Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions With Bernie

Bernie, thanks for agreeing to appear this morning, are you ready for 10 Q's hard, fast and low.

A few subjects on 10 Q's requested a proof reading of the Q's...the "Bee" did not. For those that did request vetting...no-one got to see the Q's...it's live or nothing, ok?

1. Bernie, hey, everyone else had to post their Tri credentials.....so you too, tell us about the HIM (in NZ or was that the aborted IM attempt) a few years back, any other notable races?

2. And Bernie, what about the earlier sports back ground, going back to the school days?

3. Bernie, mate, you are the sole owner/proprietor here....for those that don't know, how did it all start...and what about some early memories from the first few months on line?

4. And yet, Bernie, some of those early memories must get clouded by the fact that you eventually had to ban some of those famous contributors from the past...without mentioning names, that must have hurt you in one way or another? How do you feel about it now?

5. Bernie, it even went to the point of threatened legal action...recently and going even further back. I know you had to take it very seriously at the time, but did you actually fear legal action, or just the verbal threats?

EDIT: retrospectively the aggrieved parties may have gained more positive PR than negative...your comment, if any?

6. Thanks Bernie, tough questions, I admit. Now Bernie, taking all of the above into consideration, you ultimately decided to put the forum up for sale. Once as announced & secondly, I'm not sure of the circumstances, but perhaps you would care to explain?

7. But ultimately the "for sale" sign was taken down...if not aswered above, would you again explain?

8. Bernie, Olympic Games swimming, nice easy question here....Thorpy going in a 4 x 100 Freestyle relay...they check his time and it's posted as a world record...could this stand as a record? Under which circumstances?

9. Bernie, thruth be known, this forum gives you a kind of fame or notoriety far beyond your Shire roots, I see how chuffed you get when Mike Reilly, Welchy, B. Granger and others who don't post, browse around here, me too....do you still feel the buzz, or do you see it differently now?

10. Bernie, mate, we all revealed part of ourselves here, sometimes accentuating the positive, you know that. We understand....but we were really shocked when you splashed someting similar over on the other (un-named) site. Why Bernie, leave yourself so vulnerable by going over there with your personal life details?

11. Bernie, the forum now, June 2006, my comments notwithstanding....are you happy with the state of play up to the minute, as of today?

12. The Bonus, Bernadette, no-one would begrudge you a small profit from the commercial side of the forum, but I would guess that is something that would not interest you. What if someone does step forward with an Ad. scheme..and you can make some good money...would you do that?

13. Deliberately Bernie, I did not allow you to say a word about your 2 boys...Alex & Chris...you may do that now.

Hope you found the questions fair Bernie....and I further hope forum members will respect your answers. Thanks Bernie for appearing.

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

Bernie, thanks for agreeing to appear this morning, are you ready for 10 Q's hard, fast and low.

A few subjects on 10 Q's requested a proof reading of the Q's...the "Bee" did not. For those that did request vetting...no-one got to see the Q's...it's live or nothing, ok?

1. Bernie, hey, everyone else had to post their Tri credentials.....so you too, tell us about the HIM (in NZ or was that the aborted IM attempt) a few years back, any other notable races?

Thanks K2. It's an honour for me too :lol: I started triathlon after some running injries back in 2001. I really loved the Kurnell series, and within a couple of races found myself on the AG podium in each event, so that was an extra bonus. I also really liked the Half IM distance and just did IMNZ I guess because everyone else was doing it. Peer pressure, I guess. It was fun! I did Swim 1:10, Bike 6:10 Run 6:15. I ran the first half of the marathon in 2:00 and figured I would manage about a 2:30 for the second half but my muscle cramps had othher ideas lol. I was just happy  to finish and have no wishes to futher pursue a second IM. It's just not my distance. I like speed and adrenaline!

2. And Bernie, what about the earlier sports back ground, going back to the school days?

From 8 I was a gymanst and had to give that up when I was 14 from a hand injury. Nadia was my hero and I begged my parents to let me move to Romania where I could be coached by the words best. They declined, damn it! I used to spend my weekends bike riding and rollerskating. I was such a tom boy. When I gave up gymansitics I did the Achper course in my school holidays and became an aerobics instructor at the local gym, and taught gymnastics to the little kiddies at Chatswood Chase Gym.

3. Bernie, mate, you are the sole owner/proprietor here....for those that don't know, how did it all start...and what about some early memories from the first few months on line?

It started when King Kenny Baggs took Ozchat off air. After about 4 weeks of it offline, I thought someone should do it, to keep the community happening, and there wern't any other forums. So I just did it with the technical know how of MB. It was so much fun! I discussed it with King Ken, and he was cool. Ken and I have a great relationship and he warned me of what  as getting myself into. I'm pretty tough, and am not easily intimidated, so it was all just a blast, seeing it take off and the gratitude of original members. The forum also meant, that it was not limited to the IMG IM focus, which also explains my reasoning for self moderation. ie moderation free.

Something else which is really important to me is taht transitions reflects our relaxed, coloyrful, say-it-how-it-is, Aussie flamboyance. This was evident on the old Ozchat and has carried forward here. I can't stand political correctness on a sporting type forum. It gives me the heebie-jeebies, so I say go for it and be yourself!

4. And yet, Bernie, some of those early memories must get clouded by the fact that you eventually had to ban some of those famous contributors from the past...without mentioning names, that must have hurt you in one way or another? How do you feel about it now?

Yeah... I've certainly dealt with a few fruit loops. 4 in total. It was getting to me, so that's why I have stood back and don't get involved so much other than administration. As I see it, once it was established, the greater members drive it. I really love the way members take ownership of the forum, be it positive or negative commets about the forum itself. I guess we're just like a big family.

5. Bernie, it even went to the point of threatened legal action...recently and going even further back. I know you had to take it very seriously at the time, but did you actually fear legal action, or just the verbal threats?

I had an abusive phone call on Christmas eve, which was really the icing on the cake. It wasn't the legal threat that disturbed me, but the personal isnults about my parenting, from a memeber I have met less than a hand full of times. On Christmas eve, it's a really shitty way to carry on. So, no, it's not legal threats but the personal attack that I find deeply hurtful, despite the ridiculousness of the insult. There are several lawyers in my family and I studied law for a few years myself, so no, I am not at all intimated by threats of "legal action" based on things which I know have no legal grounding. That extends to lawyers on behalf of bike manufacturers or bike shops, or whoever doesn't like what has been posted here about their product. I find that explanation and support (ie deleting the thread) if the threat is ligitimate, is enough to protect my own legal ass :D

EDIT: retrospectively the aggrieved parties may have gained more positive PR than negative...your comment, if any?

Í think the person you are referring to inquestion is very good at his own PR, so I don't need to add anything here.

6. Thanks Bernie, tough questions, I admit. Now Bernie, taking all of the above into consideration, you ultimately decided to put the forum up for sale. Once as announced & secondly, I'm not sure of the circumstances, but perhaps you would care to explain?

Peter Hugg, who I was datingat the time, talked sense into me, and it was a spare of the minute decision, which I didn't entirely feel comfortable with, although I was really tiring and just needed a break from it, which I did. It had nothing to do with money and it never has. The Google ads has been easy to install and will cover the running costs. Again, it's not about the money, it's a matter of principle for me.

7. But ultimately the "for sale" sign was taken down...if not aswered above, would you again explain?

As above.

8. Bernie, Olympic Games swimming, nice easy question here....Thorpy going in a 4 x 100 Freestyle relay...they check his time and it's posted as a world record...could this stand as a record? Under which circumstances?

World record circumstances for a 4X100 Freestyle relay, but not solo 100m?

9. Bernie, thruth be known, this forum gives you a kind of fame or notoriety far beyond your Shire roots, I see how chuffed you get when Mike Reilly, Welchy, B. Granger and others who don't post, browse around here, me too....do you still feel the buzz, or do you see it differently now?

Oh I love it too! It still gives me a buzz, and I'm glad to see it buzzes your bones too, which gives me an extra buzz because I can see you feel ownership of transitions too.

10. Bernie, mate, we all revealed part of ourselves here, sometimes accentuating the positive, you know that. We understand....but we were really shocked when you splashed someting similar over on the other (un-named) site. Why Bernie, leave yourself so vulnerable by going over there with your personal life details?

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Can you elaborate K2?

11. Bernie, the forum now, June 2006, my comments notwithstanding....are you happy with the state of play up to the minute, as of to?

Yeah, I think all is great. There will always be up times, down times etc and being Southern hemi winter, it's quiet as usual. So long as the forum provides knowledge and/or entertainment, then it's serving a good purpose.

12. The Bonus, Bernadette, no-one would begrudge you a small profit from the commercial side of the forum, but I would guess that is something that would not interest you. What if someone does step forward with an Ad. scheme..and you can make some good money...would you do that?

I've been approached by many advertisers offering to pay for a slot, and when I get around to it, I'll do it. I've agreed with my 15 yo son Alex, that after all costs are covered, I'll share the excess with him 50/50 if he works on the tech side and I look after admin. I think the google ads will cover costs (it's a bit too early to tell so far, as the fee keeps dropping) so anything else is a bonus, but at the moment, Alex is concentrating on School certificate and preparing for his Exchange student experience to Germany in January.

13. Deliberately Bernie, I did not allow you to say a word about your 2 boys...Alex & Chris...you may do that now.

I find it tedious hearing about other peoples kids, so I won't labour on other than to say, they are great, and we are an awesome little team. I'm really proud at how they are both turning out.

Hope you found the questions fair Bernie....and I further hope forum members will respect your answers. Thanks Bernie for appearing.

I hope they respect them too or I'll ban the buggers! :lol:

Thanks K2. 'These Q&A interviews are a great read!

211429[/snapback]

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Can you elaborate K2?

Bernie...was that a scam or what? What we saw was your latest life update copied verbatim and posted over on the other forum. Caused a bit of a stir over there & honestly a lot of us wondered why you decided to air it over there...known to be a more hostile environment for you. I'm not saying you don't have friends there either...that's where Q 10., came from.

Solo record would apply.....according to certain parameters.

And for those who haven't met Bernie, here is a gem i found that she posted on her trip OS.........(hope ya don't mind Bernie)

Looking%20in%20Starbucks%20from%20Oxford%20UK.%20lol.jpg

Bernie...was that a scam or what?

I think you'll find that it was an 'annonymous guest' who cut & pasted.

Solo record would apply.....according to certain parameters.

211638[/snapback]

The lead off swimmer can be credited with a world record.

Since they swim under the same parameters as a normal 100m swim event.

The other swimmers can not be given a world record for a 100m swim even if they are under the record.

Edited by Bourne

And for those who haven't met Bernie, here is a gem i found that she posted on her trip OS.........(hope ya don't mind Bernie)

211639[/snapback]

Nice picture... :lol: I'm sure Bernie will kill Detai for that.

Well done Bernie. Great answers to some tough questions. Thanks for your effort in keeping the forum alive.

PS. Also well done to our resident "Michael Willesee" K2 :lol:

Thanks Bernie... great answers and thanks again to K2.

BTW Bernie you have amazing skin. Not sure how old you are but you have obviously avoided the Australian sun pretty well.