Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions with Foxy Lady

Hey Pam, I got a brief moment in my schedule...are you ready to go?

1. Foxy, you know you sometimes amaze us with your all round sports knowlege, I know you love AFL, but you are pulling out stuff on cycling & other sports in general...I know you don't get all that from reading The Age...so where does all the sports stuff come from?

2. Pam, currently you are riding and you did a couple of 100's...what are yor current goals other than keeping fit? I noticed almost every time you said never again, but you always bounce back...any comment?

3. Pam, you never did an IM, but I think you did get on a podium at one point, if I'm correct...can you recount that?

4. Pam, do you still belong to a Tri Club....if not currently, which one was it? Does the club offer coaching or group sessions.

5.Pam, I believe you have an option of relocating to another state....what are the pro's and cons on that?

6. Pam, like me your running has been restricted, I want to ask you, can you maintain a desirable fitness level without including any running at all?

7. Foxy, you have kids and a husband located far and wide....yet you keep the family unit intact in one way or another...how do you manage that?

8. Pam, are you a physio or massage therapist? Pam, how important do you rate massage in intensive training program and how often would you recommend massage.

9.Pam, AFL game, player with the ball is tackled while attempting get rid of the ball, opposing player prevents release of the ball...before the whistle blows, player with the ball loses the ball by letting it drop, both players hands being on the ball....free kick, ball up or play on?

10. Pam, if you don't mind, your goals for the future...sports wise please? Anything else you want mention?

11. Pam, BONUS QUESTION...not a question, my comment....I know from personal experience you gave a lot of support to people this forum, even opening your house more than once to people you hardly knew at that point. And you give a lot of supportive comments on the PM.....I wanted to mention that, comment only if you want to.

Thanks Pamela for your time.

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

Put some tought questions in there for her:

Pam, you have made friends with so many off this forum and through the triathlon avenues - who is your favorite?

You've been to alot of races to support many, many people. What one race/event or performance most justified your trip? by that, I mean which one gave you the most enjoyment?

Who has the best muscles you've ever layed your hands on......

Sorry for the delay, crook as a dog at the moment, so the brain is fuddled :lol:

1. Foxy, you know you sometimes amaze us with your all round sports knowlege, I know you love AFL, but you are pulling out stuff on cycling & other sports in general...I know you don't get all that from reading The Age...so where does all the sports stuff come from?

Dunno about loving AFL (especially this year :angry: ) but having grown up a stones throw from Windy Hill you sort of get into it. Started going to the footy in high school (well it was a good place to meet the boys!) Very embarrassing though as I trotted along in my Lee 'off white' canvas jeans and cute little red Bonds T-shirt...who were the Don's playing...South Melbourne :angry: Had a teacher at primary school, Peter Daniels who played for Essendon too.

Yeah enjoy sport, was never encouraged to do it as a kid - having parents who'd had it tough in the 40's they thought a good education was much better than playing sport...so probably a kick back from that. Wolfman got into cycling himself when he tore both medial ligaments playing tennis and there began our interest in cycling. Used to tape the segements of the Tour on Wide World of Sport on a Sat arvo for him while he was out riding!! sort of got addicted to it then. Enjoy watching track racing too. I enjoy the tactics of a race and the Grand Tours and seeing them unfold. I'd say I like it cos it's such a physical sport and a pure sport, but have become more jaded about all the drugs and 'enhancements' going on. Still, can't wait for this year's tour! Winner? Dunno. Basso or Landis would be good, not sure Jan can do it, but good on him if he can.

2. Pam, currently you are riding and you did a couple of 100's...what are yor current goals other than keeping fit? I noticed almost every time you said never again, but you always bounce back...any comment?

Yeah first 100km ride in April. Only other 100km was Trailwalker! Current goals? I try not to plan too much as if it doesn't happen, then I get frustrated and disappointed. Maybe 100km ride for ATB - yeah I know wussy, should do the whole thing, but time for training is an issue and the old body ain't what it used to be...got to look after it. Interesting you note that about me, I think I suffer after an event and think nah, never again, and also feel frustrated that I haven't done as well as I wanted to, but the enjoyment makes me want to have another crack. Did have another 100km ride planned, but crap weather meant it wasn't worth it. I guess it's a bit of a mental thing too, like Ronnie questioned recently - I find anything I participate in is a mental battle.

3. Pam, you never did an IM, but I think you did get on a podium at one point, if I'm correct...can you recount that?

No, just not prepared to put in the time it takes and take that time away from other more important things in my life. Though I should add, I was part of a team at 226 - I organized a team of girls - had two young girls share the swim, 3 of us did the bike ride, 60km each in the bushfire smoke, finishing at the Arch was special and then had two girls do the run. I think our ages nearly added up to 226! Umm podium...um...let me see if I have anything in the trophy cabinet.....ah did get a 3rd place female in a 10km with Coburg Harriers :D Was really funny as I was having fun trying to chase down two women in the last couple of kms, got a boost when one told me I was a strong runner as I passed her (yeah I noted she didn't say fast :angry: ) I got 2 of them in the last km and then got handed a trophy as I crossed the line! Don't think I ever placed in a tri - every race I entered there were at least 4 in my age group and any race I didn't enter for whatever reason there were only 2!!

4. Pam, do you still belong to a Tri Club....if not currently, which one was it? Does the club offer coaching or group sessions.

We have been with Mtrim since it's inception (or rebirth from Jones Cycles Tri Club) for about 8 years I guess. Won't be joining again for next season as I won't be doing tri's again in the foreseeable future. It's just time to move on. I will still be in contact with the people there who are important to me though. Club has a great running session which was the highlight of my week for a number of years, did the swim session for about 3 years, the cycling is a bit more ad hoc due to various levels/abilities and what others were training for.

5. Pam, I believe you have an option of relocating to another state....what are the pro's and cons on that?

Hmm, more than another state. Would be a big move and hard for me having only moved one suburb in the last 27 years!! But I'm 100% behind Wolfman in what he does, he's very very good at it and I believe in him and would live in the Antartic if it meant being with him. Can't really say much as nothing is certain, but will become clearer in the next few months. (Just might need this cyber contact more than ever though!!)

6. Pam, like me your running has been restricted, I want to ask you, can you maintain a desirable fitness level without including any running at all?

Yes, but running is the best thing for losing weight for me. *sigh* The cycling is good and I'm really enjoying my gym program. Doing 40mins straight cardio with that, crosstrainer/treadmill/rower. Did run 30mins on treadmill the other day, so hopeful of when stronger and possibly leaner of getting back into the running. Won't stress over it as I've run heaps of great races and done 2 half marathons.

As long as I can ride my bike, I'm happy.

7. Foxy, you have kids and a husband located far and wide....yet you keep the family unit intact in one way or another...how do you manage that?

No Wolfman is sitting at his desk right next to me as I type.... :lol:

Well we are a close family and I guess cos we put a lot of effort into family life when the kids were younger it has shown them the importance of a strong family. Email and mobile phones are great! Can email Kim daily in London and this morning's said my emails were the highlight of her day (apart from hometime ;) ) Also Muz and I put a lot of work into our marriage - 28 years next month. Probably him working in Sydney a lot for the last 18 months has been good in some ways - we value our time together even more. My tips for relationships? Communication and respect.

8. Pam, are you a physio or massage therapist? Pam, how important do you rate massage in intensive training program and how often would you recommend massage.

Background has always been admin. My expertise is people skills so currently being a practice manager for an Osteopathic Clinic suits me perfectly! I did a short course in sports massage, so it's not a qualification, but working in a similar industry really has helped. I think massage is vital as a recovery tool and maintaining the body, especially for those er, older triathletes! Depending on how much you train, fortnightly or weekly. I have one weekly. But above all STRETCH!!!

9.Pam, AFL game, player with the ball is tackled while attempting get rid of the ball, opposing player prevents release of the ball...before the whistle blows, player with the ball loses the ball by letting it drop, both players hands being on the ball....free kick, ball up or play on?

Free kick to the opposition. If the player with the ball was attempting to get rid of it he must have had prior opportunity. If he failed to dispose of the ball, while having the opportunity and is subsequently tackled with the ball, that is holding the ball. Anything that happens afterwards is overruled by the first infringement.

How's that sound? :D

10. Pam, if you don't mind, your goals for the future...sports wise please? Anything else you want mention?

No specific goals. I've seen too many people on this site set themselves goals only to have disappointments in various ways and see them feel shattered. Too frustrating to put too much into one or two events (for me anyway) Keep fit, some longer distance riding events.

Yeah couple of things I'd like to mention as they were questions I expected but didn't get!

Greatest influence in life? My Dad. Was a Ward of the State, grew up in a foster family out of Ballarat. Got himself a bike (a Quayle - hey maybe that's where I get my love of riding from!) and rode into Ballarat School of Mines 4 nights a week to do night school classes to better himself. Joined the Airforce at 18 and spent 4 years in UK. His life story is very fascinating, but he's just the best dad you could hope for and at 84 has a brilliant sense of humour and is as sharp as a tack. So when people complain about how life has dealt them a rough hand and it's not their fault they are like they are I look at my Dad and think, life is what you make it.

Wolfman has been the greatest encourager to me to achieve things I never thought I could. My first tri was only 300/8/2 but he made me believe I could do it. Always more than happy for me to go for a ride, or to the gym. He's just as happy to ride with me for the company than go on testosterone rides with the boys - though it is great fun to watch him tear off up the road after a pack, and then wait up for us up the road.

On the sporting side - been very encouraged by Doggerleduck and learnt a lot about cycling from him. BigKev has always been a great coach and encourager - no one loves triathlon as much as Kev and he passed that on to others. MrsBK is also very inspirational - her never say die attitude, especially during Trailwalker gave me more determination than she probably knows. Princess Fiona and Black Magic have given lots of encouragment and support to a middle aged, back of the packer too! Also an honourable mention to my long time training partner Belinda. First met in the pool at swim training about 7 years ago. Have run countless kms together and now ride together. We are very different people in a lot of ways, but it doesn't matter when you have a common interest.

You didn't ask about my sporting background :gathering: Ok so it was very thin...but getting called in the U11's side ball team at the last minute and winning a blue ribbon gave me a taste for winning!! Haa Haa! Did row with Essendon Ladies rowing Club for a season as a 16 year old..won every race we entered in our first season....but was 'made' to give it up due to school :D And it had nothing to do with the men's club being next door....

11. Pam, BONUS QUESTION...not a question, my comment....I know from personal experience you gave a lot of support to people this forum, even opening your house more than once to people you hardly knew at that point. And you give a lot of supportive comments on the PM.....I wanted to mention that, comment only if you want to.

Yeah can't help myself! I love people and helping others. Would probably rather do that than participate. That's why I love volunteering at events. And you can't go wrong having a cop or a Pom staying with you :cheers: Have met some great people thru here and made some very good friends.

Comment to you k2. You mention everyone else's names in their 10's, but not that bloke from NSW who apparently had some cricketing background? Any comment on that? :angry:

Now Black Magic - HOW could I tell who my favourites are ;) It would be about 25 people long! I will diplomatically side step that one :lol:

Best event to watch? Good question. Would undoubtly be Forster 2005. Seeing Doogerleduck doing his first IM at 60 was an inspiration, especially as he had cancer at the time (so great he's now in remission too!) Seeing Kiz put in such a gutzy performance and such a great PB was inspiring and I wished I had told you to stop being a girl when I saw you walking, but Coach Julie did that for me :angry: Great to encourage so many trannies too.

Haa haa - best muscles!! You want me to say you don't you?

OK..best body from a physiological perspective would have to be Dr. Lactic. Trouble is he asks too much from his body.

On the table...ok, you have the best back to massage and Canuck13 probably has the best legs. But of course Wolfman is the best cos he can strip right off....I better stop there :drunk:

Oh and all the best Black Magic for Sunday - looking forward to seeing you all togged up for the wedding of the century!

Edited by Foxy Lady

Comment to you k2. You mention everyone else's names in their 10's, but not that bloke from NSW who apparently had some cricketing background? Any comment on that?

Pamela again, there are a few posters on the forum who specifically requested not to have there names released....although these names have been whispered around. i have been specifically reminded in the past not to reveal the names of certain people.....PM me as you usually do, and I may tell you. :lol:

Great answers, almost exceeded the time limit, but just made it.

Q9. I was thinking play on as the tackler caused the spill, it's one of those umps interpretation calls...

No you said ball was held to him, then HE dropped the ball, two different actions!

But then the up is never right! Can I see the video replay of the incident? :lol:

I know his name - though never heard of him anyway- and the others I'm not interesting in knowing!! :D

Pam,

How far from Windy Hill did you used to live?

I lived in Raleigh Street for about 16 years. Was great whenever Essendon had a home game. Free parking and could leave for the game 5 mins before the start and still be in your seat before the first bounce....

Well, a pretty big stones throw!! Lived in North Essendon which became Strathmore, off the top of Bulla Road. Put the freeway thru a bit close to us! Went to North Essendon Primary then Strathmore Secondary. Yeah Raleigh St was pretty close alright. Took Wolfman to his first game there in about 83 (was about 7 months pregnant I recall) he couldn't get over the atmosphere there behind the goal posts compared to what you get on telly

Foxy,

Great answers. From reading your posts over time I was thinking that you seem like a real people person. Good onya for being that way. I really respect people like yourself who put so much value on family. Your tips on a successful marriage are spot on.

Stay safe mate

:lol: Well done Pam, beautifully handled!

Foxy was a great support on the run at Forster, I'll always remember that.

Stacey and I have been the recipients of Wolfy and Foxy's generosity, a great couple who we admire a lot. Can't speak highly enough of them.

I too attended Windy Hill as a kid in the '60's, making the trek from Clayton by 2 trains. Rules, Foxy....would you remember standing in the outer & not being able to see the left fwd pocket....relying on crowd noise to let you know what was happening.

Oh just a small fox will do thanks, David :lol:

K2, we also stood right in front of the under 18's bench - usually on empty beer cans so we could see (NOT our cans I hasten to add!) Can't remember the name of the stand - I think Dick Reynolds stand was behind the goal posts

Edited by Foxy Lady

Oh just a small fox will do thanks, David  :D

208305[/snapback]

uhmm NO!!! that would be too much like being branded :lol: I'm not a piece of beef or even beefcake :lol::D;):lol:

Great to get to know a bit more about you Pam...

Look forward to one day crossing paths and having a good chat...

Canuck13 has the best legs????

I've hear massage therapists in Perth are lining up for corrective surgery after breaking hands on those legs!

Does that also mean he's into hair removal these days :lol: ...

:lol:

He's got a bit soft since he moved over here Mel!

Well seeing as I don't massage hairy legs.... :lol: