Sign in to follow this  
MindoverMatter

home lap pool...minimum width

I think that structural issues dictate the width reference length. I worked with a woman who was putting in a pool that had an extension to allow for a 25m lap. Apparently the engineering for the extension was very very robust.

My old house had a lap pool of around 2m width at the "lap" end, the problem I found wasn't so much the width but the slosh factor, ie too many waves I was seriously considering modifying the pool to have "soft" sides like an oly pool where the water flows over the edge instead of bouncing back at you. Instead we just sold the house.

Blew..if you want to assist me in arguing with council for the next 18 months...you are welcome to move in...challenge i face is that at 1 end of the pool the max width i can get away with is 1.8 meters..due to council Loving a certain fiddle tree on our property and needing 5 meters between tree and pool

MoM

ps plenty of beer and party when we do finally get the pool

the max width i can get away with is 1.8 meters....

Unless you're a really fat bastard, or are planning on doing a lot of Butterfly, then 1.8m should be fine. Sure, the waves will be an issue, but who cares, you're training for open water swimming, not a smooth pool.

max width i can get away with is 1.8 meters.

207001[/snapback]

Mate of mine is building on down the side of his house and if he can get it any wider than 1.8m I'd be surprised. The area concerned is only just wide enough to drive a car down.

Then again the bastard has just gutted his entire house and is spending somewhere around $500K+ on renovations.

Personally I'd have just knocked the whole house over, rebuilt and left a bit more room for the lap pool.

BTW Did I mention he lives across the road from the beach.

Guest Gimili

Would one of those jet stream things be better you see advertised in US magazines that you hang of the end of the pool and swim towards - might be expensive though but imagine the flow would counter the chop. The chop is bad in lap pools, worse than most open water you will ever face, think you almost need to do a wet deck to take the splash which again would be expensive but impressive.

Would one of those jet stream things be better you see advertised in US magazines that you hang of the end of the pool and swim towards

207024[/snapback]

Do they actually work ?????

The chop is bad in lap pools, worse than most open water you will ever face,

207024[/snapback]

Not if you're training for IMNZ :lol::D

seriously though in our last house we had a 18m x 2m lap pool. Good for training - I'm not convinced, it was a dead set pain in the arse with the slosh (would almost make you sea sick :D:lol: ) and you were turning every couple of strokes and pushing off (making you dizzy and adding to the sea sickness ;) ) - makes it really difficult to maintain any kind of rhythm.

Edited by nuked

we had a 18m x 2m lap pool. ... and you were turning every couple of strokes

207028[/snapback]

Mate you should have tried swimming the 18 m length instead! :lol:

Blew..if you want to assist me in arguing with council for the next 18 months...you are welcome to move in...challenge i face is that at 1 end of the pool the max width i can get away with is 1.8 meters..due to council Loving a certain fiddle tree on our property and needing 5 meters between tree and pool

MoM

207001[/snapback]

I have heard that it is not uncommon for fiddle trees to meet with unfortunate accidents like being watered with about 10 litres of diesel....... :lol:

207001[/snapback]

MOM,

I'm in for the beer and party bit.

Will the invite be via PM or snail mail. :lol::D

Brick

:lol:

And courts might then freeze any development of the property . Not a great idea I am afraid.

The council will also make your life HELL

The council will also make your life HELL

Definitely. Some f*cker poisoned a HUGE fig tree in Double Bay not too long ago. The thing must have been well over a hundred years old and some rich twat paid for it to be pooisoned so he'd have a better view of the harbour. Wanker.

Hi MoM... thought of you last night...

I tapped my Heineken Keg.... bloody delicious. :lol::D:lol:

only a 5ltr.. so it was feeling light after a few.... backing up tonight to polish it off.

Edited by Gizmo

we had a 18m x 2m lap pool. ... and you were turning every couple of strokes

207028[/snapback]

Mate you should have tried swimming the 18 m length instead! :lol:

207047[/snapback]

Doh ......thats where I was going wrong :D

But no one has yet given me the answer...is 1.8mt wide enougth to swim without hitting the side of the pool??

DTM..I am with you,I have no interest in upsetting council hence why the 1.8meters at one end of the pool.

Gizmo...I have a few of the kegs put away for end of year festivities but my wife has said that she will be surprised if that last beyond the end of the soccer world cup.. :lol:

Before anyone asks..............

BWS bottleshops are stocking the Heinekin 5L mini-kegs... about $36 each i think ?

they are pretty cool... :lol:

the max width i can get away with is 1.8 meters....

Unless you're a really fat bastard, or are planning on doing a lot of Butterfly, then 1.8m should be fine. Sure, the waves will be an issue, but who cares, you're training for open water swimming, not a smooth pool.

207008[/snapback]

MoM I thought Webswim nailed it ... :lol:

Yaeh nuked but in my offseason i AM one of those fat bast**ds

Look on the bright side MoM, it will encourage you to roll properly! :lol::D

Seriously though, 1.8m is plenty.

Edited by WebSwim

Seriously though, 1.8m is plenty.

Someone once told me that a lap pool should be 25m wide.

However... they only need to be about 2m long.

And... be very careful with your starting dive...