Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions With IM Voice

Hey Mike, nice Memorial Day in the US? Mate it's just 0300 EST in Australia so first views of this thread will be in 4-5 hours.

Thanks very much for dropping by......straightforward questions....but everyone gets a rattlesnake...ok?

1. Mike, would you please tell us your employment arrangements with IMG...full time....or contract basis....and do you have any vested interest in the company.

2. Mike, IMOZ at Port Mac, you guys must be quietly thrilled with the outcome. Mike I heard you say a couple of times....indirect quote ok...."I dunno, I guess Australia still stands as second only to Hawaii, that's what I think anyway".....I did not hear you say that in NZ, so it must be true. Is that a widely held view?

3. Mike, the all timers, Scott, Allen, PNF, some say Erin & Natasha......Mike, IM racing has waited a long time for another member of that group. Do you see anyone joining them, ever?

4. Mike. We in Australia have had a horrendous spate of road rage, motorist v cyclist, inc. accidents and a few tragic deaths, esp. in our big cities. Is that also happening in the US....let's say specifically in So. Cal.

5. Mike. Is there any truth to the rumour that Hawaii might eventually move...geez, that would be a tough move.....I mean the race?

6. Mike. In your official role as race caller, MC & everything that demands time wise, you probably don't get much time to party, yet at Port you were spotted "slumming" with a certain Tri Club at the Carbo.....Mike, who parties hardest, in your opinion.....which country in particular?

7. Mr. Reilly, 2 part question here, 1 pt each, or pass.

A. Who is Shane Warne? B. What is a Leg Spinnner?

8. Mike, the celebrity slot, mate. That has gone down pretty well (my opnion), The Bachelor, Alexandra Paul, etc, even Daryl Haley 325 lb NFL Lineman got through, after a couple of tries...in that vien does IMG actively pursue the so called celebrity....or do they come to you? And, would they like to eventually attract Lance Armstrong, not because he could actually win....but because of the massive PR involved?

9.Mike, there are too many memorable moments to recount here.....you know the guy who went w.o. shoes on the bike and did 9:30 at Forster 2003 was unbelivable...do you have anything to top that?

10. Mike, I know in calling people across the line that inevitably you can also become teary eyed.....does that happen much and on any memorable occasion?

11. Bonus question, I believe you did at least one IM, if so give brief details and if not, why the hell not?

12. Bonus (2), Mike, the IM World Championship at Kona....mate, this race has been dominated by Europeans last 10-12 years and primarily by Americans at the AG level......Mike the slot allocation is strongly biased towards the US. There is probably a very logical justification for that, but I'm sure people in Australia would like to hear what is the official justification?

Mike, thank you so much for dropping in here.

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

Thanks Kamal and I hope you and all the trannies are getting in decent training in your winter months. And mate I thought you were going to ask me a tough rattlesnake question or at least one I could answer?

1. My employee arrangement is that by choice I’m an Independent Contractor. All of my Ironman contracts are set up on that basis not a direct employee of any organization or company who hires me to announce. My Ironman Australia contract was in its last year this year and needs to be renewed with IMG for 2007. And I am not contracted for WA. I have no vested interest in any of the Ironman organizations except that I want to see them produce the best events possible. I do have a full time job in the US with The Active Network (active.com) as the VP of Sales and helped start the company back in 1999.

2. I thought Port was one of the best Ironmans I have ever been involved in especially for a first time venue event. I did say Australia stands 2nd to Hawaii but remember that's coming from me that gauge an event on the crowds and community. Obviously if the bike course was too short or runners were directed the wrong way on the run I wouldn't make that statement but Port seemed like an almost perfect Ironman day. And the crowds all day long were so loud and supportive that it made it easy to work it for 17 hours. Another reason I say that is because of the knowledge the Aussie has of Ironman and triathlon. So they appreciate great performances from the Pro’s and Age Groupers.

3. Sure there will be someone joining them but when I don't know. Remember, Allen, Tinley, PNF (can you believe Paula just went 10:13 at IM Japan this weekend for 4th place), Welchie, Erin, Molina had something going for them that the great ones of today don't. They had the "fun factor" (I see this in Natasha). They became part of the sport because they loved it. The money factor wasn't initially considered as part of their decision to compete in triathlon (because there wasn't any). So they did it for the camaraderie and sheer enjoyment of training and competing with friends. I also think they were always on top of their game because they felt a responsibility to the sport itself helping it to grow and they respected everyone’s performances. I guess in the end they didn't look at it as their job but their privilege.

4. Not really. Southern California is pretty tame with its road rage of cyclists. I live in San Diego and this county is pretty diverse. Along the coast the riders and runners own the roads. All So Cal roads have bike lanes (this is a law that roads must have a separate bike lane). I have experienced some rage as I ride more inland from the coast where I live but maybe only once or twice a year and it is mild. With all the positive PR with Lance the last 7 years in the US it really has made everyone aware of cyclists on the road.

5. I know what you know that it is a rumor. I have heard no concrete conversations that this is going to happen. Like any community that stages an Ironman there are strains on that community and its people. And in the end it is the decision of the people of the community to embrace the event so it continues to flourish. I hope this will always be the case in Kona and any community where and Ironman is produced.

6. I have been known to "slum" with the best slummers in the world. Heck I’m Irish so a Guinness is just reward for a good day and when Baggs buys me one all the more sweeter! I treat an Ironman a lot like an athlete. I have to make sure I come to the event in shape and healthy. Race week is pretty packed up with meetings and doing all the things I do to prepare for race day. I like to have most of the information about race day in my head and review the race names as often as possible. But when the race is over and then I'm done with Awards it is time to let loose. I will tell you that for some reason my best memories of after parties are Hawaii, Australia & New Zealand. Maybe it has something to do with being so far from home.

7. Is this a trick question? Should I know who Shane is and what a Leg Spinner is?

8. I love the celebrity spot. It works for the sport and promotes it in areas that are not easily accessible for Ironman. Finding someone to compete as a celebrity works both ways. Sometimes they call Ironman and sometimes Ironman finds them. As it pertains to IMG I don't know how they go about bringing in celebrities to the event. We all would eventually like to attract Lance but I doubt if it will happen anytime soon. But he would be a big factor in pumping up the PR machine for Ironman. As a matter of fact he is running the New York City Marathon on November 5th and I've heard about it through the media 4 or 5 times already and we're 5 months out from the race.

9. I do have many great memories and I kick myself when I forget some of them. Riding with no shoes on was a great memory and I have talked about it many times at other Ironmans.

This is a tough question to answer. My most remarkable moments are really moments in the sport I had the privilege to witness and call. Moments like the most incredible race in Ironman ever. The 1989 battle between Mark Allen and Dave Scott. To witness these 2 warriors stay together the entire day and not even acknowledge one another was super human. To run 2:41 marathon times which has not been equaled in Hawaii was remarkable. Another is seeing Jim McClaren the first leg amputee race and finish Kona. Calling across the line Paula Newby Fraser in her record year of going 9:55 which is still a world record. Watching the Southwell family all race together in Forster and wondering what that would be like to be able to race with my Father. There are so many more but the ones I do remember most are the age group athletes that have to hold down full time jobs, raise a family and juggle it all for Ironman. Watching them cross an Ironman finish line is a remarkable memory.

For the last year or so I am trying to put everything down on paper. The memories, the races, the people, the events and the passion. I want to tie it all into being able to stay motivated and balanced in life so one can succeed in raising a family, work, relationships and maintaining a strong passion. The easy part was the title "You are an Ironman". The hard part is putting it all together.

10. The first time I actually cried where I couldn’t control it was when Judy Molnar (who now runs Iron Girl 5k's in the US) finished in Kona in her second attempt. Watching her the year before not make it then come to the finish line to bring in the athletes I could see in her eyes how disappointed she was. So when she came across the line a year later (1999) I interviewed her to the crowd. She started talking with so much emotion pouring out that when she looked at me wondering if I was going to ask her another question I lost it. I remember saying to a friend at the finish that was a first for me crying. It is very easy to become emotional at the finish line, it lets me know every race how alive I am.

11. HA HA you are wrong. It is always assumed I've done an Ironman and I have not. It was my plan to do Hawaii in 1989 but then I received that call I will never forget to come over and be one of the announcers. I figured I could always do an Ironman but then 60 Ironmans on the microphone later it just never happened. Don't have a huge desire to do one mainly because of my passion of working them (if you want to call that work). People want me to do an Ironman more than I do and that's OK so you never know maybe one day.

12. This is an area I don't have any knowledge about. If a logical explanation is needed it is best to contact WTC in Florida.

This April was 11 years coming down to OZ to work Ironman Australia. I feel I have done a lot of growing up with the sport in Australia and have felt honored since day one to have been invited. You Aussies have a true passion for the sport and when I leave Australia my friends get sick of me telling them how great a passion it is. I know there is a lot of politics in the sport that elicit a fare amount of conversations. But we always need to come back to the basics of what we are involved in and why we do it. It is ALL about you the athlete and the events you participate in. It is OK to be demanding of event director’s to put on the best events possible, you deserve it. But it is not OK to be destructive in our approach and be critical in a negative way. We are still a small sport growing up and if others see our positive passion it will pave a much smoother road for us to grow and prosper.

Happy Training,

Mike

Fantastic Mike....still early AM here mate.

Is this a trick question? Should I know who Shane is and what a Leg Spinner is

Hmm, our forum members are not always kind......if I asked you who is Greg Norman or Rob de Castella you would be ok......but I did say rattlesnake earlier.

Shane, our Aussie equivalent of a Barry Bonds with somewhat more personality, similar controversy.....someone I thought you might have have heard of.

Leg Spinner........I will allow one of our esteemed forum members to answer that...

Gunther, YoYo, Roxii, come in please.

Thanks for your time Mike!! So do you mean to say there's a book coming out?? That'd be worth a read!

As for road rage, there has been a surprising amount recently here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Not just one isolated incident - a spate of them over the last 2 or 3 months. I even got to see one incident first hand which really shook me. I think everywhere will have its idiots (both drivers and cyclists), but over here I reckon its pretty good, like Mike said - the roads are excellent.

Great read Mike. Thanks for your honest answers. It's hard to explain to "non" triathletes how emotional it is at the finish line. Can't wait to hear your voice at IMOZ next year.

Wow.... Thanks so much for your time Mike. Great read. You probably have the best position in IM and are lucky enough to be scoring a slot to Kona each and every year! I'm not surprised you don't have much desire to do an IM when you get to call them!

Thanks as well to Kamal for starting the best thing on this forum I have seen since joining. Each and everyone has been excellent and a great insite into others around here.

Edited by chefspop

Thank you Mike,

When I was reading your answers and I could hear your voice saying it !!!!!

In this year's Port Mac Ironman, I was the dude who celebrated his 50th birthday on the finish line. ( I know you have your birthday around that time too )

Thanks for warm support, you really hyped up that crowd to sing "Happy Birthday" , I have it all on video.

and thanks for shaking my hand there too, that was "Ironman moment" for me.

I shall see you next at IMNZ07, my 20th IM.

Kind regards

BC

Question 9 - Mr "No Shoes" at Forster a few years back...

Mr Ichi Adachi from Japan.

He rode past YoYo like he'd just stolen something.... :lol:

Off the top of my head he punched a 5:10 bike or thereabouts and then

hooked a lazy low 3hr marathon....

Really appreciate the time you took to answer our questions Mike! Thanks for spending the time to provide us with a great insight into your world and that of IM.

From a Port Macquarie local's perspective, it's wonderful to hear how impressed you were with the crowd support (I was impressed and faintly surprised myself for a first time effort). It wouldn't have been half the event without you :lol:

Thanks Mike - really appreciate your involvement in the sport and this site too!

Make sure you let us know when the book comes out, I will sign up straight away.

Thanks again Kamal - great job, I think your site cred has hit an all time high..

Cheers

Steve.

Mike you have called me across the line now many many times but you always make it sound fresh and special. At different times I have had family and friends at the finish line (often for a long time while they wait for me) and they frequently remark about how good the guy on the mike is. I tell them he is the voice of the sport.

Fact is you are an integral part of it. You have a real talent and an engaging personality that works really well. Thank you for all that you do to help make IM such a special experience for us.

Heck the way you call us home makes us feel as if we are actually important and have achieved something worthwhile.

bonza stuff Mike, had a ping at some of your stock IM lines after Port but jeez, after 60, I'd be more than doubling up, always a class act (even if I know the US dollar line is coming at the auction) and it wouldn't be the same without you,

maybe bring the family (hint Mr IMG, legend reward ? ) next year and we'll see you at Port !

and, I forgot, I'll kick Wizza into line and get him up there for his 12th IM and that beer you two are gunna have....

Hey Leon......remind me to expose your true Tranny identity before you go offline this week :D , nothing escapes me mate :lol::D:lol:

Here's another one done with Mike back in 2004 on Transitions

Up Fronrt

Click on 'Up Front'

FM

Edited by Flanman

Remember, Allen, Tinley, PNF (can you believe Paula just went 10:13 at IM Japan this weekend for 4th place), Welchie, Erin, Molina had something going for them that the great ones of today don't. They had the "fun factor" (I see this in Natasha). They became part of the sport because they loved it. The money factor wasn't initially considered as part of their decision to compete in triathlon (because there wasn't any). So they did it for the camaraderie and sheer enjoyment of training and competing with friends. I also think they were always on top of their game because they felt a responsibility to the sport itself helping it to grow and they respected everyone’s performances. I guess in the end they didn't look at it as their job but their privilege

Excellent Answer - Nailed it in one

For the last year or so I am trying to put everything down on paper. The memories, the races, the people, the events and the passion. I want to tie it all into being able to stay motivated and balanced in life so one can succeed in raising a family, work, relationships and maintaining a strong passion. The easy part was the title "You are an Ironman". The hard part is putting it all together.

Can't wait until the book comes out!

My son still talks about us finishing IMNZ '05 when 'Ironman Mike' took the time to High 5 both of us!

Finishing an Ironman would not be the same without you-know-who, announcing you-know-what to the crowd!

That's right YoYo I now remember Ichi Adachi when you mentioned how fast he went. As a matter of fact I was going to talk about him at the beginning of the awards but forgot. Then when I did his age catagory there he was in the top 3 which was unbelievable so I told everyone the no shoes story. I don't think I've called him to a finish since then, wonder if he gave up the sport because it was just too easy!

Thanks Mike, great for you share your time with us.

I consider Mike to be on par with Phil Liggett. It wouldn't be an IM without Mike and the same for a cycling race without Phil.

Leg Spinner I got it. I asked my son who is a College (University) baseball player Pitcher and he knew what a Leg Spinner is. So Warne could deliver a ball with uncanny acuracy with the flipper which I think would be our curve ball. And I'm not a big Barry Bonds fan (I once was) but he never brought his Mother in as one of his excuses.

Leg Spinner I got it.  I asked my son who is a College (University) baseball player Pitcher and he knew what a Leg Spinner is.  So Warne could deliver a ball with uncanny acuracy with the flipper which I think would be our curve ball.  And I'm not a big Barry Bonds fan (I once was) but he never brought his Mother in as one of his excuses.

206735[/snapback]

The flipper would actually be more akin to a fastball.. it come sonto the batsman much quicker than a normal delivery.

In terms of spin bowling, the equivalent of a curveball would probably be the 'wrong'un' or 'googly' - these deliveries effectively look the same out of the bowlers hand as a regular delivery, but spin in the opposite direction....

Maybe even more like a breaking ball than a curveball Mike ?

Depends on how you look at it i guess......

Er Yo Yo, son, a breaking ball is a curve ball mate, a slider is a hard breaking curve, and a split finger or 2 seamer is a fastball which drops.....fast and hard, like one of your conquests :lol:

Er Yo Yo, son, a breaking ball is a curve ball mate, a slider is a hard breaking curve, and a split finger or 2 seamer is a fastball which drops.....fast and hard, like one of your conquests :lol:

206773[/snapback]

oh okay.. like a incinuated.... i wasn't sure..... only ever played baseball a handful of times and, like cricket, batting was my thing not bowling/pitching.... !

It didn't matter what they sent down, they could have coloured the ball in with invisible ink, i still would have hit it... :D

206773[/snapback]

oh okay.. like a incinuated.... i wasn't sure..... only ever played baseball a handful of times and, like cricket, batting was my thing not bowling/pitching.... !

It didn't matter what they sent down, they could have coloured the ball in with invisible ink, i still would have hit it... :D

206789[/snapback]

In all seriousness YO my main man, i have been very very impressed by your sporting prowess in the past, but today you have given me the old George Dubya, 'shock and awe' treatment.....is there anything you can't do???

Hold that thought ten questions coming up....

Great answers Mike, always interested in reading such statesman like answers.

He rode past YoYo like he'd just stolen something....  :lol:

206614[/snapback]

That would have made for a 1:50 swim. From...
Or, you can just ride without shoes like Yuji Adachi, did at 2003's Australian Ironman. Amazingly, he finished in 9:30:34, his bike leg was 5:27:02 and then he ran a 3:09 marathon, but with running shoes.
Bevan Leach did this also in 2002 but borrowed some shoes that were too small and was too sore to continue by 150km.

I don't know how anybody can compare pitching and bowling. The former usually never bounces while the latter has most of the bowling skill concentrated on the ball doing tricky things as it comes off the pitch, at least in the case of spinners.

Shane Warne as a good example of some of Freud's best work.

Great answers Mike, always interested in reading such statesman like answers.

He rode past YoYo like he'd just stolen something....  :lol:

206614[/snapback]

That would have made for a 1:50 swim. From...

I don't know how anybody can compare pitching and bowling. The former usually never bounces while the latter has most of the bowling skill concentrated on the ball doing tricky things as it comes off the pitch, at least in the case of spinners.

Shane Warne as a good example of some of Freud's best work.

206849[/snapback]

Ahhh but slowie, in both forms the trickery is all about the bowlers/pitchers hand, their skill at manipulating the ball coming out of it and their ability to disguise what is actually coming the batsmans way....

This goes for spinners, medium pacers, fast bowlers, nudie bowlers (mark waugh, 'nudie' coz they've got nuthin' on them...), change-up pitchers and power pitchers alilke....

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Mike. As usual the aussies were having a joke with your about cricket.

Hey Mike, good answers... Hey Kamal, good questions!

I've got to pin this one so it doesn'get lost over the weekend.

Bernie

Guest Gimili
batting was my thing not bowling/pitching.... !

YoYo, based on most of your threads I always thought you were the pitcher, not the receiver not that there's anything wrong with that, each to their own.

I admire your honesty and yes, it would appear YoYo can do everything.

Very well put together there K2 !

Thanks very much to you and Mike for that.

Question 12 though , Americans and Europeans ??

Are; Reid , Fuhr , Bowden ,Bentley American or European ? :lol:

batting was my thing not bowling/pitching.... !

YoYo, based on most of your threads I always thought you were the pitcher, not the receiver not that there's anything wrong with that, each to their own.

I admire your honesty and yes, it would appear YoYo can do everything.

207294[/snapback]

harharhar.. i cannot BELIEVE that Gunther didn't pick up on me saying that "batting was my thing..." harharhar..... :lol::D

Great question & great answers, been a pleasure talking to you Mike the last 3 years at IMOZ, even though they were brief chats we had a good laugh.

Keep calling those IM's, clearly they would not be the same without you there.

Cheers

Marc