Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions With A Country Boy

Hey Hymie, thanks for coming on so early.

1. Hym, you did one IM, but you had to work really hard to get your qualification. If you go again, what's your strategy to avoid having to dash around doing more than one qualifier?

2. Hymie. Some posters conceal there line of work, but you choose not too. As a policeman, off duty, going out, like out on the bike in a country area where you might be recognised. Have you ever faced any problems like that, you know harassment or similar? Any direct confrontation.

3.Hymie. Qld has Noosa, Moloolaba, Hell of the West, Yepoon, etc, NSW has Port & some plum events in the ACT, WA now has Busso. In Victoria what's the premier event on the calendar? And Hym, why isn't a great race like Torquay drawing more?

4. Hym. You raced with a lady called Stacey. Let's say your racing IM and you are going ok, on for a massive PB. Mrs Hymie as mentioned, also having a big day, comes running past you, as she might, gives a wave and runs on. About 10k to go, you overtake her again, this time she's blown and is attempting to run on with difficulty. You are still going well as you pass her. What do you do next?

5.Hymie. With 3 kids and a wife who is also keen to train. How do you both manage that?

6. Hym, you spot someone shortcutting during a HIM you are also competing in. You identify the no. Do you report this to the RD?

7. Hymie. It is noted you are a big AFL fan, Hym, what other sports did you participate in?

8. Now Hymie, you go interstate for an event...........some guy approaches you, wants to sell a limited edition bike,mint condition, Trek. You well know it could be worth $12000, but he's offering it for $1000.......do you buy?

9. Tell you something funny Hym, Yamada Toro gets on the forum.....one of our posters starts feeding the guy Tri links in Japan (apologies Brick), then esteemed forum member Slowman starts debating Japanese whaling quotas with Yamada...it's hilarious...but it flies over most of the heads....geez, forgot my question..oh, this forum has massive entertainment value & some Tri value to a degree...this stuff would not be tolerated on other forums. Why does it work here?

10. Hym. You did cross the line at Forster, mate, what was it like to have finally done that after quite a few years of planning?

Thanks mate, little rush job on my part, due to time constraints.

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

4. What do you do nest?

204381[/snapback]

ROTFLMAO, very obscure, but is it really the time to start nesting in an IM race K2? :lol:

Run along Nige, you might be late for work, :lol: and don't say you are working from home :D

Hey Hymie, thanks for coming on so early.

1. Hym, you did one IM, but you had to work really hard to get your qualification. If you go again, what's your strategy to avoid having to dash around doing more than one qualifier?

204381[/snapback]

An interesting question K2, I did work hard to get to Forster, but I enjoyed doing that. I learned a lot out of it. I don't think I would have done as well at Forster if I hadn't had to work so hard. If I head to Port I will look at doing Tassie, a few blokes from the club did it last year and raved about it, from what I have seen it is a little easier to qualify there as well. At this stage the game plan is for Stacey to do Port and I will line up for IMWA in 2007.

2. Hymie. Some posters conceal there line of work, but you choose not too. As a policeman, off duty, going out, like out on the bike in a country area where you might be recognised. Have you ever faced any problems like that, you know harassment or similar? Any direct confrontation.

I've never had any real problems while out on the bike. Once you have a helmet and glasses on, it is very hard to recognise anyone, unless you know them well. I've never been deliberately confronted as a policeman off duty on the bike. I have had a number of incidents with motorists doing something stupid while I have been out on the bike, having said that I would only call one incident a genuine near miss. I have gone and spoken to the drivers later in uniform and generally they got a ticket for their trouble. I don't to that for everything I see, only the stuff I consider dangerous or outstandingly stupid. When I'm off duty I try to be Joe public as much as I can.

3.Hymie. Qld has Noosa, Moloolaba, Hell of the West, Yepoon, etc, NSW has Port & some plum events in the ACT, WA now has Busso. In Victoria what's the premier event on the calendar? And Hym, why isn't a great race like Torquay drawing more?

It's a very interesting question K2. As much as I'd like to say the Shepparton Half Ironman is the premier event, I don't think we have quite achieved that. It certainly is popular with the long course athletes, but it doesn't interest the sprint and OD crowd. I can't think of a single event in Vic that has a Noosa type aura to it. Perhaps the Geelong OD race has the potential, as it is a great course and location. It seems Victorians are more interested in a series, such as the very popular Gatorade Series, rather than a single event.

Having done the Torquay race, I don't understand why it isn't a lot more popular. A great location, a challenging swim, a safe bike course and an awesome, but very challenging run out to Bell's Beach. This race should easily attract 500+ entrants, it staggers me that it doesn't. Nick and his crew do a great job with this race.

4. Hym. You raced with a lady called Stacey. Let's say your racing IM and you are going ok, on for a massive PB. Mrs Hymie as mentioned, also having a big day, comes running past you, as she might, gives a wave and runs on. About 10k to go, you overtake her again, this time she's blown and is attempting to run on with difficulty. You are still going well as you pass her. What do you do next?

Stacey and I are fairly competitive with each other, but it is healthy competition. If she passed me in the run I'd be working my arse off to make sure she didn't get away. However back to the question, the answer is simple. She is my wife and the person I love most, I'd stop. She would hate that as we take a great deal of pride in each other's achievements. Stacey is very proud and very tough and determined, she would never give up. In the end it is only a triathlon and I can try for a PB on another day. We both intend to be in this sport for a long time.

5.Hymie. With 3 kids and a wife who is also keen to train. How do you both manage that?

We have become very good at time management. Also it is an incentive to get out of bed, as if we lie in, the chance to train is gone. We comprimise, to allow the other to get out there. While we were training for IM, I took time off work and we used up a lot of favors with family and friends for babysitting. Hence Port this years was not an option as we couldn't do that again. Now we will take it in turns. It is kind of disapointing as we love racing together, it add extra interest.

6. Hym, you spot someone shortcutting during a HIM you are also competing in. You identify the no. Do you report this to the RD?

In short yes. They have cheated and should know better. It would be a harder decision if it was some one I knew, but I think I would still report it. I'd have to be 100% certain they did cheat before I reported it.

7. Hymie. It is noted you are a big AFL fan, Hym, what other sports did you participate in?

I played Aussie Rules badly, mainly in the reserves of a local side in a small country town not far from where I grew up. I had a great time and loved the club, could have played regular seniors at another club, but didn't want to leave. While I was there the seniors won 7 out of 8 permierships and the reserves won 4 out of 5. I played in 3 reserves permiership sides and just missed out in playing in a senior one. I share a special bond with the people I played with. I just wish I knew as much about training and fitness then as I do now, I would have played a lot more senior football, but such is life.

I pretty much stopped playing organised team sport when I joined the police force. Shift work and moving to Melbourne didn't help.

Over the years I've played a lot of different sports, but haven't been particularly good at any of them. I guess I am the classic enthusiastic amatuer. I've played tennis, indoor netball, been a competitive clay target shooter. Done some bush walking and hunting. Water skied a bit, only recreationally, never raced.

Stacey started me doing fun runs in my early 20's, I've done about 7 of the Olympic Dream Runs

Nowdays I am coaching my son's under 8's soccer team, an interesting experience as I have only ever played one school soccer game.

I am also a volunteer fire fighter with the local brigade, have been for the last 3 years or so.

I have to go I'll finish when I get back from taking the kids to school.

We have become very good at time management. Also it is an incentive to get out of bed, as if we lie in, the chance to train is gone. We comprimise, to allow the other to get out there.

I can see it now...

"No dear, I'll take one for the team and stay in bed so you can get up to train..."

"No darling, I'll sacrifice my session for you. You can go training this morning, I'll stay in bed"

:lol:

Edited by WebSwim

Run along Nige, you might be late for work, :lol:  and don't say you are working from home :D

204384[/snapback]

No, not from home K2, a cafe in town, dont you love wireless? Nice day, be going for a long walk with Mrs TBNZ soon too :D

Nice replies Hymie, sorry for the hijack mate :lol:

Now back to where I left off;

8. Now Hymie, you go interstate for an event...........some guy approaches you, wants to sell a limited edition bike,mint condition, Trek. You well know it could be worth $12000, but he's offering it for $1000.......do you buy?

No, I wouldn't. If it looks too good to be true, then generally it is. I'd be asking a lot of questions about it. If it looked dodgy I'd walk away. If it looked really suspect I'd be having a chat with the local wallopers about it. I've actually had something like this happen, not with bikes and tri's, but with a mate who was trying to buy a laptop computer over ebay. The deal smelt big time. I contacted the local detectives and a sting was set up. An arrest was made, charges laid and the crook was flogged with a feather at court.

9. Tell you something funny Hym, Yamada Toro gets on the forum.....one of our posters starts feeding the guy Tri links in Japan (apologies Brick), then esteemed forum member Slowman starts debating Japanese whaling quotas with Yamada...it's hilarious...but it flies over most of the heads....geez, forgot my question..oh, this forum has massive entertainment value & some Tri value to a degree...this stuff would not be tolerated on other forums. Why does it work here?

What was the question? Is there a question in there somewhere?

I read a description of this forum as like the post race talkfest in the finish tent with a blend of the post race booze up thrown in for good measure. A bit of training talk, bit of race analysis, a lot of joking around and a fair bit of piss take. Yeah sometimes things get a bit heated or out of hand, but for the most part no one gets hurt too badly. Aussie humour is pretty dry and involves a lot of poking fun at each other. As long as that is how it is taken then things are sweet. It works because we all come from a diverse background, but we all have a common interest in triathlon, but it isn't our only interest, as can be seen by the various threads here.

10. Hym. You did cross the line at Forster, mate, what was it like to have finally done that after quite a few years of planning?

I said in my race report it was like achieving a dream and that is how it was. One of the greatest days in my life and I have so many people to thank for helping me get there. It was all I thought it would be, I was not disapointed at all. I can see why so many people become addicted to it. Race day is such a buzz, I still cannot believe the crowds and the volunteers. They make the race so special. It has to be one of the most inspiring days in sport. It was a lot of hard work, took a long time to do it and was worth every second of time committed to it and $ spent.

11.  What does the future hold for Stacey and Hymie?

Am I being self indulgent by adding my own question? Ahh who cares.

Stacey and I see ourselves as long term long course athletes. We intend to be doing IM's for a long time yet. Theoretically training time should be easier once we have all 3 children in school. The fact Stacey is working 3 days per week out of the house now and the kid's sporting interests are growing, will have an impact, but we will juggle and manage somehow.

I've dipped my toe in the water on the official side of things, becoming a TO, but I haven't been able to follow that through as I can't afford the time or the fuel to travel to Melb to officiate where most of the races are.

I've taken one for the team and joined the race committee for the Shepparton Half Ironman. I took on the role as run course manager last year and found it a very stressful, but learning experience. I said last year I find racing much easier and less demanding, but if we don't take our turn, there will be no races. I love doing the Shepp Half, it's great to race in your home town, but the need to help organise it is greater than my own race ambitions.

Stacey intends to remain an athlete rather than get into the official/organiser side of things. Having said that she does a lot of work towards putting the Shepparton race on, but she hold no official position in the club or committee. One of us is enough.

She has also spent more than 10 years playing, coaching, umpiring and administrating netball in the local area. She has just received a life membership from the local netball association. I am very proud of her as she has put in a tremendous amount into the sport of netball. It was good to see her hard work recognised.

The kids are growing and their interests are going to have to be taken into account, I am acutually doing a junior soccer coaches course, that I am really enjoying and finding interesting. Down the track I might have a look at becoming a tri coach. There seems to be a huge untapped potiential market for junior triathlon in our area.

Hawaii is just a fantasy. The only way I could get there is via the lottery. I just can't see how I could take 2hrs off my IM time without making sacrificing things I am just not prepared to do (would you like the standard divorce with that, or the deluxe with fries?) I would really like to head over and see it as a spectator, just to see what all the fuss is about.

Oh for Yoyo's benefit. My race bike is a Cervelo P3 (silver) with 9spd durace, profile one piece carbon X bars and Spinergy Rev X clincher race wheels. I love the bike and have set some good times on it, but the slowtwitchers would have a fit with the number of spacers I have on the fork to bring the bars up to a ridable height. The bike used to belong to Chris Legh, I bought it off him and no I don't think I have had it goes as fast as he did.

My road bike is a Giant Carbon C1 with 10 spd Ultegra and Ksyrium Elite wheels. A good solid package and plenty of road bike for me.

Stacey rides a Giant Carbon C1 with 9spd Ultegra with better Ksyrium wheels than I have. She uses it for road and tri.