Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions With Yurtie

Hey Simon, are you ready to go with 10 quick questions?

1. Yurtie, standard opener,brief biographical sketch, family members included?

2. Hey, you forgot to mention you are an old school mate of Roxi's and you formerly lived in the Shire...we need that too.

3. Yurtie, going IM, it looks like you are BOP....but there's a hint there that if you ever put a run together you might move up sharply....is that important...or is it mostly social? Don't get me wrong it's probably no fun either, but anyway what is your primary reasonfor participation?

4. Simon, having said that, it looks like you actually want to go longer, having already done at least one ultra leg (swim).Is that your aim, the longer stuff?

5. And Simon, it also looks like you put your hand in the race organisation side...with Pantthers? Would you comment?

6. Therefore Simon, any further ambition on the volunteer side?

7. Yurts, dispell rumours here please, sensational better half Snoo, has been known to fondle an AFL player replica doll....tthat player is having an off year...question as always...team might survive, how about the doll?

8. Simon, I'm not sure about this...do you still occasionally commute to work? Descibe the route?

9. Yurts, trick question here, I'm frequently asked to hit Bernie with 10 hard and low questions (that's a quote) Shall I throw caution to the wind and hit her hard?

10.Simon, 10, 000 metre race onthe track.....runner is forced to step off the tack into the infield, but comes back on track...finishes the race and wins....DQ or not?

11. Yurts....you are offered a free trip to Kona...spectator and support for a mate who's doing the race....but Snoo & daughter can't go.....do you go ahead?

12. Simon,did you mention it earlier, previous sports background, prior to Triathlon & how did you first get into Tris.

13. The Bonus, current training partners, who are they and who gives the greatest motivation?

Sorry, had to rush through them...still having some difficulty with server connection here.

1. Yurtie, standard opener,brief biographical sketch, family members included?

That’s an easy one. There’s me, 37 years old, Snoo and Rosella. I have no siblings, no dad and no grandparents. Snoo’s folks live in Scotland. We live in a yurt in the Blue Mountains and get kangaroos in the garden.

If you want to know what a yurt is go Here

2. Hey, you forgot to mention you are an old school mate of Roxi's and you formerly lived in the Shire...we need that too.

Not quite. Roxi and I grew up in neighbouring suburbs. He was in Birrong and I was in Chester Hill. He went to Benedicts and I went to Granville Pats. We probably played against each other in footy and we probably rode bikes at The Hilly’s but we didn’t know each other.

I’d forgotten I once lived in The Shire!! LOL!! I lived in Woronora for 6 months in 1988 when I was working at The Royal Hotel in Sutherland.

3. Yurtie, going IM, it looks like you are BOP....but there's a hint there that if you ever put a run together you might move up sharply....is that important...or is it mostly social? Don't get me wrong it's probably no fun either, but anyway what is your primary reason for participation?

I have now done three Ironman’s and each time the run has been far and away my worst leg. I average a 1:19 swim, 7:00 bike and 6:30 run which for me is totally unacceptable. I believe that I am capable of a 12:30 to 13:00 IM if I could put the run together. The run at Port Mac this year was a disaster for me and it all came down to not enough training. Quite simply, work just got in the way. I think I would have lost about 20-30 lunchtime training runs due to pressure of work. It’s all very well for people to say, “you still finished”, but you know, for me, walking ¾ of the run is a failure. The worst part is that getting off the bike I felt good. I enjoyed the hills and I was running strongly and then whammo! I couldn’t run, I couldn’t do anything. Coming to the end of the first lap I downed 2 cups of Gatorade to make myself spew and that helped me run again for a bit, but heading into the hills again, I was all over the place. I was even trying to convince myself that if I pretended to trip over a log, someone would come and get me and take me back to the finish. I am still very angry with myself about this.

So, to answer your question, what is my primary reason? I don’t know. I like the social side, I like the feeling of being involved in something special, I love the swim and I love the finish chute. But the expense can be a problem though.

4. Simon, having said that, it looks like you actually want to go longer, having already done at least one ultra leg (swim).Is that your aim, the longer stuff?

Yes, very much so. Living in the Blue Mountains, I do most of my long runs through the bush with my long time running buddy Poider and now also with Sean Greenhill. We look at it like Wild Magazine but running and we’ve found some beautiful places that most people never get to see.

Going into the Sri Chinmoy 15k swim last year was an amazing feeling. This was certainly something that I really didn’t know if I’d be able to finish or not and I had plenty of butterflies in the days prior to it. But the 15k was over much more quickly than I thought it would be. I had some painful moments around the 7k mark but once I hit 10k there was no turning back.

I’m hoping to do the whole thing solo next year but we’ll see. It’s a big commitment especially for the family, not only the race but the training beforehand too so it would be a family decision not just mine. I would also like to do at least one Ultra Marathon each year.

5. And Simon, it also looks like you put your hand in the race organisation side...with Panthers? Would you comment?

No, I never did and I wouldn’t with Panthers. You may be getting confused with Bright Orange Events who did the Eastern Creek 12hr. And I have also been slightly involved with Polaris

6. Therefore Simon, any further ambition on the volunteer side?

I would like to run my own race one day and have a few ideas along that line. An off road marathon and a 12hr running race similar in format to the 12hr mtb races with teams. There was also some talk about a race for the Mt Victoria great Train Weekend.

I am currently coaching a woman in America to her first Ironman. She is a 46 year old mother of twins and when she asked on the Tri-DRS site for advice on whether she could finish an IM going on her previous times, I was the only one who didn’t say “You’ll get there if you want it bad enough” or something similar so she asked me to coach her. As I’m not a qualified coach I don’t charge her anything. It’s been an enjoyable experience and a steep learning curve and I would like to do more coaching in the future. She did an 80 minute pb at Eagleman last week which was good.

I’d also like to do more writing. I have my own column in mountainbiking Australia magazine but would like to write for other publications. I’m starting to do a bit for Inside Tri magazine and will probably do more. There may be a new magazine starting up out of New Zealand in the next 12 months or so which I have agreed to contribute to.

7. Yurts, dispell rumours here please, sensational better half Snoo, has been known to fondle an AFL player replica doll....that player is having an off year...question as always...team might survive, how about the doll?

Yes, Snoo has a cardboard cut out of Hames Hird. I don’t know about fondling it but it certainly it has pride of place along with my postcard of Miss Hooley. Snoo has been known to paint her nails black with a red sash and to queue up for tickets to the 96 preliminary final which I find funny from someone who “doesn’t like sport”

8. Simon, I'm not sure about this...do you still occasionally commute to work? Descibe the route?

No occasionally about it unfortunately. I have a 110km commute to work every day and then 110km back again. One day a week I drive in with shirts/trousers etc. The other days I catch a train down to Springwood and ride the single speed in (65km) or I run in from Westmead (13km). At the moment I am running about 65km per week so not much riding. I made the decision a couple of years back never to train in the evening because it’s not fair on Snoo and Rosella. This means that I rarely get more than 10-12hrs a week for training which probably relates a little bit to question 3. But family is definitely more important and it doesn’t matter what I do in the mornings whilst they’re asleep but I like to be with them in the evenings.

This morning for instance I got up at 3:50am to catch the 4:34 train to run into work. This is one reason why it pisses me off when people like Jimmy C say that you’re not trying hard enough because I don’t believe everyone’s situation is the same and I for one am doing my best to strike a balance.

9. Yurts, trick question here, I'm frequently asked to hit Bernie with 10 hard and low questions (that's a quote) Shall I throw caution to the wind and hit her hard?

Sure, why not? I’m sure plenty of people would like explanations of some of her actions. By the same token Bernie has a perfect right not to answer them if she so wishes. But who knows, maybe she would like the chance to explain things that other people have misunderstood.

10.Simon, 10, 000 metre race onthe track.....runner is forced to step off the tack into the infield, but comes back on track...finishes the race and wins....DQ or not?

I’m guessing that if they are bumped off by another runner then not, but if they choose to run off the track then yes. I’m ready to be corrected on this one though. I would’ve like Mike Reilly’s question. If a spinner hits the batsman on the pad the umpire has to assume it was going straight ahead.

11. Yurts....you are offered a free trip to Kona...spectator and support for a mate who's doing the race....but Snoo & daughter can't go.....do you go ahead?

Probably not, no.

12. Simon,did you mention it earlier, previous sports background, prior to Triathlon & how did you first get into Tris.

I played schoolboy rugby league and cricket. Had a batting record for Parramatta district under 12 for a while and also had a trophy for 100 catches in a season (Catholic schools play a lot of cricket) as I was in first slip and we had a couple of good seamers. I played AFL for London Hawks, Sussex Swans and Sydney Western Suburbs. I’m a bit like AJ in that I’m competent in all ball sports without being outstanding

I did a lot of mountainbiking and joined a team as the cyclist for the Sydney JLL Challenge which was a 2 day race from Katoomba to Sydney via Richmond. The second day was a bunch ride from Richmond to Rydalmere and it was my first time on a road bike and I was shitting bricks. It was pissing with rain but I absolutely loved it and we went and did the next 2 Melbourne JLL Challenges which went from Mt Buller to the Princes St boat sheds in Melbourne. Well, the last time was a lot of trouble because I was geared up for the race but the other team members weren’t. The kayaker in fact did no training at all which was embarrassing as we had sponsors and everything. I did well in the bike coming 33rd overall and I decided that from then on I wouldn’t worry about a team, I’d do it solo. So how do you train for multisport? By doing tris of course so I joined Panthers who I have to say are an incredibly cliquey club. No one talks to you unless you hob nob it with the A-list and if you’re “just the wife” forget it. I have more friends at Cronulla Tri Club now and I will probably join them in the future instead.

13. The Bonus, current training partners, who are they and who gives the greatest motivation?

Current training partners are Poider (lurker) and Sean Greenhill. My riding buddy is Justin Bagge who is an Elite level mountainbiker. I always swim alone unfortunately. Not sure who gives me the most motivation. I enjoy anything written by Peter Reefman and I get a lot of encouragement from my running coach Debi Bernades Debi BernadesApart from that I try to provide my own motivation although swapping ideas of stupidly long trail runs with Poider and Sean is a lot of fun. I even thought I'd like to swim the Caledonian Canal one day which is one side of Scotland to the other. It'd be fun catching the bus to the start from my mother in law's front gate!

Sorry, had to rush through them...still having some difficulty with server connection here.

No probs K2, it’s been very enjoyable.

Edited by Yurtie

Good insight there Yurtie. Training in the bush sounds fantastic, but 110km commute each way to work! Wow!

After spending the weekend with the Yurtfolk, I must admit that is some backyard he has to run in,,, freaking cold though. Saw the kangaroos in the front yard (scared them off with the ute actually :lol: ) and it bloody well snowed in the afternoon.

PS The way Yurtie was running on Sunday morning he is certainly capable of much better things at IM if he puts it all together,,, couldnt even get past him in a sprint finish.

Loved your answer to No 8 Yurtie! But what a commute and what a time to get up!! (I can understand Ronnie doing it in her climate, but yours...!!) You must have bags under your eyes permanently or go to bed at 8pm!

Excellent work again K2 and great replies Yurtie.

K2 you've REALLY found your niche.

Yurtie I'm thinking about the 3 day as well. Maybe we should see if we can do some (virtual) training together... :lol:

Well that's it then if you get around to doing the Sri Chinmoy ultra we'll claim you as being from the Shire!

Those yurts are very interesting, I think I've seen a couple similar down in Stanwell Park. I sympathise with the contraints of training time, especially when work starts putting pressure on. I've noticed over the years my job puts more pressure on me to do a lot more and as I have more lard arsed managers they just don't have a clue about how important training is, most seem to think to finish an IM it is like you are born with some natural gift of endurance.

Another interesting read. JimmyC is right though it really is a matter of training, sometimes though you have to make a conscious decision that other things take priority and that it means not getting to a desired level of performance (something he'd realise and agree with I'm sure - he isn't the fascist he seems :lol: ). At 37 you have a lot of time Yurtie to choose your season, when Rosella is a little older and Snoo is happy to see you out of the house more! I didn't do my first IM until I was 41. I still think I have a few more left in the tank but I'll just have to wait until all the planets come into alignment and the season is right (you know health, fitness, free time, the right training partners, family's agreement etc.).

Edited by Slowman

Slowy you're right about the be patient thing. It's just that somehow you always want everything to be perfect right now.

Also, this wasn't designed to be an attack on Jimmy C. He was just the first name to come to mind. I was just trying to point out that peoples circumstances are different and saying that someone isn't trying hard enough isn't necessarily helpful.

I would also add that just because someone is a nice guy in person doesn't mean they can be as obnoxious as they like on a message board. I'm sure John Howard's friends say he's OK once you get to know him.

Edited by Yurtie

Loved your answer to No 8 Yurtie!  But what a commute and what a time to get up!! (I can understand Ronnie doing it in her climate, but yours...!!)  You must have bags under your eyes permanently or go to bed at 8pm!

209334[/snapback]

Absolutely !

I only get out of bed at that time , once annually , to race IM.

Very admirable how you have managed to squeeze it in and strike the balance.

Great read , thanks !

:lol: