Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten Questions With Pinkboy

PB, Adrian, thanks mate for dropping in today, rest day for you before going back to work for 8 days and therefore unavailable.

1. Pinkboy, mate, at 24 you completed, 8 IM's, that's really an unusual feat, possibly unprecedented at your age. How did it all start? Give some of the highlights, PB's etc.

2. PB, 2004-05, a trip to Kona, engagement, marriage, a new baby (not in that order either), a new house and a career change, everything happened in a 12 month period. That's quite a trip, can you describe that, and perhaps mention any adjustment as everything returns to normal in 2006.

3.PB, forum members will recall, you stood on the beach at Kona (pre-race) with a resting HR of 220 or more. A disaster for anyone. Yet, Adrian you went on to finish the race, fighting medical issues all day. Was that your greatest sporting accomplishment. (EDIT, it was remarkable when you really think about it)

4.PB, the Pinkboy image, it looks to me that IMA & IMG encourage that kind of thing. Did you ever get any indication from them whether thay like it pro or con?

5. OK, Adrian, next logical question here. Running with the cowbells at Port. Let's forget what was said here on the forum. You probably know that a certain no. of people would label that, along with the Pinkboy personna as posing. Did anyone speak to you or directly confront you over that?

6. PB. You are currently working in a higher risk job. Are there any health issues associated with your line of work. OK, I know there are, but how do you cope with the risks and all the issues like being away from home, everything?

7.Logical next question. We all saw what happened down in Tassie. Any feelings as you watched that story unfold?

8. PB, how are Lizzy & check the name, Kona doing? I think that's the name correct me please.

9. Adrian, mate, decent training at the highest level must be nearly impossible now. How do you cope with that one?

10. Last one. Who has been your most influential role model. Let's say in real life and from here on the forum ,I know you got some guidance here too.

PB, thanks for your co-operation, mate?

EDIT NO.2, PB was supposed to drop in today, but also travelling away for work. Sorry to say we might not hear from him until next week.

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

5. OK, Adrain, next logical question here. Running with the cowbells at Port. Let's forget what was said here on the forum. You probably know that a certain no. of people would label that, along with the Pinkboy personna as posing. Did anyone speak to you or directly confront you over that?

203412[/snapback]

I find this really amusing (and this isn't a dig at you K2, I realise it's other people perceptions). From what I know of Pinkboy, he is very quiet, and certainly not the person who craves attention!

From what I believe, he does it as a bit of fun, which I reckon is fantastic. It amuses me that people see it ego, and don't think of any other options.

If I get to do IM, I'll be in an outfit as bright as I can find!

Adrian is very much the quiet achiever in so many aspects of his life!

The Pink thing has been around from his first events - and he's one of only two athletes to have competed all half Irommans at Yeppoon...

He's made it there through good times and bad.

Deserves all the plaudits he can get; I wish the sport was full of such characters and he's actually achieved even more in his life outside the sport!

He is a quiet lad; who enjoys his sport and could never be labelled a poser!

Pinkboy could not be here, sorry, he will be back in 1 week, tried to catch him, but didn't work out. :lol:

pinkboy signing in from Century Mine...

1. Pinkboy, mate, at 24 you completed, 8 IM's, that's really an unusual feat, possibly unprecedented at your age. How did it all start? Give some of the highlights, PB's etc.

C'mon, Im not that old, just recently turned 23. And I have 7 IMs and 14 half IMs under my belt. It all started when I was 16, watching the ultra-distance in Yeppoon where I went to boarding school. I thought to myself, 'yeah, I want a shot at this!' Went on to compete in my first half @ Yeppoon, and the rest is history.

2. PB, 2004-05, a trip to Kona, engagement, marriage, a new baby (not in that order either), a new house and a career change, everything happened in a 12 month period. That's quite a trip, can you describe that, and perhaps mention any adjustment as everything returns to normal in 2006.

'04/'05 was huge for me, as you said. '06 (Oct 28) is our wedding, so this year is kinda huge as well. This year, Im going to try and get back some consistancy in my training, go back to Yeppoon, Busso is in the pipeline, then onto Port Maq, all in my bid to go back to the big island!

3.PB, forum members will recall, you stood on the beach at Kona (pre-race) with a resting HR of 220 or more. A disaster for anyone. Yet, Adrian you went on to finish the race, fighting medical issues all day. Was that your greatest sporting accomplishment. (EDIT, it was remarkable when you really think about it)

I kinda think that my Hawaii race was like Apollo 13 - 'The successful failure' I have unfinished business there, and Im hungry to conqure the island!

4.PB, the Pinkboy image, it looks to me that IMA & IMG encourage that kind of thing. Did you ever get any indication from them whether thay like it pro or con?

I have had my dealings and run-ins with IMA, so they are nor pro or con. Im another athlete out there the same as everyone esle - fulfilling my desire to reach the finishline

5. OK, Adrian, next logical question here. Running with the cowbells at Port. Let's forget what was said here on the forum. You probably know that a certain no. of people would label that, along with the Pinkboy personna as posing. Did anyone speak to you or directly confront you over that?

All comments about that issue were positive or in jest when spoken directly to me after the race. All negative comments have been made either behind my back, and behind faceless individuals who care not to make their identity known. Water off a ducks back I say. I am who I am, and you all are, who you are!

6. PB. You are currently working in a higher risk job. Are there any health issues associated with your line of work. OK, I know there are, but how do you cope with the risks and all the issues like being away from home, everything?

I miss my girls every day Im away from them. I work with many harmful chemicals, and very high risk job, but with the right protective equipment, and my attitude towards safety of myself and others, I can say the risk is lowered, but there is still risk.

7.Logical next question. We all saw what happened down in Tassie. Any feelings as you watched that story unfold?

We all can identify dangers with everyones jobs. Whether your down a mine, or lifting a box of files - you know the risks and dangers and should know the safe way to do things. he story of Tassie was pure interest, not neccesary emotional. great job by the rescuers I say though.

8. PB, how are Lizzy & check the name, Kona doing? I think that's the name correct me please.

Liz and Kona are great. Kona has 3 teeth, and can walk now. She says 'mum' and 'dad', which is special and touching. I love them both dearly, and they are behind me all the way!

9. Adrian, mate, decent training at the highest level must be nearly impossible now. How do you cope with that one?

I now have consideral base. Now I can endure the pain of more quality training with my time constraints. I believe my faster years are yet to come!

10. Last one. Who has been your most influential role model. Let's say in real life and from here on the forum ,I know you got some guidance here too.

I have been inspired by most on this forum. As a young bloke, I look up to the more senior members for advice and all who contribute on topic. I cant name names, there would be too many.

Thanks for the opportunity to be questioned, Im all to happy to help out on the public forum or by PM.

Signing off from Century...

pinkboy

Great job Adrian!

I've got a lot of respect for you and everything you've done. When you make Kona again, hopefully we'll still be here in the US and come over and support as well!

I'll back Novice's comments about our pinkboy. A very quiet young man, almost to the point of being shy. An amazingly mature individual for his age. Some one I have only met once, but I have spoken to a number of times and I am proud to think of him as one of my friends. Well done Adrian. If I can help at your next assault on Kona, let me know.

Great replies to excellent questions guys. These really are gold, and perhaps a new forum should be created to store these interview/profiles in...

It's amazing, just when you think everything's been done to death on here, someone thinks of something fresh. Well done again K2. :lol:

Yes, great comments, enjoyed this one.

PB....I must admit, I dont know you, but saw you at Port Macq. I initially thought, why? BUT, shit it adds something different to the day that is memorable!

And am most impressed with how you have conducted yourself given all negative comments. Takes a strong person to act that way.

Look fwd to what you come up wuth mext year.

GBM

Yes, great comments, enjoyed this one.

PB....I must admit, I dont know you, but saw you at Port Macq. I initially thought, why? BUT, shit it adds something different to the day that is memorable!

And am most impressed with how you have conducted yourself given all negative comments. Takes a strong person to act that way.

Look fwd to what you come up wuth mext year.

GBM

203592[/snapback]

Im usually a typical nice guy, laid back...but 'Go The Dad' - You can go and get f-kED, try me, Ill knuckle you anytime!

Couldn't get away with that in child care, must be the miner in him coming out.

My point is, he is all meek and mild and everyone loves him, but he'll take ya out the back and give you a flogging if you rile him. Was that the bit that impressed you? Cos I love a bit of pub justice as much as the next man.

"A very quiet young man, almost to the point of being shy. "

YoYo disagrees.....

Nothing personal re Pinky though..... but you can't tell me that a MALE that wears pink racesuits and dyes his hair pink etc etc etc is quiet" and "shy"...... :lol:

You don't see the Y-O out there with a wall clock hanging around his neck aka Flava Flav...! ("what time is it, bbooooooyyyy....") :D:lol:

I think YoYo has met Adrian once from memory... he prob wouldnt even know me in the street... Pinky for your reference I train with Flacky....

Nothing more than he works in mines and hangs out in the public bar with guys in flannos and no front teeth and comes out hard on the front foot if anyone gives him shit.

I kinda think that my Hawaii race was like Apollo 13 - 'The successful failure' I have unfinished business there, and Im hungry to conqure the island!

Be careful Adrian, follow your dreams but don't set out to conquer it. ;)

Go with the flow :lol::D

You're a young man, there's lots of time. :lol::D

Couldn't get away with that in child care, must be the miner in him coming out.

203596[/snapback]

Maybe it's the "minor" in him coming out :lol:

Be careful Adrian, follow your dreams but don't set out to conquer it. :lol:

Go with the flow :D:lol:

You're a young man, there's lots of time. :D;)

203705[/snapback]

"Price Check, Aisle 5...."

AP telling someone to "go with the flow" ???? :lol::D

How did this one get through to the 'keeper ?? ;)

Adrian you are a classic in my book which is a good thing. II hope i'm able to bring you down Alii Drive this year.

Good Luck mate!

Mike Reilly

• Like 1

K2 - here is your chance to jump the divide from wherever you are now(?!) over to respectable journalism...

How about 10 questions with Mike?

*Toughest IM ever

*Most spectacular finish

*Hardest hard-luck story

*Nicest nice-guy story

*Personal faves

etc etc

Of course, I suspect he might not "just give these things out" - I think he saves them for keeping the troops entertained a-la IMNZ (where he did a fantastic job, by the way)... but you could try!

Adrian you are a classic in my book which is a good thing. II hope i'm able to bring you down Alii Drive this year.

Good Luck mate!

Mike Reilly

204154[/snapback]

What a compliment .... does it get any better.

Nothing more than he works in mines and hangs out in the public bar with guys in flannos and no front teeth and comes out hard on the front foot if anyone gives him shit.

...and I suppose with that cliche', you are one of these people who think professional athletes live the 'good life', all people on this forum are doctors and lawyers, and a womans job is in the kitchen! People who work in the mines these days are from all sorts of backgrounds, with educations, families, and financial commitments. Sure, there are those that you speak of, but your arrogance blinds your ability to see there are these sort of blokes in the other professional societies as well:

Cos I love a bit of pub justice as much as the next man.

Have a good hard look at yourself Parkside! I dont hang in public bars with blokes in flanno's with no front teeth, for what I do in my 12hrs off is my business, which is usually a little training, dinner, ring the girls and then onto bed.

I have just learned that instead of taking shit from everyone, Im now going to stand up for myself. Im prepared to get beaten if it ever occured, but Im not going to let anyone belittle me and get away with it!

...and tell me of your experiences of childcare - enlighten us? For what I know (and basically my whole working career), some of those ladies have more foul mouths than this whole forum put together!

pinkboy...thanks for all the support from the others!

Ditto Nige(Triboy Nz)..Adrian..stick to what you are doing ....I have known you now for close on 5 yrs(ok mostly from a distance and have admired what you and your wife and bubs are doing with your lives)..keep doing what you are doing.This country could do with a hell of a lot more people like you!

cheers

MoM

Personally, I think Child care and Mining are very respectable careers!

Only downside is the lack of road variety and the long hours, which distract you from your training.

I think even Argie, used to be dirty Miner?

CQ