Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions With Slowman

Slowman, are you ready for 10 Questions? Let's go.

1.Slowman, I think you have a background in surfing and triathlon...piece it together for us, your sporting interests since the teenage years?

2. And Craig, moving straight into IM racing, you obviously love that, give us the highs and lows please?

3. And mate, I know you want to do another one, but is it actually going to happen?

4. Slowman, have you ever ridden in a surf that scared the living hell out of you. When and where please?

5. Mr. Vernon, as a new father and the father of 2 teenagers, you must have considered the fact that drug usage is somewhat acceptable to the curent generation....given this, whether it is actually acceptable or not, and drawng from your own experience please, what action would you take if you were given direct evidence of more than casual drug use from any one of your kids?

6. Craig, the operation carried out on your femur or hip was a somewhat radical operation with no guarantee of success...how is the rehab going and is there anything that would make you optimistic for full recovery?

7. Mate, you have choice. You can have a month's training with Scott Molina, including Epic Camp & a possible slot to Hawaii, not certain though. Or you can get a month's surfing anywhere in the world all expenses payed. Answer, assuming no physical limitations here, which one do you choose?

8.Slowman, there are 2 areas which you excell here on the forum...that is besides keeping RS & even me on topic :lol: Two part question...some of the legal stuff you come up with is way above what people normally deal with, how so?

And the technical knowlege of the bike...where does it all come from?

9. Craig, lawn burning....any experience with that & what's the story behind that one?

10. Mate, your favorite tri event from the past? Any Jabba like nostalgic moments...beers not included.

11. Besides the birth of your son, when was the last time you were reduced to tears over an event..sporting or life event?

12. Mate, you get on a near perfect wave and you are headed straight down the pipe like never before.....you get a call telling you...it's not your wave....get off...using more vernacular language......do you bale or continue the ride?

13. Infomation solicited...it is widely rumoured that Roxi once had hair..can you confirm that..and what did he look like then?

14. The Bonus. Mate, what do you do when work blocks the ISD and wife suggests you spend less time on the computer at home?

15. Who's Kenjo?

16. Aussie rules....the ball hits the behind post on the full...as an ump, what do you award?

And special thanks to anonymous member who assisted with the questions?

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

Fair go K2.

With a (short) two page answer to each question it will take even Slowie a bit of time to complete his response. :lol:

I have some interim answers:

1. pork

2. pork

3. pork

4. pork

5. pork

6. pork

7. pork

8. pork

10. pork

11. pork

12. pork

13. pork

14. pork

15. pork

16. pork

I will get back with some lengthier replies when I can later today

Q 15: As Oakley so affectionately called me yesterday... "Kenjo you poorly made chinese butt plug". Not nice! :lol:

I have some interim answers:

1. pork

2. pork

3. pork

4. pork

5. pork

6. pork

7. pork

8. pork

10. pork

11. pork

12. pork

13. pork

14. pork

15. pork

16. pork

I will get back with some lengthier replies when I can later today

212451[/snapback]

sounds like my answers in my appraisal at work. :lol:

Slowman, are you ready for 10 Questions? Let's go.

Yes, here goes but this makes 17 questions...

1.Slowman, I think you have a background in surfing and triathlon...piece it together for us, your sporting interests since the teenage years?

I first learned to swim at the rockpools at North Cronulla when I was about 3 or 4. We lived at Miranda and my grandfather would take me for a swim every morning, he was kind of like one of those old codgers that hang out with the bergs. He truly believed the greatest wealth a man (or woman) could have was their health. He pretty much drummed it into me from an early age health was worth more than wealth. Before that we lived at Clovelly and my mother would walk down Alison Rd and take me to play at the park on the beach in Coogee. So my first love was the ocean and my swimming and surfing grew from there. I bodysurfed, rode a koolite and swam in school competition making it to the zone carnivals a few times on no coaching at all. My grandmother however, I'm lead to believe had been a damn good swimmer in NZ but gave up her olympic aspirations for marriage. Anyway, she gave me my first training programme - swim 30 laps a day, and that was it :lol: I followed that from about 9 until I was 12.

I had other interests developing and I wanted to play football and played rugby when I was 10 and then played League when I was 12 until about 15 for Taren Point. I was too interested in surfing after that and only played to represent the school a couple of times as I seemed to come late in the season and so spent a lot of time on the bench. I went to Sydney Technical Boys High School and we'd play rugby the first half of the season and league the 2nd half. Around this time it seemed my growth had slowed down and I went from forward positions to backs. I remember seeing tweety bird a couple of times when I played my favoured position of blind side prop after coming off 2nd best from the regular head butting when we packed down :D . I started to develop some speed and seemed to make full back position mine for a couple of seasons before chucking it in.

From about 15 until I was 30 I was pretty much into surfing and nothing else every spare moment. Surfing unfortunately can give a very bad return on time invested. Marriage and children meant I could no longer spend all weekend chasing waves and waiting for the right tide and so I took up a bit of running to supplement my fitness. I started running in the Corporate Cup at the Domain with IBM's team. One day one of the guys asked me if I'd like to do the BRW corporate try. I did it, I loved it and I was hooked. That was in 1989.

2. And Craig, moving straight into IM racing, you obviously love that, give us the highs and lows please?

I must say what I loved was watching the finish chute at Forster, the atmosphere was electric. I watched a few friends a few races and was really inspired by the atmosphere and the buzz and thought I wanted a piece of it. I started out just doing sprint and olympic distance when I first started to get right into it. That was enough and then around 1993 I started to tinker with the idea of doing one myself and stepped up to long course by doing Sri Chinmoy. I didn't do as well as I wanted but getting drunk at a wedding the night before gave me plenty of excuses.

Early spring 1993 I crashed badly going down Waterfall Hill one morning in the early morning dullness. At first it seemed OK but it seemed to trigger arthritis in my right hip and that put an end to any thoughts of an ironman for the time being. In many respects, I have a lot of regrets about this, not so much that it happened but more about the things I didn't do before it happened. There is a saying that the greatest regrets we have in life are not the things we've done but things we didn't do. I wish I'd committed and done an ironman before this happened just because I'm interested to see what I could have done. Anyway in 1994 I decided to have a high femoral osteotomy because I still wanted to do an ironman anyway. I was on crutches for 6 months or so and it was the most pain I'd experienced in my life. The recovery was slow and painful and I spent a couple of seasons spectating and perhaps getting even more determined to realise the dream of becoming an ironman.

By 1996 I was doing longcourse/half IM distance again but qualifying was my hardest barrier to overcome. Finally in 1999 I got a slot in a cereal packet and I was a starter for 2000, about 6 years after my planned debut! I didn't care that it was a spot from a lucky draw. I grabbed the opportunity with both arms. I ended up doing 12:28 which I was happy with as all I wanted to do was finish. I was sore and cramped badly towards the end and after I finished I just cramped up into a ball. I had to be iced down in medical. That was a lesson worth learning about warming down.

Anyway I never thought I'd want to do it again but as a mate had foretold in a couple of weeks I'd forget the pain and want to. He was right and I did it again. This time I managed to actually qualify at Canberra Half. My next finish at Forster was almost a day light finish in 11:51. 2001 was definitely a high. I finished feeling like I could do it again. I did it again the following year to make it 3 in a row but I was a little too burnt out and finished in 12:05. I had also gone on a cycling tour and done an 800km week of cycling about 2 weeks out from the start. C'est la vi, I'm like that, I want to do everything at times. I think I could have improved again but my legs were just dead on the bike.

I decided to take a year off as it was becoming somewhat onerous, seemingly going around in the same cirlces year in year out. Knowing the courses intimately and being able to predict accurately where the pain would come to the metre on each course. That my friends is what I call a rut :D I still raced but just not IM I did some halves and it was just about fun and fitness only, as well as some of the great comeraderie. I did a few Xterras during this time and they were real fun and I started to get more serious about mountain biking, which I am still continuing with today.

In 2004 I decided I'd do IMWA and I thought I'd be able to manage 11:30 on a dead flat course if I could do 11:51 at Forster. Sadly this was not to be the case at all. The arthritis in my hip was starting to give me grief again and I didn't have a backyard pool to do 3hr water running sessions in like I did at Frenchs Forest. About 5 weeks out I'd just done a 200km ride in about 6:10 and I thought I was going well. The following week something happened and it took me about 7hrs for the same ride and running the longer distances 30km+ was really leaving me sore. It is history now but it took me 15:43 to finish at IMWA and I suffered much pain and discomfort on the day. In many ways I was glad I toughed it out. I think I confirmed I was no quitter or that I'm as stubborn as a mule. The good thing though was that I realised that if I could endure that kind of pain I could get through an operation to reverse the osteotomy I'd had in 1994. I'd been to see my orthopaedic surgeon in 2003 about a hip resurfacing and he gave me the bad news that he could not tweak it so that it would remove the range of movement restrictions imposed by the first osteotomy in 1994, there would need to be 2 operations, which meant one would be an osteotomy and remembering the pain of the first I just stuck my head in the sand for a while unable to make a decision. The hip resurfacing procedure is mild pain by comparison.

3. And mate, I know you want to do another one, but is it actually going to happen?

It will happen when and if it happens. I have all the intentions that it will. I embarked on this whole thing with my eye on the long term goal of doing another and maybe even coming through this a little better off. I knew the recovery would be long and some of the rehab would be painful and there would possibly be a few setbacks along the way. I can say all of my expectations have been met :D . When you start off on a project like this you have to have no doubts at all that it is possible, otherwise there is no point starting. You also have to be realistic and know that there will be worrying moments and doubts along the way and be prepared to face them as they come. In any event, the recovery is going pretty well. My right knee which was sticking out by a mile when I was pedalling is slowly but surely tracking a lot better and coming in. I'm not there yet but I'm getting there. In a few weeks I have another quick operation to take the metal rods and screws out, so that should help free things up a bit more too.

4. Slowman, have you ever ridden in a surf that scared the living hell out of you. When and where please?

Yes a few times. The first was when I'd just bought this new 7'0" pintail and took it out down at Cronulla and I reckon is was 12'+. I was about 17 and had been out for about 1.5hrs before I even got my first wave. I managed to pull the leg rope through my brand new board! :ninja: Another time was out at Voodoo it was about 10'+ storm swell and I paddled out by myself, again it was new board bravado. One other guy paddled out eventually and we said what the f**k are we doing here as we watched a horry double suck on the reef and almost suck it dry. The tide came in and the storminess disappeared and we had some great waves to ourselves before a few more ventured out to join us. I remember I as I paddled out I just got through a closeout set. Closeout sets are scary at Voodoo. Another time out there, me and a mate got hit by a closeout set and it was just 8' of foam that hit us and dragged us all the way around to Boat Harbour chundering us all the way. We decided not to have another go when we finally walked back ;) . I've also had the pleasure of surfing in Bali in clean 5-6' waves and being cleaned up by rogue sets of about 8-10' where any attempt to paddle out through them simply puts you right into the impact zone ;);) Big waves anywhere can be scary, especially if you've never been there before.

5. Mr. Vernon, as a new father and the father of 2 teenagers, you must have considered the fact that drug usage is somewhat acceptable to the curent generation....given this, whether it is actually acceptable or not, and drawng from your own experience please, what action would you take if you were given direct evidence of more than casual drug use from any one of your kids?

I'd belt 'em :gathering: Education is the key here. I always took the approach of arming them with all of the facts about drugs and sex and what the alternatives are. I want them to make informed decisions so that they can understand the risks and that you can still have fun without the need for drugs - take triathlon for example! And then I threaten to belt 'em.

Actually, I think drug usage was far more prevalent and acceptable in my generation as a teenager. I can remember people openly smoking joints at rock concerts with police nearby and nothing was done. Everybody I knew back then imbibed, but then that was par for the surf scene, unlike today many surfers treat their bodies like an athlete's body should be treated. It seems the younger people of today are less into drugs because the attitude in society is quite different now. It is quite a conservative world today compared to the days of my youth and of course the laws and policies reflect this conservative shift too.

I know my daughters have experimented but neither are constantly abusing any substance, and that includes alcohol. I think they've got a balanced outlook and just drink socially. It is the new wave of drugs like crystal meth (meth amphetamine) that worry me - highly addictive. Concocted by criminals just to create a captive market. Anyway I've walked down that street of chance and I know from my own experience that the simple pleasures of life are far greater at less cost when you look at the bigger picture. I've always tried to convey this to my daughters and will try to do the same for Connor. I've also seen what can happen and seen many people I knew die from heroin overdoses, some of them were good surfers too. I was amazed to see them go from strong fit individuals to skinny rakes in a semester and then later hear of their inevitable demise. I also knew some well enough to know they had some deep hurt inside and that is why they ended up the way they did. So I try to make sure my children understand that if they have problems they need to work them out rather than try to block them out.

It sounds stupidly simplistic but you have to be happy and if you aren't, then fix the problem that is causing the unhappiness because it will always still be there when you come down or sober up.

6. Craig, the operation carried out on your femur or hip was a somewhat radical operation with no guarantee of success...how is the rehab going and is there anything that would make you optimistic for full recovery?

I think I've pretty much covered this. Yes I am optimistic that the recovery will be successful by my own definition. The surgeon thinks that walking around unaided is a success, obviously I want more than that. So far I've only cycled and but for one setback everything is moving forward but I haven't run on it yet and won't until the metalwork is out. I did run last time before all the metalwork was out and it was very weird I could feel the bone flexing where the metal stopped. I'm not in that much of a rush this time around and have nothing to gain by testing the limits. I'm 11 years older this time around and I need to take that into consideration too, though I have made faster progress in some ways due to better procedures and drugs to help with bone union.

7. Mate, you have choice. You can have a month's training with Scott Molina, including Epic Camp & a possible slot to Hawaii, not certain though. Or you can get a month's surfing anywhere in the world all expenses payed. Answer, assuming no physical limitations here, which one do you choose?

Without a Hawaii slot I think I take the all expenses paid surf trip. In monetry terms it would be worth more - I have a few exotic destinations in mind ;)

8.Slowman, there are 2 areas which you excell here on the forum...that is besides keeping RS & even me on topic :lol: Two part question...some of the legal stuff you come up with is way above what people normally deal with, how so?

And the technical knowlege of the bike...where does it all come from?

Would you like me talk ad nauseum about software error diagnosis? :drunk: It's far less interesting. I have studied both computing science and law. I did law later to round out my education, we don't have anything close to an Oxford classics degree (get a load of me :gathering: ) here so the next most scholarly thing was law, a subject I'd been fascinated with for some time anyway. I had the opportunity a little while back to change to a legal position but I get too many lurks travelling staying technical but I will switch when the time is right and the opportunity is right. Of course the area I'm most interested in is IP law.

My bike knowledge comes from the fact that I have built and rebuilt quite a few now. I have a reasonable set of tools for most jobs and again I guess it is the geeky technical bent coming out. It has also saved me a stack of money and mechanical problems.

9. Craig, lawn burning....any experience with that & what's the story behind that one?

Ke pasa? It's been a while since I rolled a joint or pulled a cone.

10. Mate, your favorite tri event from the past? Any Jabba like nostalgic moments...beers not included.

I think one of my favourite funny moments was at IMA 2001 carbo night and IMG had hired this hack of a comedian from perhaps Toukley RSL. He was telling slimy dirty old men's jokes and sounded like Sid James from carry on. There was a complete mismatch (disconnect is the current corporate buzzword) between him and the audience. His humour was for pissed sexually grubby audiences. Anyway after a few minutes of everyone labouring through this and many getting up and walking out OLT gets up ands screams "Stop, my ears are bleeding! I can't take it." And gets the first laugh of the night. The twit then replied something like "I remember when I had my first drink...." which just highlighted how much of a fish out of water he really was and everyone just moaned and snickered because that was the point this was not a drunk audience. OLT had another crack "we're only endurance athletes, we can't take any more" or similar and eveyone was pretty much just leaving then and the hackneyed routine never saw its completion that night. Thank Gawd.

11. Besides the birth of your son, when was the last time you were reduced to tears over an event..sporting or life event?

You're guessing again! But yes I certainly shed some tears of joy. I think I wept a few times after meeting Jenny, with joy and heartache and the distances between us at times. The breakup of my first marriage and knowing that I wasn't going to be right there to protect my little girls as they were then. Another time was when I was in recovery after my first osteotomy in 1993 and I had no painkillers whatsoever because I had some buthch pig that said I couldn't have anything except panadol. I was in so much pain I tried to say the Lord's Prayer to give me strength and I couldn't remember the words because I couldn't think clearly. That was the lowest of self pity, I wept for a moment and then fell back on that reliable male emotion of anger and swore the evening through until the shift change and the next nurse came on duty and gave me something. Then I finally got some sleep. I nearly went after them for that little episode. I still get angry when I think about that incident.

On a happier note, speaking of my son, he said "ubth" to me today, not exactly a weeping moment but still a splendid joy.

12. Mate, you get on a near perfect wave and you are headed straight down the pipe like never before.....you get a call telling you...it's not your wave....get off...using more vernacular language......do you bale or continue the ride?

To be quite honest, if it is that late (I'm already inside right?), I've already made my decision to drop in. I'm going for it! As a rule I don't drop in but there are exceptions, mad crowds and there is no other way like if you take off inside everyone drops in and closes out the critical section anyway or the guy is a complete goon and will screw the wave up anyway, or there is sweetest of all drop ins, the revenge drop in :o

13. Infomation solicited...it is widely rumoured that Roxi once had hair..can you confirm that..and what did he look like then?

Yes he had golden locks. Here was this tanned toned dude in stubbies and shaved legs sauntering about building sites in town. I bet he must have copped some flack. Roxii then with hair reminds me of that irish comic that does the adds about it taking no time at all for the people to get used to not smoking in pubs (Ross Noble?).

14. The Bonus. Mate, what do you do when work blocks the ISD and wife suggests you spend less time on the computer at home?

Who am I to fight the laws of nature? I do what I'm told :huh:

15. Who's Kenjo?

I think he's a naughty lil' doggy.

16. Aussie rules....the ball hits the behind post on the full...as an ump, what do you award?

Well I know I don't get to stand there and slam both my index fingers forward in unison as though that's some kind of life saving extension of my personality that will make people like me. :blink: I dunno, a behind? A 1 pointer instead of 6?

And special thanks to anonymous member who assisted with the questions?

Is this number 18? Part of the interrogation technique to get more out of you I bet.

Edited by Slowman

Guest Mister Marsellus Wallace

Slowy and I are actually the same person. Both surf, both love tris but cant do em, Same school, dodgy hips, used to get flogged playing rugger against 12 year old Lebbos and Islanders that were 100 kilos and been shaving since they were 8 years old, both shy and retiring and not at all opinionated.. :lol:

Re the Roxii hair thing, be very careful if you should visit his house. He keeps pictures of himself with long hair and wearing nothing but a pair of red and yellow budgie smugglers on a handy shelf ready for unsuspecting visitors.

And in those days he certainly had some abs........ :lol:

Slow, is the grass question about your neighbourly harmony?

212557[/snapback]

It could be, but there was no burning involved though his wife is a witch and perhaps should have been. I am not kidding she would be out there Sunday morning with a broom dressed in black and smudged/running eye makeup sweeping the driveway. My driveway is about 22m long and they share it through an easement. Personally I think she was using it as a take off and landing strip and as I came back from my ride I'd catch her just coming back from a Saturday night hellfire party and she'd just pretend she was sweeping.

There was some grass poisoning at one stage because I had moved out during the separation and of course the ex didn't mow it and nor did her new lump. So fathead neighbor decided to poison off the section in front of his house. We had a few words and he didn't speak to me for a couple of years! That was a very interesting Christmas that year. Me pretending to be a guest in my own house and the new lump pretending to be the man of the house. Some of the things you get through so you can visit your children on Christmas Day and give them their presents. One of those bitter sweet moments they talk about. It is kind of all relevant because it all happened around the same time and I felt like I was under attack from all quarters - I was also still recovering from my first osteotomy. I really thought guns offered a lot of answers around this time :lol: I think I would have shot the neighbor though, grass poisoning is low.

If it hits the behind post it's out on the full. Free kick to the other side.

And I thought Slowman knew everything..... :lol:

If it hits the behind post it's out on the full. Free kick to the other side.

And I thought Slowman knew everything..... :lol:

212598[/snapback]

but it wasn't specified whether the ball was kicked or handballed into the post, which makes all the difference...

hi slowman..

re: osteotomy surgery, I work for an orthopaedic surgeon and this is THE most painful procedure, particularly high femoral osteotomies, but a fantastic product is now used called a Pain Free Pump which delivers a local anaesthetic to the site via an infusion through a catheter, we are having some positive feedback about this product for pain relief, no help to you now but just thought you might be interested... :lol:

It sounds stupidly simplistic but you have to be happy and if you aren't, then fix the problem that is causing the unhappiness because it will always still be there when you come down or sober up.

I like that, so often the answer is so simple. :lol:

hi slowman..

re: osteotomy surgery, I work for an orthopaedic surgeon and this is THE most painful procedure, particularly high femoral osteotomies, but a fantastic product is now used called a Pain Free Pump which delivers a local anaesthetic to the site via an infusion through a catheter, we are having some positive feedback about this product for pain relief, no help to you now but just thought you might be interested...  :D

212640[/snapback]

Rosie, thanks for that :lol::lol::D but what about infection? You can't leave the catheter in for too long. I had a catheter they were pumping local anaesthetic into but they removed it by about the 3rd day, which is when I really knew about pain. Anyway, I won't ever be having this procedure again. I said that last time too :D

Edited by Slowman

Rosie, thanks for that :lol::lol::D but what about infection? You can't leave the catheter in for too long. I had a catheter they were pumping local anaesthetic into but they removed it by about the 3rd day, which is when I really knew about pain. Anyway, I won't ever be having this procedure again. I said that last time too :D

212709[/snapback]

yep, you're right there, around 48 hours is the usual time it's left in for....working in orthopaedics has given me new respect for my knees and hips that's for sure!