Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions With Kanangra

Kanangra, Stephen Firth, step forward please.

1. Kanangra. IM Live decsribed you as "one of Australia's most popular age group athletes". How would you descibe yourself? I'm saying late bloomer, but I bet you mention, no athletic ability....not true, but you will definitely mention that.

2. Steve, what's your height, optimum racing weight including fluctuations in weight in a calendar year?

3. Steve. I only have your recent history. I have 2 IMWA, 2 Kona, 1 Malaysia would you please update that?

4. Steve, you doubled up and tripled up frequently after very gruelling races. Notably you went from Kona 04, straight to Busso & immediately claimed your Kona slot again. Many athletes would burn out on that kind of schedule, but not you. Do you take any scheduled time off and how do you avoid burn out.

4. Mate, in addition to that gruelling schedule, you also raced many mixed distance races and I think you already qualified for the World LC, Dec 06. Same question. How is it all possible?

5. Kanangra. You are racing at Port, 3 lap format. Going well enough you are hopeful of another podium finish. Unfortunately your front wheel buckles and you have to pull over. Support wagon shows immediately and they toss you a wheel, which you immediately change........at that moment Lisa Bentley rides up behind you......"God, I need a new front wheel, she says"..........support crew has gone. What do you do?

6. Steve. Depending on your answer, does any of the above constitute outside assistance?

7. Steve, IM Malaysia '06, completed in 10:57 and you won your AG. Given that Malaysia is rated much harder than our 2 Aussie races , was that your best performance? Could you compare the trip, Syd-Perth, vs Syd-KL-Langkawi, which was the easier, or which is the preferable trip?

8. Steve, have you ever keyed off other competitors during your races.....let's say someone you know who might legally pace you during the bike leg?

9. Mate, have you received any formal coaching. If not have who has given you the most meaningful advice in your career so far?

10. Steve, I don't always envy you guys, but when you first arrived at Kona and you were BBQing a giant tuna, with family and friends, I did feel a twinge of, "God, I wish I was there".....Steve, given all the time and expense, (silly question coming) has it all been worth it?

Bonus Question.

11. Race wise, retrospectively, would you have done anything different within the races? Anything which might have made a difference?

Thanks Mr. Firth for taking the time to answer.

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

Steve, click the reply box. That will place all the Qs inside one block of quotes. ie.

[ quote=K2, date etc.] 1.blah 2.blah 3.blah [ /quote]

the best way from there is to break up the Qs like so

[ quote=K2, date etc.] 1.blah [ /quote]

insert answer

[ quote] 2.blah [ /quote]

insert answer

[ quote] 3.blah [ /quote]

insert answer

NB. you must keep the pairs balanced otherswise it doesn't display correctly, use the "Preview Post" button to check first

NB. also there is no blank between "[" and "quote" - I had to place them so you could see the source tags

Kanangra, Stephen Firth, step forward please.

1. Kanangra. IM Live decsribed you as "one of Australia's most popular age group athletes". How would you descibe yourself? I'm saying late bloomer, but I bet you mention, no athletic ability....not true, but you will definitely mention that.

I am essentially a sporting tragic. Love sport; always have, but never been any good at it. At school I would come last in all the running races. My younger brother would beat me in the pool. I was always last picked for sporting teams. You get the picture. Then at about 40 when I was 100kg; chained to a desk; and all but given up, along comes triathlon and my life is transformed, hopefully forever.

2. Steve, what's your height, optimum racing weight including fluctuations in weight in a calendar year?

I'm 6' in the old money. My optimum racing weight is 73kg but I blow out to 77kg in the off season. I ran at 76.6kg. on Sunday.

3. Steve. I only have your recent history. I have 2 IMWA, 2 Kona, 1 Malaysia would you please update that?

I have completed: 9 IM Australia, 3 IM Hawaii, 2 IM WA, 2 IM NZ, and one each of Switzerland, Roth and Malaysia.

4. Steve, you doubled up and tripled up frequently after very gruelling races. Notably you went from Kona 04, straight to Busso & immediately claimed your Kona slot again. Many athletes would burn out on that kind of schedule, but not you. Do you take any scheduled time off and how do you avoid burn out.

I'm actually finding that I recover more quickly these days than in the early years. For the first 5 years I only did one IM each year. But these days I prefer to get more value for the training effort by doing 2 or 3 in say 6 weeks. Next year Malaysia- Port-China looks promising in the first part of the year and Kona- IM Florida- IM WA in the latter part of the year.

I will admit though that doing Port Half a few days after stepping off the plane from Kona was a challenge this year.

But to answer your question:

I dont take a lot of time off no. The way I see it IM is a lot like Mt Everest. It's difficult to get  to the top at the best of times, but it is so much harder from sea level than it is from the South Col. Now I realise you cant stay at the top of the mountain all the time. You do have to come down. But I dont like to let myself go to far down. It is a long way back up.

4. Mate, in addition to that gruelling schedule, you also raced many mixed distance races and I think you already qualified for the World LC, Dec 06. Same question. How is it all possible?

Yes to be honest IM is my least favoured distance. I much prefer the halves and I try and do at least 3 of those each year. I've had a good run with those since turning 45 a few years back. I'm really looking forward to the World LC this year. I've not raced that distance since Nice in 2000 and think it might really suit me.

I'm just hooked on the racing I guess.

5. Kanangra. You are racing at Port, 3 lap format. Going well enough you are hopeful of another podium finish. Unfortunately your front wheel buckles and you have to pull over. Support wagon shows immediately and they toss you a wheel, which you immediately change........at that moment Lisa Bentley rides up behind you......"God, I need a new front wheel, she says"..........support crew has gone. What do you do?

Ride on. Seriously. We're all racing.

6. Steve. Depending on your answer, does any of the above constitute outside assistance?

No because it is from a designated official source. Happened to me at IM Switzerland last year. Waited 40 mins for the wheel to arrive too. Most of that time was spent trying to make myself understood.

7. Steve, IM Malaysia '06, completed in 10:57 and you won your AG. Given that Malaysia is rated much harder than our 2 Aussie races , was that your best performance? Could you compare the trip, Syd-Perth, vs Syd-KL-Langkawi, which was the easier, or which is the preferable trip?

To be honest IM Malaysia is not a difficult course. I would rate it much easier than Port. But like Hawaii it is the conditions that made that race hard. 40 deg's on the run. Stifling humidity. I suffered on that run and actually squandered a big lead off the bike. With 4 k to go I was passed and I was gone. But mentally I found something and retook the lead and held on long enough to win. That was satisfying but I regard IM WA '04 as my best performance over that distance. I led from start to finish. Missed breaking 10 hours by 33 secs. Ran about 3:38 that day which remains my best.

As a destination I prefer WA. To be honest Langkawi is overrated.

8. Steve, have you ever keyed off other competitors during your races.....let's say someone you know who might legally pace you during the bike leg?

No never.

9. Mate, have you received any formal coaching. If not have who has given you the most meaningful advice in your career so far?

Not really I'm self taught and that probably explains a lot.

At different times I've trained with coaches for a short while. John Hill in 2002 and Grant Giles in 2003 and 2004.

I just find that I need to do the sets when I can find the time, not when the program says they have to be done. I'm a self starter and dont need a coach as a motivator but I'm sure there is much I could learn in the right hands.

10. Steve, I don't always envy you guys, but when you first arrived at Kona and you were BBQing a giant tuna, with family and friends, I did feel a twinge of, "God, I wish I was there".....Steve, given all the time and expense, (silly question coming) has it all been worth it?

Absolutely unquestionably. This sport has changed my life, the way I look at the world and the way I look at myself. Through it I have achieved what I never thought to be possible; be competitive with my peers in a sport!!

At my 40th birthday party we had a quizz. One of the questions was: What is Steve's biggest disappointment in life. It was multiple choice. The correct answer was: never represented his country in anything. This sport changed that. It has been very good to me.

Bonus Question.

11. Race wise, retrospectively, would you have done anything different within the races? Anything which might have made a difference?

Yes definitely. I would have looked after my nutrition a lot better and not gone so hard early.

Thanks Mr. Firth for taking the time to answer.

204923[/snapback]

:lol:  :D  :lol:

Great stuff Steve, its a pleasure to know you!

204967[/snapback]

We've met once (at Pedals Plus opening), can I pretend I know you :D ? Interesting to know more about you. As JimmyC once said not bad for an old lawyer (but not that old!).

He did actually. Started with Ernie Sigley in the 80's. Then Bert Newton in the 90's.

Still have the old videos. It was a toss up who had the bigger rounder face; Bert or me. :lol:

Steve,

Great answers.

You are one of the reasons I will keep trying at Triathlon.

One of the nicest guy's I have met always happy smiling and ready for a chat even when racing.

Just like on Sunday as you ran past me a go Brick makes a lot of difference too how you feel when racing.

Thanks Steve for just being you and a great freind. :D:lol:

Brick

:lol:

I've met Steve but I can't remember where. I think it was either at a CP session or when I was volunteering at ACTHIM, or both :lol:

Very nice guy :D

FatPom it was at the Can HIM a few years back. You were captain of the Bell Tower drink station and you asked us all to yell for Fat Pom when we came through. That was the year you developed your since patented cup holding method.

sounds like a "when I met Steve" session so cannot help myself,

shared the elevator with him, race morning, Port this year, and I hope to be half as prepared as him next year (not 25% like this year) - see you in the lift next year Steve !

Steve can you please tell everyone about your Pier One race and the wetsuit.

I think people have to know how hard core you really are.

FP, you also met Kanangra at the Lord Nelson a few years back....

I second all the good things said about Steve. Always says hello and always remembers Snoo and Rosella's names and says hello to them too. It's a pity we didn't know we were on the same plane back from Busso :lol:

It was BRW '97. I was in a team from work. Didn't own a wetsuit in those days so I borrowed one from a mate. Full steamer. Dont know why the swim was only about 300m! Couldn't get the bloody thing off could I? Zipper was stuck. No one to help. So just jumped on the bike and took off. Hit the run with the thing still on so carried on. Sun was out nearly feinted. It was hot in there. When they peeled it off me at the end enough steam poured out to bring rain.

Couldn't let the fellas down now could I?

Edited by Kanangra

:lol:

Lucky the run didnt go down Oxford St Steve, might have got yourself a whole new fan club!

That was the year you developed your since patented cup holding method.

ah yes, the old 'Tripod Grip' :lol: I've since developed the perfect bike stn banana pass off, and once I work out a technique for efficient bike catching and racking I'll be running clinics :D

No but the Sydney Marathon does each year. They're just falling out of the pubs as we come through. :lol:

205004[/snapback]

Steve did you sat that Divine lookalike last year as we went up Flinders St? She/He was an amazing sight.

The thing that got me was on the way back into the city, there were loads of Tintin lookalikes in white singlets queuing up to get into another bar. And that was around 10am! That is hardcore!

these days I prefer to get more value for the training effort by doing 2 or 3 in say 6 weeks.

IM is a lot like Mt Everest. It's difficult to get  to the top at the best of times, but it is so much harder from sea level than it is from the South Col.

Steve, such an eloquent analogy.

Another question for you. I know you have a love of bushwalking. What are the most enjoyable trails you have hiked or run? Either in Aust or overseas.

Bush walking, canoeing,canyoning and ski touring are in fact my first loves. Walked/ ran/ ridden extensively in the Blue Mts. Barrinton Tops and in Sthn. Qld. Rode from Katoomba to Mittagong in the days before MTB's. Love the Kiandra To Mt K. x country ski run mid winter. Nothing like being up on the Kerries in a complete white out. Did many of the Blue Mts canyons in the early days. Claustral, Thunderstorm, SureFire, Heart Attack, Rocky Ck. Canoed most of the big rivers on the east coast, Shoalhaven, Manning, Barrington, Moppy, Hastings, Clarence etc.

But really the best walking country is NZ. Done many great walks there. Milford, Routeburn, Dart Rees, Travers Sabine, Heaphy, Tongariro Arthurs Pass NP.. Great canoeing there too.

Ah just thinking about it makes me wonder what I'm doing here at work? :lol:

Yurtie yes I have. Went in at Mt Vic. once and came out at Yarramundi.

Oh and I forgot. I was into caving in a big way particularly at Bungonia, Wee Jasper, Timor, Jenolan etc.

There's a "movement" at the moment to have that track opened up as a "World Heritage Walk".

I have a book on it that was published last year by an adhoc group that is trying to identify all the original work. Good thing they never put the railway through there. :lol:

Great read Firthy.

Firthy joins us for some training rides at times and I generally think 'aawwww damn this is going to hurt, I was hoping for an easy ride today' :lol:

Simply as strong as an Ox and one of the nicer people you could meet.

Ten Questions With An Age Grouper, who wants to be like him?

Nice Steve. Pleasure to know you.

Good q's K2 - keep up the good work.

Mark

Then at about 40 when I was 100kg; chained to a desk

204923[/snapback]

Jeez, this sounds a bit familiar! Except for the past tense.

Great thread! Ditto on everyone's praise. It's been really good catching up on the few races we've done together.

You're definately one of my inspirations Steve, keep it up mate. :lol: