Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions With GJ aka Cyclismo

Hey GJ, thanks for agreeing to drop in this morning. Got Mike Reilly lined up for next week, confirmed, be sure to come back for that one. Weds or Thurs/AM

1. Greg, you made your IM debut at Port, brilliant performance I thought. I read your race report & the HIM report and I thought....this guy has a lot more in the tank, plenty more. I think you could quite easily go sub 10 by next year. Have you considered that?

2. GJ, it looks to me as if you have a strong background in cycling for sure. Is that true? How about the running and swimming?

3. Cyclismo (using the former name) do you belong to a Tri Club, ok, yes. What are the benefits of belonging to a club? Which club is it?

4. Does the club offer any coaching, other than informal arrangements?

5. Greg, mate, you are riding on a train and you find on your seat an envelope containing $10, 000......carriage is almost empty, but you check with the fellow passengers for possible ownership...they say no. What do you do next?

6. OK, thanks, you are later gifted $10, 000 by a benefactor. He wants you to spend it on sports equipment, coaching or travel related to triathlon....how do you spend it?

7. GJ. It is very well known that you sacrificed the entire 2004-05 season due to the terminal illness of a close relative (father-in law). In fact it was a day or 2 before HIM Forster you decided to pull the pin, having been fully trained up to that point. Mate, it was poignantly moving to most of the forum here to read what you wrote over those few months.....ok, let me ask you, you had to sit back and wait while team mates and friends went out racing, ultimately IMA. How did you feel when you knew they were out racing, when you were dealing with a problem that wasn't directly your responsibilty?

(Apologies for the wording, I wanted to ask about it, that's the best I can do)

8. Greg, insider tells me you work at a bank. They do have transfer available all over Australia....if you could choose another location, where would you go? If it could please the family and you could also get advanced coaching, which location other than current one would you choose? Inc. Credit card No. with answer in case any coaches read here.

9. GJ, you go out for a leisurely group ride. Some guy severely cuts you up on the inside, shoulder bumping you & you almost fall off into traffic. You look up and it's someone you don't know, he's unapologetic & rides on oblivious to the situation....how do you react?

10.GJ, you spend much less time on the forum these days....direct answer please. How come?

11. Thanks Greg, Bonus Question. Your own parents live out on the Coomba Rd. on the old FIM course. Do you know of any reaction from them or the town people about having lost the 2 big races?

Ok, here goes...

1. Greg, you made your IM debut at Port, brilliant performance I thought. I read your race report & the HIM report and I thought....this guy has a lot more in the tank, plenty more. I think you could quite easily go sub 10 by next year. Have you considered that?

To be honest the plan was to try and crack 10 hours at debut… What’s that line about the best laid plans of mice and men?

I think I underestimated how tough the Port course was and to be honest was probably underprepared. I think my results reflected my training and I don’t think I could have gone much faster without being better trained.

Sub 10 in 2007? Not sure – it would definitely be my goal, however by then I’ll also have 3 kids, a new job and whilst some other things in life (eg MBA) will be finished I don’t know how much time I’ll have to dedicate to training. I think I have the physical ability, I definitely have the mental ability, it’s more a question of availability of time and how prepared I am to make sacrifices in the rest of my life for triathlon.

2. GJ, it looks to me as if you have a strong background in cycling for sure. Is that true? How about the running and swimming?

Actually my strongest background is in running. As a kid I was an 800m and 1,500m track runner and ran cross country at a state level. Whilst I was never super competitive with my running, I had an awesome running coach as a kid who taught me how to run – basically deconstructed our running and rebuilt it. His starting premise is that most people learn to run by walking, whereas running is a very different motion to walking.

Cycling is now a strong suit since I started commuting to work 5 days a week about 3 years ago. I clock 200km/week from my commuting alone. I also just love to ride bikes and if I had more money would have a garage full of them…

Swimming is definitely my worst discipline. I only learnt to swim freestyle in my 20’s and have never dedicated any serious training time to it… My plan for the next 9 months is to swim regularly and hopefully hit IM season next year with some better form…

3. Cyclismo (using the former name) do you belong to a Tri Club, ok, yes. What are the benefits of belonging to a club? Which club is it?

Yep – the best club in Sydney, Northern Suburbs Tri Club (NSTC).

A club gives you not only a whole new bunch of great friends, but people to train with and help keep you motivated. Whilst a 12 week leadup to IM is not that long, when you hit a flat spot it feels like the race is never going to come. Having friends in the club also working towards the same goal can be a real help.

NSTC is an IM focused club, so it’s been great because that’s where my ambitions have lied.

4. Does the club offer any coaching, other than informal arrangements?

Club doesn’t offer any coaching per se, but there are some very experienced, very knowledgeable people in the club who have been invaluable in providing good advice when it has been sought…

The other huge benefit of being an NSTC member is the fact that the newest bike baron (OLT) in Sydney is a member of the club and has been a huge support in helping equip me, and many other members of the club, with bikes and associated bits and pieces.

5. Greg, mate, you are riding on a train and you find on your seat an envelope containing $10, 000......carriage is almost empty, but you check with the fellow passengers for possible ownership...they say no. What do you do next?

Pocket the cash. If I can’t find anything on the envelope to identify the owner I’d pocket it for two reasons:

1. I’m not convinced I’d ever get it to the real owner, and don’t have an overwhelming level of trust that the police would actually find the real owner.

2. My experience has been that people who carry $10k around in an envelope usually did not get the cash through honest means. Perhaps I’ve just met too many shady characters.

6. OK, thanks, you are later gifted $10, 000 by a benefactor. He wants you to spend it on sports equipment, coaching or travel related to triathlon....how do you spend it?

Mmm… Whilst it would be tempting to buy myself some new toys, I reckon I’d go do one of the European IMs and take the family along… Alternatively, perhaps invest the cash and work my arse off to qualify for Kona and take the family there…

7. GJ. It is very well known that you sacrificed the entire 2004-05 season due to the terminal illness of a close relative (father-in law). In fact it was a day or 2 before HIM Forster you decided to pull the pin, having been fully trained up to that point. Mate, it was poignantly moving to most of the forum here to read what you wrote over those few months.....ok, let me ask you, you had to sit back and wait while team mates and friends went out racing, ultimately IMA. How did you feel when you knew they were out racing, when you were dealing with a problem that wasn't directly your responsibilty?

(Apologies for the wording, I wanted to ask about it, that's the best I can do)

Mate, that was one of the best decisions I ever made in my life. There is something deeply rewarding about putting yourself second and others first. Sure I had put quite a bit of effort into training for the Forster half IM, but it was insignificant in the face of what my father in law and my wife’s family was facing.

The interesting thing about sacrifice is that the bigger the sacrifice the more meaningful it is. My family new how much I wanted to go and race and so knew how much I loved them by being happy to give that up. Life is full of experiences that are “one time only” and others that are available at any time. Ironman is available every year, there was only one opportunity to be there for my family – easy decision really.

The “problem” was actually directly my responsibility – sure I wasn’t responsible for my father in laws cancer, but I sure as hell was responsible for looking after his family.

8. Greg, insider tells me you work at a bank. They do have transfer available all over Australia....if you could choose another location, where would you go? If it could please the family and you could also get advanced coaching, which location other than current one would you choose? Inc. Credit card No. with answer in case any coaches read here.

Yep – work for the CBA. Despite what people think of Banks, they are a pretty good place to work. CBA is very family friendly and a pretty good employer.

If I were to make a move I think I’d choose QLD or WA. Probably opt for QLD and maybe check out what that redneck JimmyC is up to! Sounds like AP is an opinionated so-and-so on here, but is actually is a pretty good guy and good coach in person, so that may well be a drawcard.

9. GJ, you go out for a leisurely group ride. Some guy severely cuts you up on the inside, shoulder bumping you & you almost fall off into traffic. You look up and it's someone you don't know, he's unapologetic & rides on oblivious to the situation....how do you react?

I’d do what I do to the cars who do similar things to me from time to time on the Pacific Highway. Chase the bastard down and make sure he understands what he has done.

I’m a pretty sedate guy these days, but when younger I used to be quite aggressive and prone to violence. This old part of my personality definitely comes out in these situations and if I see red I’m liable to pull a pump out of my bag and ensure the guy understands how it feels to have your physical safety threatened.

10.GJ, you spend much less time on the forum these days....direct answer please. How come?

A few reasons:

1. I’ve learnt quite a bit from this forum and whilst I’ve still got lots to learn I’m no longer in as much need of help.

2. If I want good quality advice without the bullshit from some people (eg Swervin Mervyn - who seem to have pissed off now thank god), I’ll post on multisportal where I’m guaranteed more relevant advice.

3. Busy and so haven’t had the opportunity. I also tend to be here in fits and starts.

11. Thanks Greg, Bonus Question. Your own parents live out on the Coomba Rd. on the old FIM course. Do you know of any reaction from them or the town people about having lost the 2 big races?

Not a lot of reaction – some of the usual sniping, but I think there are a lot of people who are also happy not to have it in Forster anymore. I think Port Mac is a much bigger and better equipped town to deal with the influx created by Ironman and personally think it’s a better venue.

Whilst accommodation is free for me at Forster, I’d rather race in Port. However, that is perhaps because I have only ever raced Port and never did the Forster course (officially – I’ve ridden and run around much of the course).

K2 – your files are pretty good, I’m impressed!

Edited by GJ

deleted - trying to get misbehaving quotes to work!

Edited by GJ

Great read GJ

another of the good guys around and great to be able to team up in races such as the 12hr.

No doubt a sub 10hr is within your reach, plenty of potential for that.

Excellent read GJ. You are a top bloke and am proud to say I know you mate. Your answer to question 7 was beautiful. Very moving for me. Stay safe and will catch up soon.

C

You lost my vote for your answer to No 5 Greg

Yeah, I know - I'm a bad boy and my response is a bad case of moral relativism, but at the end of the day I thought I'd answer honestly. I'd rather be who I am inside than pretend I'm someone else. I may hand the cash in, but I know in my heart that there's a good chance I'd keep it...

Pam, look forward to meeting you one day - make sure if we are at the same race / event I don't miss the opportunity...

You lost my vote for your answer to No 5 Greg

Yeah, I know - I'm a bad boy and my response is a bad case of moral relativism, but at the end of the day I thought I'd answer honestly. I'd rather be who I am inside than pretend I'm someone else. I may hand the cash in, but I know in my heart that there's a good chance I'd keep it...

All good answers GJ and I would have answered the same way for the same reasons for #5.

If I were to make a move I think I’d choose QLD or WA. Probably opt for QLD and maybe check out what that redneck JimmyC is up to! Sounds like AP is an opinionated so-and-so on here, but is actually is a pretty good guy and good coach in person, so that may well be a drawcard.

Come to the light brother come to the light

24 degrees again up here today, uncrowded roads,clean air......come to the light brother :lol:

24 degrees again up here today, uncrowded roads,clean air......come to the light brother :lol:

205932[/snapback]

A seeming echo of a beautiful little tune by Tom Waits, Come On Up To The House:

Well the moon is broken

And the sky is cracked

Come on up to the house

The only things that you can see

Is all that you lack

Come on up to the house

All your cryin don't do no good

Come on up to the house

Come down off the cross

We can use the wood

Come on up to the house

Come on up to the house

Come on up to the house

The world is not my house

I'm just a passin thru

Come on up to the house

There's no light in the tunnel

No irons in the fire

Come on up to the house

And your singin lead soprano

In a junkman's choir

You gotta come on up to the house

Does life seem nasty, brutish and short

Come on up to the house

The seas are stormy

And you can't find no port

Come on up to the house

There's nothin in the world

That you can do

And you've been whipped by the forces

That are inside you

Come on up to the house

Well your high on top

Of your mountain of woe

Come on up to the house

Well you know you should surrender

But you can't let go

Edited by Slowman

Bankers are all theives anyway GJ so taking the cash wouldnt be starting a new habit

Mmm... Unfortunately there is actually an element of truth in that, however it is something that is rapidly changing... The banking industry is waking up to the fact that it needs to change and that honesty and integrity are very important.

For anyone who thinks multinationals entering Australia is a bad thing, changes in banking are largely due to the competition of the big foreign banks...

24 degrees again up here today, uncrowded roads,clean air......come to the light brother

Yep - apart from the weather, I would love to leave Sydney for a while... Gets to you after a bit... Actually a mate who's working for Bank of Qld was just the other day talking about jobs up in Qld...

Don't know you but very impressed with your actions. A true Man amongst men.

Perhaps it is just the optimist in me, but I think most people when presented with the same set of circumstances would behave the same way... The funny thing about life is that the more you give the more you receive... I believe that if you want good things to happen in your life, you have to make good things happen in the lives of others...

I grew up as a christian (almost became a catholic priest - yikes!!) and I think a lot of the wonder of the message has got lost through religions distorting it... For me christianity is about putting others first, and in doing so living life on a whole new level... Of course, most of the time I still end up putting myself first, and inadvertently end up not getting out of life what I could...

But what do the French say? C'est la vie...

Bankers are all theives anyway GJ so taking the cash wouldnt be starting a new habit

Mmm... Unfortunately there is actually an element of truth in that

I don't think you need to explain that to anyone. We all think there's far more than an element of truth :lol:

Look forward to meeting you one day GJ.

Guest Swervin Mervyn

Sorry if I have offended you GJ and congratulations on an outstanding IM debut. Interesting how a question involving money shows what grubs people can be. Directed to all who haven't considered a charity.

Sorry if I have offended you GJ and congratulations on an outstanding IM debut.  Interesting how a question involving money shows what grubs people can be.  Directed to all who haven't considered a charity.

206036[/snapback]

You self righteous git! The question was whether you'd hand it in, not about what you'd do with it! You'd better already be donating 10% of your income to charity otherwise we can add hypocrite as well, talk is cheap.