Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions With SteveCan

Hey Steve, thanks for agreeing to the interview, the caveat is that your brother Michael occasinally posts under your log in, mixing the facts...let's see if it will be straight.

1. Steve...you are currently based on the GC, is that wher you grew up?

2. And mate, you have 2 boys also living in the same area, is that correct?

3.Steve, the IM debut, mate it's all there in the report...awesome journey, and a 10:27 on debut is not chicken feed...mate it was so inspiring, it might be hard to top,have you considerd th

4. SC, having said that, I'm sure there must be a little bit more there somewhere...how far do you think you could take it?

5. But, that may take an additional sacrifice....are you prepared for that?

EDIT: you went very similar to fellow trannie GJ...did you notice on the day?

6. Steve,who is your coach and who are the principal training partners...under the same coach or club or another arragment.

7. Mate, one day, if it didn't happen already, you are going to meet another partner...agreed....if she is young and asks for a child, how would you respond?

8. I"ll give you a chance to talk about your special relationship withyour bro'...you know the guy idolises you....what's the history of that? What sports did you guys play in the formative years?

9. Mate, it's race day, knowing you go on HR, you notice the resting HR is 15 beats above normal, it's been like that for a few days with a very slight fever...but it's IM qualification time....do you race or not?

10. Mate, your famous quote, was it you...."Who's this guy Bernie anyway"...one of the best lines on this forum....anyway, quick question, who is this character Bernie (full answer please) and would you like to see 10 Q's with her?

11. Mate, 1953 in Sth. Africa, one of our Aussie icons won a world title, most people would know that, betcha Parkside does.....who was that & what was the title...no inernet searches please.

12. The Bonus, would you live anywhere other that the current venue...what are the obvious advantages of living there?

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

1. Steve...you are currently based on the GC, is that wher you grew up?

Cheers K - Based on the Gold Coast and moved here in 93 from Brisbane where I grew up. Not a big move distance wise, but a whole different story in terms of lifestyle. When I was 16 I discovered surfing and all I really wanted to do from there was live near the ocean. Once a job opportunity presented itself I leapt at the chance and have never looked like living anywhere else.

2. And mate, you have 2 boys also living in the same area, is that correct?

Girl and a Boy, aged 7 & 9 - two awesome individuals. Reminds me of something MMW said about not having any choice in how much you love someone. You are led to love your children and they have filled my life.

3.Steve, the IM debut, mate it's all there in the report...awesome journey, and a 10:27 on debut is not chicken feed...mate it was so inspiring, it might be hard to top,have you considerd that?

I think about how hard it might be to top that all the time! The last 12 months have been all PB's for me. Had a great Marathon (which I wont be backing up this year) I got my target result at Noosa (which I thought was fairly ambitious) and then exceeded what I thought I could do at Port. Now that I have had a few health niggles I have had a chance to see just how lucky I was to be able to do some consistent training and get some results. The fact that these were first time performances (Marathon and Port that is - not Noosa) It just seems a little harder mentally to get up for them because now I know how much it can hurt and how much work needs to be done.

Now the challenge is to go back and not just repeat the performance - I want to do better. Obviously it's not going to be easy but as long as I am enjoying myself and have the support of family etc. then I feel it's too good an opportunity to pass up not to try to go faster. Kanagra said it really well - It's hard to Climb Everest, but it's a lot easier to get there from the South Col than sea level.

4. SC, having said that, I'm sure there must be a little bit more there somewhere...how far do you think you could take it?

Hehe - well if I have five less toilet stops I reckon I could take at least ten minutes off at Port! Seriously though, If I went half an hour faster I might just quailify on a roll down for Hawaii. I have been thinking about it a lot and if the stars align, the training goes well and I remain injury free I have to think it's a possibility. I have been getting some advice, reading some of the stuff written here and my main focus is to be come a stronger biker over the rest of this year.

Hey - It's a dream, gotta have a crack.

5. But, that may take an additional sacrifice....are you prepared for that?

Sacrifice, hmm - kind of reminds me of a definition I read about Suffering. Not sure where I got it from but it goes something like - Suffering is pain for a reason. Then if you want to get all Buddist all over it then because it's for a reason it's not even pain at all. Sacrifice is the same. You do stuff so that you can get what you want - then it's not really sacrifice, you are just doing what you want - or are driven to do. (Then again, maybe it's just selfish?)

EDIT: you went very similar to fellow trannie GJ...did you notice on the day?

GJ, Never met the guy, but I have noticed a bit of an affinity in his posts. I think we might be on a bit of the same wavelength - but it's hard to say without meeting someone. Certainly sounds like a good bloke. As far as noticing on the day - can't say I did.

6. Steve,who is your coach and who are the principal training partners...under the same coach or club or another arragment.

Naming and Shaming time. Dave Willems is my personal coach. He's a great guy who has become a good mate. I am sure a number of Trannies on the Quensland scene know him well as he has been doing Tri's and Marathons since the early nineties. Has had some very good (sub ten) IM's and been to Hawaii. It's going to be fun watching him and the WOO training crew chasing the 3 hour pace group at the GC Mara this weekend. Much good natured abuse will be hurled.

My main training partner is Tony Underwood, Dave willems sets both our programs and we try and work together when it makes sense. Tony is a driven individual who somehow does an outstanding job as a Company Director, University Lecturer, Husband and Father and still manages to consistently clock up 12+ hours of training every week. When we are both fit at the same time it's a great day at the races as I swim faster, we both bike similar and he's much quicker on the run. It can be a blast. One of my favorite races was the 1/30/8 at Luke Harrop last year. Tony caught me at the 6k mark on the run and I managed to stay with him until the finish line was in sight and he blew my doors of in the sprint. 8 Seconds was the margin - it's hard to laugh and spit out a lung at the same time but we managed :lol:

Jenny Alcorn and the Surfers Paradise Tri Club fill out the rest of my training activities. Jenny is a real champion and she is absolutely comitted to developing the Juniors and the sport, the club is still developing and I expect to see a lot of growth there over the coming seasons. The age groupers there are a fantastic bunch and we will have a strong showing at Port next year. These guys are a pleasure to be around. The people I get to train with make the whole thing so much more fun for me.

7. Mate, one day, if it didn't happen already, you are going to meet another partner...agreed....if she is young and asks for a child, how would you respond?

I have enough kids thanks.

8. I"ll give you a chance to talk about your special relationship withyour bro'...you know the guy idolises you....what's the history of that? What sports did you guys play in the formative years?

Idolises? Well - I have never thought of it that way. Mick and I have been there for each other through a couple of marriage break-ups and various life stuff. We have followed each other into a few things, His speciality is IT and I followed him into that as a career, Once I got my first Road bike I gave him a mountain bike that I didn't need and that got him started into Cycling. I am more of an extrovert that is sure and some people have characterised the relationship as you have. But that doesn't really tell the story. As far as sports in the early years. I played a bit of cricket and tennis, but I would not say that we were a sporty family.

9. Mate, it's race day, knowing you go on HR, you notice the resting HR is 15 beats above normal, it's been like that for a few days with a very slight fever...but it's IM qualification time....do you race or not?

Well - so far I have managed to listen to my body fairly well. Having to pull out of the Marathon this weekend is a good case in point. It's been a bit of a downer, but I know it's the right decision. I would only hurt myself if I pressed on. So - to answer your question - If I thought that I could qualify without killing myself or doing major damage, I would go ahead. But if I thought I was going to hit the wall i would go to plan B - whatever that is. There is also a good chance I would start the race and decide along the way if I was going to cross the line or not.

Short answer - be sensible, it's just a sport. It's not worth killing yourself over.

10. Mate, your famous quote, was it you...."Who's this guy Bernie anyway"...one of the best lines on this forum....anyway, quick question, who is this character Bernie (full answer please) and would you like to see 10 Q's with her?

Going to Dob McTwistie in on this one, In fact I think your files are just slightly off on this one as I believe he posted under his moniker for this gaffe. (the times he has been at my place and posted under my login seem to be thankfully in the past) Quite new to the site he was and didn't know about Bernie at all. I laughed my tits off at him too. :lol:

I'd love to see 10 q's from Bernie. (In fact I would like to see a post to list and decide the questions to ask her). I have had some dealings and she has been lovely. However I find her posts have largely ignored issues and questions raised here. Quite enigmatic you have been Bernie. Don't get me wrong - I do not want or expect Bernie to change, but I would observe that she is no Kevin Tiller. Probably best that way.

Just had a look again at the questions - Who is Bernie? I Don't know Bernadette that well. But I am gratefull that she decided to start and maintain the forum and that she has put all the effort into keeping it going, doing Tranny hats and the like. It does not look to me that she has enjoyed doing it all that much of recent times but I do appreciate that she has kept it up knowing (I assume) how significant a community it has become. My Hats off to you Bernie - I wouldn't have put my hand up I am sure.

11. Mate, 1953 in Sth. Africa, one of our Aussie icons won a world title, most people would know that, betcha Parkside does.....who was that & what was the title...no inernet searches please.

Only Google could save me here. Was it Boxing? N.F.I.

12. The Bonus, would you live anywhere other that the current venue...what are the obvious advantages of living there?

The Gold Coast is magic. The 5th largest city in Australia, it's still listed as a regional center by most organisations (eg. Telstra). I just love the place. Training it has everything you could ask for and the Ocean really does if for me. I still love to surf and the lineup here is not that hard to negotiate even though the crowds are bigger than before. Just yesterday I took the boat out to Palm Beach Reef with my Dad and a mate and we scored Shark, Mackerel, Tailor, Bonito, Squire and Bream. the Kids love the place, the schools are good and I have a good job that I enjoy doing and has prospects for the future. I could live elsewhere, but not by choice and have no intention of moving.

Ok - My bit. when KA contacted me and suggested 10 questions I was a bit unsure how relevant I would be. I have been really impressed by people like Big Chris and Kanagra who are clearly on another level - athletically I don't stack up. But the thing that I have liked about this 10 Q's thing is that it has brought more depth to the forum by making the people who contribute more 'real'. Like it or not this forum is part of the Triathlon 'scene' in Australia and as I said before the people involved in the sport are what makes it so compelling for me. Thanks for the opportunity K.

Cheers

Steve.

Ok - My bit. when KA contacted me and suggested 10 questions I was a bit unsure how relevant I would be. I have been really impressed by people like Big Chris and Kanagra who are clearly on another level - athletically I don't stack up. But the thing that I have liked about this 10 Q's thing is that it has brought more depth to the forum by making the people who contribute more 'real'. Like it or not this forum is part of the Triathlon 'scene' in Australia and as I said before the people involved in the sport are what makes it so compelling for me. Thanks for the opportunity K.

Well said Steve. :lol:

Oh and well questioned and answered for the rest of it too guys (except the MsTwistie thing K2, anymore of those and we'll have to call you GP2! :lol:)

Great interview :lol: Thanks to both of you!

You're an inspiration to me Steve. Can't wait to see what else the future holds for you!

Idolises? Well - I have never thought of it that way. Mick and I have been there for each other through a couple of marriage break-ups and various life stuff. We have followed each other into a few things, His speciality is IT and I followed him into that as a career, Once I got my first Road bike I gave him a mountain bike that I didn't need and that got him started into Cycling. I am more of an extrovert that is sure and some people have characterised the relationship as you have. But that doesn't really tell the story. As far as sports in the early years. I played a bit of cricket and tennis, but I would not say that we were a sporty family.

Hmmm. I have never heard this before, yet have had some interesting thoughts along these lines recently. They are more to do with how as we have matured, I think we have become very similar in many ways. Funnily enough, depending on the situation, I think at times Steve looks up to me. He has almost always been the leader as I have almost always been the follower - thats what younger brothers are for.......

Steve was into sports at school big time. Tennis, Cricket, Running etc etc - I was at home in front of the computer - Still am, and doing my best to keep up with Steve over the years has helped shape me into much more then I may have been on my own.

Steve - always an Inspiration. :lol:

Bantamweight Jimmy Carruthers - first Australian to win a boxing world title - won the World championship in 1952 with a startling KO of South African opponent Vic Toweel in the first round. Jimmy made four successful defences of his title before retiring undefeated in 1954. A comeback attempt in 1961 saw Jimmy sustain his only career loss.

No Wonder K! - It was not 1953 at all....

Boxing was till a guess though. :lol:

Steve,

Your right about the motivation once you have climbed Everest once. When you have it everything is easy, when you don't it is damn hard.

CQ