Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions With Melschi

Going on Perth time here, this is posted, for response by AM, or later on Friday.

This is a "blind" interview, like a blind date with YoYo, you never know what you might get until he kindly offers to split the bill for dinner :D ......AP doesn't allow him out past 10 PM anyway :lol:

Hey Mel, thanks for agreeing to chat here.

1.Melchski, brief bio please, age, occupation, where you live & where you were brought up?

2. Mel, you did 3 IM's, what was the time range....did you go above or below expectations?

3. Mel, those 3 races were in a 12 month, or maybe 18 month period, I guess that's not unusual, but you did hesitate before finally deciding to do Forster, was that the right decision.

4. Mel, mate, what's more important, doing the race, or getting down there and having a dam good time....

5.Mel, you are asked to stand in referee at a basketball game, player dribbles the ball down court taking 3 steps, shooting the ball, which goes in the basket, and then crashing into a stationary player on court, knocking him or her down......what's your call.........ok, we will wait for your answer, ok?

6. Mel, in selecting a partner, life partner, would you select someone with a sports

background?

7.OK, thanks, Mel, on the WA sports calendar, inc. Tri, Road racing and biking, besides Busso, what are the biggest events and have you done any of them?

8. Hey, Mel, if you had to relocate for work.....and it's Sydney or Melbourne, would you go?

9. Mel, I can now disclose that Foxy Lady recommended you for this interview while politely declining to be interviewed herself.....would you like to say anything to Pam?

10. Mel, forgot to ask, do you belong to a Tri Club or train with any specific group?

11.Bonus question, what lies ahead Mel, where do you go from here?

Thanks for your time, Mel.

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

Going on Perth time here, this is posted, for response by AM, or later on Friday.

This is a "blind" interview, like a blind date with YoYo, you never know what you might get until he kindly offers to split the bill for dinner ;) ......AP doesn't allow him out past 10 PM anyway :lol:

Hey Mel, thanks for agreeing to chat here.

1.Melchski, brief bio please, age, occupation, where you live & where you were brought up?

Ha! You DID say it could get personal....hmmmm.

Lets just say I'm not yet over the 30 'hill'...lived in Perth since 1982 and pretty much brought up here.  Prior to that I was born in Hungary, also lived in Austria for a year before coming Perth.

Occupation - boring! Currently hanging out in a library when I'm not travelling or training but that could change in the next few weeks ssssh don't tell the boss

2. Mel, you did 3 IM's, what was the time range....did you go above or below expectations?

Yes, I did IMAUS 04, then IMWA 04, then IMAUS 05.  Expectations? I guess I didn't have any that was the thing.  I didn't have much experience in long distance racing at all.  I had been doing sprint distance events for about 2 years, then did 1 olympic, then the Busselton 1/2 and qualified for Forster through rolldown after walking 1/2 the run due to a chronic injury (yes I know some people think this is wrong!).

So, feeling very lucky I decided to seize the day and commit to Forster.

My first IM (13:43 I think) was 'just to finish' and I did just that after struggling with big life issues (always at the wrong time) prior to the race.  This was a very emotional moment.  Busselton (IMWA) I chose because it was the first one in WA and 'why not'.  I didn't have any expectation then either as the course was completely different than Forster.  I did my best time there in 12:31.

I qualified for Forster again and went back determined to 'just have a good experience' and kill some demons.  Which I did and also did a 45minute(just under 13hours) pb for the course  :lol:

I think our expectations differ.... I've never been a 'gun athlete' and just love being part of it.  Anything else is a bonus.

3. Mel, those 3 races were in a 12 month, or maybe 18 month period, I guess that's not unusual, but you did hesitate before finally deciding to do Forster, was that the right decision.

Yes the races where in a short period of time.  Get it while the going is good I say! I actually don't know if thats a good or bad thing...to do them so close together.  Positive is that you just keep training...negative is that it can do your head in.

I didn't hesitate before choosing to do Forster the first time.  I had watched the event prior and was inspired to do it.  Until then I didn't imagine I'd ever be able to but when I saw all the people competing I thought if they can then I can!

My partner at the time also qualified so that made the decision easier.  I was however nervous as I had alot to learn and was injured in May 2003...so had rehab infront of me.

All trials aside I still believe doing Forster was a good decision and I am proud to have experienced it.

4. Mel, mate, what's more important, doing the race, or getting down there and having a dam good time....

Certainly having a good time is most important at all times!  Just ask those who have seen me at the after parties  :D

Seriously...most important element of racing is taking the time to enjoy the vibe.

5.Mel, you are asked to stand in referee at a basketball game, player dribbles the ball down court taking 3 steps, shooting the ball, which goes in the basket, and then crashing into a stationary player on court, knocking him or her down......what's your call.........ok, we will wait for your answer, ok?

I don't play basketball!  But I say...that game has too many rules anyway, they are meant to be broken, lets not even talk about netball.  LOL I have no idea.

6. Mel, in selecting a partner, life partner, would you select someone with a sports

background?

I would say that if I wanted to lead a fit and healthy lifestyle for the rest of my life, then yes I would like to share elements of that (not necessarily all) with my partner.  So coming from a sports background would help...

The person wouldn't have to do what I do, but at least understand and support my interests.  They would have to be healthy themselves though... no Maccas munchers or smokers yuk!

7.OK, thanks, Mel, on the WA sports calendar, inc. Tri, Road racing and biking, besides Busso, what are the biggest events and have you done any of them?

After IM last year....I've had enough of riding my bike....so anything that doesn't involve a bike!

Do you mean this year?  I haven't done tris since April last year.  Other things have taken priority.  There is a big world out there!  But I've been busy!

1.  Climbed a mountain in Malaysia (2day trek)

2.  Learnt to Scuba Dive

3.  Just started training for the Rottnest Marathon

4.  Might do the Avon Descent as am also into Kayaking

8. Hey, Mel, if you had to relocate for work.....and it's Sydney or Melbourne, would you go?

Melbourne.  Sydney drivers are just crazy.

9. Mel, I can now disclose that Foxy Lady recommended you for this interview while politely declining to be interviewed herself.....would you like to say anything to Pam?

Don't be a woos Pam  :D  Could be your chance to pay out on K

10. Mel, forgot to ask, do you belong to a Tri Club or train with any specific group?

I used to belong to North Coast Tri club and also Stadium.  But won't be joining TA next season as I don't plan on racing.  Though...things could change.

I do most training solo, but am Kayaking with a friend in a double kayak and sometimes run with others.

11.Bonus question, what lies ahead Mel, where do you go from here?

This year - Rotto Marathon plus possibly Avon.  Next year huge european trip and learning to ski.

Have decided life is too short to do one thing for too long, lots to see and explore.  I will do an IM again one day but right now I am enjoying 'life' too much. 

Cheers...now I better do some work!

Thanks for your time, Mel.

207034[/snapback]

Good stuff Mel. Nice to know a bit more about you. And I'm not the only one who thinks there is more to life than triathlons!! :lol::D

Melbourne.  Sydney drivers are just crazy.

Compaired to Perth Drivers I dont think so. Its scary driving on Perth roads.

HA! I knew that would get that responce (the driving thing).

Come to think of it its not the drivers that scared me, its the roads, narrower than here and I just couldn't see where cyclists would fir in the 'mayhem'.,

Drivers per say are probably more aware.

Thanks Foxy!

its safer to ride a bike in Perth than drive on the roads

The days i drive on the Mitchell freeway, Its scarry

Thanks Mel, you did quite a bit so far, very well answered.

5.Mel, you are asked to stand in referee at a basketball game, player dribbles the ball down court taking 3 steps, shooting the ball, which goes in the basket, and then crashing into a stationary player on court, knocking him or her down......what's your call

Anyone else with an answer here?