Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions With Stubbsy

Kerry Stubbs, Race Director, all rounder in in every sense of the word, are you ready?

Thanks for sending me the background check....I'm returning the police check, I never asked for that one.....good read though :lol::lol::D

1. Mr. Stubbs, you presented an impressive CV, would you list again all the current positions you hold...triathlon and all sports?

2. Stubbsy....since you mention full time, l assume that means full time, with salary and you do not hold another job, correct?

3. Team Manager Tri Australia, I think you mentioned above....what does that entail? Any anecdotes amusing or otherwise you want to add?

4. Stubbsy, mate, all that at 41, and married with a family, still located down Sth. too...has that presented any particular problems considering all of the above?

5. Kerry, mate, last year I sent a PM to the late Chris Hewitt (RIP).....I got an in depth reply to a simple question....Kerry besides being a tragic personal loss to his family, has the loss of Chris to TA also been felt? Any other comment?

5. Kerry, you also competed IM level, how did you go there?

6. Kerry, your AFL playing days and any other sports played from junior up until present?

7.Stubbsy, Craig Walton's current place in Triathlon, is he still at the crossroads of deciding to move up to IM...what's an his agenda this season?

8.Mate, I know you are big mates with Craig....any discussion therefore would have to include something on Emma Snowshill....same question, where's she headed this year?

9. Kerry, it seems you share the name with another Aussie sports star...has there ever been any confusion over that one?

10. Stubbsy...who is Kym DeBritt and why am I asking you that?

11. Not letting you go yet...I want to ask you about the Tassie Half IM, the race is quite low key & attracts somewhat small numbers, but it seems to be highly regarded by those that have done it....for those who may wish to drop down...I know Hymie wants to do that....what encouragement would you give.

(And don't think we don't notice the service you give down there, like Airport pick ups for one thing...no questionhere just my observation)

12.Bonus Question.....Tassies always been a bit of a backwater, mate I was there in '91 and loved the place, but found it to be 10-15 years behind the rest of Australia, more like NZ than OZ really....I not saying that's bad thing either, anyway as of now 2006, is the place still lagging behind?

13. Bonus (2), if we get a point off Brasil tonight or a draw with Croatia later...we advance in the WC...does that make any impact on the future of soccer in this country?

14. Since you love talking, mate, if you like, would you care to add you comments on drafting vs non drafting triathlon? Thanks.

Thanks Kerry, greatly appreciated.

Kerry Stubbs, Race Director, all rounder in in every sense of the word, are you ready?

Thanks for sending me the background check....I'm returning the police check, I never asked for that one.....good read though

1. Mr. Stubbs, you presented an impressive CV, would you list again all the current positions you hold...triathlon and all sports?

Currently, I am the Executive Officer for the Devonport Triathlon Association and as such manage the following events, Hobart International Triathlon, Tassie Half Ironman, 3 Corporate Triathlons here in Tassie and work with USM on Hobart Weet Bix and a couple of fun runs. I also own half of T3 events a new and exciting event Management Company with a close friend of mine Brett James (BAJ). Our first event was the Australian Clubs champs in Penrith May this year.

I also work with Triathlon Australia in a volunteer role acting as Team Manger for Age group teams, did New Zealand 04, Madeira 05, Hawaii 06 and doing Duathlon In Corner Brook this July.

I also sit on the Triathlon Australia Race Directors committee with Ken Baggs, Garth Prowd and David Hansen.

Do a little work with IMG at Busso IM and Port Mac

2. Stubbsy....since you mention full time, l assume that means full time, with salary and you do not hold another job, correct?

Correct, I work full time in the sport of Triathlon, am very lucky indeed.

3. Team Manager Tri Australia, I think you mentioned above....what does that entail? Any anecdotes amusing or otherwise you want to add?

That is a question I could spend a lot of time on, the role is varied that’s for sure and involves many aspects from working with Travel agents, managing the operational and logistical issues to uniform design to Coach the lot, a fun role but certainly hard work.

I only became involved after some friends went to Cancun 03 and described it as the worst triathlon experience of their life.

I have always been of the opinion that it should be the best hence my desire to try and make a difference. David Budge, Brett James and myself worked together to put a structure in place that can be duplicated in years to come, I think it has improved

4. Stubbsy, mate, all that at 41, and married with a family, still located down Sth. too...has that presented any particular problems considering all of the above?

Not at all, Tassie is the best place in the world to live and bringing up a family (my opinion) its only 1 hour to Melbourne and under 2 hours to Sydney, never ever felt it was an issue and never stopped me from being involved.

5. Kerry, mate, last year I sent a PM to the late Chris Hewitt (RIP).....I got an in depth reply to a simple question....Kerry besides being a tragic personal loss to his family, has the loss of Chris to TA also been felt? Any other comment?

Chris Hewitt was a great man and done an enormous amount of work for the sport, very quiet man who behind the scenes was the one key factor in TA surviving a tough period, he will be remembered for many, many years to come.

Truly a wonderful person.

5. Kerry, you also competed IM level, how did you go there?

Ok for me, did 2 Ironmans both at Forster 2001 and managed 10.42 and fronted up again in 2002 and 10.52, I am happy with what I achieved and believe I got the best out of myself at the time.

6. Kerry, your AFL playing days and any other sports played from junior up until present?

Aussie Rules, Cross Country Running and Triathlons – That’s it ]

7.Stubbsy, Craig Walton's current place in Triathlon, is he still at the crossroads of deciding to move up to IM...what's an his agenda this season?

As people well know Craig has been ill for sometime and has now worked his way through his issues and back training and racing, he competed in the World Cup in South Africa and to the best of my knowledge will now prepare for the Big Money races in the US with Life Time being a focus. As for Ironman, I am not sure; I personally don’t think so, Half Ironmans, Yes for sure.

We would see some very very fast Half Ironman times with Macca, Waldo and Chris Leigh in the same race - Now that would be worth watching.

8.Mate, I know you are big mates with Craig....any discussion therefore would have to include something on Emma Snowsill....same question, where's she headed this year?

Emma has the world at her feet obviously and I would think that Life Time would be first and foremost in her mind $250K USD is huge money, she would continue doing some world cup events and certainly Beijing 06/07 you would think.

She is an amazing athlete, with a fierce desire to be the best, one of the most determined athletes I have ever met and a wonderful person to boot.

Emma is a quality person and in my opinion could become one of the very best female athletes we will ever see in Triathlon.

She is getting better and we should all look forward to watching her in the coming years

9. Kerry, it seems you share the name with another Aussie sports star...has there ever been any confusion over that one?

Not sure on this one mate!

10. Stubbsy...who is Kym DeBritt and why am I asking you that?

Not sure but am sure I should know, got me thinking here again mate!

11. Not letting you go yet...I want to ask you about the Tassie Half IM, the race is quite low key & attracts somewhat small numbers, but it seems to be highly regarded by those that have done it....for those who may wish to drop down...I know Hymie wants to do that....what encouragement would you give.

(And don't think we don't notice the service you give down there, like Airport pick ups for one thing...no questionhere just my observation)

The Tassie Half Ironman is something I am really proud of, its an event that will continue to build as time passes, we take pride in delivering a good honest value for money event and really try to make our athletes welcome.

I think being an athlete has helped me with running events and you ensure the little things are taken care of, so when you come to Tassie to race I can assure you that you will have fun and feel right at home, Good honest course, Great atmosphere and great post race party at the local Irish Pub.

It’s the little things that make the difference

12.Bonus Question.....Tassies always been a bit of a backwater, mate I was there in '91 and loved the place, but found it to be 10-15 years behind the rest of Australia, more like NZ than OZ really....I not saying that's bad thing either, anyway as of now 2006, is the place still lagging behind?

Still the same mate, like I said it’s the best place in the world to live and the relaxed way of life will always be here and a characteristic we would never want to lose.

13. Bonus (2), if we get a point off Brasil tonight or a draw with Croatia later...we advance in the WC...does that make any impact on the future of soccer in this country?

Personally I don’t think so, it is a game that is now managed very well and will continue to grow regardless of the result

14. Since you love talking, mate, if you like, would you care to add you comments on drafting vs non non-draftingathlon? Thanks.

Well, an interesting question, From a traditionalist point of view I dislike the current World Cup racing, don’t get me wrong I admire these athletes but its not what I personally call Triathlon, a true Swim bike runner and yes, lets use Walton, he just cant win, they can no longer get away, Look at the South African World Cup a couple of weeks ago, Walton doing his normal Swim hard, ride like hell and run for your life race plan had no chance with a pack of 35 guys together with one of the fastest Triathlon runners sitting on the back spinning.

Just not Triathlon in the pure sense but I stress this is my personal opinion only and like I have said before that’s just the way the sport is now – end of story

Thanks Kerry, greatly appreciated.

Great read Stubbsy, good work, keep it up.

Pleasure to meet you at IM this year!

Cool+

You're a triathlon dynamo Stubbsy, Yesterday - WSTC; Today - Tassie; Tomorrow - The world!!! :lol:

Hey one of my best memories of IM was in IMOZ03 when you and Paul Willy almost knocked me out with congrats straight after the finish! :lol:

And for anyone wanting to see the boy in action, I've got some dirt (in the form of a very muddy Xterra five years ago). link Be sure to check out photos 4, then 10, then Kerry's epic finish sequence of 19-20-21. Woohoo!

This sport is very lucky to have men like Kerry. I can vouch for what he says about the Tassie Half. This is the best race of the series.

Thanks Guys appreciate the support and kind words, And Pete many thanks for the link to the pics, that was one tough day - but lots of fun.

Glad u enjoy the Tassie Half Kanangra, How is training going mate, and whats the next race ?

Stubbsy

Q9.....I hashed up that Q. by inadvertently mixing the names of Kerry Melville and Renae Stubbs.

Q10....check your Tassie HIM & IMOZ results 2003...anything?

Kerry,

All well here thanks mate. Thought I might do Yeppoon and Gold Coast in the lead up to Hawaii.

After I get back I thought Port HIM. World LC, IM WA, then Canberra HIM.

That just about takes me up to Tassie HIM in Jan. '07. Looking forward to it already.

Steve.

Mr Stubbs. Very passionate and can do man. Top bloke who's got a funny dog with no eyes and farts all the time!!

As others have said, puts on a top race.

Its been a quiet suburb here in Melbourne since stubbsy left. Mind you, Kerry would find a few more training partners on his doorstep these days. There's 5 of us live all within a stone's throw of the old Stubbs manor.

Well done on your work in Triathlon too dude.