Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions With The "Mooze"

Hey Mooze, I'm calling you a kid at age 24, hope you don't mind.....no that's not one of the questions.

1. Mooze, is that a nickname or something you just made up? And give us your early sports background from your school days up to the surf club involvement, covered in next question.

2. Mooze, you spent a number of years down on the Sth. Coast were you were involved with surf lifesaving. Did any of that tie into the later venture into long distance sports, triathlon and adventure racing?

3. Amanda, one of the more dangerous surf disciplines is riding the big boats in competition? Did you ever do that?

4. When did you move to Sydney and how has it worked out? Who are you currently training with? Or who have you trained with this last 2 years?

5. Hey Amanda, you currently have a partner, given a free choice would you choose a partner with a tri or sports background?

6. Mooze, you get a call on the mobile. 'Manda YoYo with you......I'm assigned to Sydney for 2 months and I need a training partner.....what do you tell him?

7. Let's get serious now. You did finish IMA in a gruelling struggle, I'm saying well done, but on the other hand it was well below your own expectation. How do you feel about it now & how do you weigh up another attempt at the IM distance?

8. 'Manda, you also did adventure racing, or was it trail walker, with the famous B&B duo....most of your stuff is therefore long distance, endurance work. Besides being time consuming, that might easily lead to early burnout. And you were recently sick. Have you considered burnout as a possibility.

9. Hey Mooze, there are other options out there, bike racing or merely sprint tri's, or even the all terrain stuff, mountain biking etc.....how about any of those as an option?

10. Mooze, some people might label you an adrenalin junkie, how do you respond?

11. The Bonus Question......which forum members influenced you, inspired you or offered you a helping hand along the way? Related to Q4, thanks.

Thanks Mooze, don't worry YoYo would never consider Sydney an option, although he doesn't know, I know he's got southern roots.

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

6. Mooze, you get a call on the mobile. 'Manda YoYo with you......I'm assigned to Sydney for 2 months and I need a training partner.....what do you tell him?

To quote the Georgia Satellites... " don't gimme no lines and keep your hands to yourself" :lol:

Hey Mooze, I'm calling you a kid at age 24, hope you don't mind.....no that's not one of the questions.

LOL. No problem.

1. Mooze, is that a nickname or something you just made up? And give us your early sports background from your school days up to the surf club involvement, covered in next question.

Mooze is a nickname from childhood - comes from me not being able to say "cows" when the family went on roadtrips before I was around 2, used to point and say Mooze. It didnt get used for years except by my godfather (one of the original Forster Ironmen) hence it being brought out again for triathlon. Also too many Amanda's around - not many Mooze's.

Pretty much gave up sport when my family moved to the US when I was 12. Before that did Nippers, swimming(four days a week), tennis(2days a week), ballet/dance (5days a week), netball, softball, cross country, pretty much anything. Most days were swimming in the morning then something else in the evening. Saturdays were simply going from one sport to another. About 14 picked up tennis again and played a lot for a few years, threat of knee recos stopped me around 16/17, then nothing again for a few years. Late in uni (about 20) played a season of rugby union for illawarra and wollongong uni, also taught Hapkido (similar to tae kwon do) reaching red belt level myself. Surf club kicked in at that point.

2. Mooze, you spent a number of years down on the Sth. Coast were you were involved with surf lifesaving. Did any of that tie into the later venture into long distance sports, triathlon and adventure racing?

Not really - most we ever really ran for training was about 3k, swimming was about 800m. Not a very fit club. Just gave me an idea that I could still do those things despite having done very little for years.

3. Amanda, one of the more dangerous surf disciplines is riding the big boats in competition? Did you ever do that?

Yes its more dangerous - no way. Figured didnt really want to anywhere near large pieces of wood weighing up to 25kgs being thrown around by the surf. seen too many heads split open. I raced the IRBS (rubber duckies) whic was a thrill in itself - those things fly over the waves. Favourite event was the tube race - boat races out drops you ~25m short of a patient, I'd jump out swim out, put rescue tube around patient and tow them back to the boat, did pretty well at a state level, never got to race nationals.

4. When did you move to Sydney and how has it worked out? Who are you currently training with? Or who have you trained with this last 2 years?

Move to Sydney about 18months ago. Worked out ok so far really enjoying it although begining to wear on me - is starting to become a very mean city. Currently not training with anyone except friends and mainly offroad. Over the last two years have trained with John Hill and Mark Newton (HERT) during IM season. Head out a lot doing solo training for long rides either on road bike or mtb as well which is great thinking time. Had a great training camp earlier this year where I did most of my k's solo down at jindy and perisher, was great for building mental strength and clearing the mind.

5. Hey Amanda, you currently have a partner, given a free choice would you choose a partner with a tri or sports background?

Sports/tri background, but more importantly enduro background. Went out with a cyclist for a bit last year - he just didnt understand why I was training so much. Matt and I are a great fit in that we understand why the other might want to go out for a four hour run/hike/ride/kayak on a week night. Its also great to have someone to train with especially as we have different strengths and weaknesses. Can have a partner that does either tri or sports but if they dont do the long stuff they just dont understand the mentality or the training.

Lol. MTB, kayak, trail running only at the moment. He's welcome to come along but would also send him over to the BRAT's club - decent portion of chicks there from IM who he could hang around. Use webswims quote. A good laugh is always good on training rides though.

7. Let's get serious now. You did finish IMA in a gruelling struggle, I'm saying well done, but on the other hand it was well below your own expectation. How do you feel about it now & how do you weigh up another attempt at the IM distance?

Feel better about it now - learnt a lot which will put into another IM and my AR'ing. Will do another IM - not sure which one (IMWA07 is looking good or I might head to NZ on my own in January for the Quelle) but Matt also wants to give one a try so will be doing at least another one at some point. At this point I need a break from it, this year the biggest thing I got out of it is that if you're not enjoying it dont try and do it, all i could think about this year was the mtb'ing I was missing out on.

8. 'Manda, you also did adventure racing, or was it trail walker, with the famous B&B duo....most of your stuff is therefore long distance, endurance work. Besides being time consuming, that might easily lead to early burnout. And you were recently sick. Have you considered burnout as a possibility.

Burnt out badly this year - over the physical part (at about 95% now), mental part is actually taking a lot longer, mainly because I havent been able to take a break from that with balancing starting up a new business, working long hours with end of financial year in my current job, boyfriend in Canberra, cramming in some training, and weekends often away racing or helping with races. Got a break and a big change coming up in August/Septmeber which should help a lot as will be a lot more balanced and stress free lifestyle which will let me have time for it all.

9. Hey Mooze, there are other options out there, bike racing or merely sprint tri's, or even the all terrain stuff, mountain biking etc.....how about any of those as an option?

MTB racing is big on the agenda now, with new races to be announced soon for next year from insert company name here (I'm still figuring that one out), as well as me actually racing some races. I love enduro stuff, although will admit had a blast at the BRW tri. Might look to do some of the shorter stuff this coming tri season, although as it still takes up most of your day I usually view it as may as well do a local half or the Canberra international etc. Also am trying to back off from actually racing as much - I like training weekends! or when I'm organising the races.

10. Mooze, some people might label you an adrenalin junkie, how do you respond?

More of an endorphin junky - hate the idea of most adrenalin sports like bungee, base jumping etc I'm a definite wuss when it comes to those (although determined to go sky diving at least once in my life). Its a lifestyle that I enjoy and can't imagine going back to the bar/pub type lifestyle of my uni days. Each to their own, ,y colleagues know not expect sympathy from me when you come into the office with a hangover just as I dont expect it if I'm injured or tired.

11. The Bonus Question......which forum members influenced you, inspired you or offered you a helping hand along the way? Related to Q4, thanks.

Lots of members - Kanangra, Paul Every, Reefy, Grinch, DTM, BC, Roxxii, Simone, GJ, Nick, Hellman, AVAGO,OITC, Yurtie, Snoo, MXwalker, Bourne, Suswana, Kayakr, (gonna stop now cause running out of room) and lots lots more. A lot have given me a hand along the way, a few new ones especially recently with the new business. Haven't really trained with anyone from here except for Simone on our old lunch time runs around the botanic gardens. Mainly gained insights into why and how of training, along with finding out about new races.

Thanks Mooze, don't worry YoYo would never consider Sydney an option, although he doesn't know, I know he's got southern roots.

Having Yo Yo down in Sydney for a few days would be a blast anyway - good shake up for those too far up themselves or who dont wave

Edited by mooze

Supercool. Again. Great stuff Mooze and K2

So are we gonna get a 'new' forum to hold these gems in? It's be a bloody shame if they slipped through the cracks/noise...

Supercool. Again. Great stuff Mooze and K2

So are we gonna get a 'new' forum to hold these gems in? It's be a bloody shame if they slipped through the cracks/noise...

205495[/snapback]

I agree with Reefy.

Another Gem, Great read K2 & Mooze.

Mountainbiking ? Trail Running ?? Kayaking ????????

You go girl.. i'll be back at your place waiting for you... with massage oils, scented candles.. and the White Barry..... :lol:

Just in......big Mike, IM Voice, Reilly will be interviewed here next Weds AM. :lol:

Yaay. :D

Can you ask Mike to ask his wife if she still has my cufflink......? :lol:

YoYo I'm sure my flatmate would like to have you around very much. She may even introduce you to some of her alternate friends. :D:lol: