Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions With Hilly

Will bere in a few hours...no go areas marked in red.....no names, no nicknames, no ID checks.......CANNOT believe I missed the soccer, what a result, it's just a decent result against Croatia now. Ithink getting the 3rd goal might be important too.

Hilly's warming up just now....

Back to you later OHD...historical win, it was...what are you talking about?

Hilly....hope he shows.

1. Mr. Hill, brief biographical sketch please, take your time....inc. your sports background too. Inc. marital status, kids.

2. Mr. Hill, how many IM races have you competeted in, mention the highs but also give us the low points.

3. Hilly, as you may have mentioned, you continue to live in Christchurch, personal choice you said earlier....is that your home forever?

4. OK, Hilly, a lot a top gun triathletes meet to train down there, with Scott Molina..for a pro, what are the training living arrangements down there...anyway, how does the whole thing work...explain fullly, including travelling arrangments if they decide to train else where.....what I mean is, don't they also locate in the US and at Kona part of the year?

5. Mate, do you have any vested interest in triathlon....sponsorship or any paid consultancy....anything like that?

6. Hilly, I mentioned before, would you agree, the European athlete has been dominant on the world IM stage since the mid '90's. True? If so what's your explanation of that?

7. Mr. Hill, out of the blue you tipped me Faris Al Sultan to win at Kona in 2004. Frankly, I barely heard of the guy, and of course Faris didn't get the win until'05..Hilly what did you see then that lead you to that bold prediction? And having answered....how far will he go in his career?

8. Hilly, Epic Camp.....have the subsequent results of all athletes attending, justified the trime & expense...give examples please?

9. Hilly, at times you pop up anywhere in the world, but tantalisingly you usually manage to be at Kona, Arizona (during IM)....how do you work that out?

10. Hilly, inevitable question here...you seem to be on a first name, nick name basis with all the tri luminaries......that must be nice....so what do they call you?

11.I knew you would say that, anyway, truth be known your name is often whispered around the forum.....OHD even told me your name 4 times....using 4 diff. names even :lol: .......since everyone seems to know you by now....would you take this opportunity before signing off, to mention the real monicker....yes or no?

12. Teasing a little, anyway, Mr. Hill, in case you haven't mentioned it already, what lies ahead for the Hilly family?

13. Mate, promise 2 more only. Mate,you are umpiring in Grade Cricket....Warney type on, getting good lift and turn from outside leg stump...and he's appealing for LBW's...which you correctly give not out....he's really turing it sharply too...so now he inadvertently bowls a full toss on off stump....hits the batsman plumb...but would have bounced before hitting the stumps....massive appeal....what's your call?

14. Hilly, sorry mate, thanks for your patience....any humurous anacdote from triathlon you want to add?

Thanks Hilly, nice to have you on with us here. (If he shows :lol:

Sorry to take so long to get to these but I wanted to put some thought into them and I had some business mid day to take care of .

1. Mr. Hill, brief biographical sketch please, take your time....inc. your sports background too. Inc. marital status, kids.

Married 2 boys , born in Oceanside CA , moved to Del Mar at about 6 . Studied at UCLA , majored in Exercise Physiology . Ran track 10000m in 31.52 - not fast enough to do anything with , played water polo and swam 17.19 for the 1500 again not fast enough for anything . Discovered surfing , went to Spain and France in 81/82 , Slowman and Parky will tell you that 81 France and Spain were basically undiscovered . Came back to SoCal discovered triathlons dabbled in a few moved to Sunshine Coast Queensland for several years and spent some time in Sydney chasing a gal ,mainly Cronulla and around Collaroy . Did a few tris whilst in Qld . Missed out on the gal (luckily) moved back to San Diego which was full on the triathlon capital of the world , due to a couple of very fortuitous investments both in Australia , France and SoCal was able to live quite comfortably . Met another incredible lady , got married and had 2 little boys , 8 & 10 , moved to Beautiful ChCh about 5 years ago bought & sold more property and did well on some Tech stocks , Despite owning a property right near the beach at Noosa , ChCh will be our home , fantastic place for the kids to grow up and fantastic training facilities , if a little bit cold and white at the moment . I love shovelling snow to be able to walk out the front door . Also spent a couple of summers in Boulder . Some of these dates and timeline are slightly out but given the period involved its pretty close

2. Mr. Hill, how many IM races have you completed in, mention the highs but also give us the low points.

Couldn't tell you , possibly 25+ by now , France , Canada , Japan , USA , Hawaii and a couple of non official Ironman , Dave Stadingers Mid West classic remains a favorite . Highs ? Achieving the high standard I set for myself , making others around me happy and appreciative of my efforts , supporting others to achieve their goals , paying dividends to those that supported me in one way or another . Lows ? Not meeting my standards , not being able to break 3 hours on the run despite being able to run 2.30 straight marathon , not breaking 9.00hrs , got close very very close 9.04 which included a LOT of walking now THAT was a disappointment.

Biggest low ? Allowing my Achilles to become as chronic as it is now , should of had a year off back in 01 but pushed on , now I can barely run on it but I still do. There's a lesson here somewhere. As a result I'm basically retired now.

3. Hilly, as you may have mentioned, you continue to live in Christchurch, personal choice you said earlier....is that your home forever?

ChCh is epic ! Where else can you ski , train and surf all in one day ? Well maybe San Diego but its not nearly as polluted or busy , Terrain is varied some great climbs lots of flats , fantastic swimming facilities , Great coaches , if it wasn't so cold everyone would or should move here , thankfully they don't.

Its relatively safe , folks are friendly

My wife is happy here , the kids have got great teachers at school - apart from the Cost of Living ChCh has everything

Home for ever ? Open to that one

4. OK, Hilly, a lot a top gun triathletes meet to train down there, with Scott Molina..for a pro, what are the training living arrangements down there...anyway, how does the whole thing work...explain fullly, including travelling arrangments if they decide to train else where.....what I mean is, don't they also locate in the US and at Kona part of the year?

No apart from the Swedish doodes , not many venture down to ChCh , I don't know why , everything is here . MOlina was here first for many years before anyone came down , obviously because of Erin . Tinley came and visited his pal but not really trained. Colleen Cannon and husband Howie were the first to really start training in ChCh , Grip followed with Julie , mostly week long camps around the ChCh area . Pauli Kiuru was the first big name pro to base himself here for an extended period. , he rented the same house 6 years straight whilst preparing for Forster . Gordo obviously has placed ChCh on the map through his efforts of recent years and the focus he brings to both his training and the area.

Contrary to popular belief the triathlon scene in ChCh does not centre it self from Scott's gym or Gordo's old house .

5. Mate, do you have any vested interest in triathlon....sponsorship or any paid consultancy....anything like that?

I do some consultancy work , coach several athletes including 2 I met and approached me from this board , too old and slow to be sponsored , occasionally I'll get free stuff thrown at me to wear but unless its really good I dont bother . I was / am co-writing a book but it has dropped to the backburner for a while

6. Hilly, I mentioned before, would you agree, the European athlete has been dominant on the world IM stage since the mid '90's. True? If so what's your explanation of that?

Europe has caught up period .

But can you say Tim de Boom and Peter Reid ? Sure their has been a lot of top Europeans , but maybe its just seems that way because the Americans havn't been as dominant as they once were , also the Europeans have a strict adherence to discipline and that helps with their training regimes . Many of the Europeans have an Army background so that obviously helps with the discipline factor .

Plus with more races there are more victories to share around and you a re right the depth of American talent is not what it once was . But there is a lot of talented second string American pros racing IM , guys like Lovato , Lieto , Widoff . IMO there are now too many Ironman races worldwide.

Europeans have always been strong - guys like Barel , Kuferschmidt in the very early 80s were challengers , then came Wolfy , Doc Muller then Jurgen , Thomas et al to the present day . I have a sneaking suspicion that we are going to see a world class triathlete come out of J'burg before too long and I know Raynard is going great guns but I think someone else will step up to the plate very soon.

7. Mr. Hill, out of the blue you tipped me Faris Al Sultan to win at Kona in 2004. Frankly, I barely heard of the guy, and of course Faris didn't get the win until'05..Hilly what did you see then that lead you to that bold prediction? And having answered....how far will he go in his career?

Damm Straight I did , and if you had of been around I would have tipped you Luc van Lierde & TdB too . You get a gut feel for how a guy is going from talking to him , I was fortunate to talk with Faris weeks before IMH and I knew he was ready , his base numbers were excellent , well he didn't but he showed enough to suggest he would the next year . Plus Faris is a real low key type of guy , not full of bluster , I like that . For the record I actually tipped Cam to come second in 05 as well . How far will Faris go ? Don't know , competition is getting tougher each year , Forget about his effort in Sth Africa this year , he was a bit soft going into that . Too early yet to predict this year but there will be a surprise or two challenging again this year .

Having said that I'm looking forward to Gerrard Schellens next race - reminds me a little of that little aussie guy that had a bit of success a ways back

8. Hilly, Epic Camp.....have the subsequent results of all athletes attending, justified the trime & expense...give examples please?

Don't know you will have to ask the participants them selves what their expectations are . Stephen Bayliss recently had a great race in Brazil . Who had heard of him before then ? Seems to work well for Gordo .Some folks just love training so I guess Epic camp suits them to a tee

9. Hilly, at times you pop up anywhere in the world, but tantalisingly you usually manage to be at Kona, Arizona (during IM)....how do you work that out?

Shrewd investments and thousands and thousands of loyalty points and upgrade stickers! I really want to take the family to Sth Africa and China next year

10. Hilly, inevitable question here...you seem to be on a first name, nick name basis with all the tri luminaries......that must be nice....so what do they call you?

I was lucky , in San Diego in the mid late 80's it was triathlon central , pop into Carlo's and Annies for a burger and Grip might be there with Huddle , go to Swamis and ST and Jeff would be getting out from a surf , go shopping and Julie Moss and the Wendles would be there , it was like a fraternity then . Unfortunately I dont see that camaraderie as much these days . Some of these pro guys wouldn't call shark if they saw one swimming towards you , that's sad .

Actually most call me Hilly , hilly is a nick that came about because every morning before a ride I would say " is it hilly today ?" Over the course of my time on Transitions several people have posted under my log-on depending who was around at the time . So it can be quite a schizophrenic log on too.

11.I knew you would say that, anyway, truth be known your name is often whispered around the forum.....OHD even told me your name 4 times....using 4 diff. names even .......since everyone seems to know you by now....would you take this opportunity before signing off, to mention the real monicker....yes or no?

Yes I raced Paul in the early days on Aust Triathlon , I think the score maybe 1 each - not sure if I ever talked to the dude but he posted a couple of things that jigged my memory and I think I asked him or you even who OHD was and I checked some results , I actually dont think he likes me that much for some reason , Paul ??? I'd say one of the 4 that Pauly gave you was correct.

You know when I first started here , I came on to correct some bullshit that I was told about or saw about something , honestly cant remember what it was now , but it was total and utter crap and quite hurtful to the person involved , I hung around for a while and I actually posted my name numerous times and then after I stopped signing my name then the mystery started , I think it was Nick who first started questioning because he was jealous of the info I was posting , LOL . So then it became funny . BTW Australian Triathlon is very lucky to have a guy like Nick , I dont always agree with what he says ( eg: he doesnt understand why Dave Scott is held in high regard ? What ???) but his integrity and dedication to the sport is well known . As a RD he is up there with the best .

Actually I'm not sure why I post here because for me Sportzhub is more relevant as is Socal tri and Slowtwitch , This site amuses me , you have people like Slowman with his cerebal posts , damm I'd love to see him in a conversation with G . MMW posts always amuse me and give me a smile , just his style of writing , then there's folks like Blew and his stoopid questions like the recent one "does Ironman rig the lottery draw to get BOP athletes in the race :" when I told him they didn't have the time to go through all the results someone popped up and said it was easy to design a spreadsheet . That had me laughing for weeks.

Also like reading posts from folk like Ronnie who have a dream and are working their way towards it . Must have goals in this life otherwise your going nowhere . Always thought Ronnie was a guy until a couple of years ago !

The funniest thing was about a year ago someone ( well known , prolific and hi profile) wrote me and offered $200.00 for my log-on , not sure if he was serious or not , I wrote him back and said 1k and never got a response So ____ if your still interested ?

12. Teasing a little, anyway, Mr. Hill, in case you haven't mentioned it already, what lies ahead for the Hilly family?

Going to Boulder very shortly to look at some property up near Sugerloaf and also in town . Back to ChCh , will be in Queenstown in January for the Challenge race , whom I wish the very best of luck , they have a great team down there and the race deserves to be and will be a success. Kona obviously in October and if I can get time perhaps Canada , both for looks only . As I said I want to go to China and Sth Africa next year and the kids want to go to Hong Kong and the new Disneyland .Believe it or not I have never been to HK in all my travels so we may well end up there.

13. Mate, promise 2 more only. Mate,you are umpiring in Grade Cricket....Warney type on, getting good lift and turn from outside leg stump...and he's appealing for LBW's...which you correctly give not out....he's really turing it sharply too...so now he inadvertently bowls a full toss on off stump....hits the batsman plumb...but would have bounced before hitting the stumps....massive appeal....what's your call?

Having lived in Australia and NZ I know what cricket is , believe it or not I actually have been to a game at Lancaster Park , to see what it is all about . But I have no idea what you are talking about . If the batsmen was a good guy I would let him stay in , but if he was a DH he would be sent out. I love it how the referee gives the players the bird when they send them out.

14. Hilly, sorry mate, thanks for your patience....any humurous anacdote from triathlon you want to add?

Heeps and heeps - but I don't tell them well , many things happen on rides and during races that are amusing , many times you had to be there . What amuses me probably wont amuse the masses . Guaranteed that if you are training with a Molina , a Huddle , Tinley , Souza etc there are gonna be laughs . I wish my scheduled coincided with Welchies a bit more casue I'm sure the laughs would have come thick and plentiful.

Oh yeah just want to add that my great grandfather James was the strongest man in the world , he once forced the jaws of a lion open to save a person from being eaten , now he was a hero.

Thanks Hilly, nice to have you on with us here.

It was a pleasure and props to you K2 for this series , I hope mine was as interesting as some of the others. I really thought that you would have asked me a question comparing the good ole days to now days . I had that answer all prepared so with your indulgence I will post my own Q 15

Q15 Hilly folks like you and MMW always talk about the good ole days why is that ?

Well thanks for asking this questions its something quite dear to my heart . In the early days it was fun , entry fees were cheap there was free beer and a feed at the finish line occasionally , a lot of races had a surf swim , so you and your buddies could dive in the surf for bodysurf after the race was over , but prior to the race the training was fun too , it was a chance to hang out with mates and shoot the bull , you might race to the city limits sign and wager a sixer on it , race to the top of the hill etc and at the end of the day you'd buy pizzas and beers and sit back and reflect and some guy like Jimmy or Dale would bring his guitar out . I dont see that these days , maybe it happens but there is too much crap in the way . The famed San Diego Tuesday runs , different route each week , you could be out for an hour or 3 hours , if you got lost you may be gone for 5 hours but someone would be waiting to make sure you got back . Likewise the Wednesday ride , follow Molina into new territory each week , definitely got a great workout . Now days its , cant run long Tuesday coach says I have to do 75% max HR intervals on the 1.15 - thats bullshit . I see young guys with no background in triathlon and they swear undivided allegience to what their coach says - Thats Bullshit too . The sport should be fun , training should be flexible to allow for some fun . Sure there is a place for structure but flexibility is the key here . Ocean Swim on Saturday - nope Coach has me swimming 40 xs 100 - guys have got to be strong enough to question their coach and form an opinion . I'm yet to see proof that the young guys of today are any faster than the guys of yesteryear

Was at a race a few years ago , doesn't matter which one , lady in her mid 40's took her helmet off before she racked her bike( about an hour or more behind the leader in an OD race) - was Dq'd . Not told to put it back on and re rack which would be common sense but straight out Dq'd . Now do you think she will race a triathlon again ? What about her kids and friends ? Nope that would have left a particuarlarly sour taste in her mouth . Guy that Dq'd her was blatantly overweight and probably never even thought about racing a triathlon , but he had a striped umpire shirt on and that gave him the power .

Rules and politics have ruined the sport IMHO .

Likewise some folk were looking for a triathlon course and asked me for advice , I suggested a beach swim because there was a lovely sandy beach would have made for a safe start , either beach or deepwater and for the all important spectacular start photo and it had a ready made transition right there in the parking lot - Nope ! Can't have a surf swim , no-one will enter , What ???? Last bit of help I gave those dudes , they ended up swimming in a murky lake full of reeds 30 mile sout of town , of course it received no publicity and wasnt held the following year . Are we all really that soft these days ? Or is the it the Insurance fiasco ?

I could rabbit on on this topic for quite a ways but enoughs enough , thanks for listening

Sounds like a great life :lol::lol::D

Nope ! Can't have a surf swim , no-one will enter , What ???? Last bit of help I gave those dudes , they ended up swimming in a murky lake full of reeds 30 mile sout of town , of course it received no publicity and wasnt held the following year . Are we all really that soft these days ? Or is the it the Insurance fiasco ?

It is tragic isn't it???

great read, thanks Hilly.

Yes I raced Paul in the early days on Aust Triathlon , I think the score maybe 1 each - not sure if I ever talked to the dude but he posted a couple of things that jigged my memory and I think I asked him or you even who OHD was and I checked some results , I actually dont think he likes me that much for some reason , Paul ??? I'd say one of the 4 that Pauly gave you was correct.
God damn, now i'm confused. I don't dislike you, i hated the fact that everyone was asking me who you were and i simply didn't know. I still don't know for certain. I figure that if you want to remain anon., then it's your right. I threw some names to K2 once who i thought you were, and i reckon i got it nailed, but thats as far as i'll go with that......unless of course you PM me. When did we race? U must of DNF'd, i didn't beat many, i was crap. Oh....and did you still want those winners names from the Coral Coast? edit....i enjoy reading your tri knowledge. Edited by detai

Guest Mister Marsellus Wallace

wotta good bloke.

Maybe you could answer a trick question for me - well actually not a trick but I think you know the answer.

What was the top 3 in the 1984 Mooloolaba Triathlon? If you answer that one correctly I think I've finally worked out your true ID. PM if ya like. For the record I was 12th.

Gee this is very entertaining reading over a few very tasty cold beers....

John Hellemans........bugger me

were the other 2 Philips and Wells or one of the Forbes?

Edited by detai

The funniest thing was about a year ago someone ( well known , prolific and hi profile) wrote me and offered $200.00 for my log-on , not sure if he was serious or not , I wrote him back and said 1k and never got a response So ____ if your still interested ?

Hitman said "$225 tops. Final offer."

Guest Freak

Great read Hilly, leaarnt alot from you. Although I still don't quite believe that Paul was once a triathlete, but hey we lost the ashes as well so who would have thought! :lol::D

Re MMW's q's was Foster one? I'll have to ask him in the morning, I'll have the answers then :lol:

Hilly, anyone who mentions me is a good bloke :lol: interesting read and interesting to read about your view on how things have changed. The loss of the camaraderie seems to be a byproduct of increasing professionalism and the whole fun removal (read no surf swims) I think is profit motivated as much if not more than for insurance reasons. Xterra races while they lasted here had some of what triathlon had lost.

Bring back the surf swims!

Always enjoy your posts Hilly- thanks for the info. Stuff like yours gives people like me (i.e. relative newcomers) insight into the sport. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the nice feedback all.

Also if you folk have any particular topic you would like to hear about , happy to write about it for you from my perspective

Also if you folk have any particular topic you would like to hear about , happy to write about it for you from my perspective

yep - coaching .... please

Thanks Hilly (and K2 of course). Another very good interrogation :lol:

Really interesting to read all about Hilly's-world. But reading it made me really wanna know who this guy was (for some reason, never really felt I wanted/needed to before). So spent HOURS looking back at all the epic old who-is-Hilly threads to no avail... Anyway I guess life will go on.

One thing I feel about the retrospective stuff, which is great by the way and don't take this the wrong way because there's a lot of respect here, but... Even if the old days of tri/multisport were indeed great and more fun and everything, and even if today's athletes aren't upto the level of their ancestors in terms of having fun and outright performance... Today is still pretty great and fun and everything. I can't keep up with how many literally incredible events and experiences there are available to endurance athletes, and parallel to that, I'm constantly meeting wave after wave of inspiring, piss-funny, and FUN people at these events (and generally everywhere in the sport).

It's still the good'ol days I think. :D. And thanks again whatever your name is :lol:

One thing I'd like to ask you about Hilly, is did you ever spend much time around David Bailey when he was racing Kona? David's a huge inspiration to me as I idolised him as a kid when I was racing mini-bikes and he was (arguably) the best MX rider in the world, and of course what he did at Kona was equally if not more impressive.

I alway like reading Hilly's stuff. Reefy I remember reading about Dave Bailey many many moons ago in mag's like Trail and Track and ADB (do they still exist?) What did he do at Kona? Mono one handed over the finish line or something?

Nah Hymes I wish that was the case. He actually had a bad crash in his prime (87 or 88 I think from memory) and became a paraplegic. But he took up wheelchair racing and ended up winning the disabled category on his 3rd attempt at Kona in a HUGE battle with Carlos Meleda. Since that he's gotten back into MX in the form of on of ESPN's commentators.

I went out on a limb and sent him an email in 03 when I was going over to see if he'd be there, as it'd be great to meet him. He replied and said while it was a great time of his life he'd given up IM to concentrate on the ESPN job. So I went to Kona a couple of years too late!...

So if Hilly caught up with the 'other' Dave right in the thick of his own iron-war, I'd love to hear about it.

Yeah, ADB is definitely still going. Check your local, it should be there. I used to be addicted to that mag in the early 80s, esp. the classic quotes and cartoons. Bailey, Johnny O'mara, Gall etc. were all awesome.

Last I saw Johnny O was racing (road) bicycles about 10-15 years ago. Bicycling mag. did a road test of a custom Felt (built by Jim Felt himself) at about the time that PNF started riding Felts in Kona. That seems to be where Felt made the switch to building bicycles and not welding up works MX bikes.

Hilly, thanks for your comments. Always good value. Now you've got me trying to place you too!!

Hilly,

I know that you do this sort of stuff for a living so I would be really interested in your comments on this article.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Amateur-r...9964643228.html

You have not ever involved yourself in the heart "disease" related threads (if my memory serves) on Transitions and there have been a number of them. I understand that there may be professional reasons not to respond to this question as well but I hope you will because it is an issue dear to a number on the site (including me).

thanks in advance.

yep - coaching .... please

208993[/snapback]

He's already written about that ... best triathlon coaching manual out there.

Good answers Hilly, and good questions K2.

Yeah - I wasn't asking how to coach- plenty of good books on that (of which I'm sure his is one of the best) - just his opinion on it's place in the sport of triathlon

Hilly,

just remembered your last question to me a month ago in a PM and the correct answer is;

"Ha ha no, I'm just a garbage man"

Correct question was:

"are you a surfer man, do you surf?" Took me a while but the penny dropped.

Great read Hilly.