Sign in to follow this  
detai

10 Q's with The Grinch

Morning Greer. Thanks for replying and helping us learn some stuff behind someone who has gone so far in such a short amount of time in Triathlons. You are about to embark on a trip to Kona, but there will be some personal stuff as well to ask.

where do i start?

1. You really are quite a motivated trainer and racer. What/who got you into Triathlons, and who/what has been your biggest mentors and why?

2. Family is very important in this sport. Your mum and sister i know have watched you race locally. I know you have a Bro, have never heard about your dad. Do these guys support you through out this sport via spectating, offering advice, help? Will any of them be going to Kona with you? What value has your family added to your sporting endeavours?

3. I used to wait, every afternoon, around 5.45pm, for you to run past the shop. I'd watch you as you ran towards us, then away. It's fair to say that you had a body back then that was pretty damn good. Today, love humps gone, muscled up, tighter butt. I liked it then, i like it now. Your body has changed soooo much. Tell us about what you worked on, and what you did to make these changes, weather you get some flattering comments as well?

4. 2 prt Q. Times ticking honey, you are not getting any younger. I know you were married once, thats history now, but are you interested in 'getting your eggs wet' and producing little Grinches in the near future. I know you are tossing up your future after Kona, not much higher on the scale of things for you. What are your life plans after Kona?

5. Tell us about your diet! I know you sometimes eat meat, but not much....what else tickles your taste buds to get you where you are now?

6. Swimming. When you started squad training a couple of years back, you were in my lane. Thats not saying much for your swimming back then when a fat, unhealthy, swims 10 times a year guy leads you out. But you quikly got a hell of a lot better. I put that down to proper amount of lap training. You say TI is the bomb. I totally disagree......it's the workload that has made you you a good swimmer.

7. Tell us about the move into HIM and IM......what did you see in the distance when you were just racing short course that dragged you in? Because you were winning your age group in the local shorter races, now you are winning them in longer events. Which is worth more for personal achievement, because a win is a win regardless.....right?

8. You've pulled a few IM and quite a few HIM. What has been your most memorable race, your most forgettable and whats one thing you'd change in your race plan? .....also, what has been your best times?

9. KONA.......OMG. The big one. How cool is that? What advice have you looked for and have you set any race plans as yet? I know its still a few months away, but you must think about it daily? How is the training going to plan and can you tell us about your big weeks coming up......just how big will they be?

10. I know you played other sports. Netball i think it was. You played fairly high level, did you not? Tell us about your other sporting achievements.

11. Grinch, You floored me the other day with a PM. I know it takes a lot to floor me........you have a wild side that is just itching to get out. What would you get upto if you LET yourself off the chain? (just so i know where to find you)

Thanks Greer, you are a real champ. And thanks for letting me throw in a few inuendos :lol:

Edited by detai

And number 6 isn't a question :lol:

205231[/snapback]

Number 6 has a live worm attached to it.

Guest The Grinch

I'm surprised at how clean they are. Must be a hidden code covering up the innuendo or you wrote a 'B' set of questions and couldn't bring yourself to post them. Will give them some thought. Some are a bit personal Pauly pops.

I'm surprised at how clean they are. Must be a hidden code covering up the innuendo or you wrote a 'B' set of questions and couldn't bring yourself to post them. Will give them some thought. Some are a bit personal Pauly pops.

205424[/snapback]

You mean you don't to talk about your love humps, your ass, how hot you apparently are and who you want to have kids with and when??? :lol:

Guest The Grinch

205424[/snapback]

You mean you don't to talk about your love humps, your ass, how hot you apparently are and who you want to have kids with and when??? :lol:

205437[/snapback]

Yeah I know, but that's really clean for Pauly Pops. I was expecting "do you shave or wax?"

Guest The Grinch

Morning Greer. Thanks for replying and helping us learn some stuff behind someone who has gone so far in such a short amount of time in Triathlons. You are about to embark on a trip to Kona, but there will be some personal stuff as well to ask.

where do I start?

1. You really are quite a motivated trainer and racer. What/who got you into Triathlons, and who/what has been your biggest mentors and why?

Strewth, several questions in one therefore first answer very long. Infact, it's all very long...

I am not the fastest swimmer, cyclist or runner but I have consistency and discipline. My motivation to train is knowing that my competition may be taking the day off. I took up tris 3.5 years ago and have had 3.5 years of uninterrupted, consistent training and racing. As soon as you stop to ask the question “why am I doing this?” then chances are you’ll think of a dozen reasons to stay in bed. So, I never question it. I just do it.

Besides that, I just love it. Some people say to me that I take it too seriously, I over-train or I should slow down and go and have fun. What they don’t realise is, I am having fun and if they don’t enjoy their training, then they should find another hobby.

In my first season, I was a middle of pack age grouper often last out of the water. Consistency and diligence has resulted in gradual, steady improvement. This season I won 9 races in a row - 5 age group wins at Gatorade, won my age group in NZ plus was first female at 3 club races. Was second at Shep HIM and second out of water in my age group at the Geelong OD Aussie Champs.

I always finish what I start and have not had to pull the pin on a race or big training session yet. Obsessive, passionate or just too dumb to know when to stop (“I was running...” Forrest Gump)? It’s debatable which one I am. Racing is painful enough without going into a race under prepared. Whilst I’m in the sport, I’ll be giving it 100%.

Training, ironically, is the cure for feeling demotivated to train. On my fridge are pics of Armstrong, Bronwyn Thompson, horsies and my cat. There is also this quote by Rudyard Kipling on how to cure the blues:

The cure for this ill is not to sit still,

Or frowst with a book by the fire;

But to take a large hoe and a shovel also,

And dig till you gently perspire;

Why did I start? Well there’s this bike shop near my house where two really hot guys work. I just love jogging past in my tiny lycra hot pants and love humps jiggling, to catch a glimpse of the little, balding, tubby one.... SNAP OUT OF IT PAUL, YA DREAMIN’.

As much as you’d like to give yourself credit, Detai, it wasn’t all your doing. Just had a friend who was doing the Brooks fun tri series and I thought, shit, if she can do it so can I. I was hooked after one race. Wanted to do tris my whole life but hated the idea of getting sand in my shoes and didn’t own a bike. I have to say though, it got under my skin when you suggested I didn’t even know how far a half IM was let alone complete one. You unleashed the beast that day.

I’d also done some hard yards working in Hong Kong for 3 years and I promised myself that when it was over I’d live a life that I ‘really’ wanted - it was going to involve something physical.

I am self motivated but three people who have influenced my approach are:

Greg Stewart - my coach for past year who has pushed me to a new level with his down to earth, wholistic attitude to competition. He’s brought out the mongrel in me. He keeps it real. His race brief for NZ was simple, “Ya just gotta win the thing!” So I did. I have a load of respect for Greg so I don’t want to let him down.

Dunstan Bertschinger - Sydney based athlete extraordinaire, TI instructor, tri coach and great human. He has recently started coaching under the name Human Growth. Dunstan can take credit for my killer transitions and has taught me more about technique than anyone. He’s the ‘easy-speed' master and the best teacher I’ve ever met. He’s also got me in the loop with some key teachers who I’m privileged to have spent time with.

Valmay Wilkie of ‘Valmays Finger Food’ - my first netball coach who scolded me one for not showing up to training by saying, “If you don’t train you don’t get a game”. So I trained my arse off and never missed a session or game for the whole season. When the grand final came around, you know what? I was on the bench. Thanks Valmay, you great tub of lard.

2. Family is very important in this sport. Your mum and sister i know have watched you race locally. I know you have a Bro, have never heard about your dad. Do these guys support you through out this sport via spectating, offering advice, help? Will any of them be going to Kona with you? What value has your family added to your sporting endeavours?

Is family important in this sport? Will your achievements have more merit if there are witnesses? I’ve always been self-reliant. I have 2 sisters and a brother, scattered all over the world and I doubt they’ve ever heard of Kona. I asked Mum if she’d care to come to Hawaii to watch the race and she replied that she’d rather go to England for a holiday and she suggested that one day I may get good enough to run in the London Marathon. On-ya Mum! My brother and sisters have priorities that are non-sports related.

Dad never knew me as a triathlete as he passed away before I started.

3. I used to wait, every afternoon, around 5.45pm, for you to run past the shop. I’d watch you as you ran towards us, then away. It’s fair to say that you had a body back then that was pretty damn good. Today, love humps gone, muscled up, tighter butt. I liked it then, i like it now. Your body has changed soooo much. Tell us about what you worked on, and what you did to make these changes, weather you get some flattering comments as well?

Did you type that with one hand otherwise occupied? You’re a sick man, Paul. I’ve been in your shop when a 75 year old granny on a motorised wheel chair came past and you still drooled. :lol:

Hate to burst your bubble mate, but competing has never been about vanity. I simply love feeling strong, always have. When I was a netballer, I had a netballers build. I was a State League goal shooter and my build matched the type of training I did. I’ve gone from power/agility based training to extreme endurance so of course your body changes. If you’re honest with your training, your body adapts.

Flattering comments? Everyone just says I look tired. ;)

4. 2 prt Q. Times ticking honey, you are not getting any younger. I know you were married once, that’s history now, but are you interested in ‘getting your eggs wet’ and producing little Grinches in the near future. I know you are tossing up your future after Kona, not much higher on the scale of things for you. What are your life plans after Kona?

That question is wrong on so many levels, honey. Besides, I’m holding out for a visit from yoyo. :lol:

Future plans are pretty well set. Expect big changes this summer. Having another crack at Kona next year will depend on my motivation after October. If I do decide to have a second go, just watch! My plans for this year will see a lifestyle change that will put me in a better situation for 2007 than present.

5. Tell us about your diet! I know you sometimes eat meat, but not much....what else tickles your taste buds to get you where you are now?

You’ve been reading your wife’s Women’s Weeklys.

Paulie... dear man, my appetite is insatiable, baby! But, no junk. Little or no alcohol. Organic F&V. Grow my own stuff - toms, lettuce, spinach, apricots, plums, lemons, herbs. Good habits came from my upbringing. My Dad used to make our bread from home ground wheat. Mum’s a great cook. Junk food has never been a habit in my family. Can’t get enough coffee.

6. Swimming. When you started squad training a couple of years back, you were in my lane. That’s not saying much for your swimming back then when a fat, unhealthy, swims 10 times a year guy leads you out. But you quickly got a hell of a lot better. I put that down to proper amount of lap training. You say TI is the bomb. I totally disagree......it’s the workload that has made you a good swimmer.

Bit of both of what you say, Paul. If you have no technique, what’s the point of ingraining bad habits with lap after lap of mindless swimming. TI is the only method I’ve found that explains the principles of efficient swimming in a way that make sense - balance, feel, alignment, relaxation and propulsion. It’s not just about arms and legs, TI is a whole body approach. However, once the foundations are laid by TI, have no illusions, hard work is required at squad to build a fast, fit swimmer.

Improvement hasn’t happened overnight. I’ve done all I can to learn about swimming and to become a good teacher. I expect to keep improving over the coming years. Thanks for giving me the chance to give TI a plug. PM me if you’d like to do a workshop.

7. Tell us about the move into HIM and IM......what did you see in the distance when you were just racing short course that dragged you in? Because you were winning your age group in the local shorter races, now you are winning them in longer events. Which is worth more for personal achievement, because a win is a win regardless.....right?

I love sprint distance most but Ironman is the pinnacle. Facing up to the startline at Ironman is not for the faint-hearted. Ironman is something many don’t dare to do. With so many IM legends at Western Suburbs Tri Club, how could I not catch the bug?

Drove up and watched Forster in 2003 to see what it was all about. As the race unfolded I was planning what it would take to beat Bentley next year. I will never beat her of course but doing Ironman distance is my biggest personal achievement in triathlon so far.

Competed for Australia at The World Duathlon Champs at Newcastle last year but couldn’t get enthusiastic about it and had an ordinary race. It just didn’t stack up to an Ironman for personal fulfilment. As a consequence I have no desire to qualify for World OD either. It’s like good coffee. Once you get a taste for it you can never go back to Nescafe.

8. You’ve pulled a few IM and quite a few HIM. What has been your most memorable race, your most forgettable and what’s one thing you’d change in your race plan? .....also, what has been your best times?

For a minute there, I thought you were asking how many athletes I’ve pulled - silly me. Interesting use of words. Not sure about pulling a few IM and HIMs. Pulled a Tinman once.

Most memorable race? There are a few. First IM at Forster 2004 because it felt easy. Shepparton HIM 2005 because I set a goal to break 5hrs and I did. First club race of 05/06 season because I finally beat the club champ who I’d had on a pedestal for 3 years. Caused a stir at WSTC.

Do you mean race times or fun times?

Best race times are yet to come as I’m still improving.

Other kind of ‘best times’ have been racing and training down the coast with Greg Stewarts squad, training holidays in Victorian Alps, any run up Mt Feathertop (my favourite mountain), Gold Coast Marathon in 2003, getting high in Victorian Alps at 4 Peaks Alpine Climb 2004 and Alpine Classic 2006, NZ trip with GSP :lol: and Matty :D even though I slept through most of it.

The best days are heading out to the bush and running for hours over deserted trails - Dayleford, You Yangs, Pyrenees, Otways, Grampians, Wilson’s Prom.

The very best day of all was running solo for 4 hours through the Colorado Rockies up to Sky Pond and back - started in sunshine, got to turn-around in thigh deep snow. Made it on one Cliff Bar and a litre of water. Got lost for a bit but it’s a priceless memory.

9. KONA.......OMG. The big one. How cool is that? What advice have you looked for and have you set any race plans as yet? I know its still a few months away, but you must think about it daily? How is the training going to plan and can you tell us about your big weeks coming up......just how big will they be?

Bet you never thought the chick with love humps would be off to Kona one day, Paulie.

Will be looking within and trusting my instincts in preparation to race and during the race. Absorbing what I’m being told and filtering out the crap. My lead in is planned with plenty of time to acclimatise, I’ve got one bad-arse coach and a small circle of very caring friends who believe in my ability more than I do. No race plans yet but would like to spank it!

Training going so very well, have not missed a beat since day one. Foot is on the gas. The weeks will be big but working full time at the hospital will keep it within check.

10. I know you played other sports. Netball i think it was. You played fairly high level, did you not? Tell us about your other sporting achievements.

22 years in Netball - 5 years in State League

TaeKwonDo black belt

Dragon Boating and running in Hong Kong

Bit of golf

High school athletics - sprint/power events (100, 200, Long, triple, high, hurdles).

Horse riding whenever possible.

11. Grinch, You floored me the other day with a PM. I know it takes a lot to floor me........you have a wild side that is just itching to get out. What would you get upto if you LET yourself off the chain? (just so i know where to find you)

Well I won’t be in Melbourne. When I let myself off the chain, I’ll be getting hot and dirty but not as you know it. There’ll be riding, they’ll be speed, they’ll be whips cracking, leather and plenty of red wine. Good luck finding me.:D

As always, it’s been a pleasure getting done by you Paulie Pops. I’ve enjoyed your probing questions immensely.

Thanks Greer, you are a real champ. And thanks for letting me throw in a few innuendos :D;):gathering:

Edited by The Grinch

If you have no technique, what’s the point of ingraining bad habits with lap after lap of mindless swimming. TI is the only method I’ve found that explains the principles of efficient swimming in a way that make sense - balance, feel, alignment, relaxation and propulsion. It’s not just about arms and legs, TI is a whole body approach. However, once the foundations are laid by TI, have no illusions, hard work is required at squad to build a fast, fit swimmer.

Beautifully put Grinch!

Wow, that's been the best interview yet in my opinion. You're one inspirational chicky, and my new hero :lol:

Wouldn't mind a bit of "TI" and a "whole body approach" at Grinchies place.... :lol:

Greer.... special bonus question from the golden child, the peoples champ..the Y-O....

You're into endurance sports (obviously, duh) and you say you like throwing the leg over (in the equine sense.. :lol: )

Ever think about combining the two and having a crack at the Tom Quilty ?

Guest The Grinch
Greer.... special bonus question from the golden child, the peoples champ..the Y-O....

You're into endurance sports (obviously, duh) and you say you like throwing the leg over (in the equine sense.. :lol: )

205815[/snapback]

Very interested in endurance riding. We'll see what the next year brings. Certainly have the contacts to make it happen and can get my hands on the right kind of mount - Pretty Boy Floyd. He's even prettier than you, Yoyo.

205815[/snapback]

Very interested in endurance riding. We'll see what the next year brings. Certainly have the contacts to make it happen and can get my hands on the right kind of mount - Pretty Boy Floyd. He's even prettier than you, Yoyo.

205816[/snapback]

Pfft.. clearly you are telling porky pies there...!

I hope PBF is an Arab! Apparently several 1/4 horses and a few thoroughbreds passed out when they saw this years course..... :D

Great responses Greer.

Love this one especially

Why did I start? Well there’s this bike shop near my house where two really hot guys work. I just love jogging past in my tiny lycra hot pants and love humps jiggling, to catch a glimpse of the little, balding, tubby one.... SNAP OUT OF IT PAUL, YA DREAMIN’.

:lol::D

Still, I think it's lost on him :lol:

All the best for Kona and future endeavours - Victoria will be the poorer for you moving elsewhere.

:D Steely pointed you out to me at NZ Ironman,You are HOT!!!!,I am in Hong kong at the Moment,Makes me want to get back to Aus quick smart!!!!!,If you need a place to train for Kona distraction free in winter,Come up to my place in Townsville,Rent free Of course!!!!! :lol:

Guest The Grinch

Hi Chucky

Your inbox is full so can't PM you.

Do you train with Alan Jefferson in Townsville? He's one of Greg Stewarts mates. Greg wanted to me to train for a few weeks with him in Townsville before Kona but I don't think I'll be able to get away from work :lol:

Catch ya!

3. I used to wait, every afternoon, around 5.45pm, for you to run past the shop. I’d watch you as you ran towards us, then away. It’s fair to say that you had a body back then that was pretty damn good. Today, love humps gone, muscled up, tighter butt. I liked it then, i like it now. Your body has changed soooo much. Tell us about what you worked on, and what you did to make these changes, weather you get some flattering comments as well?

Did you type that with one hand otherwise occupied? You’re a sick man, Paul. I’ve been in your shop when a 75 year old granny on a motorised wheel chair came past and you still drooled.  :gathering:

Hate to burst your bubble mate, but competing has never been about vanity. I simply love feeling strong, always have. When I was a netballer, I had a netballers build. I was a State League goal shooter and my build matched the type of training I did. I’ve gone from power/agility based training to extreme endurance so of course your body changes. If you’re honest with your training, your body adapts.

:cheers:  :drunk:  :angry:

205729[/snapback]

:lol::D:lol::D;) About as subtle as a cricket bat to the back of the head! I've seen car crashes with less impact, cop that one pauli :lol::D;)

Love your work Grinch!

:D Hi,Grinch,I have cleaned up my in box,just got back home to Aus!!!,I do know,Alan Jefersen,Allan is a nice very unassuming guy who slipped into town last December,He is our new King pin here,I would say He would Roll Max Feagan.Allan is going to use this town for a vey serious Kona assault,in terms of training for Hawaii,Cairns is good,I feel Townsville is the Bomb for it,!!!Will be doing a lot of open swimming with Alan in the next few months,Drop me a email.!!! :lol: