bastard :lol:

When Ollie Campbell came into the side he displaced another sport icon from the same era..in fact this guy was move to centre on ocassion to accomodate Ollie...his soccer club played a first round Euro Cup match aganst Liverpool, I think.

Still no idea K2. However, some more trivia. I went to the same school as Ollie (although he was there before my time), and when Ireland won the Triple Crown in 84, Ollie came in to the school to say hi and requested that we got no homework for a day :lol:

Great read Webswim. Really impressed about your swimming resume. Mate, to be ranked 10th in the world for anything at anytime is impressive. It was great to meet you and hope that you enjoy your trip overseas. Keep wearing that "T" cap and that smile on your dial.

Yep, did my swim training with Jimmy before he became a redneck

yeh the rest of us swam hard and Webswim did recovery drills for 1hr so he didnt lap us every 10 mins

sometimes he even took the trouble of kicking off the wall and would put 10 metres on me in the process

oh he has a great suntan too

Edited by Jimmy C

Mad Billy? He's a funny bastard to ride next to, a grumpy angry swearing bastard mostly  probably hiding a heart of gold.

I thought that too, until he called the pack over into the next lane into the path of an on-coming 18 wheeler. A real gem, and one of Roxxi's closest mates

I thought that too, until he called the pack over into the next lane into the path of an on-coming 18 wheeler

Not Mad Billy ....... Silly Billy

I was right behind Silly Billy when he called the pack over , he then looked around and "hopped" back into the left lane when the 18 wheeler thundered thu.

"Heart of Gold" ? I would like to love him with an axe.

BC :lol:

Good stuff Webby - was gonna suggest you for 10 Q's.  Interesting reading

He's a funny bastard to ride next to, a grumpy angry swearing bastard mostly

sounds like someone I have ridden with... :D:lol:

213639[/snapback]

That's a bit harsh Foxy, Wolfman doesn't swear that much :lol::D:D

15. How do you pronounce your name?

Dun-uh-ka :lol:

213829[/snapback]

Cool. Does it translate into anything? Like Bob or Gunther or something?

That reminds me. I was in a restaraunt eating brekfast in Dublin a few years ago and I was amazed that nearly all the early 20s folk were speaking Irish to one another. The only time I had heard it before was at the presentations of the Hurling grand final. Very mesmerising language i thought. Good to see the younger people still embrace it.

My only beef is that Mna and Fir seem back to front on the dunny doors in Irish pubs. When I am pissed, Mna looks like Man and Fir is...well...where the Fir go.... :lol:

Edited by Plazbot

That's weird. I'd have headed for the Mna door for sure. :lol: But hey it'd be a good honest reason to have a bit of a look I guess... :lol:

Bit OT, but that reminds me of the dunny doors at little aths here. The boys door has got 'blokes' on it, and the girls has got... 'girls' (yeah it shoulda been 'shelias', but maybe they thought it'd be derogatory or something...). Still, the 'blokes' sign is pretty cool.

When you come out of the toilets in Ireland, do you have that Mna Mna song stuck in your head?

When you come out of the toilets in Ireland, do you have that Mna Mna song stuck in your head?

214306[/snapback]

That depends on what you go in there to "do-do-do-do-do-do" :lol::lol:

This is how thick I am.

The name of his site is "swim on donncha" or similar.

Well I thought the word "donncha" was a type of hip word for "why dont you"

LIke beeyatches, and sick..... :D:D with a black rap theme like

didnt realise it was his name !! :lol::lol::D

Me too Gunth,

Good Stuff Webby - a great read. I knoew you were a good swimmer - didn't know how good. Thanks for your advice and posts.