Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions With Gizmo

Dave, look mate, I put together all that stuff you sent me, great read, took me a while to get through it.....I added up all those nos. and figured out you must be at least 83 years old....and yes, I can finally say...gee these beers taste good, just had one light beer after 6 months...cheers.

1. Gizmo, everyone gets a chance to post a brief sports bio...would you do that please?

2. Dave, did you mention your work as a personal trainer, shared with your partner and biggest supporter...would you speak about that please?

3.Mate, moving forward to triathlon, I know you have done a few, but how did you actually get started in the sport?

4. Giz, thanks and kindly mention the highs and lows up to this point.

5. Thanks, Dave, but yet to do the big one, let alone qualify, what's the strategy for that? Given that you have spectated, I think it is only natural to now want to do the race (Port),how important is that to you at this point?

6. And Giz, let's assume you finally do get there, but partner for unavoidable reason cannot attend..how do you react?

7. Mate, watching a Rugby League match....clear break, try line begging, final pass hits the ground legal, not forward...but takes a uncanny roll forward into the touch in goal. Attacking player touches it down....try or no try?

8. Gizmo, per what you told me, self employed running your own small business, plus a full time job, plus having the personal trainer clients....that's enough, now how do you fit any training in around that schedule?

9. Dave, what in your opinion makes the difference between a guy who likes a drink & another individual who needs drinks on a daily basis...use yourself as an example or generalise?

10. Mate, let's drop back to your surfing background. As I understand you followed the bohemian lifestyle for a while, of course no way to go back there now, but can you reminisce and tell us what it's like riding waves every day with nothing else to worry about?

11. The Bonus, does swimming in the open water, surf or plain, make you a better swimmer..as a strong swimmer, how much of that comes from the beach and how much from the pool...I know it's a bit of both...but for a strong IM swim which is more important?

12. Under which circumstances can we win back the Ashes and who might be the key players next time? Will Glen McGrath play or not? As a selector what would you have to see from Glen to regain his test place?

13. And the inevitable..mate I will always remember talking to you on the phone at Port, nice little chat of about 2 minutes and I did mention my name....then you hit me your absolutely broadest Oz accent, one of the broadest I have ever heard, "Who's this", you say...your comment now?

Thanks Dave for appearing ths morning. Hope you enjoyed it?

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

As a selector what would you have to see from Glen to regain his test place?

I can answer that. He is going to need to play cricket. And with the first pura cup game is not until 28-10-06 he is going to need to roll his arm over somewhere having a run for his club side is as good as anywhere. Rumour has it R Ponting might be looking for a run with his 'local' club also.......... :lol::lol:

As a selector what would you have to see from Glen to regain his test place?

I can answer that. He is going to need to play cricket. And with the first pura cup game is not until 28-10-06 he is going to need to roll his arm over somewhere having a run for his club side is as good as anywhere. Rumour has it R Ponting might be looking for a run with his 'local' club also.......... :D:D

212715[/snapback]

I would personally NOT relinquish the coveted #3 position in the batting lineup if Punter wanted to play for my Winter team......

Little prick can open if he thinks he's good enough. :lol::lol:

Edited by yoyo

THanks Yo Yo, brilliant contribution as usual....Giz is here now so perhaps he might like a stab at his questions :lol:

Dave, look mate, I put together all that stuff you sent me, great read, took me a while to get through it.....I added up all those nos. and figured out you must be at least 83 years old....and yes, I can finally say...gee these beers taste good, just had one light beer after 6 months...cheers.

1. Gizmo, everyone gets a chance to post a brief sports bio...would you do that please?

Hi folks, here we go...I played rugby league and union from 5 - 15yrs old. In those days you had to play so my family and peers said, it was the done thing. I really did not like playing much and managed to score only 2 tries in 10 years. Started swim squad when I was about 11 and loved it, mainly wanted to be a better swimmer so I could go surfing as my parents would not let me start surfing until I could swim well. 

Swam for school (Waverley college) and competed in area zone champs and specialty was backstroke. Always loved surfing and competed in the local boardriders (north Maroubra) for a few years in the juniors, skateboarding and cycling.. only to ride to the beach and back with my board, all other school sports had a go at. Liked swimming as it is an individual sport.. probably why now I do triathlons.. not really a team sport person.

2. Dave, did you mention your work as a personal trainer, shared with your partner and biggest supporter...would you speak about that please?

After 10 years off fitness and started training for triathlon and doing a few races, also started to help a few friends get fit. I started to study about fitness in general and my partner Stephanie suggested I do a TAFE course in Fitness. Thought this should be easy and enrolled, might add I had not studied for 20 years since my apprenticeship. Boy of boy was I wrong, not as easy as I thought. So stuck at it 2 nights a week after work, lots of Saturday classes and a year and a half later passed Cert IV in fitness and also group exercise. I won an award in Cert III for academic excellence which was a real surprise and something I am proud of as I was not a great achiever at school.

I was training at Sydney Football Stadium (Aussie Stadium) in Sydney and completed my work experience there. During this time I was offered a part time position and have worked there on weekends for almost 3 years. I really enjoy helping people get fit  and it is a nice change from my weekday job. I also have lifeguard quals and work doing this at SFS also during summer. I take this seriously and have had no major incidents on my shift. Just thinking a child could drown in a minute or so keeps my mind on the job. Someone has to do it.. yes also lots of yummy mummies and babes etc to look after too.

My partner Stephanie also completed the fitness course and works there pretty much full time, she also teaches swimming and is well known there for being a good teacher and trainer. She came home yesterday after work with a nice present of a tea cup and coaster from a client. I asked her who it was from..” Oh the Witakers are going to Ireland and Chris and the kids gave it to me after their last session.” (yes Chris Witaker Capt of Waratahs.. had to drop that one in).

Steph has been a great support over the years and has hardly missed a race. I remember one day she was in the pouring rain with umbrella waiting for me to come around on the run camera in hand waiting to take a photo. Always up early to get ready and  puts up with me when I am cranky and tired and crap on about triathlon day and night. She is a gem

3.Mate, moving forward to triathlon, I know you have done a few, but how did you actually get started in the sport?

I did bugger all (a surf here and there.. body surf.. ) 25 -35.. Spent these years partying way too hard and put on about 10kgs, I  was into the dance party scene and drank lots and that’s another story in itself…Decided enough was enough and  then got back into swimming and did a few ocean swims and was very happy to do something again after 10 years off.

Met a guy in my local pub (Ken) 68yrs old and had cycled for many years and competed here and O/S..

He asked me if I was keen to go for a ride with him so got my old Europa steel frame out and started cycling.. 10kgs heavier than now (this was 2002) we went for 25’s then 40 and finally managed to do 60km to Cronulla and back.. I remember having to walk the bike up the last hill near my place.. going home, shower food and crashed out…… so hammered.. When I see him I always remind him and tell him it’s all his fault that I am now heaps fitter and still racing…..

So after riding for a few months. he mentioned why not do a Kurnell triathlon,, Oct 2002… I thought.. hey I can swim 500 meters.. can ride 20km… oh yeah just do the run on the day… so did 2 x 5km jogs… went and did my first Triathlon.. can’t remember the time.. but do remember coming out of the water top 10%... and then got slaughtered on the bike and run and had to have a few walk breaks on the run as I blew up big time… crossed the finish about 10th last in AG and was hooked… Have since done around 23 sprints getting faster each year.. best result 11/33 in AG so not too shabby.. Run still not the best but bike and swim have improved over the years..

4. Giz, thanks and kindly mention the highs and lows up to this point.

Highs are always crossing the finish line even in a sprint race. Greatest moment was finishing Port Mac half last year. I am a bit of an emotional guy and yeah I cried tears of joy… I still have flashbacks even writing this…

Lowest point was Feb 8th this year.. One week out from starting Huskisson long course had my first major bike crash. Just did not have my mind on the job in taper week, went to put bidon back in its cage, clipped the front wheel and down I came. Main problem was that I did some rib cartilage damage and it hurt a lot. Especially sleeping, laughing and sneezing almost made me faint. .. I was so bitterly disappointed and in denial about how serious this was till the day before.. I even packed the car and was in a lot of pain even doing this… did a 20 min fitness test at SFS and decided better to not start than to not finish… yes I still have unfinished business. At least I gained the fitness from training.

5. Thanks, Dave, but yet to do the big one, let alone qualify, what's the strategy for that? Given that you have spectated, I think it is only natural to now want to do the race (Port),how important is that to you at this point?

Yes I am now planning to do Port Mac HIM Nov 5 and get a spot in my first IM 1.4.07.. If I don’t qualify with a  time , will do this half as its  all I can afford. I will then try to get a lottery spot and if I don’t get a spot then so be it. Next year 2008 is ok sort of. I spectated last year and in 2004 at Forster so no more sideline for me until I have a crack myself. I will do it when I am ready not what anyone else says. I originally said when I turn 45, so 43 next year two years early.

6. And Giz, let's assume you finally do get there, but partner for unavoidable reason cannot attend..how do you react?

She and I have a good understanding, she would want me to go for sure and I would go. Only if she was really sick, then I would stay to look after her.

7. Mate, watching a Rugby League match....clear break, try line begging, final pass hits the ground legal, not forward...but takes a uncanny roll forward into the touch in goal. Attacking player touches it down....try or no try?

Knock on.. shit I hate football.. might try to watch the whole game tonight..

8. Gizmo, per what you told me, self employed running your own small business, plus a full time job, plus having the personal trainer clients....that's enough, now how do you fit any training in around that schedule?

I use my commuting time to and from the city to train during the week. Its 12ks from home, so cycle up to Centennial Park on the way, do a few laps, off to work and back home. SFS is also on the way so use the 25m pool either morning or arvo. Once or twice a week, I run is either direct or via the beach and hills, around the harbour to work. Some days I run in and home so 12 + 12ks which is good for base ks.

Weekends just work around my shifts at the stadium and try to get PM shifts so I can ride early in the morning. Also ride and run there as well. I have not done as many private PT clients over the past year as my training comes first after FT work, home business and SFS job.

9. Dave, what in your opinion makes the difference between a guy who likes a drink & another individual who needs drinks on a daily basis...use yourself as an example or generalise?

Drinking and training I say… it’s the BALANCE. I go to the pub and see guys who I went to school and played footy with and some of them are in a bad way, overweight and there every day. I can only go for an hour as I get pissed really easy. Some weeks after big events I treat myself to a few nights at the pub, just for a coupla. I have had my time going to the pub all the time, getting pissed, punting … you name it

Difference is I now have fitness as a big part of my life, something these people don’t. They just have work and the pub.

10. Mate, let's drop back to your surfing background. As I understand you followed the bohemian lifestyle for a while, of course no way to go back there now, but can you reminisce and tell us what it's like riding waves every day with nothing else to worry about?

Spent some time living up the north coast, Byron, Ballina, Lennox head, lived in a tent at Flat rock (near Ballina for 2 months in 83) had no watch just surfed all day. Slept when tired and ate when hungry. Loved surfing Lennox and got in good with Bob McTavish.. he swapped my crappy dinged Simon Anderson thruster for an almost new McTavish (gembo swallow tail) for $20 bucks..I remember him saying that he had seen me out at Lennox and was I going to stay around here for a while.. I said yes of course.

Lived in Byron at Wategoes beach.. right on the water across from the beach.. Yeah rent was $30 per week for a 1br unit under a house.. Doubt I would get that today. Used to walk into town to do the shopping and stop for a beer at the Top pub.. this was before Strop bought it and done it up.. Shit they were good days, used to work in Sydney save, go up spend and run out of cash.. back to Sydney again.. Did this for a few years

11. The Bonus, does swimming in the open water, surf or plain, make you a better swimmer as a strong swimmer, how much of that comes from the beach and how much from the pool...I know it's a bit of both...but for a strong IM swim which is more important?

Ocean swimming is very important and a different style to pool swimming. Even in a pool I tend to swim a bit high in the water. Ocean swimming gives better strength as you have to deal with chop and currents and also helps with direction. Body surfing also helps as you need to accelerate quickly to get on a wave and swim back through the breakers out again and it is heaps of fun. I swim across the bay at Maroubra all year round and nowadays prefer when it is flat.. funny me saying that being a bit of an ex surfer..

I love it when I turn up at an event and everyone is whinging about the chop, wind, cold or whatever in the swim. We all train properly for the bike and run and more of you should do some time in the ocean. Also swimming continually rather that having to turn at each end prepares you well for HIM or IM swim. Yes we still need the pool as the beach is not always flat.

12. Under which circumstances can we win back the Ashes and who might be the key players next time? Will Glen McGrath play or not? As a selector what would you have to see from Glen to regain his test place?

He needs to get rid of the chain around his neck.. It really bothers me, actually I don’t like cricket either

13. And the inevitable..mate I will always remember talking to you on the phone at Port, nice little chat of about 2 minutes and I did mention my name....then you hit me your absolutely broadest Oz accent, one of the broadest I have ever heard, "Who's this", you say...your comment now?

Funny when you rang I just started talking to you as I had just woke up. I will talk to almost anyone unless you try to sell me something. You have a nice caramelly Canadian accent yourself mate.

Thanks for the opportunity K2 ,now I am hungry and off for lunch.

Giz

Thanks Dave for appearing ths morning. Hope you enjoyed it?

212682[/snapback]

I want to know what happened to the likes of Larry Blair? On his day he surfed very well, obviously (winner of Pipe Masters, Bells et al), but there were days out at the Point and Voodoo where he'd have kook attacks and you'd be left wondering. Then he seemed to just disappear.

Edited by Slowman

I want to know what happened to the likes of Larry Blair? On his day he surfed very well, obviously (winner of Pipe Masters, Bells et al), but there were days out at the Point and Voodoo where he'd have kook attacks and you'd be left wondering. Then he seemed to just disappear.

212901[/snapback]

Slowman, just type in Larry Blair on Google and your questions will be answered

Gizmo, your reminiscing of your surfing past brought back some long forgotten memories for myself. Admittedly, I was more of a south coast hanger, just hated the "crowds" you'd get up north. Never bothered moving though as I had my van to live in all weekend.

Cheers

Jemmo